[layerslider id="5"]

And that means snowdrop time.

They’ve done exceptionally well this year. Carpets of them all over the woodland floor.

Galanthus 'Sam Arnott'

Galanthus ‘Sam Arnott’

I’ve also succumbed to a new one. Yes, I know. It seems I have caught the bug. But as blogging chum bittster (sorta like suburbia) said to me the other day, it’s “just one and really cheap after all”. The real ‘special’ I put back on the nursery shelf as my good friend Torrington Tina is my witness. £20 for just a single bulb.

Galanthus 'Sam Arnott'

Galanthus ‘Sam Arnott’

Who was Sam Arnott? And, crucially, was Sam a girl or a bloke? Well it turns out he was a bloke, born in Dumfries in 1852. And as he was a Scotsman I can still be justified in saying I was looking up his skirts in the photo above. He’s a big boy too. Sort of G. nivalis overblown with allegedly honey scented blooms. You’ll remember my sense of smell is awful.

I’ve a ‘Jacquenetta’ that I could have shown you as well. Not new, purchased a couple of years ago. She was planted in the terraces but something nipped her buds off before her petals even saw the light of day.

Galanthus nivalis

Fear not, dear reader, I have a cunning plan. My collection of ‘specials’ will not be diminished before it’s even begun. There are wild snowdrops naturally occurring in pockets under the trees all the way up the 84 steps. What if I was to sneak up there under cover of darkness, swap them out and put the specials there instead? Would the munching critters even notice do you think?

Being more or less at eye level it would be the perfect place to admire the snowdrops too.

Yesterday, in the rain, I noticed some doubles that are already there.

Helleborus orientalis 'Harvington Dusky'

Helleborus orientalis ‘Harvington Dusky’

The money I saved from not buying that very special snowdrop did not go to waste.

Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin'

Iris reticulata ‘Katharine Hodgkin’

I do love early flowering bulbs. They lift the spirits like nothing else when the weather is dire. This is my only surviving winter iris, of the very many I have planted. Something likes them even more than me. She’s sunk into the ground in a wire mesh cage but at some point the shoot must break the soil surface. Last year I was on the ball and put a cage over the clump air side as well. But if Christmas comes and the gardener is on the beach isn’t it the mice who will be getting fat?

Crocus

Crocus

Also thin on the ground but they’ve left me a few.

Primula vulgaris

Primula vulgaris, the wild primrose

Lovely to see primroses so early in the year

The woodland floor is slowly but surely coming back to life. The daffodils are late this year but what they lack in timeliness they’ve made up for in quantity. I’ve never seen so many buds.

Helleborus ‘Lost Label’

Relocated from my last garden and now forming a substantial clump.

Cyclamen coum

Cyclamen coum

The ants have been busy..

Cyclamen coum

Cyclamen coum

I planted an equal number of white, light pink and as here a darker shade of pink. White now predominates so these are a welcome sight. In the background the river of pulmonaria, cascading down the front slope of the bank, is just coming into bloom.

Pulmonaria

Pulmonaria

Helleborus 'Harvington Rebekah'

Helleborus ‘Harvington Rebekah’

So pleased to see this one too. Last year as a newcomer to the garden she was decimated by slugs. I moved her to a different location and bless her, she has thrived. If you are looking for a fighter then this must surely be it.

Erica carnea 'Nathalie'

Erica carnea ‘Nathalie’

The camera has turned her far too pink but I love how the Ophiopogon planiscapus ‘Nigrescens’ echoes the black centre of each bloom. Perfect planning or pure serendipity? Phew. Did I get away with it again?

Vibernum x bodnantense

Vibernum x bodnantense

Late afternoon light.

Linking to Carol and Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens, where you will find a feast of February bloomers from around the world.

pin it?

2017-02-15T10:28:24+00:00 February 15th, 2017|Tags: |

1. justjilluk February 15, 2017 at 10:35 am - Reply

Beautiful. Thought you were still in Australia !

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 8:19 pm - Reply

Oh I wish! But no, we came back mid January. I’d thought about blogging out there, ‘live’ as it were. But given that we went to such out of the way places internet was patchy to say the least. So I’m catching up with Australia now that we’re back.

2. derrickjknight February 15, 2017 at 11:21 am - Reply

Wonderful displays beautifully photographed. My most recently late wife had a grandfather who was an Arnott from Scotland. I idly wonder if there was any connection.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 8:20 pm - Reply

Stranger things have happened!

3. Sigrun February 15, 2017 at 12:18 pm - Reply

Your pictures are so beautiful and so big, the size of the pictures is very importent. I love them all. S. Arnott was a Scotsman, wonderful. I have two places with this Snowdrop and they are all in bloom now. Your Rebeckah Helleborus is that, what I want to have in the garden. I’m waiting for all my Hellis, but they are still sleeping! You live in a wonderful position.

Sigrun

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 8:24 pm - Reply

The hellebores are just starting off here. Some stay in bloom almost three months (Penny’s Pink in particular) so they are such good value. Up there with the plants I could never be without.

4. Helen Cronin February 15, 2017 at 12:28 pm - Reply

It looks as if your garden is quite a bit warmer than mine and I’m only in North Dorset. Hamamelis and Pulmonaria not in flower yet nor the Primroses. My Hellebores are flowering though which makes up for the disappointing Snowdrop display – I think my garden has been ravaged by mice this year too! Odd that, because 4 cats live next door……. So not so much “whilst the cats away” but “whilst the gardeners’ away the mice do play” as I have also been away

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 8:29 pm - Reply

Those wretched mice. Few bulbs are safe with them around. Snowdrop and daffodil bulbs are supposed to be poisonous though and they do seem to escape being nibbled. Those and the dreaded Spanish bluebell. I’m trying to eradicate them for the sake of the natives in the woodland. And do the mice help me out? No.

5. Freda February 15, 2017 at 12:36 pm - Reply

Very little to see here in the west of Scotland Jessica, so thanks for sharing yours.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 8:39 pm - Reply

It will come. I always get over excited when Spring bulbs start to pop up. A big box of new plants arrived today and now I have the dilemma of whether to plant them out or not. All hardy so I’ll probably risk it.

6. surreycottage February 15, 2017 at 12:43 pm - Reply

Love, love, LOVE your photos – Spring is really getting going now! We have a wonderful display of snowdrops this year too – they have definitely increased in numbers since we moved here in 2014. Daffodils are also budding, despite the fact that this seems to be the spot where all the winds from the Atlantic meet up.
    I love the fact that some random person has, presumably, planted daffodils in all of the Devon banks round here – though with the speed and volume of traffic, it’s not something that i’d be brave enough to attempt!
    My hellebores are looking awfully tatty – no lovely flowers this year (*sob*). Once I have this degree done and dusted (only two more 2000 word essays and one 3000 word one to go), I plan some serious gardening work – and I really can’t wait!

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 8:45 pm - Reply

Thanks. I’ve done very little so far this year. Went out and tackled a vertical bank today though so figured I earned a glass of wine. Good luck with your degree.. sounds like you’re nearly there. That’ll need more than a glass of wine to celebrate!

7. Lea February 15, 2017 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Beautiful! A feast for the eyes!

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 8:46 pm - Reply

Thank you Lea!

8. Marian St.Clair February 15, 2017 at 12:57 pm - Reply

I admire the way you get cozy with your flowers…and even up their skirts. Your photos capture not only the plant, but the thrill we experience in loving them. Good move to nab ‘Harvington Dusky’ in lieu of the $20 snowdrop; hope you can find a late day sun spot to back light its colorful sepals.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 8:56 pm - Reply

I bought a new camera for the Australia trip and have got quite fond of the macro facility. Hence all the close ups!
      Think I have just the place for the hellebore. Worse than that on the snowdrop bulb though. £20. $25 at today’s exchange rate 🙁

9. Backlane Notebook February 15, 2017 at 1:21 pm - Reply

So lovely and perfect timing after your fabulous trip to Australia.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:00 pm - Reply

Seeing the garden burst into bloom has helped a lot. If there’s a next time we’ll come back one month later. Perhaps that way I can avoid some of the shock of re-entry.

10. Christina February 15, 2017 at 1:25 pm - Reply

Your snowdrop bounty is fabulous; who needs the specials I say, I’m very envious of your wonderful display. I don’t think Iris reticulata are ever very good at coming back, it may not be something eating them.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:05 pm - Reply

I’ve heard the same about reticulata. Also that they are more reliable in pots if you have heavy soil. Something to try for next year. It’s fun to have the little gems of the special snowdrops but, I agree, nothing beats seeing them en masse as nature intended.

11. Brenda February 15, 2017 at 1:25 pm - Reply

How lovely. Especially since we are buried under almost two feet of snow.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:06 pm - Reply

Oh no! Keep the faith Brenda, Spring will come.

12. Pauline February 15, 2017 at 2:09 pm - Reply

Absolutely fantastic, love your first photo! We have the same plants flowering, which is as I suppose it should be as we are in the same county. Plants are waking up now with the slightly warmer weather, another couple of weeks and the spring rush will be upon us.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:13 pm - Reply

It will indeed. And I haven’t even got any seeds sown yet. Maybe the Spring rush has already hit.. Thanks Pauline.

13. Dorothy Borders February 15, 2017 at 3:39 pm - Reply

What a wonderful shower of snowdrops! All of those blooms just scream “spring.” Happy Bloom Day.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:15 pm - Reply

I’m ready for Spring. And then when it arrives it needs to be six months long.

14. Linda B. February 15, 2017 at 4:02 pm - Reply

Your garden looks gorgeous at this time of year. The snowdrops look as lovely as the images one sees of the famous snowdrop estates. And your mossy tree with the snowdrops is the kind of garden moment we all live for, you lucky girl! Thanks for sharing.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:18 pm - Reply

When we viewed the house it was January, and snowing hard, there was no hint of what we were to inherit. The woodland garden, especially now with the snowdrops and in May with the bluebells, is an incredible bonus.

15. Christina February 15, 2017 at 4:11 pm - Reply

Hi Jessica, I love, love, love the abundance of snowdrops in your garden. Wow, 20 Pounds for a single snowdrop bulb?! The snowdrop mania must be a special “British thingy”, but I love the British antics! Anyway, even though you skipped the special snowdrops your new one, Galanthus ‘Sam Arnott’, is very lovely. But I have to say to me the doubles are most appealing.
    Thanks for the round up of your February bloomers, it was a joy to see them all!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:22 pm - Reply

People pay even more than that for snowdrops .. literally thousands of pounds. An absolute waste of money here, even if I could afford such a thing, something would eat it! I rather like the doubles too.

16. John Kittredge February 15, 2017 at 5:03 pm - Reply

Here in New Hampshire, USA, we have two feet of snow on the ground and more predicted for tonight. I am so jealous of your early spring weather! With Trump in office, maybe I should move to the U.K.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:29 pm - Reply

Hi John and welcome!
      That’s a lot of snow. It’s been some while since we’ve had that much in the UK, at least down here in the south. It’s very mild at the moment, for February, lulling me into a false sense of security if I’m not careful. There could be many more frosty nights to come. At least your snow offers plants some protection.

17. smallsunnygarden February 15, 2017 at 5:27 pm - Reply

It’s wonderful watching your early bloomers waking up 🙂 Oddly enough, that is what I miss most in my four season garden… I love your photo of the snowdrops nestled into the mossy trunk and ferns – quite atmospheric!

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:31 pm - Reply

I suppose we do need winter to make Spring feel so good. I’d just shift the balance a bit timings wise. Short sharp winter and long, mild Spring!

18. Alana February 15, 2017 at 5:52 pm - Reply

It’s so wonderful to see outdoor flowers. All we have right now is slush and gloom. Oh, for a crocus.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:33 pm - Reply

Hi Alana. Gloom is what we’ve had for most of the last month, so a bit of sunshine and warmth is much needed. Crocuses will come!

19. bitaboutbritain February 15, 2017 at 6:10 pm - Reply

Good grief, is it that time of year already, Jessica? I haven’t got over Christmas yet. WONDERFUL shots – really classy. Of course, I expect no less 🙂

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:44 pm - Reply

Doesn’t time fly. I can’t believe a sixth of the year has almost gone already. Thanks Mike, you’re too kind.

20. Brian Skeys February 15, 2017 at 7:38 pm - Reply

A wonderful show of snowdrops Jessica. I like the idea of planting them all along the 84 steps, I would think hellebores would also work well making it easier to see inside their cheerful faces.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:48 pm - Reply

One of the (few) advantages of gardening on a hill is the ample opportunity to place blooms that tend to droop their heads. The steps are kind of sunk into a valley so the ground rises on the other side of them too. This is where I intend to plant many hellebores, for just that reason.

21. wherefivevalleysmeet February 15, 2017 at 7:51 pm - Reply

What a lovely display Jessica – I have been very remiss and neglected to photograph the garden so far this winter – due to so much grey and rain I think I am suffering from cabin fever.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:51 pm - Reply

I’ve been working outside today for only the second time this year. It’s hard to motivate yourself when it is so grey and gloomy. Perhaps a few warm days will make all the difference. When the sun comes out now there is enough strength in it to feel really spring like.

22. Kris Peterson February 15, 2017 at 8:05 pm - Reply

You’re having a bulb-fest it seems! I can imagine your frustration with the mice but your display of snowdrops looks splendid to me. Few of your bulbs will grow here but the photos of your hellebores sent me on a quick errand to check mine – only one has a bud but that’s better than none I guess. The Erica is very impressive – I need to look into whether there are Ericas that would enjoy our relatively warm winters.

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:55 pm - Reply

Yes, plenty of snowdrops. The mice tend to leave them alone, or at least they do the common ones. The bulbs are poisonous apparently. Unfortunately that didn’t stop them (or something) nibbling the tops off the expensive ones. Isn’t it always the way.

23. Linda February 15, 2017 at 9:21 pm - Reply

Absolutely stunning…as always!
    Enjoy!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 9:57 pm - Reply

Thanks Linda! Hope you’re having a fabulous time. Warmer than here….

24. indygardener February 15, 2017 at 11:27 pm - Reply

Love the blooms. Makes my pittance of snowdrops look rather pathetic compared to your drifts. Thanks for sharing them, and all your flowers with us for bloom day!

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 10:29 pm - Reply

I could say exactly the same for your crocuses! Thanks Carol.

25. Jenni February 15, 2017 at 11:32 pm - Reply

Your first pic of the sweeping drift of snowdrops is magazine worthy! A beautiful sight. Your clumps of hellebore’s gives me hope that mine too will clump one day. I look forward to having blooms in abundance, likes yours.

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 10:32 pm - Reply

I’ve found, here at least, that hellebores take a while to settle in. The sleep, creep, leap thing really applies to them. Thanks Jenni.

26. Sue Garrett February 15, 2017 at 11:42 pm - Reply

We have just one small clump of double anowdrops that flowered first beforw the singles. With your display you don’t need to be on the lookout for snowdrop gardens do you?

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 10:35 pm - Reply

I’m awhile away from whole hillsides covered in snowdrops. They are spreading, but not as fast as I’d like. Thinking I should divide the clumps and help them along a bit.

27. bittster February 16, 2017 at 12:37 am - Reply

I absolutely love the photo of the snowdrops at the base of your mossy tree trunks, and the rest of your macros as well! It really does look as if you may be shaking the grip of winter, and from the looks of it you’re doing it in style!
    You might be safer from addiction than I thought, it should help that you already have sheets of snowdrops to enjoy, but I’m worried that you are considering more. Be strong!
    …or not. There are much worse addictions 🙂

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 10:39 pm - Reply

You’re right Frank, there are much worse addictions. And more expensive ones come to that. I am trying to restrict myself to one new special a year which is hardly excessive. Trouble is, I’m running out of cheap ones!

28. Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening February 16, 2017 at 1:08 am - Reply

Your photography is absolutely amazing! The captures of snowdrops and hellebores up close are breathtaking and my favorite capture is of the forest floor with the moss and blooms. We just got over our last snowfall here on Long Island, but there are subtle hints of spring. I have hellebores blooming for February. Happy Bloom Day!

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 10:43 pm - Reply

Thank you Lee! I’m glad Spring is returning for you as well. The hellebores make me think of Spring like nothing else. And they seem to take any amount of weather. Just love them.

29. Leslie February 16, 2017 at 2:33 am - Reply

So many lovely blooms! Happy Garden Blogger Bloom Day!

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 11:06 pm - Reply

Thanks Leslie and welcome! Glad to see your garden is benefitting from all the Californian rain.

30. hb February 16, 2017 at 4:50 am - Reply

Magical. The snowdrops are exquisite and your photos are perfect.

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 11:07 pm - Reply

Thanks Hoov. It’s a brilliant time of year. Spring is just around the corner.

31. sofievandersmissen February 16, 2017 at 7:16 am - Reply

Wow you have a lot of beautiful blooms in your garden at this time of year!

Greetings, Sofie #26

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 11:14 pm - Reply

Hi Sofie and welcome! We’ve had a week of unusually mild temperatures, even some sun (!) and that has brought with it quite a few blooms. I’m holding my breath though. As quickly as it turned mild it could also go cold again..

32. annamadeit February 16, 2017 at 7:31 am - Reply

Fabulous photos and lovely, lovely blooms! We are all starved for that kind of bounty, over here in PNW. But, they say, patience is a virtue. Supposedly spring IS coming…

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 11:19 pm - Reply

I’ve been working outside (without a coat) for the last two days running. I can’t remember the last time that happened in February. It’s unusually mild and the garden is perking up. I do hope it isn’t all going to end in tears.

33. Suzanne February 16, 2017 at 1:14 pm - Reply

I look forward to your February posts. To see a woodland spring when here it’s still under several inches of snow and ice. Enjoyed your holiday pictures too. It must have taken a bit to get used to home again. A few more weeks and your efforts in the slopes will be obvious as well. Can’t wait to see.

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 11:30 pm - Reply

Hi Suzanne! I hope all is well with you, other than the snow! It has indeed taken a while to get back to normal but now that green shoots are starting to appear I’m looking forward to working out in the garden again.
      I’ve been getting strange posts (about the weather) from your blog and hope they are not concealing real posts that I’m missing?

34. Peter Herpst February 16, 2017 at 3:20 pm - Reply

Oh my, looking up the kilt of a Scotsman? Such a bold gardener you are but it sounds like he didn’t mind in the least. Your drifts of snowdrops are glorious! It’s such a delight to see the garden reawakening for another season.

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 11:35 pm - Reply

Isn’t it just. Every morning I go outside now there is something new to see. Almost want to slow things down already, Spring has to be the fastest season of all.

35. Rosie February 16, 2017 at 4:23 pm - Reply

Such beautiful blooms for February, I love the flowers of early Spring:)

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 11:38 pm - Reply

Thanks Rosie. It’s a lovely time of year isn’t it. Just so long as we don’t get too much of the cold weather back!

36. frayedattheedge February 16, 2017 at 6:27 pm - Reply

Thank you for the feast of snowdrops – they refused to grow in our last garden, so I am hoping they will grow in the next one!

• Jessica February 16, 2017 at 11:40 pm - Reply

I’m rather looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new garden.. great time to be moving into it.

37. CherryPie February 17, 2017 at 1:13 am - Reply

your snowdrops look delightful. Our seem to have met their demise during last year’s garden project. I miss them…

• Jessica February 18, 2017 at 8:17 pm - Reply

Now’s the time to plant more, ‘in the green’. They are such a cheerful thing to have aren’t they. Especially in the more usual February chill.

38. emilymbrown13 February 17, 2017 at 10:25 am - Reply

Wow, I love your snowdrops. I have planted so many over the years and now have what I like to refer to as 3 clumps. They totalled 7 blooms this year! I was quite impressed with myself but having seen yours I have a LONG way to go! Well done.

• Jessica February 18, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I shudder to think how long these have been here, slowly building up year on year. Quite a legacy some kind person left for us. And something of a responsibility for me.

39. Jo February 17, 2017 at 12:41 pm - Reply

What a wonderful snowdrop display, they look to be doing really well for you. I’ve lost every one of my irises, they don’t seem to last long before they give up and I’ve got to buy more so perhaps yours are just a no show too rather than the critters having got to them. I must admit though that I find Katharine Hodgkin quite wishy washy and washed out, I’ve grown Gordon and George in the past which have a much stronger colour to them.

• Jessica February 18, 2017 at 8:28 pm - Reply

I was very tempted at Rosemoor today, they had a good range of colours. But at £7 for a small pot it seemed a bit extravagant given how they tend to go. I’m thinking it would be better to buy them as bulbs and try to raise them in a small container. Much better value that way (and apparently they return more reliably too). Now all I have to do is remember to buy some in summer!

40. CT February 17, 2017 at 4:45 pm - Reply

Glorious. No snowdrops here. I plant, they don’t come up. ? I see your primroses have not been nibbled by voles, unlike mine.

• Jessica February 18, 2017 at 8:32 pm - Reply

I think maybe I chose an angle for the primroses where the nibbled bits were round the back.. Have you tried planting snowdrops now, ‘in the green’? Some say they establish much better that way.

41. willisjw February 18, 2017 at 6:14 pm - Reply

Oh, so many snowdrops. What a problem to have! Did you plant those snowdrops or were they there before you? I do have that Helleborus ‘Lost Label’, only mine is a different color :).

• Jessica February 18, 2017 at 8:40 pm - Reply

The snowdrops have been here for years, well before us. There must be thousands around the woodland as a whole.
      Labels are such a problem 🙂 I’ve given up leaving them in the garden because they disappear. Last autumn I planted a number of new acquisitions in a nursery bed and every single label has now been unearthed. Mice? Squirrels? I bet the wretched things have been swapping them around as well, just for fun.

42. Cathy February 19, 2017 at 7:57 am - Reply

Really enjoyed reading about what’s happening in your garden and seeing your gorgeous photos of course. I was going to ask about the snowdrops – how lovely that they are naturalised, although of course that doesn’t mean that someone didn’t plant them at some stage. I like to think my native ones do look as if they have always been there and they are of course good at spreading themselves about even if I do help them out by splitting the clumps… Such a shame that other bulbs are at risk from those pesky mice…?

• Jessica February 21, 2017 at 2:51 pm - Reply

I should be giving them a helping hand more than I do I think. There are a number of isolated clumps that have sprung up naturally but they’d look much better consolidated en masse somewhere. A job for this year.

43. Julie February 19, 2017 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Hi Jessica, you have such a beautiful display of naturalised snowdrops, I love to see them en masse like this, who needs to visit other gardens when you have your own beautiful display. That must be very rewarding to see that every day.

• Jessica February 21, 2017 at 2:53 pm - Reply

It is lovely to see, particularly in the evening in the half light. The snowdrops almost glow on the woodland floor.

44. Island Threads February 19, 2017 at 9:40 pm - Reply

you are so lucky Jessica to have so many plants inherent in your garden, snowdrops, daffodiles, bluebells, ferns, pulmonaria, ………. the mice clearly don’t troulbe them much or they would not have built up like they have, Frances

• Jessica February 21, 2017 at 2:56 pm - Reply

They’ve been established such a long time the earth around them has consolidated and I think that makes a difference to the mice. They do seem to go for newly planted bulbs in recently cultivated ground. Little blighters!

45. restlessjo February 21, 2017 at 9:59 pm - Reply

Magnificent! That green twirl around the snowdrops is so attractive 🙂 You’re right, Jess- so uplifting, your collection of Springtime!

• Jessica February 22, 2017 at 7:22 pm - Reply

It really did seem like Spring last week, I was out in the garden every day. Bit different now. I suspect you will feel more of Storm Doris than we will. Keep safe.

46. Josephine February 21, 2017 at 11:59 pm - Reply

Simply gorgeous displays, I love seeing the snowdrops return.
    I wonder if deer like them, I may be interested in planting some ?
    Your cottage and grounds are amazing.
    Hugs
    Jo

• Jessica February 22, 2017 at 7:41 pm - Reply

Well the deer are definitely still around. I saw a young male in the garden only today. And as far as I know the snowdrops are still there too. (I am touching wood madly here..) Thanks Jo.

47. ginaferrari February 23, 2017 at 7:29 pm - Reply

Every year I think I must plant snowdrops, they are so pretty. At least I have Hellebores

• Jessica February 24, 2017 at 11:33 am - Reply

Hellebores are really coming on here now too. They are the ultimate spring time plants for me.

48. Lady Eve February 25, 2017 at 12:29 pm - Reply

I bought three Sam Arnott a few years ago. Shortly afterwards they fell prey to the excavations of a passing mole. I thought that I had lost them all, but this year one has come up, although he is still remaining resolutely tight-budded in our present cold wind. Is there any chance he might multiply, I wonder …

Your garden does seem to have a warmer micro-climate. I think it might be because of the sheltered position in your valley? (Or did you bring some Australian warmth back in your suitcases?) We have snowdrops, some crocus and primroses, and bergenia blooming (the wild butter burr, which looks very similar, is also in flower) but our lungwort is nowhere near, yet.

x

• Jessica February 26, 2017 at 6:12 pm - Reply

The valley is definitely sheltered, it is usually noticeably warmer down here than at the top of the hill. If the wind is in the right direction, as with Storm Doris the other day, it just whistles over the top of us. The downside is that the valley creates a frost pocket so I need to watch what I plant at the lower levels. I wish I had brought back some Australian warmth!

49. offtheedgegardening February 26, 2017 at 1:40 pm - Reply

Wow, that Harvington Rebekah is a beauty! One definitely to look out for. Has that Torrington Tina been leading you astray? Mind you I doubt you need much encouragement. 😉

• Jessica February 26, 2017 at 8:34 pm - Reply

I need no encouragement but TT was definitely not leading me astray. We both agreed that for the price of the one snowdrop bulb I could get two hellebores and that was much better value. As it happens I only bought one hellebore, so saved money?

50. jolanda February 26, 2017 at 6:31 pm - Reply

What treasures and such great images. I have tried for years to get a good photo of my abundance of snowdrops and have not yet succeeded.
    And those Hellebores – and of course star of the show: that blue sky 🙂

• Jessica February 26, 2017 at 8:47 pm - Reply

Hello Jolanda, thanks and welcome!
      An abundance of snowdrops is a wonderful thing to have. A lovely way to welcome in Spring.

51. pollymacleod March 3, 2017 at 9:58 am - Reply

Your photos lift my spirits Jessica, the true beauty of nature and the changing seasons, Spring in particular as it heralds new beginnings. ‘Sam Arnott’ is a beauty and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind you looking up his skirt to truly appreciate the whole bloom 🙂

• Jessica March 3, 2017 at 9:17 pm - Reply

And what a bloom! I saw drifts of them at Rosemoor recently and they are pretty impressive. He’s better multiply quickly!