[layerslider id="5"]

Previously, on rusty duck..

In a couple of the comments on the last post I was asked how the bedroom is coming on. Well, it’s not quite finished but sufficiently advanced to justify an update methinks.

Before we went away I was working flat out to get it finished.

As I’d done in the study, I wanted to tone down some of the orange in the pine floorboards and achieved it using liming wax. Liming is not really recommended for floors as it doesn’t take the wear and tear. But, it’s a bedroom after all. Bare feet. Socked feet. Soft soled shoes. And in the study it’s still holding up remarkably well. The addition of a protective coat of floor wax has done no harm.

Over 25 sqm it’s still a gruelling job. Not good for ageing knees. We’re now a couple of months further down the line and time has dulled the memory of the pain so it was worth it I think. The colour is now an almost exact match for the lime mortar in the fireplace. (The swatches in the background were for the furniture paint finish, of which more anon.)

Job done

Remember how it used to look?

Through December and January the furniture was being made.

The installation started the week we got home. Even before the jet lag had passed.

End of Day 1. Can we safely say this was the low point?

But. Finally. We have moved back in..

Along with another small friend from a recent trip to the coast.

It was touch and go. Getting the furniture out of the bedroom seven months ago had necessitated help. Three of us (OK, two of them) manhandled the bed, chests of drawers and wardrobes down the stairs to the temporary sleeping arrangement in the dining room. On the reverse trip only the bed needed to go back up. The evening the furniture maker left, in a moment possibly fuelled by wine, we decided that the next day we’d have a go at it ourselves. Now in most houses this may not be so hard. But cottage staircases were not built for beds. They are narrow and have low ceilings. And ours describes a full, and tight, 180 degree arc.

Getting the bed to the bottom of the stairs was the easy bit. It’s only a standard double divan but it isn’t a lightweight. Mike went first. He pulled. I pushed. And rapidly discovered that it is the person at the lower end who bears all the weight. I managed to wedge it against one wall. We may have lost some wallpaper. Only a little bit. And didn’t I want to get rid of it afterall?

Halfway. Committed now. It wasn’t that the bed was stuck exactly, it was just that we were having a break, right? I could pass food and drink up to him if it came to it. There’s a loo on both floors. Sleeping would be the hardest bit. Well not for me. I had the sofas on the ground floor.

A final monumental pull/push and we made it. The bed popped out of the stairwell onto the first floor. The mattress to follow it was almost a doddle.

The overall look we were aiming to achieve was minimal and contemporary, with the furniture faced in reclaimed wood.

Towards the end of last year we’d spent many a day trawling the salvage yards looking for old floorboards or something similar. The story was always the same. “They’re very popular you know. We had some beauties in last week and they went out again the very same day.” And then, at the eleventh hour, a consignment arrived at one of our previous suppliers in Dorset. The surface was the perfect colour and beautifully aged but there was a problem. They weren’t the straight edged planks we’d used so many times before but tongue and groove. How would this work for the leading edges of doors and drawers?

Well wait a minute. Why not slice off the tongues from one side of the board and insert them, reverse way up, into the opposing groove?

It’s a detail that finishes off the edge rather well.

Getting there

Lighting to be sorted out (the bedside lamps are temporary), blinds, a comfortable chair, pictures, a rug.

Crikey, it might even be time for those cushions now..

pin it?

2017-02-06T19:30:02+00:00 February 6th, 2017|Tags: |

1. annincumbria February 6, 2017 at 12:26 pm - Reply

Loveing it well done

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 8:32 pm - Reply

Thanks Ann. I think I am relieved as much as anything!

2. Jenny February 6, 2017 at 12:48 pm - Reply

Beautifully done. I love the look you’re going for with you cottage, traditional features with simple modern touches, really nice πŸ™‚

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 8:35 pm - Reply

I wanted the original features to speak for themselves and have the furniture as minimal as we could get it. Bit difficult in a bedroom as so much storage is needed.

3. Julieanne February 6, 2017 at 1:10 pm - Reply

looks really good. Nicely done.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 8:37 pm - Reply

Thanks Julieanne. Getting there in the end.

4. derrickjknight February 6, 2017 at 1:22 pm - Reply

Marvellous. I do remember what it has looked like at various stages. Very well done.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 8:39 pm - Reply

It’s been a horror story at times. I hope no other room will be this hard. Thanks Derrick.

5. Lady Eve February 6, 2017 at 1:27 pm - Reply

The floor looks fantastic – definitely worth all the hard work. I love the ‘decoy’ bird (I have one I bought on the Norfolk coast, and I honestly think it’s one of my very favourite possessions).

Will you be taking B&B bookings, now? (You could, you really could … except for the garden steps!)

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 8:43 pm - Reply

I seem to be building quite a collection of those birds. Keep seeing them in the windows of those coastal gift shops and can’t bring myself to leave them behind. This one was only a few quid yet it’s perfect for that room, really adds character.

6. Backlane Notebook February 6, 2017 at 1:29 pm - Reply

I love the cool bedside drawers but love even more the blanket box at the end of the bed. I had a similar one but it got serious woodworm so had to go.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 8:56 pm - Reply

It holds my fabric stash. The contents are under threat though because storage is at a premium and their value has been questioned. It’s a difficult one. I just know if I throw something away I’ll have a use for it the very next week.

7. Anne Wheaton February 6, 2017 at 1:40 pm - Reply

Looks fab. Worth the effort of getting the bed up the stairs.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 8:59 pm - Reply

My arm muscles were complaining the next day. But what’s a girl to do? You can’t leave a bed wedged in the stairwell indefinitely.

8. wherefivevalleysmeet February 6, 2017 at 1:47 pm - Reply

It looks lovely Jessica – you both must be delighted

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:00 pm - Reply

Thanks Rosemary. We are. It’s been a long haul.

9. Sam February 6, 2017 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Wow, your room looks lovely, Jessica – well worth all the upheaval and mess. I really like the wooden bird.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:03 pm - Reply

Thanks Sam. Only trouble is I haven’t had a decent night’s sleep since we moved back. Hope I haven’t messed the feng shui or something. The bed’s at right angles to where it used to be.

10. Christina February 6, 2017 at 2:55 pm - Reply

Looks wonderful, well I wouldn’t have expected any less.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:04 pm - Reply

You’re too kind Christina.

11. Peter Herpst February 6, 2017 at 3:53 pm - Reply

I’m so glad for you that the bed finally became unstuck. Upstairs/downstairs relationships are difficult. Your hard work has yielded stunning results. Beautifully done!

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:11 pm - Reply

Lol. Relationships when moving a heavy object up a staircase can be difficult to manage too. I wouldn’t recommend it. Thanks Peter.

12. Erin @ The Impatient Gardener February 6, 2017 at 4:25 pm - Reply

Oh I love it! Absolutely love the rustic + modern thing you have going on there. Well worth all the hard work!

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:13 pm - Reply

Thanks Erin. This was the project I was about to start when you did your bathroom. And I thought six weeks would do it… Ha!

13. Freda February 6, 2017 at 4:31 pm - Reply

I am full of admiration! Well done and sleep well.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:20 pm - Reply

Thanks Freda. It’s a bit like getting used to a hotel room, all very strange and new. Sleeping well will return I’m sure.

14. Em Parkinson February 6, 2017 at 4:37 pm - Reply

It looks spectacular! X

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:22 pm - Reply

Thanks Em. Will email you. We should meet up!

15. Cathy February 6, 2017 at 5:07 pm - Reply

As always I have enjoyed reading about your latest project – you must be thrilled to have some semblance of order in there once again. Not to mention not having to sleep in the dining room any more! And here’s me, with no intention of moving furniture out of our bedroom, stripping paper from walls and ceiling around everything πŸ˜‰

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:24 pm - Reply

That’s the way I’d have liked to have done it. But when chunks of plaster start to fall off the walls it gets a bit challenging!

16. Marian St.Clair February 6, 2017 at 5:15 pm - Reply

Hooray! It’s amazing. What a happy day this must be:^) Good trick with the tongue and groove.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:26 pm - Reply

Thanks Marian. We got there in the end. Remember when we started? Just after Cothay Manor.

17. Brian Skeys February 6, 2017 at 5:16 pm - Reply

A lovely solution to the tongue and groove problem, it looks as if it was planned.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:29 pm - Reply

Thanks Brian. It’s worked really well, the tongue coming from the same plank of wood means the surface colour and texture is identical.

18. kate@barnhouse February 6, 2017 at 5:17 pm - Reply

What a beautiful room you have created, I love the muted modern scheme and the clever use of recycled boards for bedside furniture.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm - Reply

It needs a pop of colour somewhere, probably from the chair and matching cushions on the bed. A zingy yellow maybe!

19. Caro February 6, 2017 at 5:36 pm - Reply

Mmmm, lovely. So calm and peaceful, despite the all the shenanigans. Will you have a similar curtain problem to the study? And, can I just say, I love that your teddy was an important first addition to the room. Quite right too.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:39 pm - Reply

There are actually two bears but I’m told they constitute “a crowd” so I took one away for photographic purposes. πŸ˜‰
      Yes, exactly the same curtain problem. This window tips inwards too. But with the mornings getting ever lighter (yippee!!) and us now sleeping directly underneath we do need a blind. It also needs to be easy to manage because the window is hard to reach. I’m going to run one up as it’s a relatively small job and see how practical/impractical it turns out to be.

20. Vera February 6, 2017 at 6:23 pm - Reply

Beautiful….and so in keeping with the cottage.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:49 pm - Reply

Thanks. That’s exactly what I’ve been trying to achieve.

21. Amy at love made my home February 6, 2017 at 6:45 pm - Reply

Wow, it looks incredible!!! You have done and achieved so much, taking out the cupboard and changing the colour of the beams back to wood and exposing more of them has added beautifully to the room, as of course has the fireplace. Hope that you soon get the last things done and you can lay back and just enjoy looking around at your hard work!

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:51 pm - Reply

It’s the fun things from now on but I don’t want to rush it. It needs a bit of time spending in the room and thinking about what needs to go in next. Thanks Amy!

22. Kris Peterson February 6, 2017 at 6:53 pm - Reply

I cringe a little inside whenever my husband comes to me and says “I need a little help with (X).” I can fully appreciate the difficulty of walking a bed frame up stairs and thank the heavens that our current house is all one level. I’m mightily impressed with your work on the floor – how many pairs of knee pads did you go through?

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:53 pm - Reply

I used my foam kneeling mat from the garden. Scrubbed it first… πŸ™‚

23. ontheedgegardening February 6, 2017 at 7:25 pm - Reply

It looks amazing, well done to you both!

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:54 pm - Reply

Thanks Gill. So glad it’s finally done!

24. jannaschreier February 6, 2017 at 7:37 pm - Reply

The tongue-groove-tongue edge is genius! I love it. You’ve done so well with this room; you must be thrilled.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:56 pm - Reply

It’s come on a long way since July hasn’t it? Yes, we’re delighted with the way it’s turned out. Thanks Janna.

25. Denise February 6, 2017 at 7:42 pm - Reply

Shaking my pompoms! Marvellous!!

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:57 pm - Reply

That sounds like brilliant exercise.. carry on!

26. ourfrenchoasis February 6, 2017 at 8:23 pm - Reply

Love it, it is looking so fabulous.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 9:58 pm - Reply

Thank you. Only another six rooms to go! πŸ™

27. Jill Chandler February 6, 2017 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Talk about inspiring. You take the biscuit. I am looking round now and planning.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 10:06 pm - Reply

Planning is the fun bit. Finishing is better still. It’s the bit in the middle that is awful. Thanks Jill.

28. ginaferrari February 6, 2017 at 9:43 pm - Reply

It looks fabulous… very serene!

• Jessica February 6, 2017 at 10:08 pm - Reply

Thanks Gina. A pop of colour is needed though maybe? Without going over the top and losing the calmness. Shall have to think about it a bit more.

29. Dorothy Borders February 7, 2017 at 4:09 am - Reply

It’s looking quite wonderful. Congratulations on the progress.

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 8:49 pm - Reply

Thanks. Taken a while but we got there in the end.

30. willow February 7, 2017 at 7:33 am - Reply

Seven months is a long time but the result is so worth it. Love the patch of sunlight on the floor in one of the pictures but agree blinds are needed at night.
    Well done to both of you.

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 8:50 pm - Reply

Yes, I’m waking up earlier every morning. Fine at the moment, but when it gets to 4.30?

31. Sue Garrett February 7, 2017 at 9:34 am - Reply

Worth the effort! That is certainly an impressive array of tools.

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 8:51 pm - Reply

They came prepared!

32. Tahoe girl February 7, 2017 at 3:31 pm - Reply

OH my, it is so beautiful. I love the wood and the light. It works incredibly well. I’m sure you are loving it.

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 8:52 pm - Reply

It’s taking a bit of getting used to but, yes, really loving it. Thanks!

33. frayedattheedge February 7, 2017 at 6:24 pm - Reply

It looks fabulous …….. and of course what you need now is a lovely patchwork quilt (and lots of cushions!)

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 8:54 pm - Reply

I was going to make a quilt, and still will in the future, but time got the better of me in the end.

34. Sarah February 7, 2017 at 8:23 pm - Reply

Congratulations in moving back in, thank goodness you managed to get the bed back up the stairs! It looks wonderful and the wooden floor boars are fantastic! All the hard work and attention to detail were worth it. Sarah x

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 8:59 pm - Reply

Thanks Sarah. The trouble with all of these projects being so big is that you tend to lose the plot somewhere in the middle. Now that it’s finally coming together I’m starting to believe it was worth it.

35. CherryPie February 7, 2017 at 10:47 pm - Reply

It looks fabulous, so light and airy πŸ™‚

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 9:04 pm - Reply

Thanks Cherie. It’s a world away from how it used to be.

36. Sue C. February 7, 2017 at 11:06 pm - Reply

That is just lovely. Such hard work but well worth it. You must have found a very clever furniture maker and it looks so right in the room.

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 9:06 pm - Reply

Yes, he is very clever. He understood what I was trying to achieve and interpreted it perfectly. Thanks Sue.

37. germac4 February 8, 2017 at 4:29 am - Reply

The bedroom looks lovely, you should pin up the ”before photos” to remind yourself of the journey!! We always suffer dreadful jet-lag coming home from the Northern Hemisphere, so you might be the same and need that lovely bed more than ever!

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 9:12 pm - Reply

Coming home was worse for me too, even though it was in the opposite direction. There must be something in that, end of the holiday, coming back to winter, or whatever. I’ve been out in the garden today though. All the spring bulbs are coming up and the sun was shining. It gladdens the heart.

38. Virginia February 8, 2017 at 4:55 am - Reply

Oh My! The finished floor is worth every aching joint! And, you’re right, bedrooms don’t get heavy wear so the surface will last just fine. My heart sank at the beginning of the bed moving saga – own to past experiences (plural) there is rule in this house now – Employ a ‘beautiful young man from Student Job Search’ … for the outlay of a very few dollars, these strapping young lads are keen to prove how strong they are, and they can save a marriage! I promise! However, I do acknowledge that we are only a 5 miles from the university campus – rather more convenient for us than for you!!

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 9:14 pm - Reply

Strapping/beautiful young man.. I am taking notes. Thank you Virginia πŸ™‚

39. thredspider February 8, 2017 at 7:22 am - Reply

Very, very stylish. It was worth all your hard work. I try to keep things simple and tidy …. but……we have clutter and he does hoarding!

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 9:19 pm - Reply

Oh golly, I have exactly the same issue re he who does hoarding. But he also likes things to be tidy and realises that the two conflict. There has been some serious clearing out to fit everything into the new bedroom and we are much better for it.

40. Rosie February 8, 2017 at 10:01 am - Reply

Such a lot of hard work but well worth it as you room looks wonderful, light and a great place to relax:)

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 9:24 pm - Reply

Thanks Rosie. It’s caused a lot of grief this room, but it has been worth it.

41. annie_h February 8, 2017 at 12:04 pm - Reply

Looking really good, worth all the hard work

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Thanks Annie. πŸ™‚

42. Linda B. February 8, 2017 at 1:27 pm - Reply

Looking really beautiful. Thanks for putting in the early picture. One quickly forgets the before when looking at the after! I’d like new carpet in our guest room/computer room but it means moving a bed, dresser, armoire, bookcases and file cabinets around a corner and through a tiny, tight hallway. Don’t know how we got all the stuff in there over the years.

• Jessica February 8, 2017 at 9:31 pm - Reply

The disruptive element is the worst part of home improvement. The bedroom renovation impacted virtually every other room in the house one way or another. We have a few short weeks of relative normality. And then we start all over again..

43. Jennifer February 9, 2017 at 12:00 am - Reply

What a beautiful room! You’ve been working really hard. It sounds like all the labor and disruption have been worth it, but I know how hard it can be when you’re trying to live amid the construction. Your floor came out so beautiful, I’m really blown away by how good that looks.

• Jessica February 9, 2017 at 10:34 pm - Reply

I’m pleased with the floor. I just hope it lasts. It’s possible to strip it down and re-lime it, but with the furniture now in it would be a horrible job!

44. smallsunnygarden February 9, 2017 at 2:41 am - Reply

It looks so fantastic, Jessica! At least the results should last much longer than the labour! BTW, I just went over to your About page (in search of a full shot of the cottage to show my mum, who likes to hear about it!) and noticed the Golden Trowel award and the Glorious Garden Blog listing: well deserved! Should also be one for Most Spectacular Cautionary Tales of Cottage Renovation… πŸ˜‰

45. karen February 9, 2017 at 11:37 am - Reply

I could really move in there. It’s such a beautiful, peaceful room. I love the limed floor. I can see how much work that was- but so worth it. Such a genius idea with the floor boards. Thanks for sharing. I’m scribbling down notes all the time πŸ™‚ looking forward to the the next instalment. All the best – Karen x

• Jessica February 9, 2017 at 10:57 pm - Reply

The lime does make the room feel a lot lighter, every bit helps in a cottage! Thanks Karen.

46. Indie February 9, 2017 at 2:28 pm - Reply

It looks so great! Great job on the floors! I enjoyed your tale of moving furniture, though I’m sure it was quite the feat at the time. Love the wooden bird!

• Jessica February 9, 2017 at 11:00 pm - Reply

Hi Indie! Thanks. I’m not so sure I’ve fully recovered yet. Maybe getting too old for this sort of thing..

47. Caroline February 9, 2017 at 2:32 pm - Reply

The furniture is beautiful and very clever using floor boards. The floor has turned out a good colour too. Can’t wait to see the finishing touches, it really does look great.

• Jessica February 9, 2017 at 11:02 pm - Reply

The finishing touches are the fun bit aren’t they. Hope to get most of it done before the weather improves and I get distracted by the garden!

48. Beth @ PlantPostings February 9, 2017 at 7:51 pm - Reply

You are creative and industrious (and apparently quite strong!). The room has a very warm, comfy, and approachable ambiance. The furniture, the bed, the fireplace — everything works well together. And, wow, the floor … what an improvement!

• Jessica February 9, 2017 at 11:05 pm - Reply

The fireplace was the starting point for the colour scheme, the wood beam for the furniture and the grey tones for the soft furnishings. I hope it’s worked! Thanks Beth.

49. bittster February 10, 2017 at 2:41 am - Reply

It’s beautiful, you’ve really done the room justice and I love how it’s retained that light and airy feel (minus the sense of old and tired) πŸ™‚

• Jessica February 10, 2017 at 12:11 pm - Reply

The light and airy feel was so important. Cottages with small windows can be dark, even though this window faces south. Thanks Frank.

50. Jacqueline February 10, 2017 at 10:56 am - Reply

Beautiful Jessica …. the furniture is wonderful… so beautifully made and the floor is to die for ….. I just love that lime finish. Great job. XXXX

• Jessica February 10, 2017 at 12:13 pm - Reply

It’s always a worry building furniture from scratch. No brochure to fall back on! But it’s turned out almost exactly as I’d envisaged. Phew!

51. Sol February 11, 2017 at 2:23 pm - Reply

Love it! I am inspired! Well done!, so much hard work and it looks stunning

• Jessica February 12, 2017 at 6:39 pm - Reply

Thanks Sol. I’m just relieved it’s (almost!) done. Now we’re having to shoehorn all our stuff back into it without destroying the minimal look.

52. Chloris February 12, 2017 at 9:42 am - Reply

Beautiful! You are perfectionists, I am amazed at the lengths you go to to get it just right. But all that work must be worth it to have such a beautiful room.

• Jessica February 12, 2017 at 6:51 pm - Reply

I do enjoy hunting out the right bits and pieces. At least, I enjoy it after the event. It’s very stressful at the time and we haven’t finished yet. Finding the right lights is proving a challenge. I’m hoping I’ve got a trick up my sleeve but we shall see. Thanks Chloris.

53. Island Threads February 14, 2017 at 10:05 am - Reply

it looks wonderful Jessica,

I read you EoMV post too and you are getting along well with the bank at the back of your house, from the map it looks as if more of your garden is at the back of your house than in front, Frances

• Jessica February 14, 2017 at 6:42 pm - Reply

There isn’t really a back and a front as such, the garden surrounds the house on all sides. It makes the design and the maintenance even harder as so much of it is on show at one time.

• Island Threads February 14, 2017 at 10:33 pm - Reply

that is like my garden Jessica, it’s like the house is in the middle of a small field, most houses here are like that in the rural areas, Stornoway is lines of houses along the roads with the front garden,

I thought I’d reply to your last comment on my blog, here on yours, yes it has loaded quicker, thanks, but don’t worry for me, I was not complaining but explaining, I sometimes think people may think I am not reading their blog because I don’t want to, when it is the very slow internet connection here that frustrates and stops me, early morning is better but I don’t always want to spend time on the internet then,

sorry your cleared areas are not staying cleared, grass is horrid imo, I feel the professionals who claim you can easily clear grass must have a very different grass to ours, and I have no experience of bramble but have heard how difficult it is to cope with, I also think on uncultivated land like ours there is a seed bed from all the years it has been unworked, take care working on your hill, Frances

• Jessica February 15, 2017 at 8:16 pm - Reply

Very true about the seed bed. Disturbing the soil also makes it worse because more seeds then rise to the top layers where they can germinate. I’ve been out working on the new bit of slope today and quickly discovered it will be impossible to dig the brambles out because doing so brings half the bank down. The soil is just so loose. I have resorted to just cutting them back. Hopefully, if I keep doing it, eventually they will have to give up.

54. woolythymes February 22, 2017 at 1:19 pm - Reply

i do hope you are saying……this was all very very worth the time, effort, inconvenience….because IT’s GORGEOUS!!!!!

• Jessica February 22, 2017 at 9:09 pm - Reply

Thanks Steph. Yes, it is. It doesn’t have all the storage space we had before but hey, a good clear out is good for the soul.

55. pollymacleod February 24, 2017 at 4:28 pm - Reply

oh WOW, it is beautiful Jessica, definitely worth all the time and effort, it’s beautifully serene. But where is your small friend from a recent trip?

• Jessica February 26, 2017 at 4:58 pm - Reply

Thanks Polly. The goose? He’s there but on top of a chest of drawers that isn’t quite finished yet. He’s sure to feature in a future post.