Blown Away At Boscastle

boscastle-002-wm

Boscastle, North Cornwall

Last weekend, a painting crisis.

We’d thought it such a good idea to paint the match pots (paint samples) onto a spare bit of board. What better way to move the colours around the room and assess them in different lights? The board even got held up against the ceiling to look at there. The thing that makes the bedroom feel so spacious at the moment is the continuity of colour, over both ceiling and the walls, creating almost an infinity effect in the vaulted room. This I am keen to maintain.

After all of the faffing about with match pots we’d plumped for a nice soft grey. Light and super reflective. Perfect. So how is it then that a colour can change so dramatically once 20 litres of the wretched stuff have been purchased and it is offered up to the walls? How does it metamorphose from being barely discernible from white on the sample board to a dark grey bordering on blue? The job screeches to a halt before it’s barely begun.

boscastle-001-wm

If not painting then, what’s a weekend for?

When I first woke on Sunday the weather forecast was looking good. Full sun all morning, sunny spells in the afternoon. After much debate we decided to go to Boscastle on the North Cornwall coast. It’s a part of the world we’ve visited before, close by atmospheric Tintagel Castle and the idyllic village of Port Isaac.

We’d find lunch on the way. Maybe try somewhere new? As it turned out, not one of my better choices. And to cap it all off the moment we left the restaurant the rain came hammering down. Not a passing shower either. A storm cloud of a proportion surely no weatherman worth his salt was ever going to miss. A retreat homewards and a book by the fire too tempting by far. But no, we’d driven all the way up here now, Boscastle it would be.

boscastle-017-wm

It’s another pretty village, quaint cottages with immaculate gardens ranged along the banks of a tidal river. Golf umbrella at the ready we set off towards the harbour at the far end. Only one unscheduled stop at the National Trust gift shop as the rain returned with a vengeance, hurling itself at us from all sides. Mike succumbed to an ice cream. Lunch was still laying heavily on me.

boscastle-003-wm

Spectacular autumn colour on the hillside.

The row of cottages above enjoys views along the river..

boscastle-012-wm

.. each with its own small garden on the edge of the slope

boscastle-011-wm

Approaching the harbour the sound of waves crashing against the rocks became ever louder. Punctuated by a strange dull thud.

boscastle-004-wm

Underneath this headland, Penally Point, there’s a passage through the rocks, straight through to the sea on the other side.

Apparently timing has to be just right. Rough sea outside the harbour. An hour or so either side of low tide. By sheer luck and good fortune, exactly these conditions prevailed as we clambered over rain drenched rocks alongside the harbour wall to reach the seaward side..

boscastle-006a-wm

With each new wave sea water flows into a cavern deep within the rock. After a few seconds it’s forced to rebound, the dull thud, falling onto water still flowing through the system. This is then propelled explosively back out through the hole.

boscastle-008a-wm

The Boscastle Blowhole, or the Devil’s Bellows as it is otherwise known.

At high tide the cavern and passageways are overwhelmed and the phenomenon disappears.

boscastle-009a-wm

Impossible to convey the drama through a series of pictures alone. The jet of water is propelled halfway across the inlet. The thuds and roar of the water emerging just has to be experienced first hand.

boscastle-015-wm

A shot from the headland almost directly above the blowhole, looking back. It was on top of those rocks bottom right that we stood to view it. By now, however, the weather had once again taken a turn for the worse. I’m amazed this shot came out at all, given how much the wind was buffeting me around.

boscastle-020-wm

Profile Rock

boscastle-013-wm

Boscastle may seem peaceful now but the blowhole is not its only claim to fame. There is a more unfortunate one.

On 16 August 2004, at the height of the tourist season, a flash flood devastated the village sparked by a freak rainstorm on higher ground. Fifty eight properties were flooded with four completely destroyed. 100 people had to be airlifted to safety. A total of 150 vehicles were swept right through the village, most from the car park at the upper end, the very same place where we’d just left ours.. Eighty-four cars were later recovered from Boscastle harbour, but more than 30 were swept right out to sea. You can read more in a BBC news article here and there are videos of the flood on YouTube. Much has been spent on flood defences in the intervening years and it can only be hoped such devastation never happens again.

boscastle-018-wm

Hard to tell when this damage occurred but what interested me was the small green sign on the right side of the cottage’s front wall. It marks the water level at the height of the flood.

boscastle-019-wm

Autumn colour from Virginia creeper, enhanced by the rain

widemouth-bay-001-wm

Widemouth Bay

A somewhat blustery drive along the coast road before turning back for home.

Linking this post to Jo’s Monday Walk at restless jo

blown-away-in-boscastle

pin it?

2017-10-26T10:36:19+00:00 October 19th, 2016|Tags: |

1. derrickjknight October 19, 2016 at 12:05 pm - Reply

More lovely photographs with your excellent text conveying the drama of the blowhole even if the pictures cannot. Such a shame about the paint. Can it be changed?

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 8:48 pm - Reply

Thanks Derrick. Thankfully we managed to swap all the unopened tins.

2. Sarah Shoesmith October 19, 2016 at 12:22 pm - Reply

Grey paint and a grey day, but the photos are still fabulous. On a renovation project many moons ago, I painstakingly chose a different white for each room depending on how the light hit it. Afterwards, they all looked pretty much the same, but the difference became astonishingly apparent the second I tried to patch up a scuff on the wall with the wrong white. Good luck with finding a replacement grey!

Isn’t it strange how some people can have a filling lunch and follow it up with an ice cream, even though it’s raining, just because they are within spitting distance of the sea? 😉

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 8:50 pm - Reply

Being beside the sea does tend to make you think of ice cream. They didn’t offer salted caramel unfortunately. Had they done I would have been unable to resist.

3. Chloris October 19, 2016 at 12:46 pm - Reply

What a beautiful part of the world and fabulous photos. Whst a pity it was spoilt for you with awful weather. We seem to be plagued with a north -easterly wind at the moment which makes me reluctant to do any gardening.
    I painted my cloakroom last year with what looked like a lovely soft terracotta. It was not until I had finished that it dawned on me that it was more Germolene pink than terracotta. It really is awful but I have spent all year pretending I like it because I can’ t be bothered to repaint it.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 8:55 pm - Reply

Paint is so difficult to get right, even when going to all the bother of match pots it seems. More pictures? Farrow and Ball actually do Ointment Pink..

4. wherefivevalleysmeet October 19, 2016 at 1:36 pm - Reply

What a disappointment about the paint especially having taken such care when choosing.
    Your photos of Boscastle look much brighter and calmer than your description – I remember that terrible 2004 flooding – a freak of nature – it must have been very frightening.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 8:58 pm - Reply

I remember it too. We weren’t living down here then but I do recall it being a particularly wet summer. Lots of freak weather.

5. Indie October 19, 2016 at 2:21 pm - Reply

It looks like such a charming place! Unbelievable how high the water was during the flood! It’s always so sad when such devastation occurs. I’m impressed with your photos despite it being such a blustery day!

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:07 pm - Reply

Thanks Indie. I worry that such freak events will become more common with climate change.

6. Linda from Each Little World October 19, 2016 at 3:19 pm - Reply

I well remember almost finishing a paint job in a room that we thought we knew what we were doing colorwise. We went out to lunch, looked at each other and said ugh! Wrong color; we need to start over. So we did. Depressing, annoying, but ultimately a good result. We may have had a better lunch than you but not such a wonderful experience post-lunch.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:11 pm - Reply

It really was a dramatic colour change, I still don’t understand quite how. But it only took a few strokes of the paintbrush to know that it wasn’t going to work. We let it dry, looked at it again and rang the paint supplier!

7. AnnetteM October 19, 2016 at 3:30 pm - Reply

What a shame about the paint. Do you think they labelled the sample pot incorrectly? It never ceases to amaze me how much paint colour changes, dependent on the light, from one wall to the next, but not as much as you experienced. We once painted a small cloakroom a lovely bright orangey colour – a change from our normally very conservative magnolia. We are now back to choosing magnolia or something very close.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:16 pm - Reply

There was a difference between the match pot and the full pot, but not as dramatic as it appeared on the walls! I go for neutral colours too as a rule. This one was the lightest colour on the chart that wasn’t pure white. Unfortunately we’re having to use a special paint to cover the lime plaster and the colour range is not as extensive as you’d like.

8. Wendy October 19, 2016 at 4:43 pm - Reply

That is frustrating about the colour of the paint. I had all this last year trying to find the right cream. I didn’t realise so many shades of cream actually existed and then after selecting one that looked more like a dirty white in certain lights we had to repaint, too.
    Lovely photos of Boscastle. I haven’t been there for many years. It’s such a pretty village and the floods were frightening.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:19 pm - Reply

It’s the first time I’d ever been into the village although we’ve passed it often enough on the Atlantic Highway. Like so many places around here it is heavily dependent on tourism these days. Many of the cottages now appear to be holiday lets.

9. Brenda October 19, 2016 at 6:00 pm - Reply

That Virginia Creeper looks like its winning the battle to engulf the house.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:21 pm - Reply

I had one once, never again. Not unless I’ve got acres of space. They’re rampant!

10. Kris P October 19, 2016 at 6:38 pm - Reply

I’m sorry you experienced a glitch with your painting plans but I enjoyed accompanying you on your day trip. With Boscastle’s history with flash flood, I was a little surprised you persevered with the trip once the heavens opened up but I appreciated each and every one of your beautiful photos. The Devil’s Bellows was fun – I’ve seen/heard something similar in Hawaii. Best wishes with plan B of the painting challenge!

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:24 pm - Reply

Many days of heavy rain had preceded the Boscastle flood, the ground in the hills above it was saturated. Hopefully a once in a lifetime occurrence! Plan B well underway..

11. Marian St.Clair October 19, 2016 at 9:06 pm - Reply

What a pretty village, even with the bad weather…and an especially wonderful diversion from disappointing paint. My method is to purchase a small pot and paint adjoining walls in the corners of the room so the color reflects itself.

• jannaschreier October 20, 2016 at 6:28 pm - Reply

You’re clever, Marian. I may steal this idea!

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:54 pm - Reply

Me too 🙂

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:27 pm - Reply

I think that method would have helped us if we’d thought about it. Mike started painting in a corner and it was that which made us doubt our choice.

12. bittster October 19, 2016 at 9:55 pm - Reply

It was a pleasure catching up here, so much nicer to get a quick recap on the plastering and painting than to actually go through the days long trudge of waiting for work to get done and plaster to dry and hearthstones to get laid. I can’t wait to see the finished paint job!
    Interesting flood story. Amazing what those fie hundred year storms can do, I feel like we have been getting them more and more on this end as well. I hope your trip left you refreshed and ready to make decisions 🙂

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:30 pm - Reply

Thanks Frank. It was a good break, even for only a day. There does seem to have been more extreme weather over the last few years, all over the world. I dread to think where it’s going.

13. womanwalkingblog October 19, 2016 at 10:05 pm - Reply

Aargh paint colours. I painted our whole living room four different colours in a week because each time the colour was wrong. And after creamy,yellowy, blue grey it remained terracotta until I could get up the enthusiasm to try again. Now I swear by Natural Calico or Heartless. By Dulux. The latter is better known as Timeless but I prefer our house name.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:45 pm - Reply

Hello and welcome!
      Oh I’m so glad it’s not just me. However many match pots you paint it still doesn’t give you the impression of a whole painted wall, never mind a whole painted room.

14. womanwalkingblog October 19, 2016 at 10:07 pm - Reply

Should also add that definite colours are easy to get right – it’s the barely there that are so tricksy.

Best of luck. Ceri

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:50 pm - Reply

Too true. The off white that is anything but. I thought I’d found the perfect one.. F&B’s White Tie. But this house has too many tricks up its sleeve. It it was just lime plaster distemper or lime wash would do it. If it was just ordinary plaster emulsion would do it. But it’s a combination. So apparently it has to be clay paint. No White Tie 🙁

15. Karen October 19, 2016 at 10:13 pm - Reply

Lovely, lovely views and village! How nice to see Virginina creeper all the way in Cornwall!

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:53 pm - Reply

It seems to like Cornwall.. it does TOO well! Thanks Karen.

16. ourfrenchoasis October 19, 2016 at 10:14 pm - Reply

Looks like a perfectly charming way to spend a day and fabulous photos, the weather I am quite sure made it all the better, there’s so much more to life than sun and blue skies!

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 9:57 pm - Reply

We certainly wouldn’t have seen such dramatic seas, or the blowhole, without the wind. The rain was pretty miserable. The sideways stuff that gets you wet whatever you do. And, not expecting rain, we’d left the waterproofs at home!

17. Caro October 20, 2016 at 12:08 am - Reply

I didn’t know about the amazing Boscastle Blowhole, at least that part of your day went well. It hardly seems 12 years since the village was flooded; I remember how awful it looked – I’d been there the summer before with some friends and remember thinking that the village was quite cut off and near to the sea. I wonder if the witches’ museum is still there or did it get swept away in the floods? Paint PS: Nothing wrong with plain white!

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:01 pm - Reply

The witches’ museum is still there.
      Plain white is what we’ve now gone for. Very light and bright. And, as it happens, in dull/artificial light remarkably like the soft grey I’d wanted originally. Win win!

18. Pauline October 20, 2016 at 6:11 am - Reply

Lovely Boscastle, we were there a long time ago and were horrified when we watched the storm on TV. Everything looks back to normal with hardly a mark on the village.
    I have painted our ceilings the same colour as the walls, but they look 3 shades darker because they don’t get the sunlight!

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:04 pm - Reply

Re paint, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head Pauline. I still don’t understand why it didn’t turn darker when I put the test board up against the ceiling. Maybe I’d held it in a brighter spot.

19. germac4 October 20, 2016 at 7:03 am - Reply

Looking at the photos, I wondered about flooding, some of those houses look awfully close to the water…

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:11 pm - Reply

Most are slightly elevated, but the river burst its banks big time. The sheer volume of water coming down the valley spilled out on to the roads, turning them into rivers too. Add to that, all the cars from the car park being swept down by the water crashed into the buildings.

20. Steve October 20, 2016 at 8:15 am - Reply

I guess grey is a difficult colour. Did you actually try some on your walls or just on a board. The absorbency of the material could make a large difference. The good news is you clearly enjoyed your weekend. I am sure there will be plenty of less fine days for painting.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:15 pm - Reply

Absorbency would have made a big difference, especially on lime. It does tend to suck the water out of the paint. Lessons learned!

21. Cathy October 20, 2016 at 8:59 am - Reply

The Further Adventures of Jessica – always a good read…! Brilliant photos despite the weather and scarey to think about those floods again – it beggars belief really. I am sure you will come up with a solution for the paint – have you done all the room, or just part of it. If it’s really awful it’s better not to pretend and just cut your losses and go for something different – even if it does mean another long decision maling process…

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:20 pm - Reply

Thankfully we’d hardly done any painting before deciding it wasn’t right and the supplier changed the unopened tins without a quibble. No decision making process needed this time.. the only lighter colour is white so that is what we’ve gone for now. I’ll just have to jazz it up a bit when it comes to fabrics!

22. Jayne Hill October 20, 2016 at 10:58 am - Reply

Beautiful pictures (but we expect no less from Duck Studios!) and by general reckoning, not a bad day out after all, the blowhole is amazing. I well remember the dreadful flood, I’ve always prayed there were no dogs left in the car park whilst their owners did something else . . . seeing the devastation in Cockermouth four years later it’s a surprise that more houses were not completely destroyed.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:25 pm - Reply

This increase in extreme weather is worrying to say the least. I guess we can expect more of it, a tragedy for all those affected.

23. Marianne October 20, 2016 at 12:19 pm - Reply

Brilliant photo reportage, beautifully observed. Can I ask what type camera you use?
    I painted my whole house with a ‘Milk White’ from Cr..n, like you for continuity and light reflection, which looks like an ordinary white but late in the day when the light starts to change it metamophoses into white with everso slight greenish hue, which I can only compare to ‘woodland shadows reflecting of the walls’. Total fluke, but amazingly lovely, still gets to me every day.
    Thank you for the pleasure your blogs gives me.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:35 pm - Reply

I (we) use Mike’s Nikon DSLR. I am gradually getting to grips with it and it’s a lovely camera. But I’m also contemplating getting a bridge camera for the versatility, especially the extra zoom. So often when we’re out we could do with a camera each and hopefully the two will complement each other nicely.
      Unfortunately the type of paint we have to use has a limited colour palette, so it’s now white. But I have noticed a similar effect. In dull light it goes light grey. Quite nice really!
      Thank you for your kind words Marianne.

24. Denise October 20, 2016 at 12:50 pm - Reply

When I was 16ish I was very much in love with Boscastle. I still have many photos of those very rock formations taken with my Olympus OM10 camera (with a proper twisty lens and everything!) Happy days!

Vis á vis the grey paint: I refer you directly to my Sky (blue) bathroom tile débâcle. The tiles are still grey. ? I shall NOT be falling into the same trap with the kitchen.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:39 pm - Reply

I think I had an Olympus OM10. It was an Olympus something or other anyway.
      Your tiles are a nice warm grey, exactly as I had wanted for the bedroom. The colour we got was cold. Not bedroom like at all. If only I could use F&B, so many gorgeous greys to choose from!

25. Backlane Notebook October 20, 2016 at 1:29 pm - Reply

Great images and good to see that Boscastle has recovered from the devastating flood. I am rather shocked to read that it happened twelve years ago since I remember it so clearly. Blige -time flies past fast these days.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:42 pm - Reply

I got the same shock when I looked up the date of the Boscastle flood. I remember it distinctly too.

26. ginaferrari October 20, 2016 at 1:49 pm - Reply

Glad to hear your day turned out okay in the end. I’ve never trusted those match Pots!

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:45 pm - Reply

I’ve got a huge collection of match pots. Trouble is, we discovered they don’t keep that well especially if they get stored somewhere too cold. I can’t use that excuse this time though!

27. stephanie young October 20, 2016 at 3:42 pm - Reply

those rainy days produce the most lovely photographs! and this visit will stick with you because of the ‘trials’ getting there!!! I’d much rather be sightseeing than painting any day!!

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:46 pm - Reply

You and me both. The painter would agree!

28. Susan Garrett October 20, 2016 at 3:56 pm - Reply

I think I remember seeing the reports of the floods on the TV at the time.

I have had a similar problem in the past of paint not living up to paint pot promise. Do you think the different surface is to blame?

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:49 pm - Reply

Almost certainly Sue. That and the different light conditions across the room. Obviously I didn’t move the board around enough. The room is quite dark in places, hence me wanting a really light colour. We’ve gone for white now!

29. frayedattheedge October 20, 2016 at 6:11 pm - Reply

Super photos – and yet another place added to the “must visit one day” list!!

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:50 pm - Reply

It’s getting to be a long list! But then so is mine, much of it in Scotland.

30. jannaschreier October 20, 2016 at 6:27 pm - Reply

What a gorgeous place. I’m sure you were glad you made the effort in the end. Doesn’t half make you think when you see those green lines though. And yes, I’ve been there with the just marginally off-white with a soupçon of grey paint. In actual fact it all looked very nice once the furniture was in and pictures up. But I had a sleepless night (over paint colour, I ask you?) in the meantime.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:53 pm - Reply

I can understand the sleepless night. I did wonder if it would have been OK if we’d just carried on, but probably not. It really was very blue, almost lilac, quite different from the effect I’d wanted.

31. Dorothy Borders October 20, 2016 at 8:09 pm - Reply

Wonderful pictures. You really give us a sense of the place through images and words. Too bad, though, about that paint job. I’ve experienced that myself. The paint looks perfect in the swatch – not so much when you get it on the wall.

• Jessica October 20, 2016 at 10:56 pm - Reply

It happens all too often doesn’t it. Some colours are notoriously difficult. I believe grey is one of them. Hey ho, live and learn.

32. Cathy October 21, 2016 at 7:05 am - Reply

A wonderful post and terrific pictures as always, Jessica. Hard to believe that the weather was as poor as you say, because there is so much light in your shots (and not a raindrop in sight!). I remember the flooding on the TV – it’s good to be reminded and have a closer look at the village today.

• Jessica October 22, 2016 at 11:57 am - Reply

Thanks Cathy. It’s remarkably hard to photograph rain. I’ve tried a couple of times in a tropical rain style deluge here and for some reason it never works!

33. Julieanne October 21, 2016 at 9:51 am - Reply

I haven’t been to Boscastle in years. Your gorgeous photos reveal it to be as lovely as I remember, despite the impact of the 2004 floods.

Good luck finding a new colour. It always seems like a straight-forward thing, choosing paint. Somehow it never is.

• Jessica October 22, 2016 at 11:58 am - Reply

No, it never is. I’m still looking at the sample board with some regret. I thought we’d found the perfect colour but it was not to be.

34. Torrington Tina October 21, 2016 at 7:49 pm - Reply

Yes, we have been there with those changes in paint colours, and had to re-think the paint that was applied! And, while at Tarn Hows in The Lakes last Friday we were reminiscing on our last visit to the tarn in August 2004 when we heard on the news about the devastating floods in Boscastle. Lovely photos despite the weather.

• Jessica October 22, 2016 at 12:00 pm - Reply

Hope you had a good time in The Lakes.. and that it wasn’t too wet!!

35. Brian Skeys October 21, 2016 at 11:11 pm - Reply

It is heartening to see Boscastle looking so good after all it has been through.

• Jessica October 22, 2016 at 12:01 pm - Reply

Yes, it’s come through well. With the flood defences in place I hope it will be safe now.

36. Sol October 22, 2016 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Spectacular pictures. It is now on my list to go to!

• Jessica October 23, 2016 at 7:47 pm - Reply

If you can time the tides right and the sea is rough make sure you see the blowhole. It kept me mesmerised quite some time. Thanks Sol.

37. Natalie October 22, 2016 at 1:11 pm - Reply

Wow, what stunning photos! I haven’t been to Cornwall since ’88. Time to get back there. That high-water mark on the house is unreal!

• Jessica October 23, 2016 at 7:58 pm - Reply

Scary isn’t it. And the flood happened so quickly people didn’t have any chance to get out of the way. A miracle no lives were lost.

38. CherryPie October 22, 2016 at 5:45 pm - Reply

It looks like a really pretty place to visit, but probably better without the rain.

• Jessica October 23, 2016 at 8:17 pm - Reply

Definitely better without the rain. And the wind. Such is Autumn. But it only lasted a day so it could have been much worse.

39. Linda P. October 22, 2016 at 9:38 pm - Reply

So much work has been done since last I visited your blog, Jessica. I’m glad that you were able to exchange the paint. Boscastle certainly went through a terrible time. I think a lot of people will remember seeing the pictures of the devastation caused by the flooding. I also remember the Lynmouth Flood disaster although the conditions were different. These events seemed to have happened less often then and as we used to spend holidays in Devon and Cornwall it sticks in my mind. Beautiful photos of the village, the coast and the amazing blowhole.

• Jessica October 23, 2016 at 8:33 pm - Reply

The climate seems to have changed even in the five years or so we’ve been living in the South West. Very worrying how it’s all going. Thanks Linda.

40. Sigrun October 23, 2016 at 3:30 pm - Reply

Your pictures are especially beautiful, and so big for showing. I was in Boscastle in 2007, a nice litte place. I remember the big flood, and have all that pictures in my brain. Horrible. Thanks for showing.

Sigrun

• Jessica October 23, 2016 at 11:28 pm - Reply

It was terrible watching it on the news, must have been very frightening indeed to have been there.

41. annie_h October 23, 2016 at 8:01 pm - Reply

Again such great photos even on such a grey day. It looks such a beautiful place to visit and hard to imagine the terrible flooding isn’t it. Definitely better than painting

• Jessica October 23, 2016 at 11:38 pm - Reply

Looking at Boscastle today there is very little evidence of the flood, it’s recovered really well. I hope that’s true of the people caught up in it too.

42. Sarah October 24, 2016 at 4:32 pm - Reply

After the paint disaster and the meal and the rain it was good to hear that something turned in your favour. The experience of hearing and seeing the blowhole must have been amazing! We visited Boscastle a year after the dreadful disaster and saw how many buildings were being repaired so glad the . defences have held up to prevent it happening again. Sarah x

• Jessica October 25, 2016 at 8:31 pm - Reply

It must have been a pretty exceptional set of circumstances that led up to such a disastrous flood, but the residents must feel much happier now that the defences have been put in place. It’s such a peaceful village, must be idyllic when the tourists have all gone home.

43. restlessjo October 24, 2016 at 5:04 pm - Reply

Isn’t it a beautiful world? I just love the whoosh and bump of that water! Although totally different this put me in mind of a visit to Glenridding in the Lakes last November. We were there one weekend and the following one the stream and lake overflowed and the village was up to its knees in water. Such a tragic sight!

• Jessica October 25, 2016 at 8:37 pm - Reply

I think I remember reading about that flood. There are just too many these days and all tragic for those involved. The blowhole was fascinating, it seems we were really lucky to see it. Right place, right time. I had no idea it existed before that day.

44. snowbird October 25, 2016 at 9:28 pm - Reply

Sorry to hear about the grey paint, I’ve been there too! Lemon is a hard one to get right…
    Such beautiful pictures, it is hard to show the drama of a blow hole, we saw one in Nusa Dua, in Bali, I must post on it one day….it’s a stunning sight to witness! How awful, hearing of the flood, climate change is a reality for sure now…..what a wonderful day out, rain and all!xxx

• Jessica October 26, 2016 at 8:30 pm - Reply

Yes, climate change is a real worry. It’s having a devastating impact on the natural world.

45. BeckyB November 1, 2016 at 10:34 am - Reply

Fabulous post, so atmospheric and perfect for sharing Boscastle’s past. I’m glad you have found a solution for your painting. I still recall trying to decide for two very dark rooms, I have large square patches around the room on all walls for ages before i finally made up my mind!

• Jessica November 1, 2016 at 3:26 pm - Reply

Hi Becky, thanks and welcome!
      Choosing paint is the hardest thing. We’ve finished a room before now and then immediately repainted it because it wasn’t right. Worth it, but frustrating. And costly!

46. Peter Herpst November 3, 2016 at 2:24 pm - Reply

Your beautiful photos always make me wish to live in your part of the world. We’ve had the wettest October on record so if I simply close my eyes and stand in the rain, I can pretend to be visiting. What a dramatic phenomenon and how lucky that you got to experience it. Glad that you were able to exchange the gray paint!

• Jessica November 4, 2016 at 8:40 pm - Reply

It’s weird isn’t it, how things go. That must have been about the only seriously rainy day of autumn down here. It’s been uncharacteristically dry. All about to change now though. Rain followed by cold. I took the last of the tender plants inside today 🙁

47. Tina November 28, 2016 at 11:16 pm - Reply

Beautiful photos. I love them and can almost feel the rain.

• Jessica November 29, 2016 at 8:01 am - Reply

Hi Tina, thanks and welcome.
      We were unlucky with the weather that day. Mostly Autumn has been good down here. It’s turned dry again now, but cold. It would be a better day to be on the coast today, sunny and still. But I’d need a good few woolly layers!