Piet Oudolf And Chocolate Mousse

Hauser & Wirth 010 Wm

The Oudolf Field, Hauser & Wirth, Somerset

Hauser & Wirth 006 Wm

All last summer I’d been meaning to visit this place. There just wasn’t time.

There really isn’t time this year either, especially as it’s a two hour drive. But what do you know, all of a sudden Himself is chivvying for replacement floorboards and where is the best reclamation yard for miles around? Just up the road from Hauser & Wirth.

Hauser & Wirth 005 Wm

For the second time in 24 hours Mike rejected the route offered by his trusty navigator and decided to follow his own. After all the hard work I’d put into it too. All that burning of the late night oil, slaving over dusty old maps and sketching out of route plans on the back of an envelope.. OK, so I put the postcode into Google Maps and pressed ‘Go’. The most challenging part of the whole operation is finding a spot with 4G, as rare as a shedful of hens’ teeth in these parts. Faced with ‘No Service’, following a preset route requires imagination but is not impossible. Setting it up in the first place though, that needs every last bit of juice in the tank. Diligent observance of signal strength is required and a lightning fast reaction the second there’s enough. How many times has Mike had to ram on the anchors at the scream of “STTTOP!! HERE! NOW!”, sliding to a halt into a farmer’s gateway if he’s lucky and in the middle of the single track road if he’s not.

But this time of course we were going by Mike’s route. So how did that work then? On Tuesday night we followed a tractor which refused to pull over and then yesterday three large lorries in a convoy on a narrow country lane. The journey home on each occasion, following the directions provided by the app, proved to be faultless.

Hauser & Wirth 012 Wm

The Oudolf Field sits behind the Somerset outpost of modern art gallery Hauser & Wirth, located in Bruton at Durslade Farm.

Carefully shaped and planted, the garden echoes the tradition of classical gardens, but the variety of species and combination of plants creates a looseness, softening the formality of the appearance. The garden contains over 26,000 herbaceous perennials. Wide canopied trees have been planted between the gallery and garden to frame the view. The surrounding hedges provide a sense of enclosure, whilst the views of the hills and fields beyond remain visible. A series of paths cut through the vegetation, inviting visitors to wander through the garden. Oudolf’s landscaping design continues around the buildings including the inner cloister courtyard, where the old buildings meet the new. *

Hauser & Wirth 008 Wm

I just loved it. The sweeping vistas from one area of the garden to the next..

Hauser & Wirth 003 Wm

Hauser & Wirth 013 Wm

The perfect composition of the borders in terms of height, colour, texture and form.

Hauser & Wirth 004 Wm

Hauser & Wirth 002 Wm

The softness of the planting enhanced by grasses.

Hauser & Wirth 009 Wm

On this quite breezy day, the movement and rustling of the leaves.

Echinacea purpurea 'Fatal Attraction' 001 Wm

Echinacea purpurea ‘Fatal Attraction’

The whole site is literally alive with butterflies, bees and flocks of small birds homing in on the seedheads that are already starting to form.

Hauser & Wirth 001 Wm

Snails? Welcome ones.

Hauser & Wirth 014 Wm

The art gallery (no indoor pictures allowed), as with the garden, is free to enter and well worth a look around. Whilst it may not appeal to those with a more traditional taste it is interesting without doubt. I will gaze upon the jars in the kitchen cupboard in a completely different light from now on. And then there is the Roth Bar & Grill. We booked ahead and I’m glad we did. It’s extremely popular. Mostly, it would appear, with the local ‘Ladies Who Lunch’. And why not indeed.

Hauser & Wirth 016 Wm

Our customary practice on a lunch outing, for the sake of the perpetual diet, is to share a dessert. One portion, two spoons. But by this time of course Mike had spotted the chocolate mousse being served at a table nearby. It seemed that if I was to enjoy so much as a single molecule of the mousse and its accompanying salted caramel sauce I would have to order one of my own. Delicious. If a tad rich. A half portion would have been ample. For me.

Hauser & Wirth 017 Wm

Hauser & Wirth 007 Wm

A further wander around the garden to try to burn off some of the calories before plotting the onward route. Floorboards were calling. Back to the place with the Russian tank. But that’s a tale for another day.

Hauser & Wirth 011 Wm

No shortage of inspiration to take home.

Hauser & Wirth 015 Wm

* words from the Oudolf Field guidebook

With thanks to Jill Anderson for reminding me to go. You can find her recent post about Hauser & Wirth at Growing Nicely (here)

Piet Oudolf and Chocolate Mousse

pin it?

2017-10-26T10:45:36+00:00 August 11th, 2016|Tags: |

1. jannaschreier August 11, 2016 at 4:22 pm - Reply

How gorgeous, Jessica. My friend visited a year or so back and it’s another on my list. I’ve even got the place nearby to stay at written down. Your photos are wonderful; I do hope to see it one day. PS You brought back not so distant memories of us trying to get Spotify coverage on our drive down to Devon!

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 7:17 pm - Reply

We kept saying as we walked around that you would love it. It does make me think that I should be filling in all the gaps here with more of the same rather than new plants of a different type. The impact that all those huge drifts make is phenomenal. I shall wait and see what survives the winter wet and then buy more/divide/take cuttings and encourage self seeders. We’re still having internet problems at home as well. One day we’ll make it into the digital age.

• jannaschreier August 12, 2016 at 9:04 pm - Reply

You are so right: I am quite a big fan of repetition. Not boring repetition, but ‘just enough’! I keep trying to persuade my Mum to do exactly as you suggest, as I think it could reduce the demands her garden makes of her, but I’m not sure I’ve had much impact as yet! Very wise to check which plants are happy first though! Hope your internet improves very soon.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 11:28 pm - Reply

Internet is driving me mad tonight. The spinning wheel of doom is much in evidence.
          I’ve had so many plant failures that it pays to test one or two out before breaking the bank. Next year will be a real war against pests and I must also improve the soil, drainage and fertility.

2. Christina August 11, 2016 at 4:30 pm - Reply

Oh,I was in Somerset last week and completely forgot about this garden to visit!!!! Next time, The advantage of Tom Tom is that it doesn’t need coverage but on the other hand the routes aren’t always as good as Google and we have to remember to pack it and bring it home afterwards!!

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 7:23 pm - Reply

It’s really quite strange because the route and current position seem to come via satellite and the background maps via the mobile signal. Every so often the map disappears and it becomes something of a game keeping the blue spot (position) following the blue line (route). I know I’ve gone wrong when the blue spot takes off into the ether!

3. Christina August 11, 2016 at 4:35 pm - Reply

Just looked at the map (google of course) and we must have almost driven past it!!! !!!! !!!!!

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 7:28 pm - Reply

Next time, as you say. It’s well worth it. And so close to the A303 that you can easily take a detour. Just rather too many air and motor museums in the vicinity. Sooner or later favours will be called in.

4. wherefivevalleysmeet August 11, 2016 at 4:36 pm - Reply

Now I am green with envy and must return to Durslade Farm. We visited in January 2015, and I knew in my heart of hearts that it was really too early to view The Oudolf Field, but it is far more beautiful than imaged it would be when it was still wearing its winter cloak.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 7:32 pm - Reply

I hope they leave the grasses and seedheads uncut over winter. I’ve planted phlomis this year, although will need more now having seen them en masse. It will be interesting to see it with a coating of frost.

5. Sarah Shoesmith August 11, 2016 at 4:39 pm - Reply

It sits so perfectly into the landscape, doesn’t it? You certainly chose what must be the best time of year to require floorboards. Well done! I was a little confused by the whole pudding business. Since when was half a chocolate mousse sufficient?

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 7:39 pm - Reply

The hedges are the perfect height to frame the garden without interfering with the views. And from outside the garden you wouldn’t know it was there, well apart from the space ship thingy. Ahhh, you’ve exposed my lack of a sweet tooth. I’m more of a savoury sort of girl. There is an exception though. Anything with salted caramel has to be good. The salt makes all the difference.

6. M. L. Kappa August 11, 2016 at 4:53 pm - Reply

What a lovely place! Absolutely stunning

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 7:40 pm - Reply

I was expecting it to be good, but it really is stunning.

7. kate@barnhouse August 11, 2016 at 4:54 pm - Reply

Good to see you got there, finally. It’s marvellous, I love it.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 7:48 pm - Reply

I liked the repetition, especially of the grasses like Molinia ‘Transparent’ and Imperata cylindrica. Goodness knows how I would make it work on a slope, an extra challenge.

• kate@barnhouse August 13, 2016 at 2:56 pm - Reply

Maybe think of sand dunes or mountain slopes … lots of grasses work brilliantly on tricky sites. I know Ouldolf Field looks unrepresentative, as it’s a dead flat almost rectangular expanse but with your imagination you can make the plantings of dreams work for your sloping garden.

• Jessica August 15, 2016 at 12:11 am - Reply

I think I have the basics of it but it is clear from Oudolf Field that I need to bulk up all of the plantings. This is definitely a case of less (variety) being more. And hopefully the slope will add an extra perspective on the design.

8. Vera August 11, 2016 at 5:02 pm - Reply

What a lovely day out, Jessica, and what lovely, and tidy, gardens. I shall just carry on enjoying your photos, hoping that one day I shall manage to create a patch of flowery loveliness, even if it is a one metre square patch of our land!

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 7:51 pm - Reply

It seemed as if every clump of the same type had an invisible boundary so it just touched its neighbours but never overcrowded. Very neat indeed. It’s still a very new garden. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when it has matured and softened a bit.

9. Marian St.Clair August 11, 2016 at 5:06 pm - Reply

What an inspiring garden…perfect for an art gallery. I especially like the area in the first photograph, with the lawn-covered mounds. They relate nicely to the green hills beyond and add an interesting contrast to the blooms. You have been lucky in your travels this year!

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 7:54 pm - Reply

Those mini mounds do work very well. I spent a long time skulking in the heleniums to get that shot without too many people in it.

10. Alison August 11, 2016 at 5:12 pm - Reply

Oh My, thanks for sharing your great photos of this place! So inspiring.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 7:56 pm - Reply

It is very inspiring for me as it is exactly the sort of effect I want for my slope. Just not on the same scale!

11. willow August 11, 2016 at 5:38 pm - Reply

Ooh, another place to put on my list of “places to stop when travelling down to Exeter”. I did go to Cothay after you mentioned it last time. It was lovely, it rained but it was lovely!

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 7:59 pm - Reply

I’m glad you liked Cothay. That’s another really good garden.

12. smallsunnygarden August 11, 2016 at 5:39 pm - Reply

Oh, is that tank still on offer?! 😉
    Having lived next door to Kansas for much of my life, it’s fascinating to see the very well-planned “prairie look” as a garden. The use of grasses is wonderful, and the knowledge to work so closely with natural growth habits.
    On a somewhat related note, have you checked Gaura (now Oenothera lindheimeri) as a possible plant for the slope? Definitely takes dry conditions quite well and is said to be hardy to -28 C with good drainage… Just a thought 😉

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 8:15 pm - Reply

The tank was still there and I even got a picture of it which will no doubt feature at some point. You would think everyone would want a Russian tank for their lawn. I’m tempted, just to put the wind up the rabbits.
      I had Gaura up there last year but it has come back looking very weedy, in fact only one piece has really come back at all. With the heavy wet clay I will struggle with so many perennials. It will be very much trial and error.

• smallsunnygarden August 14, 2016 at 4:07 pm - Reply

Heavy clay is tough stuff – wet or dry 🙁

• Jessica August 15, 2016 at 12:12 am - Reply

It is. And with only about a day in transition between each state when it is actually workable.

13. Jo August 11, 2016 at 6:08 pm - Reply

What a fabulous place to visit, very inspirational. Your route planning made me giggle! x

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 8:18 pm - Reply

Anything involving technology is such a struggle down here. I don’t understand why it has to be so hard!

14. linda August 11, 2016 at 6:38 pm - Reply

Unbelievable…breathtaking…and not a Pheasant in sight!
    Wonderful photos Jessica…thanks for the tour!
    Get the floorboards?????
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I bet they are there, lurking in the woods. At night, when everyone has gone home, they come in and peck the bloom off something, just because they can.
      No floorboards yet, but possibilities!

15. Backlane Notebook August 11, 2016 at 6:40 pm - Reply

Don’t get me started on any navigation other than the map and me the passenger. A fantastically inspiring garden and the planting there is the only thing that comforts me if I have box blight-jury still out on that one but looking OK currently.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 9:06 pm - Reply

I do hope you manage to escape the box blight. The lonicera hedge we planted here is filling out, but it’s not the same. And much faster growing.. it needs clipping every few weeks!

16. Freda August 11, 2016 at 6:41 pm - Reply

Brilliant! I know Scampston in North Yorkshire and Pensthorpe in Norfolk by Oudolf. One of the best designers, and not difficult to emulate if you know what grows best in your area (the Prairie look is something of a challenge in the wet west of Scotland). But mainly I think it is being bold enough to plant fewer things but more of them – am slowly heading that way – maybe I should just go for it? Lovely to see another of his gardens Jessica. (Wish you hadn’t mentioned that chocolate mousse!)

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 9:14 pm - Reply

The prairie look may be a challenge for me too but it’s so lovely I’ve got to try. Like you I am moving towards fewer things, it does look so good to see big drifts of colour. We should just go for it. Sorry about the chocolate mousse, I forgot it was fast day. So far I haven’t lost any weight this week. I wonder why?

17. Alison Piasecka August 11, 2016 at 6:55 pm - Reply

Brilliant, lovely photos and a great post. Yes, an ambition….

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 9:32 pm - Reply

Your climate may be better suited than mine. Perhaps my biggest challenge will be defeating the slugs. I love heleniums but I do believe the slimy ones love them more.

18. frayedattheedge August 11, 2016 at 7:06 pm - Reply

You show us so many fabulous places I think we shall have to come and live with you, and join you on your days out ……..

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 9:34 pm - Reply

You’re very welcome Anne, as long as you remember to bring your plasterer’s trowel.

• frayedattheedge August 15, 2016 at 7:16 pm - Reply

No problem ……. but I haven’t done any plastering since we lived in our Victorian house in the 90s, so I might be a little RUSTY (sorry, couldn’t resist that one!!)

• Jessica August 15, 2016 at 11:08 pm - Reply

I’m sure we can find alternative employment. There are still several tons of rubble to shift.. 🙂

19. Sarah August 11, 2016 at 7:09 pm - Reply

I’m so glad those floorboards were close to here! We visited the garden this time last year and we loved it. It is our favourite style of planting and the garden looks as if it gets better and better each year. I think you will trying to find more floor boards to replace in the future to get a return trip! Sarah x

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 9:42 pm - Reply

It is quite a long drive so it’s a real bonus to find other reasons to make the journey! There are areas of the garden that have obviously been recently replanted, I suppose it must be three years old now so will be due some maintenance. The vast majority still looks fab and so densely planted there is little room for weeds!

20. CT August 11, 2016 at 8:41 pm - Reply

What a gorgeous place. Beautiful house and those gardens look so rich. As for the choc mousse…. 🙂

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 9:44 pm - Reply

The choc mousse was good, it has to be said. I have made several forays into my bramble patch since then in an attempt to burn off the calories.

21. Steve August 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm - Reply

Fantastic photos and the Piet Oudolf planting looks wonderful. This garden is now on my list. Last May Noel Kingsbury gave a talk on Piet Oudolf which is well worth hearing if you ever see Noel doing it again.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 10:03 pm - Reply

Hi Steve and welcome! I have been an Oudolf fan for a while based on pictures of his designs. Having now seen one in the flesh so to speak I would say it is even better than I imagined. I will certainly keep an eye out for one of Noel’s talks, thanks.

22. justjilluk August 11, 2016 at 9:11 pm - Reply

What a beautiful place. Thanks for showing us,, theres no way I would ever get there. How does anyone visualise what to plant like that? Amazing.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 10:11 pm - Reply

Jill, if you can manage .59 you would easily do this. Plus it’s all on the flat, chariot friendly paths. Red wine available at rest stops. The beauty of this is that it uses relatively few different plants. There is a lot of repetition (in a good way), with new combinations each time. They have achieved what I struggle with most.. getting the heights right.

23. Julieanne August 11, 2016 at 9:56 pm - Reply

I’m a stickler for paper maps, preferably Ordnance Survey ones – just love those. And you don’t need a signal for them 😉

Wonderful photos and I love some of the combinations such as the Echinops & was that Veronicastrum? I’ve not even known of this garden but I’ve added it to my list now. What a fine place to enjoy colour and form, and interesting art too.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 10:21 pm - Reply

I used to love paper map reading too. Then Himself bought a Tom Tom and I was made redundant. At least using the iPad gives me some control back! When it works it also shows useful things like traffic congestion so you’ve a chance to avoid it and find another way.
      From studying the planting plan I believe it’s Veronicastrum virginicum ‘Erica’.

24. Julieanne August 11, 2016 at 9:57 pm - Reply

P.S. I’m with Mike, a whole choc mousse just for me!

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 10:22 pm - Reply

🙂

25. Diana Studer August 11, 2016 at 11:12 pm - Reply

Those snails … look like eyes to me. Disembodied. Creepy. Very.

We have been revelling in the Tibits buffet (in London and Zurich).
    A dessert buffet. With chocolate mousse. Warm brownies, And and and. Yummy!

26. Brian Skeys August 12, 2016 at 12:24 am - Reply

I have read about this new garden, having visited some of his other gardens it is on the to do list.
    Thanks for the preview.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 10:40 pm - Reply

Definitely worth the trip down Brian.

27. germac4 August 12, 2016 at 12:44 am - Reply

Very interesting .. I love his gardens & use of colour. Your photos are wonderful .. I look forward to looking at them on a bigger screen … We are travelling at the moment & the phone screen while have to do. .. Hope all goes well with your renovations.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 10:43 pm - Reply

Thanks Gerrie. Hope you’re travelling for pleasure and having a great time!

28. casa mariposa August 12, 2016 at 3:38 am - Reply

What an incredible garden but why is the last house on those weird mushroom supports?

29. Beth @ PlantPostings August 12, 2016 at 3:50 am - Reply

Stunning combinations of plants and great swaths of color. Your photography really does it justice, too. Thanks for sharing!

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 10:52 pm - Reply

Thank you Beth. It is a truly inspirational garden. It’s an easy thing to say, but it really has given me plenty of new ideas. Parting with a fiver also let me come home with the planting plan so I’ve a great resource to look up new things to try here.

30. Kris P August 12, 2016 at 5:33 am - Reply

Absolutely breathtaking! It brought to mind a symphony conducted by a world class maestro, which I guess is exactly what it is.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 10:53 pm - Reply

Indeed it is.

31. Sue Garrett August 12, 2016 at 9:35 am - Reply

Those borders are gorgeous, if only I had the space to recreate something like that!
    I have to admit when I first looked at the snails I thought that they were eyes. This is the first time in a post that I have read about someone and seeing lots of butterflies as it seems this year there is a certain lack of them. I wondered if the windy weather that has prevailed is something to do with that.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 11:00 pm - Reply

Turns out they are eyes.. see Diana’s link above.
      I’m seeing fewer butterflies here too (no pun!). Mostly they’re white ones. I’ve not seen a single comma so far this year, a couple of peacocks and no red admirals. Perhaps it’s too early. I would imagine the concentration of blooms at Hauser & Wirth brings them in from miles around, but come to think of it they were mostly white there too.

32. derrickjknight August 12, 2016 at 11:56 am - Reply

Beautiful shots, well worth the trip. It won’t take you long to rival it 🙂

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 11:04 pm - Reply

Rival it, never. Maybe just an impression of it here and there.

33. Indie August 12, 2016 at 1:16 pm - Reply

Sounds like it was quite a drive to get there, but oh what a gorgeous jewel at the end of the journey! I love Oudolf’s work. The gardens look amazing with those flowing bands of texture and color. So incredible! The art is interesting, too, and the dessert sounds delicious. What a great place to visit!

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 11:10 pm - Reply

The huge drifts of plants were so impressive. It makes my planting in threes look rather inadequate. I can see I’m going to have to get into serious propagation mode in the future.

34. bittster August 12, 2016 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Beautiful plantings and a fantastic post! Your photos are exceptional and it sounds like you had a great visit. I love seeing the mass plantings of perennials all in peak bloom at this time of year, it’s really a show.

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 11:13 pm - Reply

Thanks Frank. I think we did catch it at its peak, although the sedums and japanese anemones are still to come.

35. bitaboutbritain August 12, 2016 at 5:41 pm - Reply

Oh – Mrs Britain would love that. I think I would too. AND chocolate mousse?! It’s too much. Wonderful photos. Navigation has to be approached very carefully, I find…

• Jessica August 12, 2016 at 11:19 pm - Reply

Even technology does not free you from potential disagreement. At least I have managed to turn off ‘the voice’ on the directions. She always remained calm though, which is more than can be said for me.

36. Denise August 13, 2016 at 12:50 am - Reply

I well remember your single-track lanes when we toured English gardens, and the time-sucking backup behind lorries/trucks. But what garden riches you have! My fav photo, and it’s deliciously hard to choose, is the one with the white bean-shaped building. Thanks for this!

• Jessica August 15, 2016 at 12:06 am - Reply

The slow pace of life, literally in some cases, needs a bit of getting used to. Travelling anywhere in this neck of the woods can be acutely frustrating!

37. snowbird August 14, 2016 at 9:03 pm - Reply

What a fabulous place! The planting is just heavenly…..interesting sculpture too.Good luck with the new floor.xxx

• Jessica August 15, 2016 at 12:32 am - Reply

Hiya. Heavenly indeed. Blessed with few weeds, slugs, rabbits, careering dogs..

38. Cathy August 15, 2016 at 8:54 am - Reply

26,000 perennials? Sigh…. As you say, the borders are brilliant in their proprtions and in shape and form – and definitely prompt the realisation that planting in groups is often more effective than planting singly, even in much smaller gardens. Love the sculptures too

• Jessica August 15, 2016 at 8:59 pm - Reply

In smaller spaces (mine included) it’s such a trade off when you want something of interest all year. But I am coming to the same realisation. When I look at the bank I don’t see impact unless I plant bold colours or have big drifts.

39. ontheedgegardening August 15, 2016 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Looks absolutely amazing, wonderful photos as always. Why haven’t I been there?!!!! Glad you got home safe, sound and quickly on Tuesday x

• Jessica August 15, 2016 at 10:00 pm - Reply

You should go Gill, it’s stunning. Yes, the route past Marwood was much quicker!

40. Linda Brazill August 15, 2016 at 1:57 pm - Reply

He is just an amazing plantsman. Everything he does is magical. Part of it is the scale of his plantings and that mown grass is the perfect foil for all that color and movement. And I love the scale of the outdoor sculptures; big enough to compete with that landscape. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.

• Jessica August 15, 2016 at 10:13 pm - Reply

Thanks Linda. It looks so easy to achieve yet having tried I know it isn’t. There were no stakes or support that I could see. Here everything would fall flat at the first puff of wind.

41. Peter/Outlaw August 15, 2016 at 6:34 pm - Reply

Late night oil, dusty maps, directions on envelopes. I bet this sounds like something from the dark ages to today’s youth who’ve never known a world without GPS and smart phones. I finally got rid of my book of maps of the county in which I live since there seems to be sufficient connectivity now. Your description of your husband’s route is hilarious! Lovely meadow gardens that Oudolf creates. These always remind me of the prairie lands in the middle of the U.S. which my family traveled through when I was young. (Ah, the nineteenth century was such a swell time. How I miss Queen Victoria.)

• Jessica August 15, 2016 at 10:55 pm - Reply

I often wonder how we ever managed to survive without the internet. And yet we did. Living out in the sticks we now depend on it so much, when it works that is. What would Queen Victoria have made of it all.

42. Sol August 15, 2016 at 11:08 pm - Reply

What an amazing place. Your pictures are wonderful/

• Jessica August 16, 2016 at 12:00 am - Reply

Thanks Sol 🙂

43. sustainablemum August 16, 2016 at 10:45 am - Reply

I knew where it was from that first photo, an unmistakable view, especially as I lived in Bruton for 2.5 years. What a beautiful place how I would loved to have visited when I lived there, sadly it was not in existence then 🙁

• Jessica August 16, 2016 at 9:55 pm - Reply

I thought Bruton was a lovely place, lucky you! I’d really love to go back and see the changes in the garden over the seasons. Just a shame it’s such a long drive.

44. Pauline August 23, 2016 at 7:06 am - Reply

I see Mandarin ducks too! We paid a visit last Friday when we were going along the A303 to visit our son in London. Fabulous planting!

• Jessica August 23, 2016 at 9:33 pm - Reply

I’m glad you got to see it at its best. I have been thinking about how I could possibly use some of the combinations ever since.

45. Kevan October 13, 2016 at 5:17 pm - Reply

Wow. Your photos are fantastic. For those who are interested the garden was featured in Gardens Illustrated recently with a list of his 24 key plants. Details are available here: http://www.gardensillustrated.com/gallery/24-key-plants-oudolf-field

• Jessica October 13, 2016 at 10:27 pm - Reply

Hi Kevan and welcome.
      That is such a useful list, thank you so much for the link. I am trying to create something similar here, but smaller (!) and the Oudolf Field was an absolute inspiration. I hope to return at different times of the year to see how it develops.