Bloomin’ April

Tulip 003 Wm

If this post had a subtitle it might be ‘Poised’. It’s the stage I feel the garden is at as we move properly into Spring. Recent days have been cool and growth has slowed. There is so much waiting in the wings and all it would need is a couple of extra degrees on the mercury. But at least it has been dry. Great news for the gardener and much progress has been made. But oh, my aching back.

Camassia leichtlinii 002 Wm

Camassia leichtlinii.

Soon. Very soon.

Pulmonaria 009 Wm

Pulmonaria

The most dramatic feature is still the river of blue and pink flowing down the Precipitous Bank. I’ve been working here over the last couple of days, to the constant soundtrack of birdsong and bees. When this drift established itself there were trees here. Large ones, as you can see from the stump bottom right. The plants were in deep shade. The trees came down and then last year I robbed them of even the partial shade offered by way of the huge conifer growing next to the house. Over summer they struggled. Cutting them back seems to have done the trick. They may have been later to bloom but they’ve been even more floriferous this year.

Primula vulgaris 015 Wm

Primula vulgaris

Nature isn’t doing such a bad job herself: native wild primroses growing in the Devon bank at the top of the drive.

Primula 002 Wm

In the garden they are widespread too, nestling cheek by jowl with the modern hybrids that have been introduced at some point.

Erysimum 'Winter Passion' 001 Wm

Erysimum ‘Winter Passion’

I first saw this plant in Annette’s Aberdeen Garden last month and have been looking out for it ever since. It’s a perennial wallflower, like the old favourite ‘Bowles’ Mauve’. Success came a few days ago. A rather eventful shopping trip as it turned out because we almost got struck down by lightning.  There I was with a Euphorbia in each hand, trying to decide as you do, when there was an enormous flash. I heard Mike yelp behind me. He had been facing in the opposite direction to me and had seen the lightning bolt pass directly in front of his nose. Fortunately both Euphorbia came out unscathed. As did the Erysimum. Even more importantly an Itoh peony that I’ve been wanting for ages and had put in the trolley ‘just to think about’, well it wasn’t cheap, also escaped. Mike was OK too. We did have to wait an age to pay. The lightning put the power out and all the tills went down.

Epimedium x versicolour 'Sulphurium' 004 Wm

Epimedium x versicolour ‘Sulphurium’

Viola 'Molly Sanderson' 001 Wm

Viola ‘Molly Sanderson’

I do love a bit of black. The only trouble with black flowers is that they tend to disappear when planted out in the garden. I’ve put these in front of Cerastium tomentosum (Snow in Summer). They already look the business alongside the silver foliage, hopefully the effect will be even stronger when the white flowers emerge.

Azalea 006 Wm

Azalea (inherited, unknown)

Anemone 002 Wm

Anemone ‘Lost Label’

This one is a bit of a mystery too. It’s come with me through two house moves and I’ve long since lost track of the name. Which is shame because she really is a beauty. In previous years Mr P has had the flowers off before they’ve even had time to open. This year he seems to be taking a different route through the garden and long may it continue.

I’ll leave you with the last of the camellias..

Camellia japonica 'Adeyaka' 002 Wm

Camellia japonica ‘Adeyaka’

Worth the wait.

Linking to Carol and Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens, where you will find a feast of April bloomers from around the world.

Bloomin' April

pin it?

2017-02-15T19:21:22+00:00 April 15th, 2016|Tags: |108 Comments

1. annamadeit April 15, 2016 at 7:46 am - Reply

Love the Camassias in front of that red Phormium… And, the little Wood anemones are adorable! Happy spring to you, Jessica!

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 7:41 pm - Reply

You too Anna. Best time of year!

2. Amy April 15, 2016 at 7:50 am - Reply

I love your idea of combining ‘Molly Sanderson’ with Cerastium! Lovely anemone too… And the Erysimum, while not quite worth getting struck by lightning, looks well worth holding on to despite a thunderstorm… 😉

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 7:45 pm - Reply

Strangely there was very little rain, hardly worth putting a brolley up for and perhaps just as well! The thunder and lightning though, really quite dramatic!

• Diana Studer April 15, 2016 at 11:19 pm - Reply

taking extreme gardening, very seriously!

• Jessica April 17, 2016 at 5:44 pm - Reply

It seems to get more extreme by the day. Thunderbolts though I can do without.

3. Vera April 15, 2016 at 8:03 am - Reply

Your garden is coming on a treat, and you must be very proud of yourself. We have started working on our front garden, but it is mostly put to shrubs at the moment because the hens and geese still have access to it, but not for much longer!

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 7:49 pm - Reply

I can’t wait to see your new garden Vera, I hope there will be pics soon!

4. derrickjknight April 15, 2016 at 8:05 am - Reply

Another beautiful post. I hope your back holds up

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 8:00 pm - Reply

I fear I am getting too old for a Precipitous Bank!

5. Chloris April 15, 2016 at 8:15 am - Reply

Lovely spring flowers, my favourites; a bank of wild primroses is the most beautiful sight. And those pulmonarias are amazing. I will look out for that gorgeous Erysimum. Your blue wood anemone looks like Anemone nemorosa ‘ Robinsoniana’.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 8:04 pm - Reply

I’ve looked it up and it does appear very similar. The blue seems to have deepened from last year, maybe because, ex conifer, it now has more sun. Thanks for the ID Chloris.

6. kate@barnhouse April 15, 2016 at 8:15 am - Reply

Gorgeous images. One of the loveliest black and white borders I’ve seen is Derry’s at Special Plants, you’re so right black is a hard one to pull off. What a good way to make snow in summer earn its keep! I’m off to see if I can find that wall flower now ….

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 8:07 pm - Reply

I’d have more black if I could find it, there is something wonderful about that colour especially if it comes paired with a velvety texture. Sumptuous.

7. Jo April 15, 2016 at 8:25 am - Reply

Absolutely delightful, always a pleasure to visit your bloom posts xx

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Thanks Jo. It was a struggle to find them this month. Having started off way too early Spring now seems to have ground to a halt. The camassias are out now though and the trees are showing some leaf. If we can get past this cold weekend perhaps things will start moving again.

8. Sam April 15, 2016 at 8:27 am - Reply

A treasure trove of delights here, Jessica. The epimedium and anemone are particularly lovely and your river of pulmonaria is looking fab. And it’s great to learn of red perennial wallflower. Gosh, glad that lightening bolt just put the power out and didn’t hit anyone. Have a good weekend.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 8:14 pm - Reply

I do love epimedium. Unfortunately this one is directly in the path of the next lot of building work. I hope it won’t mind being moved..

9. homeslip April 15, 2016 at 8:40 am - Reply

Devon in Spring is a bank of wild primroses and yours are especially lovely. I’m still waiting for a white anemone nemerosa to flower … Is the wallflower scented I wonder or does it smell of cabbages like the mauve version? I’m growing (and cutting) the biennial E. ‘Blood Red’ sowed direct last year and its spicy scent on a sunny day is wonderful.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 8:19 pm - Reply

I haven’t detected any scent. I do know what you mean about Bowles’ Mauve. It may have bloomed all winter without stopping but, apart from the smell, I don’t like its leggy habit. I’ve just given it a crew cut and am wondering whether it will resprout from the old wood or if I should just bite the bullet and hoick it out.

10. ginaferrari April 15, 2016 at 9:01 am - Reply

My garden is beckoning but having fractured my ankle I can do little more than watch it get out of control over the next few weeks. So frustrating. Yours looks beautiful as always.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 8:25 pm - Reply

It’s not the best time of year for an injury, if there ever is one! What I thought was just a tired back has turned out to be something a bit more significant, enough to cause a sleepless night and an uncomfortable day. We just never know when these things are going to happen. Take care Gina.

11. jannaschreier April 15, 2016 at 9:55 am - Reply

It’s funny how my planting preferences are changing so rapidly. I look at the delicate yellow of the native primroses and the Epimedium and think it is absolutely divine. To be fair, I also think the wallflower is lovely, so I haven’t done a complete shift from bright to soft, but I can feel my brain becoming more English almost by the hour! And isn’t ‘poised’ a wonderful, wonderful time of the year?

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 8:30 pm - Reply

There is so much promise around the garden at the moment, as long as it does come to something eventually. It’s going to be cold here this weekend, just as everything has started to come into leaf. I do hope we don’t have a late frost out here in the sticks!

12. pollymacleod April 15, 2016 at 10:35 am - Reply

Bloomin marvellous -) I was in my garden yesterday afternoon, the weather was glorious so I kept doing “just a bit more” until hunger forced me in to make tea. Later in the evening I could barely move, I ached all over! I’m fine today though.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:20 pm - Reply

It’s hard to resist being outside when the weather is good. My problem is overstretching and I should have learned my lesson by now having done it before. The trouble is on the bank there are few good footholds and when you find one it’s tempting to get every weed within reach..

13. Marian St.Clair April 15, 2016 at 10:48 am - Reply

Well, there is certainly plenty of passion in the stunning Erysimum. I think you have started a fire storm of your own. Glad there was no real harm from the lightening bolt. Amazingly, I still have a few camellias too, so 5+ months of bloom counting November to April.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:23 pm - Reply

I have one camellia that’s been in flower continuously since mid December. I’d like to find one or two of the Autumn blooming varieties, extend the reach even more.

14. Julie April 15, 2016 at 11:18 am - Reply

Poised is just the word Jessica, more cold nights due on the forecast. I love your bank of Pulmonaria, I haven’t seen it grown so beautifully before, really lovely.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:27 pm - Reply

I’m glad the Pulmonaria seems to be surviving in full sun, as it now is. For how long remains to be seen but it is a lovely feature while it lasts. The lower summer temperatures and higher rainfall no doubt help.

15. VP April 15, 2016 at 12:43 pm - Reply

Epimediums are on my ‘must buy’ list for this year. It’s nice to have a camellia reminder after feasting on the sight of them in Cornwall last week. I’ve tried to grow them here, but can’t bear to see them in pots after seeing them grow where they’re much happier.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:31 pm - Reply

This particular camellia needs a move. It’s been temporarily planted in the veg garden for the last few months awaiting its permanent home. When it gets closer to the woodland it’ll be happier I hope. Its leaves are going a bit pale.

16. Lea April 15, 2016 at 12:45 pm - Reply

Beautiful blooms! Love the Primroses
    Happy Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day!
    Lea

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:33 pm - Reply

Thanks Lea. Primroses are almost the ‘national’ flower of Devon.

17. Becky April 15, 2016 at 12:54 pm - Reply

Another fantastic blog post!!

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:39 pm - Reply

Thanks Becky. It’s such an exciting time of year.

18. Linda aka Crafty Gardener April 15, 2016 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Such gorgeous blooms, makes me wish harder that the nicer weather will arrive and stay here. So glad all those plants escaped the lightening along with Mike.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:43 pm - Reply

Weather wise it’s all stops and starts at the moment. Another cold weekend ahead. The plants are getting very confused. It’s odd to have thunderstorms at this time of year too.

19. pbmgarden April 15, 2016 at 1:19 pm - Reply

Your Pulmonaria is a dream. Glad you survived the most exciting garden center visit ever.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:46 pm - Reply

I succumbed to the Itoh so you are quite possibly right 🙂

20. Kristin April 15, 2016 at 1:34 pm - Reply

Everything is gorgeous. I am especially envious of your primroses, as we are too hot and dry for them to do well. I need to remember to show my husband tonight, as they are a favorite of his. Love your gardens!

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:49 pm - Reply

Thanks Kristin. The primroses do look lovely in Spring and this must be one of their best years. I was worried that they would fizzle out early, it’s been such a mild winter that they’ve been flowering on and off since last Autumn.

21. Rosie April 15, 2016 at 1:40 pm - Reply

Lovely. The banks of Pulmonaria and Primula look wonderful:)

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:50 pm - Reply

Thanks Rosie. It’s such a pleasure to be outside at the moment isn’t it?

22. pagedogs April 15, 2016 at 2:06 pm - Reply

We are finally warming up here and some early flowers are starting to emerge. So, I’m eye-feasting on your colorful spring bounty. I wish I could smell them too. Lovely photos.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:55 pm - Reply

I’m glad it’s warming up in Maine as well. It’s been an odd Spring, long time coming. It’s the buzz of the bees that’s giving me the most pleasure at the moment. The Pulmonaria is alive!

23. Pauline April 15, 2016 at 2:08 pm - Reply

So glad you and Mike survived the lightning strike, as well as the plants of course! Your drift of pulmonarias is stunning, I’ll bet they keep the bees very happy!

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 9:59 pm - Reply

The lightning was quite dramatic and came out of nowhere. No warnings and not forecast. Not that I take a lot of notice of the forecast.. Thanks Pauline.

24. Christina April 15, 2016 at 2:25 pm - Reply

Your wonderful drift of Pulmonaria almost took my breath away; beautiful! You made me smile with “Anemone ‘Lost Label’” I have a lot of plants that should be labelled thus!

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 10:03 pm - Reply

I also have a lot of plants that are labelled thus! I can’t claim any credit for the Pulmonaria, I’m just chuffed it’s there. Maybe it all came from a single specimen planted on the edge of the wood many years ago.

25. Dorothy Borders April 15, 2016 at 4:21 pm - Reply

Bloomin’ April is beautiful in your garden. Thanks for the tour.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 10:04 pm - Reply

Thanks Dorothy. It’s exciting to see all the work from last year starting to bear fruit. That’s what I love about gardening.

26. frayed at the edge April 15, 2016 at 4:53 pm - Reply

It is all looking wonderful – a testament to your very hard work. And I love how you were more concerned for the plants in your trolley than your husband after the lightning!
    Have a great weekend!

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 10:07 pm - Reply

As you will no doubt have sussed, it was all very tongue in cheek. Besides, he had the credit card.. 🙂

27. Denise April 15, 2016 at 5:45 pm - Reply

Almost struck by lightning?! Good grief, woman…you don’t do shopping trips by halves, do you? Love the pulmonaria – one of my favourites as it reminds me of my Gran’s garden. There were primroses out at school today; I made a mental note to start getting some established in our new garden as soon as possible. And snowdrops…and daffs…and ooooh, lots of other exciting stuff, much inspired by your own lovely garden!

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 10:10 pm - Reply

Please don’t pay garden centre prices for primroses. I am chucking them away. I’ll happily chuck some in your direction.

28. Alana Mautone (@RamblinGarden) April 15, 2016 at 6:37 pm - Reply

I just saw wild primroses (maybe different, maybe not) in bloom in northern Virginia two days ago and decided I like them more than some of the modern hybrids. As usual, enjoyed your photography. Happy GBBD.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 10:12 pm - Reply

It’s often the way isn’t it? I much prefer species daffodils and tulips too. Some of the modern hybrids have gone too far.

29. Island Threads April 15, 2016 at 6:55 pm - Reply

I love the river of pulmonaria, how wonderful to inherit such established swaths of plants, the native primrose look beautiful too, lovely little cameos of other blooms, glad you and Mike as well as plants were unharmed by lightening, pretty scary when it’s that close, Frances

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 10:24 pm - Reply

Indeed Frances. And what are we doing with lightening bolts in Spring anyway? Although I suppose if we can have ‘thundersnow’ we can have anything.

30. Beth @ PlantPostings April 15, 2016 at 7:23 pm - Reply

Oh yes, I would have to say my garden was the same way until now. It seems to be full speed ahead into warm spring for our area–so much so that my GBBD post is terribly out of date already. Your garden, however, is ahead of mine–and this seems to be the time of year when the Midwest U.S. really catches up fast. Too fast, in some ways. The “perfect” spring days pass way too quickly here. Sigh. Time to savor. Your garden is full of beauty!

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 10:28 pm - Reply

I’d agree, Spring is the best time and it should be long enough to savour. I can’t believe it’s May in two weeks. My favourite month. And that’ll be gone in a flash as well.

31. Angie April 15, 2016 at 7:48 pm - Reply

The garden is tempting you with all those lovely buds Jessica. I love the Pulmonaria – amazing! I had that very same Erysimum in my hands last week but put it back down because I wasn’t sure where to put it. You’ve made me regret that decision now. It’s a stunner isn’t it? Glad to read you, Mike and the plants escaped unscathed from your recent brush with mother nature.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 10:35 pm - Reply

I confess, I still don’t know where to put it. Red is another colour that can be difficult to place. I might have to go back for another so I can balance it out. Possibly I will be going back on my own..

• Island Threads April 16, 2016 at 4:51 pm - Reply

take cuttings Jessica, then you can spend your money and a different plant and also create a flow of red erysimum by this time next year, I was told and have found the perennial wall flower grows well from cuttings, Frances

• Jessica April 17, 2016 at 6:12 pm - Reply

I tried some last year from Bowles’ Mauve but sadly none of them took. I shall have to do more research and try and find out what I did wrong.

• Island Threads April 18, 2016 at 12:49 pm

I took some from Bowles’ mauve last year, I took them late last summer, August/September, cut fresh non flowering shoots, put one in each corner of a black plastic square pot filled with cutting/seed compost, watered from below by standing on a shallow tray of water overnight, then put them on a sunny windowsill, kept them watered, by February this year there were roots coming out the bottom, so I tipped them out and divided them putting each in it’s own pot, they are in the cool/cold side porch waiting to be planted out but we have been having such cold winds lately, I hope this helps and I hope I didn’t just have beginners luck as I want to take some more this year, Frances

• Jessica April 18, 2016 at 3:00 pm

I’m sure it wasn’t beginners luck at all Frances. I used my new cuttings propagator but clearly it doesn’t work for everything (there were many other successes including camellias which I’ve never been able to root before and which I gather are generally tricky). This year I’ll use your method for erysimum! Thanks.

32. Virginia April 15, 2016 at 8:41 pm - Reply

Jolly, that was a close call! Lightning scares me, so I’m glad you survived it. Was Mike holding a trolley or just pots? A trolley would have been an effective conductor! Don’t want to think about that! I’d be heading to the cafe to recover! Do gardening centres in the UK have good coffee shops attached? They often do over here. I hope your back recovers quickly… I recommend Ibuprofen by the handful!

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 10:53 pm - Reply

There are often good coffee shops. The bigger garden centres have become more ‘lifestyle’ centres and sell everything from furniture to Christmas decorations. But it is still the smaller nurseries, with none of the trappings, that are better for plants. I’m getting more into online purchasing too this year, particularly living where we do with a lack of nurseries close by.
      Ibuprofen is on standby. Mike has found me some wonderful cream that killed the pain within ten minutes and it’s lasted for hours. Hopefully a better night’s sleep tonight. I shall be back out there again tomorrow with a spot of luck.

33. Ann @Ann Edwards Photography April 15, 2016 at 9:30 pm - Reply

lovely images. Your Camassia is further on than mine and the Pulmonarias are just super.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 10:59 pm - Reply

Thanks Ann. The camassia is properly out today. I hope it hasn’t peaked too early.. Just ahead of this weekend’s predicted chill 🙁

34. Freda April 15, 2016 at 9:44 pm - Reply

Your everything is further on than mine! Snow forecast for tonight….I am enjoying your flowers while waiting for mine Jessica – thank you.

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 11:02 pm - Reply

What is it with this weather. It’s Spring! I want to be outside in short sleeves, not still bundled up in fleeces. Take care Freda.

35. Helene April 15, 2016 at 10:44 pm - Reply

Hi Jessica, lovely to see your drift of pulmonaria, everything is on a rather bigger scale than in my own garden – that row of Primula vulgaris is to die for! And I have now put Erysimum ‘Winter Passion’ on my (very long) wish-list, absolutely beautiful. Glad to hear your plants didn’t get damaged in the lightning and thunder, absolutely vital to get your priorities right 🙂

• Jessica April 15, 2016 at 11:11 pm - Reply

I just hope the primula manage to avoid the farmer’s flail trimmer. But it looks like the hedge has been cut recently so they should be OK for a while. The Erysimum is probably an even deeper red in reality, the camera didn’t catch the colour quite right. It is a beauty.

36. Kris P April 16, 2016 at 2:57 am - Reply

Oh, to have primrose spread with abandon like that! As to the tale of the Erysimum and the euphorbia, your shopping trip tops the charts for drama. That Erysimum is indeed spectacular, albeit perhaps not worth risking life and limb!

• Jessica April 17, 2016 at 5:50 pm - Reply

I shall be looking skywards next time I contemplate the purchase of either!

37. germac4 April 16, 2016 at 4:07 am - Reply

Your garden is looking lovely, and I look forward to your summer displays. I knew all that rain would be worth it in the end! I love the Erysimum and do like the idea of putting some black flowers amongst white…..will store that idea for spring.

• Jessica April 17, 2016 at 5:52 pm - Reply

I’m tempted to extend the black and white theme a bit further. It does look rather dramatic!

38. Linnae April 16, 2016 at 7:12 am - Reply

Boy, that was an exciting shopping trip! I feel like my garden was at the same stage last week–so many things almost blooming, but not quite there yet. We had a weekend of higher temperatures (in the 60’s F) and now I have so many lovely flowers to look at! I’m just starting to grow primroses. A friend gave me one last year, which despite my low expectations, actually survived! So I bought another this spring. So far so good! 🙂

• Jessica April 17, 2016 at 6:04 pm - Reply

Primroses are everywhere here. They even grow up through the lawn in spite of Mike’s continual mowing. If they weren’t so pretty I’d be tempted to class them as weeds!

39. Sue Garrett April 16, 2016 at 9:09 am - Reply

I love epimediums but just can’t get them to grow. You could end up with your own hybrid primroses.

• Jessica April 17, 2016 at 6:06 pm - Reply

I think we already have some, quite dull in colour which I can’t imagine selling very well if produced commercially.

40. wherefivevalleysmeet April 16, 2016 at 9:43 am - Reply

What a wonderful colour Erysimum ‘Winter Passion’ is – despite rain, chilly weather, and occasionally even sunshine, nature keeps on showing us that she will not be defeated.

• Jessica April 17, 2016 at 6:09 pm - Reply

I suppose April always has been known for unpredictable weather, it’s certainly been that this year.

41. Wendy April 16, 2016 at 9:00 pm - Reply

You have so many beautiful flowers in your garden. It’s lovely to see all the primroses on the bank, too. Good grief – what a shopping trip. The lightening must have been a real shock. Glad you were all OK and you still left with some new plants.

• Jessica April 17, 2016 at 6:14 pm - Reply

I’ve just ordered the next lot of plants for the bank. Online. Safer!

42. Cathy April 17, 2016 at 8:31 am - Reply

I suspect the lightning was aiming for that expensive peony Jessica… Glad all survived intact – not the sort of experience we would choose to have ???? The pulmonarias look especially gorgeous en masse like that and I hope it doesn’t turn out to be to dry for them. I agree with Chloris on the anemone

• Jessica April 17, 2016 at 6:19 pm - Reply

If we get a normal Devon summer the pulmonarias should be well provided for. There’s another huge drift of them elsewhere in the woodland, in much wetter ground, so I can hopefully replenish if necessary. They spread like mad.

43. Chel at Sweetbriar Dreams April 17, 2016 at 10:37 am - Reply

Yes poised is a good word. I always tend to think of spring being the waiting firework ready to show off its display. The flowers you have are all so rich in colour, a joy to see. Have a good Sunday. x

• Jessica April 17, 2016 at 6:22 pm - Reply

Hopefully the sunny weekend that we’ve had down here will do it.. It will be lovely to see the borders looking lush and full of colour once again.

44. Simone April 17, 2016 at 4:54 pm - Reply

I am envious of all those wild primroses! I only have one plant in the garden and the snails have eaten the flowers! I will swap you my snails for your squirrels 🙂

• Jessica April 17, 2016 at 6:25 pm - Reply

There are plenty of snails already! The primroses only manage to stay one step ahead by their sheer volume.

45. Anna April 17, 2016 at 9:33 pm - Reply

“Poised” is indeed the perfect word Jessica for this time of year. The drift of pulmonarias is inspired – the bees must love it too. Glad to read that the lightening didn’t prevent new plant purchases.

• Jessica April 18, 2016 at 8:34 am - Reply

It would take a lot to prevent new plant purchases 🙂

46. Sarah April 18, 2016 at 6:50 pm - Reply

Have you done anything different with your images they look even more stunning this time? Your Pulmonaria drift looks stunning as does the primroses in the bank. That Erysimum ‘Winter Passion’ is a wonderful colour. I do enjoy the months of colour that ‘Bowles’ Mauve’ gives me, it is quite high maintenance continually take off the old flower stakes. We have just replaced our old plant as like yours it had become very woody. It must have been very frightening nearly being struck by lightening, thank goodness that you were both ok and also the plants. Sarah x

• Jessica April 18, 2016 at 9:00 pm - Reply

Thanks Sarah. No, no changes to the images. I think I will end up replacing Bowles’ Mauve too. I tried so hard to keep the old flower stems clipped down low in an effort to prevent the legginess but sadly it didn’t work!

47. Brian Skeys April 19, 2016 at 5:49 am - Reply

Your Pulmonaria is putting on a splendid show. If the anemone is a lilac colour could it be ‘Robinsonia’? Bred at Gravetye Manor. Oh pleased that Mike is ok!

• Jessica April 19, 2016 at 12:07 pm - Reply

I think you’re right about the anemone Brian. I seem to remember buying it at Wisley so it is undoubtedly something with a bit of a pedigree!

48. snowbird April 19, 2016 at 8:16 pm - Reply

What a lovely selection. My favourites are those sweet little wood anemones.xxx

• Jessica April 21, 2016 at 8:20 am - Reply

Mine too. Especially as they have escaped being eaten this year 🙂

49. Linda April 19, 2016 at 11:51 pm - Reply

So fresh and beautiful. It’s the best time of year!

• Jessica April 21, 2016 at 8:21 am - Reply

It certainly is.

50. bittster April 23, 2016 at 2:13 pm - Reply

Your blooms are all beautiful but the sweep of pulmonaria and the drifts of primrose steal the show. Spring is awesome!

• Jessica April 23, 2016 at 8:59 pm - Reply

It certainly is.

51. Donna@Gardens Eye View May 6, 2016 at 10:42 pm - Reply

Just catching up….my goodness I love the large swathes of primula and Pulmonaria. And I too am looking forward to Camassia leichtlinii blooming.

• Jessica May 8, 2016 at 8:54 pm - Reply

I love Camassia, just a shame the blooming we look forward to is so brief.