Bring Me Sunshine

Acer 009 Wm[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=

The acer above was inherited with the garden so I’ve no idea which variety it is. But this year it’s been a revelation.

Photo taken on Monday. Two days before that it was perhaps even more striking, with green still prominent in the mix..

Acer 008 Wm[2]

It’s all a little bit strange though because last year, and indeed for each of the previous years that we’ve lived here, the tree has looked like this…

Acer 012 Wm[1]

Golden yellow leaves, pretty enough in themselves but rapidly turning brown and dropping off.  Ne’er the slightest bit of red to be seen. The change seems to be entirely due to sunshine.. the acer is the one tree left standing at the bottom of the lawn now the two large beech trees are gone.

It has seen the light. And become truly spectacular.

It’s been a funny old couple of weeks. There’s been precious little time for blogging, either at my place or yours. Last week was full on and as a result I have plenty of progress to report, if I can get off the hamster wheel long enough to sit down and write. Just as life was starting to return to a more even keel there were problems with the blog, mostly due to my habit of sticking fingers into things I know nothing about and partly thanks to an upgrade that didn’t go quite as smoothly as it could. And then, as I thought I’d got it all back under control, disaster struck.

Picture the scene if you will. It’s late at night, the blogger is tired and may have had a couple of glasses of wine. She thought she’d do just one more (oh so little) thing before calling it a day.. a headline that should have been in bold.. only to hit the wrong button and send the whole theme back to default. Yes, there was one of those little pop up boxes which said “Are you sure?” And did I pay heed to it? No. Everything went. Layout, logos, colour schemes, the lot. Sidebars and title bars appeared where they’d never been seen before. It was the wee small hours before I eventually got to bed.

Hamamelis x intermedia 'Robert' 005 Wm[1]

Hamamelis x intermedia ‘Robert’

Now the weather’s going decidedly downhill too. So let’s bring on every last bit of sunshine we can get.

Luckily there’s still plenty of it to be found in leaves.

Hydrangea petiolaris 002 Wm[1]

Butter yellow from Hydrangea petiolaris

See my friendly little shield bug?

Davidia involucrata 004 Wm[1]

Davidia involucrata

The handkerchief tree may have been testing my patience, over the last ten years, with a notable failing in the bract department but it is trying to make up for it with elegantly fading autumn leaves.

Ceratostigma plumbaginoides 002 Wm[1]

Ceratostigma plumbaginoides

It’s been flowering for weeks now but to add to the beauty its leaves are gradually turning from green to deep maroon.

Are grasses counted as foliage? They can be said to bear inflorescence(s?) but I do still tend to put them in the same bracket as leaves when it comes to providing texture in the border. I’ve made a couple of new purchases over the last few weeks.

Melica altissima atropurpurea 001 Wm[1]

Melica altissima atropurpurea. Love the seed heads on this one.

Panicum virgatum 'Squaw' 001 Wm[1] 1

Panicum virgatum ‘Squaw’, looking fabulous after yesterday’s rain.

If a challenge to photograph. The slightest whiff of a breeze sets it in motion.

Sempervivum 'Terracotta Baby' 002 Wm[1]

Sempervivum ‘Terracotta Baby’

My experiment with growing sempervivums in wall cracks has been a reasonable success. Two out of three have survived. It remains to be seen what will happen this winter but I’m hoping this little beauty has got itself well stuck in there now. Happy enough to produce babies at any rate. Perhaps I should pot some of them up as insurance?

Hydrangea 021 Wm[1]

Hydrangea, variety unknown

Cotoneaster 001 Wm[1]

Returning to the red end of the spectrum, Cotoneaster is on fire this week.

Cornus kousa 'Wieting's Select' 009 Wm[2]

Cornus kousa ‘Wieting’s Select’

The cornus trees are at the peak of their autumn best.

Cornus kousa 'Satomi' 015 Wm[2]

Cornus kousa ‘Satomi’

Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' 012 Wm[1]

Acer palmatum ‘Osakazuki’

And the most flamboyant japanese maple of them all has started her countdown.. the merest hint of what is yet to come.

I’ll leave you with a final shot of that colour changing acer, glimpsed through the trees at the woodland edge, revelling in its new found light..

Acer 010 Wm[2]

The natives, as you see, are not quite ready for turning. Maybe next month?

Linking up with Christina at My Garden of the Hesperides (here) for Garden Bloggers’ Foliage Day.

[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]

2017-02-16T20:04:36+00:00 October 22nd, 2015|Tags: |100 Comments

1. Mark and Gaz October 22, 2015 at 1:12 pm - Reply

Nothing like beautiful plants to bring cheer even in periods of stress. Take it easy 🙂

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 7:05 pm - Reply

Indeed. Although I seem to have spent a lot of time keeping them out of the way of falling trees!

2. Christina October 22, 2015 at 1:18 pm - Reply

All that wonderful colour is just like sunshine, what a good title. Thanks for joining in again this month Jessica, your colour is more exciting than that around here but even so I am enjoying seeing the wonderful colours, especially on the few days when there has been sun shining on them. I think you are right that the different colour on the Acer is due to the different light levels and possibly it now gets colder at night due to it not having the protection of the other trees; it can make a huge difference.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 7:09 pm - Reply

I hadn’t thought of the temperature connection. Certainly the tree is more exposed now. But previously its growth was being hampered by the proximity of the beeches so hopefully it appreciates the new arrangement even if it is a bit chillier!

3. BethB from Indiana October 22, 2015 at 1:29 pm - Reply

Beautiful pictures.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Thank you Beth and welcome!

4. Sam October 22, 2015 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Wowser. Gobsmackingly gorgeous colours in that acer – your second photo is beautiful. It’s obviously relishing the light. Your autumn leaves are luscious (is that a weird adjective to use?!). I try to avoid touching my laptop after a couple of glasses of wine. Not only could chaos ensue, I might actually type what I’m actually thinking on Facebook. Dangerous. Glad you sorted your glitches; all looks great from here.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 7:28 pm - Reply

Thanks Sam. It’s rather fun watching those wine fuelled conversations on Facebook and Twitter, but maybe not as a participant. Good advice!

5. AnnetteM October 22, 2015 at 1:39 pm - Reply

I really enjoyed this post. Your acer colours are fantastic. I guess it must be due to the light levels, though I have noticed more vibrant colours round here this year and was putting it down to all the rain we had. Of course it could equally be due to the Indian Summer we are having.
    I love your grasses – I am experimenting more with them too, but I have to be careful with hardiness. Nice to see your Ceratostigma plumbaginoides. Mine was a present from a friend last summer. It doesn’t look as if it is going to flower, but maybe I will get lovely leaf colour instead. I had covered it up, along with other plants, as we have started to get some lower temperatures, but maybe I will take its cover off during the day.
    Enjoy the rest of your Autumn.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 7:36 pm - Reply

The ceratostigma looks poised to really spread next year, which is fine where I’ve put it. I need the ground cover. A few pieces broke off when I planted it and they went straight into the cuttings propagator. I’ve already got three new baby plants. Try it if you want more, they root really easily.

6. Marian St.Clair October 22, 2015 at 1:56 pm - Reply

Autumn color is determined by the predominate chemical in the leaf as green begins to fade and is typically the same (as you know) from year to year. If I was home I could tell you more, as I find it all so interesting that I have made a note of it, but alas, I’m on the road again. Probably easy to find on the internet, though. In any case, your foliage colors are well worth sharing. Ours seem to be very dull this year, probably because of the dry summer.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 7:44 pm - Reply

I found this on the initial search:
      The bright reds and purples we see in leaves are made mostly in the fall. In some trees, like maples, glucose is trapped in the leaves after photosynthesis stops. Sunlight and the cool nights of autumn cause the leaves turn this glucose into a red color. From sciencemadesimple.com
      So it sounds like it is a combination of more sunlight reaching the leaves and possibly lower temperatures now that the tree is more exposed. Whatever it is, the end result is lovely!

7. CT October 22, 2015 at 2:16 pm - Reply

Glorious. It’s suddenly lit up here too this week :o)

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 7:55 pm - Reply

Yep. I can deny it no longer. Autumn I am quite coming to like, it’s winter that’s the problem.

8. croftgarden October 22, 2015 at 2:44 pm - Reply

Lovely to see the acers, what a stunning array of colours. On a virtually treeless island the nearest we get to an acer is a very scrubby sycamore in some of the older gardens; so a virtual tour is always a treat.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 7:58 pm - Reply

They are beautiful, but oh so fleeting. The rain has brought down a lot of the acer leaves already. So far though there’s been very little wind. When that gets going it’ll all be gone.

9. kate@barnhouse October 22, 2015 at 3:05 pm - Reply

Stunning acer, just like a beacon in a woodland glade. Just the title you chose had me smiling …. It’s certainly been a glorious autumn for colourful foliage – grasses included (;. Even the Miscanthus hedge is glowing orange and gold, I hope it’s not ill!

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 8:04 pm - Reply

Eeek. I hope it’s not ill. It must look spectacular. I’ve noticed so much more colour this year, in perennials too. Some of the geums are sporting red leaves.

10. annamadeit October 22, 2015 at 3:14 pm - Reply

Gorgeous shots. I’ve seen similar odd results with some plants in my garden this year. Must be the intense heat… As for the blog mishap, I have never lost any formatting changes, but I remember forgetting to save an entire – pretty well researched – blog post. AAAARGGGHHHHH!!! I completely sympathize with that feeling of panic. Took me forever to re-write it. 🙁

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 8:08 pm - Reply

Sadly it wasn’t intense heat here, more like intense rain 🙁 Or maybe the whole planet is doing weird things.
      It’s so frustrating when these technology related failures happen. After each one I say I’ll save and back up more regularly. And do I?

11. SeagullSuzie October 22, 2015 at 3:16 pm - Reply

Beautiful colours in your garden, acers are magic for colour at this time of year-I think it might also be due to the wetter summer we’ve had. The soil here is acid, so I can have acers at last and amelanchiers (I have two in pots waiting for suitable spots). Sorry to hear of your IT disaster, at least you got it all back. I’m not a huge fan of the workings of WordPress, (as I use it for our works blog) but it does have stunning themes and your images look fantastic. I was thinking that if I ever start a new blog I might use WordPress.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 8:56 pm - Reply

I don’t hear as many grumbles from WP users as Blogger, but I do sometimes wonder why it works in the way it does. But then I am making it up as I go along so I suppose I can expect the odd hiccup. And not because of the wine!
      Was thrilled to find I had acid soil here, amelanchier is on the list.

12. sustainablemum October 22, 2015 at 3:53 pm - Reply

Wonderful colours, making all that hard work so worthwhile. Our leaves are turning hear but the wind has arrived too, we often miss the beautiful colours as the wind blows off all the leaves :(. A bit of sunshine and colour is always welcome.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 8:58 pm - Reply

One of the amazing things about this autumn is that it’s been so incredibly still, hardly any wind at all. It can’t last though, can it.

13. Backlane Notebook October 22, 2015 at 3:53 pm - Reply

Gorgeous colourful way to glide into Winter and just before the clocks go back. (well I hope I’m right that it’s this weekend).

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:04 pm - Reply

I think it is. And I’m not looking forward to the prospect at all.

14. Christina October 22, 2015 at 3:59 pm - Reply

Dear Jessica, that acer looks spectacular on your first photo. Now the secret is out: Not only humans need the sun to do well, but trees, too ;-)! I also especially love the bronze color of Acer palmatum ‘Osakazuki’. Panicum virgatum ‘Squaw’ first caught my attention on another blog and again in your garden it stands out as a particular beautiful grass.
    Hope you can figure your blog problems out. I am exactly the opposite of you. My joy of experimenting with the blog is really diminished by now, since when I did it more, it also caused quite a few annoying problems. By now my maxim is, if the blog works don’t touch it!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:10 pm - Reply

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it is a good maxim to live by. Thankfully the help desk were very good and sorted out all of the problems that I couldn’t resolve. It’s good to have the back up. Looking at pictures on the internet it seems that the Panicum will have red tints to the leaves too when it gets a bit bigger. And Acer ‘Osakazuki’ will end up a really vivid red!

15. Denise October 22, 2015 at 4:20 pm - Reply

Autumn glories indeed. Isn’t Nature clever? (Cleverer than stupid computers anyway…)

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:11 pm - Reply

Very clever. In this case it’s the computer operator that is the stupidest one..

16. Julieanne October 22, 2015 at 5:18 pm - Reply

Some wonderful colours and shapes there Jessica. I love how the first photo sets the scene for the beauty to come. The light and textures on the Davidia involucrata is very beautiful. And the pink-red of Cornus kousa ‘Satomi’ – yum. As you said on my blog, it’s a good day to share the autumn colours.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:14 pm - Reply

It is. The mild autumn days have certainly let us enjoy them to the full.

17. Jayne Hill October 22, 2015 at 5:19 pm - Reply

Much sympathy for the bloggy problems – nothing like template/formatting problems to frustratingly eat away the hours. Why does it always happen late at night?

Your acer is quite lovely, all around I think leaf colours seem fabulous this year. And yes, I would definitely pot up some of the Sempervivum babies and ensure they have a dry (or at least well-drained) winter.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:17 pm - Reply

I should, shouldn’t I. In theory the semps should do well in the wall as any rainwater will just run off. But I’m worried about all these reports of a cold winter. There are a lot of vulnerable plants out there. It’s so tempting to push the envelope a bit.

18. Rosemary October 22, 2015 at 6:29 pm - Reply

What a wonderful, colourful treat that Acer has bestowed on you this year – it is so easy to press the wrong buttons especially when tired and the hour late. I nearly had a disaster last night sending out a greetings for a Diamond Wedding Anniversary which duplicated itself to someone else with a similar name where the husband had died at the weekend!!! Thank goodness it went into my email drafts and I spotted it in time.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:23 pm - Reply

This is what worries me about doing things electronically. It’s a godsend in so many ways, but still too easy to do something like that. I’m glad you spotted it.

19. Anne Wheaton October 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm - Reply

So many times at the computer have I muttered “of course I’m sure” followed moments later by “oh bugger”. Hey ho, such is life.
    Isn’t the colour of that acer amazing? Just when you think you know how plants work, you move or chop down something and they surprise you. In my case by dying usually rather than bursting into colour.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:29 pm - Reply

Funnily enough that’s exactly what I said. With volume and emphasis. Mike went to bed and left me to it. He’s learnt over time this is much the better way.
      I fear there are a lot of previously shade loving plants which are now experiencing rapid evolution. We shall see.

20. Annie Cholewa October 22, 2015 at 7:52 pm - Reply

Oh my, that acer is gorgeous!

I do sympathise re. the blog … I’ve managed the same myself in the past.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:35 pm - Reply

It’s too easily done Annie. I’m sure when someone contemplates pushing the nuclear button there is something stronger around it than “Are you sure?”

21. homeslip October 22, 2015 at 8:35 pm - Reply

The acer is beautiful. I miss my mature osakazuki and its fire engine red autumn colour. My seed sown one nearly died in the drought this summer but thankfully it grew new leaves and may be ready to plant out soon.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:37 pm - Reply

This one has seeds too which I’m planning on sowing when they’re ready. It would be great to get some offspring.

22. Linda aka Crafty Gardener October 22, 2015 at 9:05 pm - Reply

The sun sure does bring out the best in people and plants. Your photos are gorgeous. Love your new header slideshow. Glad that things got all sorted out after than one little check box oops.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:39 pm - Reply

Having a simpler slideshow without captions means I can update it more often. It will be nice to include pictures relevant to the season.

23. Laura October 22, 2015 at 9:14 pm - Reply

I can’t quite get over the glorious shot of the “Squaw” grass. I could look at that picture for days.

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:42 pm - Reply

It’s a beautiful grass in itself, full of gentle movement. But with the addition of raindrops, wow!

24. Freda October 22, 2015 at 9:31 pm - Reply

The ‘Squaw’ is my favourite photograph too – but they are all stunning!

• Jessica October 22, 2015 at 9:44 pm - Reply

Thanks Freda. I hope it will spread. It needs to be in a drift. Thankfully I got it from a local nursery so I can go back for more.

25. Amy October 22, 2015 at 10:28 pm - Reply

Magnificent!! The weather here has turned gorgeous so I’m not jealous of autumn colour… no… not at all… not really… But those acers are fantastic, as also the Cornus kousa leaves, and the cotoneaster… Your Sempervivums are darling; I shall have to try some though my record with succulents is quite checkered right now, to say the least. I read your blog problems with a sense of mild panic as I am just bringing our new desktop online and planning to get a little fancy. It’s the fault of Windows 8, but I had better not get off on that!

• Jessica October 23, 2015 at 7:14 pm - Reply

It sounds as if you are more techy than me. I follow my intuition (and hold my breath) and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. A lot like gardening really!

26. jennywoolf October 22, 2015 at 10:43 pm - Reply

I really feel as if I have been able to stroll around your land with you! I specially love the quivery grass, with the raindrops.

• Jessica October 23, 2015 at 7:18 pm - Reply

Hi Jenny and welcome.
      I saw that grass again on another blog today, also covered in raindrops. It seems that’s quite a feature of the plant. Fortunate really, in England!

27. Brian Skeys October 22, 2015 at 10:49 pm - Reply

Alcohol and technology clearly don’t mix!
    The acer is beautiful in its new light (Is there a lesson here for us all to learn), I do like squaw, very elegant.
    The new lens is obviously working well.

• Jessica October 23, 2015 at 7:22 pm - Reply

The new lens is working very well so far and with a bit of extra zoom we can get closer to the subject without so much trampling all over the garden. As it’s unlikely the soil will dry out much now before next Spring, this is a useful feature.

28. Kris P October 22, 2015 at 11:09 pm - Reply

You’ve got glorious fall color! We generally don’t get a lot of that here and this year seems to be the worst yet thus far – even the few trees that usually show some color are dull as dirt. I expect our unusually warm weather is to blame. Anyway, I appreciate the opportunity to see these wonderful warm colors from afar!

• Jessica October 23, 2015 at 7:34 pm - Reply

Having created a little extra headroom this year I want to bring in more (smaller) trees now, including some maples to increase the autumn colour and extend the season. The maples turn first and then a couple of weeks later the natives follow suit.

29. germac4 October 23, 2015 at 8:02 am - Reply

Thanks for the autumn tour of your garden, I really enjoyed it…and I love the autumn leaves…….never tire of seeing them. Hope your computer dramas are over…good to know I’m not the only one who occasionally sends things into a spin.

• Jessica October 23, 2015 at 7:38 pm - Reply

I’ve never managed it quite so comprehensively before, but at least I now know which button NOT to press again! Thanks Gerrie.

30. ginaferrari October 23, 2015 at 9:00 am - Reply

Lovely to have a tour round your garden. That Acer is stunning!

• Jessica October 23, 2015 at 7:39 pm - Reply

Isn’t it just. I still can’t quite believe the difference from last year. But now we have more rain forecast, and wind, so its days are numbered sadly.

31. Pauline October 23, 2015 at 9:41 am - Reply

Your Acer must be really enjoying the extra light and sunshine, it is so beautiful ! Your Ceratostigma is just as beautiful as the one I saw the other day at Kilver Court garden, I decided then that it was definitely going to come to my garden someday soon.
    I admire you for sorting your IT problems, I just tell my son!

• Jessica October 23, 2015 at 7:42 pm - Reply

The flowers are fairly insignificant but the Ceratostigma makes excellent ground cover. It’s on the face of the bank where access is most difficult. Hopefully I can just let it quietly spread out and do its thing and not have to worry about that bit anymore.

32. Sigrun October 23, 2015 at 10:01 am - Reply

Your colourful garden looks beautiful! I also want sun, there is no here.
    Do you know, that the most sempervivum have other names in Germany? I wish you a sunny weekend.

Sigrun

• Jessica October 23, 2015 at 7:49 pm - Reply

Is it any wonder we get so confused over plant names!

33. Sue Garrett October 23, 2015 at 5:23 pm - Reply

That acer is beautiful and I love the grass photo

• Jessica October 23, 2015 at 7:50 pm - Reply

Thanks Sue. I don’t know how much longer the acer will last. The lawn is covered with leaves already, albeit very pretty ones.

34. Angie October 23, 2015 at 6:15 pm - Reply

Impressive autumn colour Jessica. It’s difficult not to be impressed with any of the plants you have featured in this post. I too throw grasses into the foliage column. Glad to read you’ve got your gremlins sorted. A mistake I’ve yet to make. Stay away from the wine and laptop at the same time 🙂

• Jessica October 23, 2015 at 7:52 pm - Reply

It could be worse. I could follow Mike’s lead and tip the alcohol over the laptop. That is fairly terminal too.

35. Joanne October 23, 2015 at 7:32 pm - Reply

Glad you sorted your blog out, it would be a shame for you to disappear. The colour of the leaves has been truly glorious this month don’t you think x

• Jessica October 23, 2015 at 7:55 pm - Reply

It certainly has been glorious. Even perennials have been getting into the act this year, so lovely to see all the mustardy yellows and burnt oranges about. Thanks Joanne.

36. Rick Nelson October 23, 2015 at 10:27 pm - Reply

I love the acers and autumn colours rd but unfortunately many who are not true aficionados are only able to appreciate the garish summer colours rather that the more subtle colours of autumn unless they are like the massive displays of colour such as in N.America and Scandinavian. Ceratostigma plumbaginoides will not survive in my garden, basically it dies, too damp and not enough sun! To give you a bench point written after a bottle of Gewürztraminer, my favourite wine, but if it works??

• Jessica October 24, 2015 at 9:42 pm - Reply

It remains to be seen how well the ceratostigma will do for me over a hard winter, it is rather damp here too. This year may be the year we find out. A bottle of wine? Get those fingers away from the keyboard, before it’s too late..!

37. elaine October 23, 2015 at 10:37 pm - Reply

Your Acer is beautiful almost like a light being switched on in the woodland. Sorry to hear of your computer disaster – sometimes it pays not to meddle – or rather don’t try to fix that which aint broken. It all seems to have turned out ok in the end.

• Jessica October 24, 2015 at 9:44 pm - Reply

It was all the wasted hours Elaine, to get back to where I was before. Next time I’ll just pay more attention to those pop up boxes.

38. Helene October 24, 2015 at 12:12 am - Reply

Oh, I really could picture the scene!!
    I haven’t done the same with my blog, but been there – done it – got the T-shirt in the past with similar issues on my website while learning the ins and outs of how to make a website. I feel for you! Good the blog is back and looking nice.
    Your garden is looking nice too! Wonderful autumn colours, and Acer palmatum ‘Osakazuki’ just happens to be on my wish-list for next year, I know how spectacular yours will be soon 🙂

• Jessica October 24, 2015 at 9:47 pm - Reply

Osakazuki is getting redder by the day now, it won’t be long. I shall be sowing the seeds when they fall. Thanks Helene.

39. Jo October 24, 2015 at 11:15 am - Reply

I don’t think there’s any doubt that the acer is the star of the show in this post. I’ve been promising myself one for such a long time but it’s one of those that I still haven’t got around to buying. I love the photo of glistening drops of rain on the grass.

• Jessica October 24, 2015 at 9:53 pm - Reply

You won’t regret it when you do, I’m sure. And it’ll be fun deciding which one to have out of the huge number of varieties. Just keep it out of strong winds or the leaves fall too quickly. Think I may have that issue with this one now that the trees around it are gone. It’s more exposed.

40. snowbird October 24, 2015 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Yikes! Computer issues are always a nightmare. I hope all is now well.I love how your acer has come into it’s own, the beauty of added light!xxx

• Jessica October 24, 2015 at 9:56 pm - Reply

Light does make a huge difference. The garden is becoming transformed with the removal of some of those huge trees. Also I’m noticing more birds through the thinner canopy. They haven’t deserted the bird table either so they can’t be that cross with me!

41. Peter/Outlaw October 24, 2015 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Sorry to hear about your blog disaster. Oh well, we’ve all hit the wrong button at one time or another and lost something. Your changing Acer is sure gorgeous this year as is the rest of your foliage.

• Jessica October 24, 2015 at 9:58 pm - Reply

It’s losing its leaves now, sad to say. The lawn is covered with a beautiful orange and red carpet. I shall look forward to seeing what it does next year.

42. Amy at love made my home October 24, 2015 at 6:00 pm - Reply

Such beauty in your garden! I hope that you are sorted again blogwise, it is a horrid feeling when it goes wrong isn’t it. I know! xx

• Jessica October 24, 2015 at 9:59 pm - Reply

It is. That split second after you’ve hit the button and you know you can’t go back. Thanks Amy.

43. Cathy October 24, 2015 at 8:40 pm - Reply

The acer is indeed amazing (as they often are) – and how intriguing to be able to state categorically that there was no red in it last autumn….there is obviously a scientific reason behind it. Most of us have learned the hard way as far as aspects of our blogs are concerned, I am sure – and I know it took me a long time to realise that WordPress saved drafts of what I was writing so in the early days I had to rewrite whole posts several times as I thought I had lost them whereas they were just (and still are!) languishing in my drafts!!

• Jessica October 24, 2015 at 10:04 pm - Reply

I’m sure I’ve still got a lot to learn about how WordPress works. I’m too inclined just to fiddle and see what happens rather than read the instructions. But we muddle through in the end don’t we!

44. bittster October 25, 2015 at 1:06 pm - Reply

Beautiful!
    Sun is a good thing isn’t it? Love the way it backlights and highlights the colors you have, I hope we get a little today as well.

• Jessica October 25, 2015 at 9:19 pm - Reply

The low angle of the sun does provide for some interesting pictures. As you know I’m not a fan of the approaching season, but autumn does have its brighter moments!

45. Charlie@Seattle Trekker October 25, 2015 at 10:47 pm - Reply

You can really see the thought that went into a garden design as a season ends and the new one begins; the colors in your garden are just absolutely gorgeous, love the thoughtful contrasts.

• Jessica October 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm - Reply

Thanks Charlie. I noticed today the native trees are starting to turn now too, adding to the show. I hope you have some good fall colours too.

46. Beth @ PlantPostings October 26, 2015 at 3:27 am - Reply

I’m finding that the UK foliage is more vibrant than the Midwest foliage this year, it seems. We’ve had some pretty colors, but not quite as bright as previous years because we’ve had such a mild autumn. And the transition from summer to late fall happened very fast. That Acer foliage at the beginning of your post is incredible, as is the Plumbago foliage/flower combination. Wow!

• Jessica October 26, 2015 at 10:51 pm - Reply

Our mild autumn looks to be coming to an end. Strong winds today and torrential rain tomorrow. Colder nights too. Oh well, it had to happen.

47. Ann Edwards Photography October 26, 2015 at 9:48 am - Reply

wow, it’s as if you live in a woodland! The Acer is simply stunning – I love red foliage.

• Jessica October 26, 2015 at 10:54 pm - Reply

I love red foliage too and want more of it. The woodland backdrop goes mostly yellow/orange courtesy of the beech trees. Pools of red against it would look good.

48. Em October 26, 2015 at 12:10 pm - Reply

Just stunning, and I don’t mean your computer skills! I did something similar with my camera, deleting 150 shots, the absence of which is making me grind my teeth just thinking about it. Incidentally, my wonderful Nikon stopped working yesterday! I feel like I’ve lost my eyes! Never happened with the Fuji….hmmmm. X

• Jessica October 26, 2015 at 11:00 pm - Reply

Oh no! Can you get it fixed? Mike got an estimate to fix his dropped lens, just out of interest. It was almost as much as a new one would cost! But then we did think it was pretty much a write off, it had split completely in two, so not really a surprise.

49. Janet/Plantaliscious October 27, 2015 at 10:59 am - Reply

That acer is truly spectacular! Not that it wasn’t pretty, previously, but wow… I know what you mean about that “just one more tweak” that proves to be tweak too far. Well recovered!

• Jessica October 27, 2015 at 5:59 pm - Reply

Now that I know you’re into web design I might be after lessons!

50. Henriët Ferguson October 28, 2015 at 2:22 pm - Reply

That acer could be Liquidambar something-or-other. I am told it is famous for having autumn leaves in green-yellow-red-maroon varieties all at once. Maybe it came to life again because it has more light and room?
    Love your wonderful blog!

• Jessica October 28, 2015 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Hi Henriët, thank you for your kind words and welcome!
      I will look up the Liquidambar, I hadn’t thought of that. When you inherit a tree with a new garden it isn’t always easy to identify. It certainly has more light and room now, I hope as a result it will come back looking even better next year.