The Bloomers: August

Cosmos 'Purity' 002 Wm[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=

High summer and the garden is buzzing.

I must be doing something right. Treading carefully around the borders with camera in hand there were times when I braced myself ready for the sting. But the bees are just too busy to worry about the humble photographer. This one was well and truly stuck in.

Terraces 040 Wm

Stronger colours are coming to the fore now, even in the harsh midday sun

Agapanthus 'Indigo Dreams' 002 Wm[2]

Agapanthus ‘Indigo Dreams’. An inherited hydrangea and the ubiquitous croscosmia.

Many will recall my ongoing battle with crocosmia and the rising resentment of it as the years have gone by. It has wheedled itself into each and every corner. Corms have found their way underneath the chicken wire on the bank and grown to such an extent that it is now almost impossible to extract them via the holes in the mesh.

But wait. Before I got to the stage of chucking them all into bin liners bound for the dump I planted just a small clump of crocosmia at the top end of the bank..

Crocosmia 002 Wm[1]

.. where I may have to admit they look rather good

If only it was in their nature to behave, containing themselves in that nicely rounded clump.

Agapanthus 'Zachary' 003 Wm[1]

Agapanthus ‘Zachary’

But it’s the blues that are doing it for me most at the moment with agapanthus enjoying a particularly good year. I must have taken over 30 shots of ‘Zachary’, in sun, in shade, from every direction, in a vain attempt to capture the intensity of colour. The blooms are of a truly electric blue.

Hydrangea 018 Wm[1]

An ambidextrous hydrangea

It started life on the terraces but had really overgrown its position there. A year or two back we shifted it, with a fair amount of sweat and tears and very little ceremony, up to a more spacious abode on the woodland edge. Clearly it is now in the process of adjusting to soil rich in leaf mould and decidedly more acidic. Each year its blooms progress toward a truer blue.

Rose 'Alpine Sunset' 005 Wm[1]

Rose ‘Alpine Sunset’

The roses have done less well overall. They were fabulous in June but since then the weather has turned. It’s been cool and wet, the remaining flowers balled and turned brown and only now are we seeing a few more tentative buds.

Rose 003 Wm[1]

The best of the bunch at present.. possibly Rosa ‘Bonica’?

Verbena rigida 003 Wm[2]

Verbena rigida, seed heads from Peony ‘Bowl of Beauty’ and Pennisetum ‘Karley Rose’

My new found love of prairie planting has found its way on to the terraces too.

Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Orange Field' 001 Wm[1]

Persicaria amplexicaulis ‘Orange Field’

Primula florindae 001 Wm[1]

Primula florindae

Just look at the colour of those blooms, vibrant orange on the outside of the petals, creamy apricot within. Gorgeous. I haven’t yet had the heart to plant it out and leave it to the mercy of the wild.

Lysimachia punctata 'Alexander' 001 Wm[1]

Lysimachia punctata ‘Alexander’ and Nepeta ‘Walker’s Low’

But what’s that in the background? Surely it can’t be.. not here. Not when I’ve said they are impossible for me to grow and whenever I try the slugs gobble up the lot?

Echinacea 'Sundown' 001 Wm[1]

Echinacea ‘Sundown’

Let’s be very clear here. We’re not talking about resplendent drifts of blooms. There are three.

Sedum spurium 004 Wm[1]

Sedum spurium

Erigeron karvinskianus 004 Wm[1]

Erigeron karvinskianus

Last autumn Em from Dartmoor Ramblings (here) sent me some Erigeron seed harvested from her mother’s garden. It germinated almost immediately and I’ve distributed the resultant young plants far and wide. I really love the airy effect they’ve created in this urn.

Cosmos 'Purity' 001 Wm[1]

Cosmos ‘Purity’ amidst hardy shrubby fuchsias

Returning full circle to the location of the busy bee at the top of the post. Bees and blooms. Today even the sun is out. Ahhh… summer. Let’s just enjoy it while it lasts.

Agapanthus 'Indigo Dreams' 003 Wm[1]

Buzz buzz…

Linking to Carol and Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens (here), where you will find many other August bloomers from around the world.

Techie update: I’m cautiously optimistic that our problems with internet access have finally been resolved.

It’s good to be back.

[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]

2017-02-16T21:08:41+00:00 August 15th, 2015|Tags: |113 Comments

1. Maria August 15, 2015 at 9:20 am - Reply

What beautiful pictures. Wish my garden had more colour like yours.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 9:32 pm - Reply

Hi Maria, thanks and welcome.
      There are plenty of less colourful bits too, believe me!

2. Brian Skeys August 15, 2015 at 9:51 am - Reply

Welcome back! The intensity of the blue agapanthus is wonderful, I do believe there is a place for most plants, even crocosmia they go well with the prairie style of planting. Your pictures have wonderful colour Jessica, what is the secret of your success, is it the Devon sunshine?

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 9:39 pm - Reply

Devon sunshine? Ahh, it’s the way you tell ’em Brian.
      Have discovered through much trial and error that it’s better to take close up pics with the sun on them, long shots in bright light but not direct sun. That bleaches the colours and creates deep shadows. The terraces shot is far from ideal. The colours came out alright but the background is far too dark.

3. Julieanne August 15, 2015 at 10:07 am - Reply

I love the intense blues that you get at this time of year. Your pic of Agapanthus ‘Indigo Dreams’ reminds me why it’s on my want list (when I have somewhere to put it). I like that combination of Verbena rigida and Pennisetum ‘Karley Rose’.

I wouldn’t be too worried about planting out the Primula florindae – they are pretty tough from what I know. I have some yellow ones and they are happy in boggy shade and have been flowering for about 2 months now. Maybe you could collect some seed then plant it out, so you have a backup in case?

I enjoyed your bloomers and fingers crossed your internet has all be sorted.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 9:45 pm - Reply

Thanks Julieanne. I shall risk it with the primula then. Boggy shade I can do!

4. Freda August 15, 2015 at 10:45 am - Reply

It is looking wonderful down your way, Idyllic, I’d say (and I know what hard work an idyll is!)

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 9:50 pm - Reply

Thanks Freda. Hope you’ve had some better weather to enjoy your garden, bit chilly in these ‘ere parts.

5. Rosemary August 15, 2015 at 10:58 am - Reply

Love the colour blue in the garden, Indigo Dreams fulfils that, and definitely lives up to its name, a flower of dreams – but the star of the show must be that stunning Primula florindae

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 9:53 pm - Reply

It’s beautiful isn’t it. I keep thinking I’ll plant it but fear going out one morning and finding all the blooms munched off. I’ll maybe wait until the flowers have finished.

6. jannaschreier August 15, 2015 at 11:59 am - Reply

I need to send you some of ‘my’ caterpillars. They’ll have your Crocosmia under control in seconds. At least they more than control mine. Sigh. Love your Cosmos and Fuchsia combination, by the way. I don’t normally like red and white together but somehow with the yellow centre and various shades of green they look fabulous. Oh, and well done on your Echinacea. I adore Echinacea.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 9:59 pm - Reply

Your caterpillars would find a welcome home over here.. in many other gardens too I suspect. But I can’t help feeling that as soon as I opened up the envelope and they took a look at the weather that would be it. Toes turned up. At the very least they’d be on the phone to Qantas.

• jannaschreier August 17, 2015 at 10:23 am - Reply

Oh, that did make me laugh! They probably wouldn’t mind a summer holiday at the moment, though.

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:09 am - Reply

It’s duck weather today 🙁

7. Backlane Notebook August 15, 2015 at 12:01 pm - Reply

Since august is the most challenging month for British gardens I’d say yours is doing pretty well. I was pleased to hear on the Today programme the issue of poor Broadband in your area was being addressed-not that there seemed to be a fast remedy.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 10:06 pm - Reply

I think I may have spoken prematurely as it’s gone down three times today. We’re supposed to be getting the superfast thing in a few months, hopefully an improvement. If we can wait that long.

8. HB August 15, 2015 at 12:28 pm - Reply

Such beautiful photos–a joy to see them, thank you.

As to intensity of sun, well, you have not tried August photographing in California. Past 8am, it’s hopeless.

I have 3 Echinacea flowers too, under a cage so the rabbits won’t eat them.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 10:11 pm - Reply

Thanks Hoov. I would love to try.. craving heat right now. Yesterday we had all the lights on inside the house at midday and it felt like November. It would probably turn out to be a lousy picture but the sun on my back would make the effort worthwhile!

9. Ann Edwards Photography August 15, 2015 at 12:35 pm - Reply

such gorgeous blooms! I adore the vivid blue of the Agapanthus. I am waiting for the Echinacea that I was given to flower, is it generally a late bloomer?

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 10:44 pm - Reply

If it’s a young plant maybe it’s still getting itself established. Getting them over winter is the difficulty for me.. too wet I think. You may well have more luck.

10. hoehoegrow August 15, 2015 at 1:07 pm - Reply

Loving Agapanthus ‘Indigo’ – such a lovely dark blue! My roses have suffered the same fate as yours, and have been balled by the rain, and depressed by the cold! They are cheering up a little now, and have started a second flush. Can you ask your ‘Bonica’ to have a word with my ‘Bonica’, please, as it is not nearly as floriferous!

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 10:47 pm - Reply

‘Bonica’ is a best guess, it may well be something else entirely but it’s always been a do-er. The roses aren’t the only things depressed by the cold. I’m used to a touch of SAD in winter.. but August??

11. Lea August 15, 2015 at 1:16 pm - Reply

Wonderful!
    Love the ‘Sunset’ Rose!
    Happy Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day!

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 10:49 pm - Reply

Hi Lea! She’s a beauty isn’t she. The photo is a fairly close representation of the colour too.

12. Alana August 15, 2015 at 1:30 pm - Reply

Invasive croscosmia? Not here in upstate New York. In fact, ours didn’t even bloom last year. We are supposed to have a hot week with temperatures near 35. I’ll try to send some your way. I am loving your Alpine Sunset rose. Nothing like that blooming here right now.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 11:00 pm - Reply

We’ve been lucky to get over 20 this summer. One day I think. It really has been miserable. I must stop complaining. There are colder places.

13. Linda aka Crafty Gardener August 15, 2015 at 1:35 pm - Reply

What a gorgeous collection of colourful blooms.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 11:11 pm - Reply

Thanks Linda. It’ll be more of a struggle to find some next month I fear.

14. cherylwest2015 August 15, 2015 at 2:15 pm - Reply

As always your photos are gorgeous but the “indigo dreams” agapanthus and the primula are just outstanding. I have to bring my agapanthus into the garage for the winter(CT,USA) or they would not survive. Otherwise I would have many more.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 11:16 pm - Reply

It is touch and go here too. This year is the best they’ve ever been. I left them in the ground last winter and covered them with a thick mulch but it was a mild winter even by our standards which undoubtedly helped.

15. kate@barnhouse August 15, 2015 at 2:44 pm - Reply

Superlatively brilliant images, Jessica, what a wonderful selection of blooms too – plants don’t look this beautiful unless they are happy and well cared for … I really enjoy your posts for the range of interesting plants and well judged combinations. Persicaria ‘Orange Fields’ looks stunning. Glad to hear your broadband is behaving. 🙂

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 11:21 pm - Reply

Thanks Kate. I’ve developed as much of a passion for persicaria as for grasses, luckily they look wonderful together! The broadband is back to critical and definitely not stable. It had been going so well for all of a day..

16. AnnetteM August 15, 2015 at 2:53 pm - Reply

Lovely photos and so much doing really well still. I love the Persicaria and Primula. I am gradually collecting more Persicaria as they are such a useful plant.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 11:24 pm - Reply

They are and go on flowering for weeks. I’ve added a white one which is just breaking bud, something else to look forward to.

17. Vera August 15, 2015 at 3:54 pm - Reply

Ummmm, well….. Message to Self: If Jessica can manage make such a lovely garden then surely, surely, Vera, you could have a wee little go at getting your jungle of a front garden sorted out, not to mention the courtyard which is looking in a dire state of being having been used as a dumping ground for building stuff for this last year, this state of being not being helped by the chickens, geese and dogs leaving their loo efforts everywhere. Vera, really, really, if J can do it then so can you!

Vx

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 11:29 pm - Reply

You can Vera. I’ve done nothing special.. Plonk stuff in the ground. If it dies I may try a replacement. If that dies (or is munched) give up. The stuff that lives, grow on, propagate and spread around everywhere. I can send you a ton of crocosmia to get you started if you like orange??

18. Dorothy/The Nature of Things. August 15, 2015 at 4:24 pm - Reply

Oh, the gorgeousness! Such rich colors. I am very envious.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 11:32 pm - Reply

Thanks Dorothy. The rich colours are provided through lack of sun. Oh, I said I’d stop complaining..

19. Pauline August 15, 2015 at 4:36 pm - Reply

Yes, agapanthus are definitely the stars of the August garden. Their flowers shine out against everything else, such a beautiful blue! Like you we have far too many orange crocosmias which have just appeared in the garden, but yours look very good with a dark green background, maybe that’s the answer.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 11:37 pm - Reply

It’s when they start growing up through the middle of other plants I get really annoyed. Like lily of the valley, dreadful stuff, pretty but still dreadful. I shall try and keep this crocosmia clump under control. If I can’t it’ll be black bin bag time.

20. Denise August 15, 2015 at 5:46 pm - Reply

So glad you’re back on-line in time for Bloom Day. Here at home it’s the electricity that’s been faltering and shutting down the computer. I’m so jealous that England has such an amazing selection of agapanthus, whereas here, where they grow like weeds, the selection is so limited. ‘Indigo Dreams’ is the deep blue I’ve been chasing. We have a cultivar called ‘Storm Cloud’ that’ might be that dark. Lovely August garden.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 11:44 pm - Reply

I saw one in a catalogue the other day which was very dark, it might have been ‘Storm Cloud’. I must go and look it out. I love near-black flowers, against a suitable backdrop though so they show up. That’s why I put the agapanthus against the garish hydrangea. And to help hide it..

21. Rick Nelson August 15, 2015 at 5:48 pm - Reply

The terrace is looking really great rd, I love the simple robustness of the old fashioned montbretia, I have several clumps and wouldn’t be without them and where would we be without Cosmos ‘Purity’, personally I think it makes a far better plant than the more colourful forms.

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 11:50 pm - Reply

I agree about Cosmos ‘Purity’. It’s such a clear white it really does stand out. I put a group of half a dozen or so up on the bank. The slugs got all but two but those are doing the job on their own. I’ll grow them again next year for sure.

22. Amy at love made my home August 15, 2015 at 6:17 pm - Reply

Great to have you back! Wonderful August bloomers indeed!!! Wish that we had that much colour. I am more than a little envious! xx

• Jessica August 15, 2015 at 11:54 pm - Reply

Thanks Amy. Your garden is usually full of colour too. I am on my way over to check..

23. Kris P August 15, 2015 at 6:28 pm - Reply

Your August garden is absolutely splendid! I love all the strong color. With 50 or more clumps of Agapanthus already, I hardly need more but I think I’ll have to make room for ‘Indigo Dreams’ (if I can find it).

• Jessica August 16, 2015 at 12:07 am - Reply

It’s a stunner. Shorter (for me) than the regular blues but the colour is beautiful.

24. annamadeit August 15, 2015 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Fabulous, Jessica! I can see your frustration with the vigor of Crocosmia, but I have to say they are pretty awesome! I love the Agapanthus too – wish I had more… And, in my opinion, that little Erigeron would be welcome just about anywhere – it’s adorable!

• Jessica August 16, 2015 at 12:11 am - Reply

I only really noticed Erigeron when we moved down here, where it grows like a weed. Probably just as invasive as the crocosmia in its own way but somehow it’s easier to let off!

25. Donna@Gardens Eye View August 15, 2015 at 9:08 pm - Reply

Good to have you back and I find the bees leave me alone too if I don’t disturb them too much! That Agapanthusis a real stunner as are all the blooms here.

• Jessica August 16, 2015 at 12:18 am - Reply

I think that’s the key. I tried to move through the plants carefully and managed to get away with it. Have you noticed, when photographing the bees close up, they wave a ‘hand’ at you if they feel you are getting too close?

26. CJ August 15, 2015 at 9:33 pm - Reply

Love the erigeron, I’ve been spotting it everywhere this year. There’s some on the high street, all around some stone containers, seemingly growing out of the pavement. Wonderful. I saw some in two old metal tubs in Cirencester as well, they looked absolutely perfect. The rose bonica is fabulous, it really is, and I love the agapanthus, what an amazing colour. It’s all looking beautiful, and I’m so pleased you’ve got loads of bees. Well done you, all of your hard work has paid off. CJ xx

• Jessica August 16, 2015 at 12:25 am - Reply

Erigeron grows in next to no soil. I have pushed some into cracks in walls and it seems to be fine. No doubt the secret of its success! It also seeds like mad. Next time you see some, run your fingers over some of the old flower heads, you’ll come away with loads of fluffy seed.

27. mattb325 August 15, 2015 at 11:04 pm - Reply

I’m in love with that Primula florindae. It is beautiful!
    I feel your pain with the crocosmia. I have to do battle with it here as well – it, along with agapanthus and erigeron line every roadside and vacant plot here in the blue mountains (all three being declared weeds). It’s a shame, because I do like the flowers; but the corms exclude everything else and boy, do they spread!
    Your terraces look so lovely gleaming in the sun-light. The planting is stunning 🙂

• Jessica August 16, 2015 at 12:33 am - Reply

Now you COULD have some of Janna’s caterpillars! I can understand erigeron, but still struggle with the concept of agapanthus as a weed. Not when I have to cosset it and tuck it up under blankets of mulch to get it through the winter.

28. Beth @ PlantPostings August 16, 2015 at 1:22 am - Reply

Oh, so many lovelies here! ‘Alpine Sunset’ in particular melts my heart. Sigh. And, yes, those Crocosmias look magical with that light in that spot!

• Jessica August 18, 2015 at 11:39 am - Reply

I’m really pleased with Alpine Sunset. Half the price of the David Austin roses I usually buy, a garden centre purchase! It’s reliable too, I’ve had it three years at least.

29. Jennifer August 16, 2015 at 2:18 am - Reply

The colors, Jessica! Wow, I’m honestly staggered by the variety and beauty of your gardens.

• Jessica August 18, 2015 at 11:40 am - Reply

Thanks Jennifer. The colours do get stronger as summer progresses here, leading up to the reds of autumn.. Which I’m not looking forward to at all, however pretty they may be.

30. pbmgarden August 16, 2015 at 3:54 am - Reply

Oh my, so gorgeous. Agapanthus ‘Indigo Dreams’ has me swooning.

• Jessica August 18, 2015 at 11:42 am - Reply

It does really well against a south facing wall. But the last two winters have been mild. Hope I can keep it going.

31. SeagullSuzie August 16, 2015 at 12:37 pm - Reply

It’s lovely to see the flowers (and the bees) captured on camera. Congratulations on your three Echinacea.

• Jessica August 18, 2015 at 11:43 am - Reply

The Echinacea was a real surprise, I was just about to give up on them. Expensive annuals!

32. woolythymes August 16, 2015 at 1:29 pm - Reply

what colors!! jaw dropping beauties!!!! So funny, though…echinacea is the one thing (just about the ONLY thing—not counting rudbeckia!!–I can get to grow! Wish you were closer. I’d share. 🙂

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 9:33 am - Reply

I’ve tried many over the years but they really don’t seem to like it here. I shall try E. purpurea next, which does seem more reliable in the UK.

33. Marian St.Clair August 16, 2015 at 1:40 pm - Reply

It’s amazing your garden is still so fresh. Here, where July and August are a blur of heat, we beg for summer to end rather than endure. Like you, I enjoy the airy effect of Erigeron karvinskianus; how wonderful that you nurtured the plants from seed.

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 9:36 am - Reply

This summer it’s been very cool indeed. Only one day over 20C I think. And yet again today it is pouring down. The plants love it, even if the gardener doesn’t.

34. Jo August 16, 2015 at 4:32 pm - Reply

Glad to hear you’ve got your internet problems sorted out, it’s such a pain when you can’t get online. Such a lovely round up of blooms, the colour of Alpine Sunset is gorgeous.

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 9:37 am - Reply

I spoke too soon! No internet at all now. Or phone.

35. Angie August 16, 2015 at 4:58 pm - Reply

A veritable floral delight Jessica. Where ever you plant the primula make sure it gets plenty of moisture. Mine’s are so poor this year, lack of rain I suspect is the issue. I am dowsing them in water on an almost daily basis at the moment in the hope they don’t die on me.
    Now it’s your turn to tease me with a rose. R. Alpine Sunset looks as if it could be a contender for my front garden. It’s a beauty!

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 9:41 am - Reply

The spot I had in mind for the primula is rather boggy. In fact I was a waiting for it to dry out a bit before planting! It’s raining again now, so it’ll go in as soon as I get a chance.

36. Jacqueline August 16, 2015 at 7:10 pm - Reply

You do have so much colour in your garden Jessica and you plan it so well so that you have something blooming most of the year …… the sign of a true, dedicated gardener….. unlike me where mine is more luck than judgement !!! Nice to see lots of bees and insects too …. we do have lot of life in our garden which I’m pleased about.
    ….. and, I LOVE Agapanthus but they don’t seem to like our garden ….. perhaps I should try them in pots ?
    Happy gardening Jessica. XXXX

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 9:43 am - Reply

They would work well in pots, some say they benefit from root constriction. You should give it a go, maybe with some of the shorter ones like ‘Indigo Dreams’?

37. homeslip August 16, 2015 at 8:02 pm - Reply

Erigeron is becoming invasive in my garden and it’s naturalised down in the south west I’ve noticed. Nowadays I often see it planted like yours in an old stone pot and I’m doing that this year too. I’ll try and remember your advice to Brian when I’m snapping away with my iPhone. I have my eye on a Fuji X-T1 as recommended by my son. Just gorgeous intense colours in all your photos – beautiful Jessica.

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 9:48 am - Reply

Thanks. I try to get the colours as near as possible to the reality but there are some the camera just doesn’t seem to like. Some blues, like the agapanthus, and quite a few reds. And there are so many contrasts here to add to the challenge.. bright sun vs. deep shade. Thank goodness for digital cameras and the delete button!

38. Chloris August 16, 2015 at 10:32 pm - Reply

I am glad your internet problems are sorted. You have some gorgeous Agapanthus. Your Crocosmia look great .They are not all invasive. Two of my favourites are the red Hellfire,( much better than Lucifer) and Limpopo.
    What a fabulous Primula, I love it. Your August garden is looking so beautiful.

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 9:50 am - Reply

Thanks Chloris. Having come to appreciate crocosmias in the garden now I shall have to look out some of the better varieties. They would fit in really well with the prairie style scheme up on the bank.

39. Helene August 17, 2015 at 1:25 am - Reply

Your garden looks so lush and green for August!
    I love your agapanthus, I have two myself and think I need to add some more to my veeeery long wish-list for next year. Rosa ‘Bonica’ is absolutely lovely, how tall/wide does it grow?
    And your Echinacea is beautiful too, I will attempt them yet again next year. New garden, much more sun – possibly better luck!
    Good to hear you are back online, hope you get your super-fast broadband soon – you will never look back, I have 76Mb speed, which effectively gives me around 40-45Mb on the laptop or iPad as they are wireless and you never get max speed on a wireless device. Good enough anyway and I would not go back to turtle speed!

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 9:58 am - Reply

Rosa ‘Bonica’, if it is that, is about 90cm high. But it’s straggly. I am thinking of giving it a restoration prune after flowering (down to half or less) and see if I can get it to be more compact.
      76Mb or even 40 is totally unattainable by any means down here. Even satellite will only give us 12Mb, if a friend’s experience is anything to go by. At the moment, when it works at all we have between 1 and 2, with a 0.01Mb upload speed!!! I can rarely watch video online. I have a short video to upload for the next proper post but I know it will take hours.

• Helene August 19, 2015 at 12:51 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness Jessica, I feel for you, I really do – I remember (faintly) speeds like that years ago, I hope a better connection is coming your way soon!

• Jessica August 20, 2015 at 11:11 am - Reply

I fear we’ll always be behind the pace. Even if we get 12Mb, the ever more sophisticated features of the internet will place greater demands on bandwidth as time goes on. How long before that ceases to work?

40. Christina August 17, 2015 at 1:55 am - Reply

Dear Jessica, your white house with the thatched roof looks so inviting in the sun shine and I love the terraced borders in front of it. You have come so far here! All your different varieties of agapanthus are very lovely and I am totally smitten by the Erigeron karvinskianus. It is wonderful in the urn. Wishing you many more lovely summer days!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:00 am - Reply

Thanks Christina. I wish we had your lovely summer days! It is pouring down again today and forecast the same for the rest of the week. And there is so much I need to do in the garden!

41. Linda from Each little World August 17, 2015 at 2:33 am - Reply

Welcome back. I’m jealous of those amazing Agapanthus. Talk about indigo! Primula floriade is not hardy here but I keep thinking I may try to push the envelope.

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:03 am - Reply

It’s a very deep blue that indigo. It does need careful placing, with a good contrast around it, or it could disappear! I have it underplanted with the golden hakone grass and that seems to work.

42. Janie the Alabama Gardener August 17, 2015 at 2:48 am - Reply

Breathtaking as always!

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:03 am - Reply

Thanks Janie.

43. Josephine August 17, 2015 at 3:07 am - Reply

Absolutely gorgeous !
    Your flowers always look so healthy and prolific.
    Beautiful…..

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:06 am - Reply

English weather! I may complain but the plants seem to like it well enough. Thanks Jo.

44. Virginia August 17, 2015 at 10:51 am - Reply

So glad your internet problems are over. I love the intense blues of your agapanthus – over here it is considered a noxious plant, which is a step too far in my opinion! I love it, and also your hydrangea – they’re so honest and dependable. It’s time you took us on an outing Jessica! Tell Mike that NT card needs to come out of the wallet again!

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:22 am - Reply

I spoke too soon re the internet. I’m now having to resort to a somewhat erratic mobile connection and to cap it all the landline phone has now died too. September is a good time for outings, when the schools have gone back and everywhere becomes a little less crowded. We’re overdue some days out so will make up for it then!

45. Cathy August 17, 2015 at 11:27 am - Reply

White persicaria – ooh, that’s different.Where from? Your agapanthuis are stunning – what’s your secret? And great photos, as always – thanks for sharing.

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:27 am - Reply

It’s Persicaria amplexicaulis ‘Alba’. I’ll post a pic when it is fully out, broadband permitting. I picked it up at Rosemoor, so maybe RHS plants would have it?
      The agapanthus are both planted at the foot of south facing walls. I read somewhere that they flower better when there is root restriction, so the wall may help in that regard too. Both had a thick mulch of bark chippings to get them through winter.

46. Denise August 17, 2015 at 5:45 pm - Reply

I really look forward to these flower bloom posts – it is most inspiring to see that a garden can have colour all year round! Do you think there have been more bumblebees this year? We’ve had masses here.

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:29 am - Reply

There do seem to be many more bumblebees around this year, although I’ve seen fewer butterflies. I left the brassicas uncovered as an experiment and have had to rub off only a few eggs. Not that it did me any good. The slugs have decimated them.

47. […] at Rusty Duck in southwest England, […]

48. Rosie August 17, 2015 at 7:39 pm - Reply

Beautiful! I love the bright blue Agapanthus and the Crocosmia do look good in their new home – we have dug so many crocosmia plants and corms out this year they were strangling the other plants nearby but it does feel like a losing battle:)

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:33 am - Reply

I know the feeling. I’ve almost finished digging up the top terraced bed entirely and replanting it. Although there it is lily of the valley rather than crocosmia which has invaded every other plant. And this time I can’t blame the previous owner because I planted it!

49. frayed at the edge August 17, 2015 at 7:58 pm - Reply

I always enjoy your garden tours – it only takes a few photos to tour round ours!

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:35 am - Reply

You do grow some lovely plants though Anne and have amazing success for being so far north. I’m thinking of your olive.. not a single flower on mine.

50. Anna August 17, 2015 at 9:41 pm - Reply

Oh I hope that your internet woes are a thing of the past Jessica. Have made a note of agapanthus ‘Indigo Dreams’ – what a fabulous intense deep blue. Have you had pennisetum orientale ‘Karley Rose’ for some time? I’m wondering whether it will get through the winter after a couple of comments on my blog where I’ve mentioned it in my latest post.

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:41 am - Reply

I’ve had ‘Karley Rose’ many years, it moved with me from a previous garden via three years in a pot so I can vouch for its reliability. It gets no protection over winter, but then up to now it has been quite mild down here. I am missing blog visiting, I’ll check out your post when we are back on broadband and I’m not racking up mobile costs.

51. casa mariposa August 18, 2015 at 3:13 am - Reply

Simply beautiful!!

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:41 am - Reply

Thanks Tammy.

52. bittster August 18, 2015 at 5:05 am - Reply

Amazing how it comes together more and more every week. I hope this year of tree trimming and bank attacks doesn’t leave you feeling as an underachiever next year… unless you do keep the pace up!
    Exceptional photos this week, and the house is looking fresher and brighter than ever, must be the extra sunshine coming in!

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:44 am - Reply

They say gardening is all about next year and certainly later in the season it does feel like that. I’m looking forward to seeing the results of my endeavours. I do need to keep up the pace though, we’ve only scratched the surface 🙁

53. Sue Garrett August 18, 2015 at 11:33 am - Reply

Alpine Sunset is a beautiful colour.

If only they could breed a more restrained crocosmia we would all want one.

• Jessica August 19, 2015 at 10:46 am - Reply

I think some of the newer varieties of crocosmia are better behaved. Now that I’ve come to see its virtues, on the bank at least where there is plenty of space, I will be looking to try out one or two.

54. Helen August 19, 2015 at 6:14 pm - Reply

Crocosmia are easy to remove though and I think the newer varieties are probably not as enthusiastic as the one we call monbretia. I do like your verbena, must look out for that one and the persicaria

• Jessica August 20, 2015 at 11:24 am - Reply

The verbena is a great plant. I think I prefer it to V bonariensis even. It’s a lot shorter, but better behaved and blooms like crazy well into autumn. Clumps up quickly too, you’ll soon have more than you know what to do with.

55. Sarah August 20, 2015 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Sorry you are still have problems with your internet at least you have some wonderful flowers to look at while you are waiting for them to sort it out! Sarah x

• Jessica August 21, 2015 at 3:01 pm - Reply

Thanks Sarah. I have made more progress in the garden that’s for sure!