[layerslider id="5"]

Glendurgan 007 Wm[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=

The Maze at Glendurgan

The planets were in alignment again this week.

Firstly there was the completion of the study to celebrate. Then I was informed, by He Who Keeps Track Of These Things, that we haven’t made particularly good use of our National Trust membership this year. And last but not least there was a wedding anniversary to throw into the mix. We got into the car and pointed it south.

Glendurgan 002 Wm[1]

Begun by the Fox family in the 1820s to be a ‘small piece of heaven on earth’, Glendurgan is a wild and wonderful valley garden.* It has much in common with its close neighbour Trebah, which we visited this time last year (here). Both gardens link a house at the top of a hill to a beach on the Helford river estuary at the bottom. Both require stamina and a stout pair of shoes.

*from the visitor guide.

Glendurgan 001 Wm[1]

At the entrance to the garden we meander gently through borders lusciously filled with tender perennials, trees and shrubs

Agapanthus 002 Wm[2]

Agapanthus

Watsonia 001 Wm[2]

Hesperantha? Watsonia (thank you Kris)

Glendurgan 009 Wm[1]

Glendurgan 008 Wm[1]

This one is totally new to me, Baptisia?

Agave americana 001 Wm[1]

Agave americana

But nothing quite prepares you, as you round the next corner, for this:

Cornus kousa var. chinensis 001 Wm[1]

Cornus kousa var. chinensis

It is huge..

Cornus kousa var. chinensis 002 Wm[1]

..and absolutely smothered in blooms

Glendurgan 003 Wm[1]

Another view of the maze

Designed to mimic the appearance of a serpent curled lazily in the grass, Fox planted the maze in 1833 using cherry laurel. He intended it to be a challenge: the hedge stretches three quarters of a mile from entrance to exit, endlessly spiraling around itself in tight, manicured circles. It’s somewhere between three and four feet high, but being able to see over the top of it doesn’t seem to confer much advantage. We sat on that bench opposite and watched a chap in a straw hat repeatedly retrace his steps. Mike was keen that Yours Truly should have a go, muttering something about a series of time lapse photographs that could feature on the blog and reminding me that it’s high time I changed the password.

Restio 001 Wm[1]

A closer look at that superb South African restio

Glendurgan 006 Wm[1]

From the maze the path wends its way down to the beach and the quaint village of Durgan. It consists of holiday cottages now and we didn’t linger, preferring to see more of the garden.

Including this peaceful spot:

Glendurgan 004 Wm[1]

The School Room

Glendurgan 005 Wm[1]

On the site of the original Fox family schoolroom, a recently constructed thatch shelter looks over a glade of tree ferns

By which time, after much climbing up hill and down dale there was need for refreshment. It being the National Trust there is, naturally, a tea shop on site. Mike enjoyed a salted caramel ice-cream and me an orange and date crumble slice.

And then, who’d of thought it, right next door to the tea room too..

Purchases 002 Wm[1]

Ooops..

Helenium ‘Moerheim Beauty’, Salvia ‘Black and Blue’ and Imperata ‘Red Baron’. (That last one from Trebah.)

And how was I supposed to leave this behind.. ?

Metal pheasant 001 Wm[1]

Meet Ptolemy Too

Lifesize. Already making himself at home on the lawn. Could there be trouble ahead?

2017-03-03T11:05:38+00:00 July 12th, 2015|Tags: |

1. Backlane Notebook July 12, 2015 at 3:05 pm - Reply

I love that Cornus kousa var.chinensis and that you found a few more plants to slip into the basket. I too find it impossible to resist the plant shop on these NT visits.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 2:57 pm - Reply

Some are better than others so I shall remember that shop now. I do love it when I come across good plants unexpectedly, it quite makes my day!

2. suefrombrampton July 12, 2015 at 3:45 pm - Reply

We’re staying near Helston in a couple of weeks time….must put Durgan on my list of gardens to visit…by the way love your Ptolomy Too! How are you getting on with your new propagater?…I’ve just purchased one.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 3:05 pm - Reply

It’s a good place to go because there are a number of gardens within a small area.
      I’ve had four rooted cuttings out of the propagator so far (Lonicera nitida) after three weeks. One rotted and has been thrown out, leaving me 35 of various species still waiting for something to happen. But most of those are still looking perky in the humid environment so fingers crossed. The first contingent have all been softwood cuttings from shrubs, so I’m expecting mixed results to be honest. When I start on the tender perennials I hope the process will be quicker and more reliable.

3. Pauline July 12, 2015 at 4:10 pm - Reply

I’m sure the maze was taller when we were there many yrs ago, we couldn’t see where we were going, but we got there eventually! Love Ptolomy too, things should get interesting in the spring and I’m so pleased to see you didn’t resist temptation and some plants came home with you!

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 3:11 pm - Reply

We still get the occasional visit from our feathery friend so things may get interesting before that. But perhaps the most combative season has now past and Ptolemy Too will be permitted lawn territory for a little while.

4. Alison July 12, 2015 at 4:18 pm - Reply

Oh, great purchases, love them all. And what fun to just hop in the car and visit such a cool garden. Wonderful shot of the restio.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 3:13 pm - Reply

We are spoilt with the number of great gardens in Devon and Cornwall. I’ve only scratched the surface! And then of course I can go back and see them all again in different seasons.

5. Charlie@Seattle Trekker July 12, 2015 at 4:57 pm - Reply

Such a wonderful garden; thank you for sharing your day. Your photos (the color of the plants, the shapes and the textures) are all so amazing; your latest bit of garden art is so exceptional.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 3:27 pm - Reply

We seem to be accumulating quite a bit of rusty old iron! Thanks Charlie.

6. Christina July 12, 2015 at 5:02 pm - Reply

Hi Jessica, sounds like you and Mike had a fun day out! I love the garden and the fact that it is somewhat different in its more natural overall design than many of the English Gardens that I have seen. Gosh, how I miss visiting a National Trust Garden with adjacent tea room! Your post brings up so fond memories of garden visits that my husband and I did together in England. Too bad that we couldn’t go this spring.
    Interesting plant purchases! I love the salvia ‘Black and Blue’ as the blue color of the blooms is truly special, but in my garden it was invasive and I had to take it all out again. Hopefully that doesn’t happen to you!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 3:36 pm - Reply

There is no chance of salvia becoming invasive here, sadly, I lost every one of them last winter and it wasn’t even cold. It’s the winter wet that does it and our less than free draining soil. It was one of the reasons I bought the cuttings propagator, so this year I should have some safely tucked up in the greenhouse as a reserve.

7. kristinrusso July 12, 2015 at 5:11 pm - Reply

Beautiful pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. Happy Anniversary!

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Hi Kristin, thanks and welcome to rusty duck.
      Woodland garden on a hill.. the sort I always seem to end up in these days!

8. Denise July 12, 2015 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Those darn NT tea rooms and their darn plant shops!! What’s a girl to do? Happy Anniversary to you both!! (Love Ptolemy’s new chum – hope he does, too!)

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 5:21 pm - Reply

Thanks Denise. Ptolemy’s new chum is definitely getting his feet under the table. Or embedded in the grass. He will be a formidable opponent if challenged.

9. Amy July 12, 2015 at 5:50 pm - Reply

Clearly the National Trust does it right with a tea room and sale plants adjacent – not to mention a pheasant 😉 What a perfectly magnificent Cornus kousa! I will have to keep close track of the comments on this post as I’d love to know whether that is a Baptisia. Looks like you and Mike had a lovely outing, which would not have been improved by getting lost in the maze, perhaps… Happy Anniversary!

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 5:25 pm - Reply

The Cornus was an absolute stunner! I’ve never seen one quite as smothered in blooms as this. Yes, I’d be interested to know what that plant is, although it’s unlikely to grow for me here. The gardens on the south coast of Cornwall enjoy a much milder climate.

10. Amy at love made my home July 12, 2015 at 5:57 pm - Reply

Happy Anniversary!!! Here’s to many more!!! What a wonderful place to go for a day out, the maze is amazing – see what I did there!!! – isn’t it. It must be great fun to watch people going round and round and … well, you get the point! I love Ptolomey Too, I wonder what Ptolomey One will make of him!! That will be very interesting to see! xx

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 5:30 pm - Reply

Thanks Amy. I’m still hearing the real one out and about in the woods so maybe they will meet up soon. Bet I don’t have the camera ready at the time. Doh.

11. kate@barnhouse July 12, 2015 at 6:34 pm - Reply

Looks and sounds like the perfect day out!

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 5:38 pm - Reply

They are needed sometimes, to recharge the batteries and provide some inspiration. There is a gunnera in my future, somewhere!

12. Brian Skeys July 12, 2015 at 7:02 pm - Reply

It is good when the planets do align, we all need to stop take a break and sit down occasionally. I am not so sure about the salted caramel ice cream, the plants are more to my taste!

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Salted caramel ice cream is a delight! I’d have had one too were it not for the appetising look of the date crumble. I’m not a great lover of cake, but..

13. Brian Skeys July 12, 2015 at 7:03 pm - Reply

I forgot, Happy Anniversary.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Thanks Brian.

14. Rosemary July 12, 2015 at 7:07 pm - Reply

That Cornus certainly puts mine in the shade – when I got home from Glendurgan last year and looked at my photos I noticed the bronze foxes on the entrance walls which I didn’t pick up on at the time. I couldn’t relate them to the garden but then it suddenly struck me that the owners were of course the Fox family.
    Belated “Happy Anniversary”.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 5:52 pm - Reply

Thanks Rosemary. I have to confess I didn’t notice the foxes either. I read somewhere that the Fox family had a hand in Trebah too, which probably explains why the gardens are so similar.

15. Cheryl West July 12, 2015 at 8:40 pm - Reply

Thank you for another interesting outing. Happy Anniversary. I have never seen a Cornus that tall here in the U.S. and while I have had the black and blue salvia in my garden many times it never reached such heights. Ptolomey Too is a perfect addition for your garden.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 5:59 pm - Reply

It says 60cms height on the salvia label, just under 2 feet, which is about perfect for where I want it but I’m told it can be a lot taller than that. Hopefully our less than ideal climate will keep it in check.

16. bumbleandme July 12, 2015 at 8:40 pm - Reply

Looks like you and Mike had a grand day out! I am in love with flowering dogwoods and it is definitely on my list of things to buy when we’ve cleared a bit more of the woodland garden. The salvia is Devine too – I treated myself to a couple too the other day. I’m hoping I remember to bring them into the polytunnel to overwinter as I don’t think they are quite hardy.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 6:02 pm - Reply

No, they’re not quite hardy for us. I had about three different ones last year and lost the lot over winter. Either digging them up and bringing them under cover or taking cuttings is the way to keep them going.

17. Sue Garrett (SueatGLAllotments) July 12, 2015 at 8:45 pm - Reply

The cornus at first glance looks to be covered in snow,

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 6:03 pm - Reply

It does! I couldn’t believe just how smothered in blooms it was. Absolutely delightful.

18. Sarah July 12, 2015 at 9:08 pm - Reply

A wonderful location to celebrate your anniversary, congatulations (also for completing the study.) The cornus, maze and school room are stunning. I hope your new pheasant doesn’t attract too many of it’s relatives. We once bought a wicker duck which attracted other ducks into the garden! Sarah x

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Oh no! I love seeing the pheasants grazing on the lawn but they are destructive. They hop up onto the terraces too and nibble on whatever takes their fancy.

19. Mark and Gaz July 12, 2015 at 9:22 pm - Reply

Beautiful! And lovely purchases too! Although we have been to Cornwall so many times we have yet to go to Glendurgan. Must rectify that when we’re next back to Cornwall.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 6:10 pm - Reply

Less jungly than Trebah, but in its own way just as spectacular.

20. CJ July 12, 2015 at 10:15 pm - Reply

Wow, what an utterly glorious garden. The cornus is sensational, as is the gunnera. Glad you had such a lovely time. I missed going to Trebah when we were down that way, I wish we’d managed it, but the little people were happier with something else at the time. Maybe one day… The pheasant is wonderful, I bet he looks a treat on the lawn. Have a good week Jessica. CJ xx

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 6:16 pm - Reply

There will be plenty more chances I’m sure. The little people would certainly love the maze.

21. Virginia July 12, 2015 at 10:52 pm - Reply

Happy Anniversary Jessica and Mike. And thanks for another lovely outing. It’s gone on the list for next year. I think we’ll have to spend a week down your way. I giggled at the philtre of the Agapanthus, they are considered a ‘noxious weed’ here in New Zealand as they spread so easily in our climate. Bill has a personal vendetta about them, but I love them, and I won’t change my view… they always have healthy green leaves, their flowers are beautiful and when winter comes, the flower stalks are great spray painted…. Bother the Boffins!
    Glendurgan Gardens is On The List … thank you

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 6:21 pm - Reply

Thanks Virginia. I wish I could get agapanthus to grow at all! I have three, the last one only bought this year but the others both have flower buds that are just about to burst. There is great anticipation. I’m hoping that at least one will be out for the next post (bloom day) but the weather has taken a turn for the worse so somehow I doubt it.

22. Dorothy @ The Nature of Things July 12, 2015 at 11:09 pm - Reply

What a wonderful garden. Thank you for sharing it with us. Also, happy anniversary and I love the new Ptolemy.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 6:44 pm - Reply

Thanks Dorothy.

23. jannaschreier July 13, 2015 at 1:11 am - Reply

What a lovely garden. Funny to see all the plants that we grow in the subtropics, too. Glad you happened to stumble across a nursery or two; they look like very well chosen purchases. Happy Anniversary!

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 6:50 pm - Reply

I’d love to be able to grow those plants! The South Cornwall coast has a microclimate all of its own.
      Thanks Janna.

24. pbmgarden July 13, 2015 at 1:51 am - Reply

Happy anniversary. Nice way to celebrate. Maze looks like fun.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 6:52 pm - Reply

It’s just a shame the weather wasn’t better. Distinctly unlike summer at the moment. Thanks Susie.

25. willisjw July 13, 2015 at 2:05 am - Reply

Jessica, what a wonderful posting! We did Trebah when we were in England in 2008, now we have yet another reason to return. I have never seen a kousa like that one. There is a giant Cornus Kousa at the entrance to Longwood in Pennsylvania but it doesn’t match the quantity of bloom your picture shows.
    I don’t think it’s Baptisia by the way. Looks more tropical to me…

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 6:56 pm - Reply

C. kousa has to be my favourite tree but mine pale into insignificance compared to this one. I have no idea what that plant is. Baptisia was the closest I could find via google images but the leaves aren’t quite right. I’m very happy to be corrected.

26. Kris P July 13, 2015 at 3:32 am - Reply

Happy anniversary! I enjoyed your visit to the garden. I think the orange flowering bulb may be Watsonia.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 7:01 pm - Reply

Spot on Kris, I just looked it up. Thank you. Now corrected.

27. Lorraine July 13, 2015 at 5:03 am - Reply

Lovely pictures of a beautiful garden. Have you been to the Lost Gardens of Heligan yet? Well worth a visit if you haven’t, magical and quite different from most of the other gardens I’ve visited around the UK. I just love Ptolemy Too, I want him…. hmm, when are you going on holiday?

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 7:12 pm - Reply

No, not been to Heligan yet, but it’s on my list!
      He He.. no holidays booked 🙂

28. Sigrun July 13, 2015 at 6:10 am - Reply

A beautiful garden! The unknown plant I also don’t know! I have not visited this garden, but Heligan. And a lovely tearoom.

Sigrun

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 9:02 pm - Reply

I think Heligan will be next.

29. Freda July 13, 2015 at 7:40 am - Reply

I’m thinking of coming south for some summer and some NT days – glad you shared yours – lovely! And happy anniversary!

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 9:05 pm - Reply

It’s not been very summery this far south. When the media were talking heat waves we had mizzle and temps not rising much above the high teens. There’s been one day above 20C so far this summer. Go south east!

30. Joanne July 13, 2015 at 8:00 am - Reply

At least Ptolemy Too can’t eat anything! Happy anniversary, it looks like you had a lovely day out. We too are dreadfully behind on our intended National Trust visits, hoping to fit a couple in when we are off in a couple of weeks x

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 9:12 pm - Reply

It’s so difficult to fit them in, that’s the trouble. There always seems to be something more pressing. But summer is going by at a pace. Enjoy your time off… and don’t spend it all decorating!! (Do as I say not as I do 🙂 )

31. Lorraine July 13, 2015 at 11:40 am - Reply

Lovely pictures of a beautiful garden. Have you been to the Lost Gardens Of Heligan yet? They’re very much worth a visit if you haven’t, quite different in style from most other gardens with a quite magical quality.
    I just love Ptolemy Too, I want him! hmm when are you going on holiday?

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 9:15 pm - Reply

WordPress seems to have duplicated your comment.. see above!

32. Sam July 13, 2015 at 12:25 pm - Reply

What a lovely way to spend your anniversary. Looks like a great place to visit. Fabulous Cornus. And a very wise choice of purchases 🙂

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 9:18 pm - Reply

Thanks Sam. More for the pot ghetto.. if only the rain would stop and I could go out and get them planted!

33. Vera July 13, 2015 at 12:50 pm - Reply

If I was to have a ‘proper’ garden then this is the one I would like to have…..it oozed peacefulness even through the photos, so must have been stunningly peaceful to have been there. What a lovely anniversary you had.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 9:21 pm - Reply

It was very peaceful. There were a lot of cars in the car park, but apart from around the maze we were walking around pretty much by ourselves. These woodland valley gardens are my inspiration. On a MUCH smaller scale I would love to have something like this but.. oh.. what a lot of work to get there.

34. Linda P. July 13, 2015 at 4:39 pm - Reply

Some of those wonderful photos of the garden give the impression of being in a lost valley. You could get lost there and that would be all right. Belated good wishes for your wedding anniversary.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 9:55 pm - Reply

It does feel just like that. Especially on some of the paths that wend their way through the woods. We got ‘lost’ several times. But sometimes it’s just nice to wander a bit and see what is around the next corner. Thanks Linda.

35. frayed at the edge July 13, 2015 at 6:13 pm - Reply

What a wonderful place to visit! I love Ptolemy Too!!

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 9:57 pm - Reply

He’s great isn’t he. Made out of old steel oil cans in Africa.

36. Marian St.Clair July 13, 2015 at 7:25 pm - Reply

Your Cornus looks very similar to an evergreen we have here named Cornus angustata ‘Elsby’ that goes by the trade name Empress of China. I wonder if they are related? Did you enjoy this garden as much as Trebah? I’m looking for a good excuse to visit this part of the country again:-)

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 10:09 pm - Reply

They are very similar gardens, running down parallel valleys just a few hundred yards apart. If I’m honest, Trebah still has the edge for me. There’s a bit more going on with a bamboo glade, lake at the bottom of the hill and a huge display of hydrangeas at this time of year. But Glendurgan is quieter. We didn’t try out the maze which is its prime attraction I suppose, but wandering about the woodland paths, finding interesting plants and not meeting another soul is much more to my liking.

37. Rick Nelson July 13, 2015 at 8:53 pm - Reply

I have Cornus kousa here at the moment but it pales into insignificance against the specimen in your post, the form very much reminds me of Viburnum plicatum ‘Mariesii’ which incidentally my Cornus is showing above its now faded pink blossoms.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 10:13 pm - Reply

It seems to me Cornus has gone over very quickly this year. My white ‘Wietings Select’ has already faded to pink as well. I’m sure it lingered longer last year.

38. homeslip July 13, 2015 at 8:53 pm - Reply

The Helford river is one of my favourite spots in Cornwall. Last July we stayed in a wooden cabin across the water from Glendurgan and Trebah and walking distance to The Shipwright Arms, a very good pub. We had fabulous weather so no garden visiting as we were in or on the water all day long. It was, as they say in Cornwall, a proper holiday. Happy anniversary Jessica, and here’s to many more.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 10:17 pm - Reply

Thanks Sarah. Yes, last summer’s weather was much better than this. It’s been appalling today, constant mizzle interspersed by heavier showers of rain. Hard to believe it’s July! And the slugs are having a field day.

39. Marian July 13, 2015 at 9:50 pm - Reply

Such beautiful garden! Love that Cornus Kousa! It’s amazing! And love the header you have that tells a story, really nice!

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 10:19 pm - Reply

Thanks Marian. I’m glad you enjoyed the header. I had fun putting it together!

40. elaine July 13, 2015 at 9:55 pm - Reply

Happy Anniversary Jessica – what a nice way to celebrate. Those perennial borders put mine to shame! And that Cornus – wow.

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 10:25 pm - Reply

Elaine, your borders are brimming with colour and gorgeous! The rain has taken its toll here. The roses have all balled up and turned brown. The new plants I bought are constantly falling over in the wind. I’ve got so fed up with picking them up I’ve now shut them in the greenhouse. High summer? Pah.

41. mattb325 July 13, 2015 at 10:31 pm - Reply

Happy anniversary! That garden is beautiful, and like you, I am gobsmacked by the Cornus! It’s amazing to see tree-ferns grown in the open like that; it must be very mild and wet all year-round (here tree ferns need the protection of large trees from both heat and cold). I like your purchases, especially the helenium 🙂

• Jessica July 13, 2015 at 11:04 pm - Reply

Yes, I can vouch for the climate. South Cornwall coast is very mild. And wet. There were a lot of tree ferns and they all looked incredibly healthy.

42. CherryPie July 13, 2015 at 11:28 pm - Reply

The garden looks great, it is not a place I have been. I particularly like the maze.

• Jessica July 15, 2015 at 10:10 am - Reply

It’s fun isn’t it. If we go back with more time maybe I’ll try and get to the middle of it. And more importantly, find my way back out!

43. Christina July 14, 2015 at 8:29 am - Reply

You bought two plants I’ve been wanting for ages! Love the peacock, maybe it will frighten the other one away?! I suppose not but a nice thought. Sounds like a garden I should add to my list too, thanks for sharing your visit.

• Jessica July 15, 2015 at 10:13 am - Reply

I wish I could have bought more of each plant, but there was only one of the helenium available. In any case, given the high rate of failure here I’m beginning to think that I should start out with one of everything, see how they do and then take cuttings or split those that survive.

44. Lorraine July 14, 2015 at 11:38 am - Reply

Sorry about repeated comment. It was my mistake not WordPress, made during what is euphemistically termed a senior moment, but in reality me just being downright dopey.

• Jessica July 15, 2015 at 10:15 am - Reply

No worries Lorraine! WP quite often does funny things, I assumed it was just throwing another wobbly.

45. casa mariposa July 14, 2015 at 10:52 pm - Reply

A giant agave in England? How weird. I didn’t think they liked your climate but what a cool maze! I probably would have hopped the hedge to get out. 😉 Love the plants you bought. They’re so huge!! Looks like a fun day. 🙂

• Jessica July 15, 2015 at 10:17 am - Reply

You’re right. I certainly wouldn’t be able to grow an Agave in my garden. But there are sheltered valleys along the coast which enjoy quite special microclimates. This is one.

46. Jacqueline July 15, 2015 at 9:07 am - Reply

What aMAZEing gardens Jessica !! It looks like another country.
    …. and that Cornus is beautiful.
    ….. and, brilliant purchases too. XXXX

• Jessica July 15, 2015 at 10:20 am - Reply

I’m showing my cornus the pictures.. nothing like a bit of positive encouragement is there.

47. ginaferrari July 15, 2015 at 1:14 pm - Reply

SuCh a wonderful post. That maze is incredible

• Jessica July 16, 2015 at 12:24 pm - Reply

Thanks Gina. It is quite a feat of planting isn’t it. Imagine having to work out where all those twists and turns should go.

48. Julieanne July 15, 2015 at 7:07 pm - Reply

I’ve not been to Glendurgan for more than 10 years and it looks just as amazing, if not more so, than my last visit. That maze really is something. But wow, that Cornus, what a beauty.

• Jessica July 16, 2015 at 2:43 pm - Reply

The Cornus is stunning. I rather hope mine won’t get so large but I’d be very happy to see it as floriferous as that one!

49. Denise July 21, 2015 at 12:01 am - Reply

The mystery plant in the photo above the agave is Amicia zygomeris which I want to source and grow again for next year. There’s even a variegated form! But the species is crazy enough, with tall, bamboo-like stems and those weird, bruised pouches. Standard yellow pea flowers. I had a National Trust membership once and used it like mad when we visited. Oh, the stuff we take for granted that others would give a right arm for! What a nice anniversary trip you had.

• Jessica July 22, 2015 at 2:37 pm - Reply

Denise, thank you so much for the ID! That is definitely the plant. It is apparently hardy down to -10C. I’m tempted…

50. Chloris July 21, 2015 at 8:50 am - Reply

Glendurgan and Trebah are both such magical gardens, what a wonderful treat after all your hard work. That Cornus is fabulous and I love your new pheasant.

• Jessica July 22, 2015 at 2:40 pm - Reply

It is a great privilege to be able to explore these lovely places in an easy day trip from home. Just a little bit frustrating though when I know so much of what they grow would hate my garden!

51. Peter/Outlaw July 28, 2015 at 5:15 pm - Reply

Ptolemy Too and your new plants will serve as a nice reminder of this celebratory visit! Oh my what a maze! Perhaps Mike should have tried it and you could have posted the video on your blog. Glad you had an enjoyable day!

• Jessica July 29, 2015 at 7:18 pm - Reply

Always good to get out and soak up some inspiration. Even better when some of that inspiration can come home in a pot! Thanks Peter.