Decision. And A New Toy.

Slug damage 001 Wm[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=

Ex-Cosmos

Annuals are going the same way as bulbs. They are things which I really can’t grow in this damp, shady, mollusc and mouse infested garden.

Despite my best efforts with copper rings, coffee, wool pellets, gravel, the sharpest and pointiest of berberis twigs and just hand picking them off, the slugs have had all the cosmos and cornflower seedlings that I planted out last month. There’s some rudbeckia left in the cold frame but it feels like plant slaughter to be putting them out knowing full well what the outcome will be. I shall have to resort to slug pellets. They work, but I hate doing it nevertheless.

The easiest way forward is to concentrate on shrubs and selected perennials which can hold their own against the invaders. They are lower maintenance too and with a bit of planning I can still achieve a garden that has interest all year round. The downside is the cost, especially with so much bare earth still to cover. Which is where the new toy comes in. A cuttings propagator.

Propagator 001 Wm[1]

It consists of a reservoir of water with spray jets to keep the cuttings moist but not waterlogged, providing the perfect conditions for root growth.

Propagator 002 Wm[1]

Each cutting is prepared in the normal way, inserted into a foam collar and then popped into the propagator tray. There’s a heater in the water as well, keeping it at a constant temperature of 21 deg C.

Propagator 003 Wm[1]

I’ve started with camellias, a plant that has defeated my attempts to propagate it every year that I’ve tried. Let’s see how it does in this. Also in there cuttings from that rogue shoot that has emerged on the cornus tree, ahead of me chopping it off. I’m also trying Lonicera nitida which I’ll be using to make a low hedge around the new edge of the lawn. We’ve already collected about 24 plants from various points around the garden, dug up and heeled in to a nursery bed, but I’ll need many more.

Propagator 004 Wm[1]

If this works it will save me a fortune in the years to come. There’s a sense of real expectation building. Propagating was never more exciting!

For the wildlife, meanwhile, it’s business as usual.

Twirlasquirrel 013 Wm[1]

There’s been a constant stream of woodpeckers and other birds to and from the feeders finding food for their chicks. They’ve needed almost daily refilling. The squirrels haven’t been slow to catch on. So we put fresh batteries in the twirler.

And you know what? Squirrels have a well developed capacity for revenge. The very next day, this happened:

Squirrel damage 003 Wm[1]

Ex-rosebud ‘Pat Austin’

On the path directly outside the kitchen window. Where I would see it.

And in Mike’s lawn…

Squirrel damage 004 Wm[1]

There was another deer in the garden this morning too.

The battle continues.

Oh dear.

2017-03-03T11:16:20+00:00 June 19th, 2015|Tags: , , |86 Comments

1. Amy at love made my home June 19, 2015 at 3:21 pm - Reply

Oh Jessica! So unfair!!! We have bark mulched everywhere this year and it seems – seems!! – as if the sluggies are not getting to much quite so much, but gosh they sure can eat a lot in a very short amount of time can’t they. As for the squirrel diggers!! Grrr!!! I feel your pain – there are four now in our garden!!! I don’t even feed the birds anymore I am afraid to say. Hope that the new propagator works and that you can build up a good stock of plants that are slug and squirrel proof! xx oh and Ptolomey proof as well of course! At least I don’t have to worry about Ptolomey coming munching! xx

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 8:22 pm - Reply

Four squirrels! Do they fight? They do here. We cheer them on.

2. suefrombrampton June 19, 2015 at 3:29 pm - Reply

I sympathise ref the slugs,I have had to resort to the ‘ nasty’ pellets but I am putting them under largish pieces of broken clay pot,leaving a gap just big enough for a slug to crawl under…they appear to be staying put after consuming the poison ,so I simply collect them up and put them in a sealed plastic bag before disposing of them in the dustbin. I have tried the ‘safe’ pellets but something gobbles them up faster than I can put them down! I suspect we now have some iron man type mice around with expensive tastes!

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 8:31 pm - Reply

I lose the pellets as well. I haven’t noticed a significant fall in the mouse population, so if they are eating them it doesn’t seem to be doing them any harm.

3. Backlane Notebook June 19, 2015 at 3:53 pm - Reply

Oh I feel your pain ! I’ve just been gardening and decided to bite the bullet and lift the enormous and healthy G. Psilostemon. It took up too much room but more significantly hid the snails and slugs that then devoured lots of different herbaceous plants planted in April -about twelve plus six veronicas -I just this afternoon discovered the labels for these. I found and dug up two damaged achilleas and they divided up very easily making eight more plants which cheered me up no end.The achilleas do fairly well in a more open part of the garden away from walls so I’ll re-plant these when they are looking robust. Incidentally Sedum ‘Autumn Glory’, valeriums and Cistus ‘Sunset’ never get eaten-do you have these ?

Well done for investing in the cutting propagator and I’m sure you’ll get results.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 8:35 pm - Reply

Achilleas don’t last five minutes for me. Another plant I’ve given up on. Sedum, though, I can vouch for. It seems indestructible. Cistus doesn’t seem to get nibbled either. Valeriums I’ve yet to try, thanks for the tip!

4. Alison June 19, 2015 at 4:13 pm - Reply

Oh, oh, oh! I’ve wanted one of those propagators for forever! Keep us updated on how well it works. I can commiserate on the animal destruction, especially the nasty slimy slugs.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 8:42 pm - Reply

It’s hard to resist the temptation to peep inside the propagator. It’s probably safe for a while, I suppose root growth will take a few days.

5. homeslip June 19, 2015 at 5:01 pm - Reply

Oh dear, the triumph of hope over experience is what gardening is all about isn’t it. Good luck with the propagating, it looks very professional. You’ll be selling plants from the garden gate next! Have you tried ferns? I have polystichum setiferum (soft shield fern) growing under my pear tree, it looks good all year round and combines well with primroses in the spring.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 8:48 pm - Reply

I love ferns and there are loads of the common ones around the garden. Last year I bought one with black midribs and a shuttlecock shape (you can tell I’ve forgotten the name!) and it’s done very well, so that is indeed a way to go.

6. Mark and Gaz June 19, 2015 at 5:03 pm - Reply

Liking the look of your new toy and looking forward to seeing what results you get from them!

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 8:51 pm - Reply

I can see I’ll get a lot of use from it if it works.

7. Freda June 19, 2015 at 5:19 pm - Reply

Oh you do have a battle on your hands Jessica! It is heartbreaking. I use slug pellets, sparingly, early in the year only. I don’t think I could garden here without them. I do admire your resilience and hope you have better luck as the season goes on. The propagator looks fascinating and I look forward to seeing how it works. I watched a beautiful deer in the garden recently, until it started eating the rose buds – no!

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 8:55 pm - Reply

Deer are a mixed blessing indeed. We probably don’t get quite as much rain as you do, but it’s still good slug country. Mind you, reading blogs from more arid parts of the world you’d be amazed at where slugs turn up!

8. justjilluk June 19, 2015 at 5:29 pm - Reply

I think the propagator is an excellent idea. Some years back I propagated loads of box plants. We all know the cost of them!! I just used hormone rooting powder and peat free compost and into a pot. It worked. Too well to be honest! So crack on. You never get bored with all that wildlife. Always a positive.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 8:59 pm - Reply

If I can propagate enough Lonicera to surround the lawn I’ll be well chuffed. And the kit will have paid for itself just in that. I’d have preferred to use box, were it not for the risk of blight.

9. Simone June 19, 2015 at 6:19 pm - Reply

Have you ever thought about opening your garden up as a wildlife sanctuary? Only joking! I love the look of that big new toy. I wish you many successful cuttings!

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 9:06 pm - Reply

It is big too. We considered briefly putting it inside the house in a north facing window where the light conditions (no direct sun) would be more favourable. But the windowsills aren’t big enough. And then when we got it going there was another factor to consider – it makes a hell of a racket! So in the outhouse it will stay.

10. Em June 19, 2015 at 7:47 pm - Reply

You really are up against it! Love the propagator – what an amazing thing but so simple. Here I just stuff things into the ground, water heavily nad hope for the best…..I think you can guess how that goes.

Still crazy here and no sign of finding blogging time. Lovely to catch up with you here though. How are those Mexican Daisies doing???? xx

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 9:09 pm - Reply

They are doing great. Some are starting to flower already!
      I’ll email you.

11. Jayne Hill June 19, 2015 at 8:13 pm - Reply

Ooo, a mist propagator, lucky girl 🙂 Rather fancy one myself so look forward to you road-testing it for me. You’re absolutely right in that it is a splendid investment which will pay for itself over and over again. There is nothing like the satisfaction of a plant that you have grown yourself, probably why I have absolutely no willpower whatsoever when it comes to seed packets.

Sorry you’re losing so much to slugs, et al. Sadly that is the nature of gardening. We have considerably less slug damage here than I expect and wonder if that is down to the ponds (and huge numbers of frogs) and the large monthly bill from GJW Titmuss (and the huge numbers of birds we feed)?

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 9:24 pm - Reply

I would love a pond but potential sites are limited on a hill. We’ve just filled in a derelict one, the location of it (under trees) was just crazy. It was on a levelled out area so on one side there was a sheer vertical drop, a bit like an infinity edge! Unsurprisingly it leaked like a sieve.

12. Denise June 19, 2015 at 9:05 pm - Reply

Natty propagator, Mrs Gardener Lady! I shall have one when I grow up and have earned my gardening stripes. (P.S When Andy was in the park on Monday he said 12 squirrels ran in front of him in a crazy squirrel rampage. Twelve!!)

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 9:26 pm - Reply

Twelve is a lot. They are breeding too fast. I back the plan to put contraceptives in their drinking water.

13. CJ June 19, 2015 at 9:26 pm - Reply

Oh, I’m sorry about all your dear tender little plants. Gardening is ridiculous sometimes isn’t it. More perennials is a great idea, and I love the new cuttings propagator. I’ll be interested to see if the camellia takes, I love camellias. I’ve got a tiny white one in the front garden, hardly big enough to take a cutting from though! It’s a permanent battle with the wildlife isn’t it. There’s less here, but even so I’ve been watching the blackbirds eating the strawberries all afternoon. Once the sun goes down it will be the slugs’ turn. And yet we still press on with it all. There’s a moral in there somewhere. CJ xx

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 9:31 pm - Reply

At least we can go down the supermarket and stock up, frustrating though that is. What about ancient man. Did everything come and eat all his food from under him as well? It’s a wonder we’re here at all.

14. Sam June 19, 2015 at 11:12 pm - Reply

Oh Jessica. Hugely disheartening to lose lovely tender plants – poor you. I do not like slugs one bit. Nor squirrels but our two cats mostly keep them away here. I like the look of that propagator. I’ll be very interested to hear how you get on with it. I’m glad your sense of humour is bearing up! Love the twirling squirrel pic. Sam x

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 9:34 pm - Reply

I’m hoping it will help me bulk up the perennials later in the season too. Especially the tender ones. I lost every salvia in the garden over winter, this year will be different. Fingers crossed..

15. pbmgarden June 19, 2015 at 11:12 pm - Reply

That propagator looks like too much fun. I wish you lots of success. Can never have too many camellias.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 9:35 pm - Reply

Agreed. But if all 15 cuttings take I’ll have an awful lot of pink camellias..

16. Linda from Each Little world June 19, 2015 at 11:36 pm - Reply

Slugs and rabbits here, but I dreamed there was a deer in the garden recently. Definitely a nightmare that I hope doesnot come true. Looking forward to propagating posts.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm - Reply

Something very weird happened here last night. I heard something down in the river, something really huge sploshing about. So much so that I got up to see if I could see anything. I’m quite sure it wasn’t a dream because I was wide awake, sitting up in bed reading blogs (as you do). Maybe the deer came back, but it sounded heavier than that.

17. Dorothy @ The Nature of Things June 20, 2015 at 12:08 am - Reply

What a neat new toy! I really must look into that. It could be a wonderful addition to my gardening repertoire.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 9:52 pm - Reply

I’ve got a long list of things I want to try.

18. Annie Cholewa June 20, 2015 at 12:44 am - Reply

What fabulous things those mist propagators are.

I wonder if it’s possible to hypnotise squirrels into thinking they only eat slugs.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 9:55 pm - Reply

It’s worth paying someone to try and hypnotise a squirrel. There must be all sorts of ways they could be useful round the garden if they had a mind to.

19. christina June 20, 2015 at 2:35 am - Reply

Dear Jessica, ooh I am so sorry about your annuals! You live on such an incredible property, but I guess everything with a few disadvantages.
    The cutting propagator (never heard of such thing before your post) sounds like a neat thing. If it works that would be wonderful and indeed very exciting. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 9:58 pm - Reply

If it works it will be in constant use this summer. I will report back either way.

20. AnnetteM June 20, 2015 at 7:28 am - Reply

What a shame about your annuals. I wish you lots of success with your propagator. There are some annuals i should stop buying because they always get eated, but others that seem ok such as Antirrhinums, Gazanias and Lobelias, but then I don’t think my slugs are a match for yours.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 10:03 pm - Reply

At least going for shrubs and perennials should reduce the workload, which is important especially on the hill. My approach to buying perennials could well change. Not so much do I like the colour but how many cuttings can I get off it!

21. ginaferrari June 20, 2015 at 8:23 am - Reply

It’s a constant battle isn’t it… This year the squirrels have dug up all my pots looking for walnuts they have buried all over the garden, having stripped the tree last autumn. And now the pigeons have eaten ALL my peas and beans!

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 10:05 pm - Reply

There is no consideration is there. A pair of pigeons have set up a nest in a tree directly above my veg garden. It’s not looking promising is it.

22. Vera June 20, 2015 at 10:19 am - Reply

Shame about all those others who want to partake of everything one grows…. it is a battle for sure! But good thinking about the propagator…. I am sure that it will be successful. Shame about your annuals and bulbs, but I suppose one has to grow what suits one’s environment, and I hope to remember this when I start working on our gardens. I would like Victorian cottage gardens, but think that perhaps that would take too much time up. Our neighbours tend to grow shrubs rather than bedding plants because of the high summer temperatures, so that is a more sensible option for us as well!

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 10:09 pm - Reply

You should be able to grow a good range of plants. Are you far enough south to avoid frost?

23. annincumbria June 20, 2015 at 5:06 pm - Reply

I do love a new toy but I will resist and make do with my existing electric propagator it has worked well for me so far, I sometimes wonder why we don’t just give in and let nature have her way with the garden but she can be kind sometimes

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 10:15 pm - Reply

It’s very tempting isn’t it. But that is effectively what has happened here over the past few years and it is an uphill task to get it back on track. The woodland though I will leave much to its own devices, other than thinning the saplings that have taken over and removing dangerous trees and branches.

24. Angie June 20, 2015 at 7:47 pm - Reply

I think you live in the land of the super slugs! I wonder if you’d thought of growing some plants such as Hostas as sacrificial plants to keep those blighters away from the ones you want to keep. I know of other gardeners that do just that. Resorting to slug pellets is probably the only way you are going to beat these beggars Jessica.
    Liking your new toy – I think if successful it will more than pay for itself. Looking forward to reading about how it does.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 10:17 pm - Reply

There are so many slugs I rather think they would have the hostas for breakfast and be back looking for more by lunchtime. Beggars they are.

25. Brian Skeys June 20, 2015 at 8:16 pm - Reply

Hello Jessica, this year has seemed to be a losing battle with the slugs, even the organic slug pellets and garlic wash has failed with the hostas here.
    Have you ever tried the liquid slug killer?
    I will be interested to follow you progress with the propagator.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 10:20 pm - Reply

It must be the two mild winters in a row, there are legions of the things. I didn’t know liquid slug killer existed. I shall investigate.. have you tried it?

26. jenhumm116 June 20, 2015 at 9:46 pm - Reply

Oh poor you with your varmints! But lucky you with your new toy – I do hope you have lots of success with it. I just love propagating, ending up growing all sorts of things that I’m not always convinced I need, but it’s just so satisfying.

• Jessica June 20, 2015 at 10:25 pm - Reply

It’s very tempting to grow more than you need.. I have 15 cuttings of the same variety of camellia on the go. But I know they’re difficult to strike so thought it would increase my chances. But if they all root? How can I then throw away a perfectly healthy plant? Christmas and birthday presents all round.

27. Kris P June 21, 2015 at 12:36 am - Reply

Nasty squirrels! Something recently ate all the flowers off my Gazanias, which has never happened before – I wonder if my squirrels could be responsible. The raccoons here are very good at keeping the snails and slugs under control but I don’t suppose you’d want me to send you one of those? (I don’t expect the disreputable critters would make it through customs anyway.) The cutting propagator is slick – I’ll be interested in hearing whether the results meet your expectations.

• Jessica June 22, 2015 at 11:01 pm - Reply

Kris, I appreciate the offer. But I’m not sure I could be coping with yet another garden pest. The deer have arrived en masse today. Well, two.. and have eaten half my sweetcorn crop. And the only way of keeping them out is seven foot deer fencing. Nice. Not. And anyway unaffordable.

28. mattb325 June 21, 2015 at 12:54 am - Reply

I’m sorry to hear that the coffee didn’t work…it’s such a same to see so many seedlings given over to destruction. It sometimes feels that planting annuals is like ringing a mollusc dinner bell 🙁
    The only other thing I do is plant my annuals straight into the ground during late autumn/winter when there are no snails or slugs around and put them under those little clear plastic strawberry punnets (the ones that have little holes in them) to provide a mini green-house through winter so that come spring they have enough growth to withstand the nibbles. But we also have blue-tongued lizards here which keep the snail numbers under control.
    The propagator is a neat toy indeed – fingers crossed that it helps with camellia cuttings!

• Jessica June 22, 2015 at 11:07 pm - Reply

The coffee worked for a while, a couple of weeks, and then the temptation must have gotten too great. I tried topping it up but we were just needing far more coffee than we could drink! I like your idea with the strawberry punnets. I would need a lot of those too.. No time like the present to stock up. 🙂

29. Suffolk Pebbles June 21, 2015 at 11:33 am - Reply

the propagator sounds great – I must investigate further … such a shame about your Cosmos, but on the bright side, there are many wonderful perennials and shrubs to choose from if it becomes clear that annuals are not the way forward for you. I will look forward to the Camellia results.

• Jessica June 22, 2015 at 11:12 pm - Reply

So far so good with the camellias, but I expect it will take a week or so for them to root. Tomorrow I shall take a peep, if only to check whether the water level needs topping up.

30. Jo June 21, 2015 at 12:59 pm - Reply

What a great bit of kit, I look forward to seeing how the cuttings do in it. We’re told on gardening programmes and in gardening books that we need to grow plants which do well in our garden according to the soil type, they don’t say you need to grow plants according to the wildlife your garden attracts but I think that’s the best bet in your case. It’s such a shame that you’re unable to grow the kind of plants you want to but I’m sure you’ll have more success going down this route.

• Jessica June 22, 2015 at 11:17 pm - Reply

You’re right Jo. It’s far less bother to grow the plants that are right for the location and thrive by themselves. I could spend forever trying to defeat the pests and still not win. I shall keep a few special plants close to the house, probably in pots, where I can better protect them.

31. Donna@Gardens Eye View June 21, 2015 at 3:43 pm - Reply

Jessica I am with you….I am cleaning and clearing the garden and hoping to add more shrubs and sustainable plants especially as I age in the garden…then I can keep a few cutting beds and veg beds….so this propagator seems invaluable. I am anxious to await how you think it has performed.

• Jessica June 22, 2015 at 11:27 pm - Reply

None of us are getting any younger, shrubs and perennials are generally far less work. Although even then I shall have to choose wisely. Echinacea always get eaten, a shame because I love them and they look so good with the grasses that are already on the slope.

32. Anna June 21, 2015 at 10:00 pm - Reply

Have been fighting a battle against mollucs for years so I thoroughly sympathise with you. What a brilliant new toy Jessica. Have fun!

• Jessica June 22, 2015 at 11:35 pm - Reply

My choices may be more limited from now on, but there are plenty of things already around the garden that the molluscs don’t like to eat. They had better prepare to go hungry.

33. snowbird June 22, 2015 at 12:15 am - Reply

Oh….what a fantastic new toy…..I await the results with bated breath, this could be the solution to my old horrible hedging border!xxx

• Jessica June 22, 2015 at 11:42 pm - Reply

It may take a while to make a hedge this way but at least it won’t cost us an arm and a leg!

34. casa mariposa June 22, 2015 at 3:46 am - Reply

Those are mafia-quality squirrels. The rose was only a warning. I’d be very careful if I were you! 😉

• Jessica June 22, 2015 at 11:54 pm - Reply

They have taken to working in packs. And they don’t respond to the water pistol so much anymore. They sit on the bird table and stare at us through the kitchen window..

35. Amy June 22, 2015 at 7:57 am - Reply

That propagator! Need one! Wellll… want one! I must say that it looks like you’ve got excellent squirrel propagation also. Sorry to see all that slug damage. I have honestly not seen a single slug or snail since moving here, but I don’t think that outweighs the negatives if you don’t really WANT to live in the desert… 😉

• Jessica June 23, 2015 at 12:01 am - Reply

You must have managed to find the one mollusc free place on earth! But I bet there are plenty of other hungry things that have eyes on the greenery in your garden.. If not, can I interest you in a pair of deer?

36. Linda P June 22, 2015 at 8:48 am - Reply

Destruction after all that hard work and effort is depressing, but glad you have a new plan of action to go for more shrubs and grow from cuttings using your new propagator. There’s nothing like new gardening equipment to get one motivated again after a set-back.

• Jessica June 23, 2015 at 12:08 am - Reply

I hope I’ve found a way forward. It would be so much better to co-exist with the wildlife rather than battling them all the time. The deer especially are magnificent animals, if only they left my plants alone!

37. Peter/Outlaw June 22, 2015 at 2:46 pm - Reply

So sorry to hear about your plant damage! A nice slug pellet mulch seems to be in order. Your new toy looks like lots of fun and I can’t wait to hear how your camellia cuttings fare!

• Jessica June 23, 2015 at 12:10 am - Reply

It will be a result to get camellias to root. Really useful things to have a few of if I can manage it.

38. frayed at the edge June 22, 2015 at 5:18 pm - Reply

I love the propagator – I hope you are soon churning out new plants to fill the garden.

• Jessica June 23, 2015 at 12:17 am - Reply

I’ll have so many bright pink camellias they’ll be able to see the garden from the space station.

39. paxton3 June 22, 2015 at 8:49 pm - Reply

Hey Jessica,
    I planted over 100 Cosmos in my small back garden. The snails and slugs have had over half. The swines. I have also resorted to pellets. And chucking any snails over the fence. I am very envious of your propagator, and shall look forward to hearing of any progress.
    Leanne xx

• Jessica June 23, 2015 at 12:28 am - Reply

That is so unfair. I blame our weather. If it were drier and colder the molluscs wouldn’t have half the chance. They experience flight here too. And if they are lucky have a soft landing in the river. Sink or swim.

40. wherethejourneytakesme June 22, 2015 at 11:53 pm - Reply

Hi Jessica – we have just arrived for our holiday in Scotland to tame our jungle at the cottage. My problem is not slugs or squirrels or mice but rabbits – nearly everyone of my newly planted shrubs in the trellis border has had its roots exposed by the rabbits digging at the base of each plant. I am having to surround the base of each plant with a ring of stones so I will probably find the slugs will now move in! There are a few plants I have given up on but that is sometimes because the wild flowers crowd them out not because they get eaten. It is all just trial and error isn’t it!! Love the propogator – I might add one to my Secret Santa list this Xmas.

• Jessica June 23, 2015 at 12:37 am - Reply

If it’s not one thing, it’s another.
      Have a great time in Scotland and take time to enjoy it as well as all the hard graft!

41. Indie June 23, 2015 at 3:38 am - Reply

I tell you, those squirrels! Devious little critters, they are! I am so envious of your plant propagator. I showed it to my husband and told him that was what I wanted for my next birthday! What brand did you get?

42. Chloris June 23, 2015 at 11:23 pm - Reply

Squirrels are the ‘enemy’ but I have to admit the family of baby squirrels running and leaping up and down the walnut tree are rather cute. They look like little monkeys. Your squirrels are clearly nasty vindictive creatures. Wow, that propagator is the business. Lots of new deer food there.

• Jessica June 24, 2015 at 9:43 pm - Reply

I’m thinking of adding a new page to the blog. It won’t be a long one, just a list of the plants that survive here. On the basis that if they can grow happily in pest central they will manage it anywhere.

43. Charlie@Seattle Trekker July 12, 2015 at 12:47 am - Reply

This is my second year trying to grow veggies and it has been such a learning process, I have a very similar climate to yours. I admire your perseverance, and I am very anxious to see how you do with your new toy.

• Jessica July 12, 2015 at 1:26 pm - Reply

So far I’ve had four rooted cuttings out of it, after three weeks. Lonicera nitida, for a hedge in the making. The magnolia cuttings are not looking so good but they were a bit of a gamble, I didn’t have such high hopes there. But it’ll be fun to experiment with different things and see what works.