Bad Blogger Follow Up

Saunton Sands 010 Wm[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=

Thank you so much for all of your considered and helpful comments to the last post.

It seems there is still much to understand about comments and how they are handled by WordPress and when time permits I’ll do some digging through the documentation and try to shed some light on it. The fact that it seems to be a different experience for everyone, both here and on other WordPress blogs, suggests that a number of factors are at play.

The settings on your own computer or device may have much to do with it, such as having autofill enabled (or not) and whether or not you choose to accept cookies. rustyduck.net does not use cookies, but WordPress almost certainly does.

The comment settings on WordPress allow me three different possibilities:

• that I require no information at all prior to processing a comment
  • that I require name and email address
  • that the commentator has to be registered, which presumably means having a WordPress account.

I chose the middle option, which seems to offer some protection against spammers but without placing overly onerous demands on the commentator.

I’m more than delighted to read that everyone likes the current theme. It would be somewhat foolish then to consider changing it, even if I might be tempted to tweak it from time to time! I’m relying on you to let me know if something isn’t working anymore.

Text: left justification or centred? Most people didn’t seem to mind, with perhaps a sight leaning towards the left! For me, and some of you too, centred text works better with a lot of photographs, left justified when the post is mostly text. This is the convention I’ll adopt from now on.

You all love the larger pictures, even if that means the site takes a little longer to load, so they will stay too.

And you didn’t spare my blushes. It wasn’t meant to be an exercise in fishing for compliments, quite the reverse, but it was lovely to read them nevertheless. Thank you.

2017-03-03T11:25:10+00:00 May 14th, 2015|Tags: |24 Comments

1. Mark and Gaz May 14, 2015 at 4:06 pm - Reply

Good tips there but fortunately we don’t have to tweak anything 🙂 one WP blog we couldn’t comment at all for some strange reason, even the author don’t know why (unless she blocked us but she said she didn’t, well…)

• Jessica May 14, 2015 at 11:04 pm - Reply

It’s all got so complicated. Strange things happen and often it’s nigh on impossible to find the reason why.

2. annincumbria May 14, 2015 at 4:46 pm - Reply

Hello Jessica I have managed to read all your back post now and look forward to watching you garden and woodland being transformed, good luck I do hope no more disasters with the house

• Jessica May 14, 2015 at 11:23 pm - Reply

Hi Ann, welcome on board!
      I keep meaning to go back and tidy up some of the older posts, the formatting has gone a little awry. Thank you for persisting! With an old house anything can happen, that’s the problem. We’re learning to do only what is necessary and not dig too deep!

3. Julieanne May 14, 2015 at 4:54 pm - Reply

Glad to hear the big photos are staying. And sounds like a good answer to the text justification issue. Onwards and upwards, as they say 🙂

• Jessica May 14, 2015 at 11:25 pm - Reply

It’s the only way to go! Thanks Julieanne.

4. Pauline May 14, 2015 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Glad we were able to help, your posts are always interesting, so if you keep writing, we’ll keep reading!

• Jessica May 14, 2015 at 11:30 pm - Reply

You’re very kind Pauline. I always enjoy seeing what you are growing in your garden, after all if it works for you it should for me. Ha!

5. Rosemary May 14, 2015 at 7:01 pm - Reply

A few weeks ago I had a clear out of cookies and then found that my avatar had disappeared when I commented on your blog, but I have since been able to re-establish it. I used to be a contributor on a WP blog and so I think that is why I have no problems commenting on yours.

• Jessica May 14, 2015 at 11:36 pm - Reply

My aged laptop is struggling these days and recently we’ve purged it on several occasions to try and improve its performance. Every time I have to reestablish all the old links and get the shortcuts back. So frustrating.

6. CJ May 14, 2015 at 8:39 pm - Reply

Glad you had so much positive feedback. Yours is a blog I always look forward to reading; well written, beautifully photographed, informative and funny. Love it. CJ xx

• Jessica May 14, 2015 at 11:38 pm - Reply

CJ, I could use exactly the same words to describe your blog. Have a lovely weekend.

7. Brian Skeys May 14, 2015 at 9:27 pm - Reply

The quill (Computer) is mightier than the sword, keep on blogging!

• Jessica May 14, 2015 at 11:42 pm - Reply

We have come a long way haven’t we. Just as well, I never could get those damn feathers to work.

8. Annie Cholewa May 15, 2015 at 12:50 am - Reply

I missed your last post.

I am having problems with the commenting on my own blog – Google has introduced a verification process for some commenters that I can’t turn off! – so I do sympathise. But autofil does the job for me here and I very much enjoy both your posts and the conversations in the comments threads 🙂

• Jessica May 15, 2015 at 6:59 am - Reply

The hurdles that are put in our way are so frustrating, all in a bid to defeat spammers I have no doubt. Thanks Annie.

9. SeagullSuzie May 15, 2015 at 9:42 am - Reply

I love you photos-they look amazing on screen being so large-well worth the loading wait (although it’s not too bad for me).

• Jessica May 16, 2015 at 7:35 pm - Reply

Thanks. I don’t really know how it works, but presumably even if they were displayed a smaller size the loading time would still be the same because the original photo file size wouldn’t change?

10. Christina May 15, 2015 at 11:12 am - Reply

I find wordpress excellent at blocking spam and at least you don’t have to go through a long process every time to prove you are not a robot. I subscribe to very few blogspot blogs for that reason. I’m going to change my subscription to you to email, which I think wasn’t available before then I won’t have the problem of having to open 3 pages before getting to the post. Keep up the good work. Christina

• Jessica May 16, 2015 at 7:51 pm - Reply

WordPress is pretty good and needs to be. I get more spam comments than genuine ones but Askimet stops virtually all of them. The occasional one slips through and gets held for moderation. Thanks Christina.

11. Island Threads May 16, 2015 at 7:53 am - Reply

Jessica, I’m like Christina, I find wordpress one of the best and like her read few blogstop blogs for the same reason, (blogspot is really google and has been for 10 years now!for those of us that remember the original blogspot was good and started and run by a nice group of people),
    re your photos and text, I do not mind either way, however, I have text justified left and photos centre, you may have noticed, due to loosing a post in the first few months of blogging, I always write my posts in word and C&P into the blog then add photos, if you write your post and justify left, then add photos and justify the photo centre, after the first the rest are justified the same, not suggesting you or anyone does this but just thought I’s add it as it is in the discussion, hope that is OK with you Jessica,
    you have a lot of readers and subscribers so you must be doing it right, ignore the moaners, who needs them, some people just seem to like to find fault, so glad you got the nice comments you deserve, Frances

• Jessica May 16, 2015 at 11:04 pm - Reply

I didn’t take it as a moan, but I know what it’s like to have to re-enter details every time. And I just want the blog to be as easy for readers and commentators as possible. It annoys me that it isn’t!
      Thanks Frances.

12. Cathy May 16, 2015 at 10:22 pm - Reply

It’s good to get the feedback from others, Jessica, as otherwise we don’t know how our blogs come across. I subscribe to emails for all the blogs I follow and have never had a problem this way, and also WP blogs recognise me and I don’t need to give details when I comment. Mine is set to accept comments from people who have commented before. I love the big pictures on your blog – you obviously have no restrictions on uploading space whereas I am close to needing to buy an upgrade! Ultimately, if our blogs are a reflection of ourselves we need to be happy with how they look regardless of what others think

• Jessica May 16, 2015 at 11:38 pm - Reply

My hosting costs go up each year and I presume part of that is linked to space, it certainly isn’t free. That’s the trouble with picture heavy posts I guess, but how else would we have it?