A Moose In The Hoose

Study 010 Wm[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=

The tree is down. The detox has started. Can’t put off the decorating any longer then.

A week or so before Christmas I gave up the unequal struggle to get the study done on time. Better, surely, to have the job done well than rush it for the sake of a date on the calendar and forever more regret it.

But progress has been made in one respect. Remember the beautiful old boards hidden underneath the fluorescent orange carpet that previously ‘adorned’ the room? It wasn’t all good news. Some time in the recent past there has been a ‘repair’. Note, below, the ill-fitting narrow boards and crosshead screws. Fine under carpet of course. But not now my heart is set on restoring the lovely old floor.

Study 020 Wm[1]

Early in December I spent the best part of a day scouring the internet and testing the patience of every architectural salvage merchant in the South West. Having reached the sea in every direction bar one my virtual journey continued north. Up the M5, a brief detour around Bristol and Bath, then hang a left somewhere around Hereford and on into Wales.

The conclusion? Sourcing 12″ wide old floorboards is harder than looking for those proverbial hens’ teeth.

A different solution would have to be found.

The original boards are pine but apparently even trying to find new wood in that width is not so easy these days. And then, by pure chance, and not too far from home either, we came across this:

Study 024 Wm[6]

A small section of floorboard taken along for comparison purposes is perched upon the top. Result.

The beam was sliced into boards the exact same thickness as the original, delivered, and each section manhandled down the 84 steps by the long suffering decorator and his able assistant.

Study 021 Wm[1]

This is the point we have reached today.

Whilst they acclimatise in the study the boards should be weighed down, the recommendation being to use breeze blocks, as a defence against warping. An exhaustive search of the premises turned up only the one block.. sundry renovating paraphernalia has had to be enlisted in order to fill the breach.

Once the new floorboards are fitted, and the whole floor sanded, the colour will be a much closer match. We’ve also held on to the wood trimmings, the offcuts from the beam. Any gaps between the boards that do remain can be filled with fillets, as was the traditional way.

All well and good then until the night last week when I happened to be working late in the temporary office downstairs. It’s the most peaceful time there is. No sanders, drills or hammering. No washing machine or TV. No phones ringing. Just…

.. a strange rustling noise emanating from the ceiling. Little claws on wood. Seemingly located in the underfloor cavity directly between me and decorating ground zero.

But oh good grief, with the work on the floor yet to be done, aren’t there still huge gaps up there.. easily big enough for a mouse to squeeze through?

And thus by torchlight in the dead of night I am to be found shifting buckets, blocks, boards and anything else that could feasibly be used to block up the gazillion holes. The mouse keeps his counsel in silence. But he is still there, oh yes he is.

At first light a trap is hastily deployed and another chalk mark added to the tally chart. And is that the end of it?

A couple of nights later the scratching resumes.

Mousey, it seems, wasn’t working alone.

2017-03-03T12:01:57+00:00 January 6th, 2015|Tags: |102 Comments

1. Annie January 6, 2015 at 12:27 pm - Reply

They came, they saw, and they had a darn good go at conquering … let battle commence, again 😉

Those boards are going to look amazing.

May all your finds in 2015 be of the ‘just what we wanted’ and mouse free variety x

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 8:46 pm - Reply

It’s serious now. Nibbling my bulbs was bad enough. They are NOT sharing my house.

2. countrysidetales January 6, 2015 at 12:49 pm - Reply

House elves?

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 8:48 pm - Reply

Will they sort out the mice for me?

3. Marian St.Clair January 6, 2015 at 12:52 pm - Reply

How lucky to find the wood. Someone’s on your side, though it doesn’t seem to be the Mouse King.

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 8:52 pm - Reply

It was a good find for sure. At least the boards will all be the same size now and hopefully the colour not too far off.

4. Karen January 6, 2015 at 1:19 pm - Reply

Well done on the wood find RD. Alas mice are never on their own. I’m hoping squirrels are as we’ve one in our loft. Hubby is sourcing a humane trap. I’m not sure how he’s gonna manage if there’s more than 1!

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 8:56 pm - Reply

Oh squirrels! They are just as bad. You’ll need to transport it/them a long way from the house once caught… it’s two miles for a mouse, not sure about squirrels. Otherwise they’ll just come back!

5. paxton3 January 6, 2015 at 1:44 pm - Reply

Ooh I envy you a study. The floors will be worth it, even if the mouse(s) have other ideas.
    Have a good week!
    Leanne xx

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:01 pm - Reply

The study is what used to be a small bedroom. Himself has one too. So now we have a one bedroomed house..

6. Cumbrian January 6, 2015 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Still not got a cat then?

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:02 pm - Reply

😉

7. Vintage Jane January 6, 2015 at 2:01 pm - Reply

I do admire your perseverance in finding the right floorboards.
    Good luck with the mouse!

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:05 pm - Reply

I want to do the renovation right. Even though it’s taking sooooooo long! Doors are the next thing.. salvage yard owners should be rubbing their hands together in glee.

8. Amy at love made my home January 6, 2015 at 2:07 pm - Reply

Well I am glad that you got the boards thing worked out, I hope they look wonderful when they are finished. I hope too that you can sort out the squeaky issue! xx

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:09 pm - Reply

Now you have me worried… do you think the boards might squeak too?

9. Mark and Gaz January 6, 2015 at 2:29 pm - Reply

Great to hear you found the right floorboards Jessica, they’re going to look great!

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:18 pm - Reply

I don’t know how we ever managed without the internet..

10. Anne Wheaton January 6, 2015 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Wretched mice. Our plumber always screws down the floorboards whenever they’re taken up so that they’re easy to take up the next time (alas there usually is a next time for something) and as our boards are stained with walnut stuff then the screws don’t notice. But, I’m not a perfectionist and would happily have put up with mismatched floorboards in my haste to get everything finished, so I’m mightily impressed by your diligence. Does one of your floorboards bear the roman numerals marked on the top of the beam?

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Sadly they cut off that bit… it would have been rather a good feature wouldn’t it? In our previous house the beams still bore the original builders marks etched into the wood.

11. justjilluk January 6, 2015 at 3:02 pm - Reply

Get a cat!

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:27 pm - Reply

There are too many mice. The kitchen floor would be constantly littered with partially eaten corpses. Not a pleasant thought.

12. Janet/Plantaliscious January 6, 2015 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Great find on the floorboard side, not such a great find on the mousey side… Ah well, swings and roundabouts. Good luck with the decorating. And the mouse trapping…

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:33 pm - Reply

Current tally… 52 mice. These are the first indoors though.

13. Sue@GLAllotments January 6, 2015 at 3:35 pm - Reply

It must be that time of year as my sister can hear mice on the ceiling space and we have even caught a small rat”

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:36 pm - Reply

I always thought mice hibernate. It seems not.

14. Crafty Gardener January 6, 2015 at 3:47 pm - Reply

It’s an ongoing battle with shoes “mooses in the hooses” We use traps in the back basement and little bags of food up in the attic to stay on top of them.

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:39 pm - Reply

Never had a problem with mice before here, making up for it now!

15. Denise January 6, 2015 at 4:03 pm - Reply

Bravo, that woman, for sourcing the floorboards! Your tenacity is to be applauded. (Clap, clap, clappity, clap clap…hurrah!)

And I am with Cumbrian and justjilluk – gather a cat to your family – a girl cat because, in my experience, they are better hunters. All my boy cats have been lazy dollops on that front, but girl cats – well!! I would send Flora Bijou Mybug across for a visit, but could you cope with her perched on your shoulder every morning grooming your ears?

Go on…you know you want to/ have to / must do (delete as applicable.)

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:44 pm - Reply

I have thought about it often but in the end decided not. The purring on the lap and ear grooming is one thing, partially deceased rodents littering the house is another.

16. Kris P January 6, 2015 at 4:52 pm - Reply

Yikes, mice! Renovating an old house certainly poses difficulties – a series of them obviously. Congratulations on your find (the wood) and good luck ridding yourself of the pests.

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:48 pm - Reply

It is frustrating but ultimately satisfying. Even though there’s no paint on the walls yet I can see how it’s going to look. That makes it worthwhile.

17. Jennifer January 6, 2015 at 4:56 pm - Reply

Oh, what a pain in the neck. Mice! Odd-sized floorboards. I don’t enjoy home renovations at all but your attitude seems more positive than mine ever is and it sounds like you have it all under control. The floor is going to be beautiful! I’m so excited to see your progress.

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:52 pm - Reply

I certainly don’t enjoy it at the time. It is one of those things, like childbirth I am told, that you forget about after the event. So much so that you end up doing it over and over again!

18. Em January 6, 2015 at 5:09 pm - Reply

You need a terrier! That’s why we got Snippet in the first place. There’s nothing like an old stinky t-shirt that your trusty terrier has been filthy-snoozing on for a week to deter your mousy friends. X

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 9:56 pm - Reply

Snippet doesn’t seem in the slightest bit wiffy to me..

19. Helen Johnstone January 6, 2015 at 5:30 pm - Reply

My parents never got rid if the mice in their old house. They used to lay traps but couldn’t keep up with them. The mice seemed to prefer the ceiling area over the guest bedroom so they hit upon a truce, the only person affected was me when I visited and had to listen to their nightly tap dancing escapades.

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 10:01 pm - Reply

I think that is the way we are going too. We’ll never be free of them. If they refrain from doing damage they’ll get left alone. I do need to find a way of mouse proofing the greenhouse though. Especially having seen the price of snowdrop bulbs today..

20. Alain January 6, 2015 at 5:32 pm - Reply

One year, when the house was a summer house, we came back in the spring to find that mice had made a nest between the sheets under the blankets in a bed! I am sure they spent a good winter. We learned to strip beds before you go!

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 10:02 pm - Reply

That is really taking the biscuit.

21. Brian Skeys January 6, 2015 at 5:32 pm - Reply

I would go with the terrier, cats catch too many birds, or a collie to round up the sheep!
    The wooden floor will look great when its finished.

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 10:06 pm - Reply

You are right about the birds. The collie is an inspired idea!

22. SeagullSuzie January 6, 2015 at 7:09 pm - Reply

Your floor project sounds and looks amazing, can’t wait to see the finished photos. No mice in this house but they are in the garden.

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 10:09 pm - Reply

I hope the floor works out. Apart from the cost it’s all the time taken up with looking for these things. But it’s the first room we’ve done, apart from the kitchen, and I do want to get it right.

23. Freda January 6, 2015 at 7:45 pm - Reply

I admire your commitment and envy your energy! As to the mice – someone told us by setting traps indoors we were inviting them in! But we have a tame robin so can’t set traps around the outside of the house as was suggested. We’ve not had so many this year….Country living eh?

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 10:14 pm - Reply

If they are in already then that’s the only way to get rid of them surely?

24. young at heart January 6, 2015 at 8:36 pm - Reply

oooh don’t talk to me about matching floor boards….but that’s a whole other story…..good luck and happy new year!!

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 10:15 pm - Reply

Happy New Year to you too!

25. Julie January 6, 2015 at 8:58 pm - Reply

I admire your lateral thinking for a floorboard solution, that must of been a real yehaa moment. I replied to one of your posts a few weeks ago saying I almost wish I had a squirrel, after seeing your video of a squirrel deterrent. We have one now, I wish I hadn’t wished for him, he eats and eats. Therefore I having nothing to say about your Mouse!

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 10:22 pm - Reply

Oh no! Squirrels look very cute but they really are a nuisance. They have started fighting here, Spring must be in the air. There were four at the last count. And many more mice, don’t ever wish for those!

26. Dorothy @ The Nature of Things January 6, 2015 at 9:13 pm - Reply

Ah, the perils of renovation/redecoration! Your persistence certainly paid off in matching the floorboards. I’m sure it will pay off in handling the meese as well!

• Jessica January 6, 2015 at 10:24 pm - Reply

That one may take a little longer!

27. CherryPie January 6, 2015 at 10:52 pm - Reply

The floor boards are looking good 🙂

But you need to give those pesky mice a stiff talking to!!

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 10:00 am - Reply

They listen, make to go away and then come back with reinforcements!

28. Amy January 6, 2015 at 11:52 pm - Reply

Oh dear! I am coming to the conclusion that mice are simply “out there”. We have the other side of the problem from you. Last spring we picked up a young, abandoned dog and (inevitably!) kept her. Betty is in many ways a wonderful dog, and/but she has also turned into a redoutable mouser. I didn’t even know we had any Norway rats in the neighborhood, but she’s caught something that looks very like it as well as plenty of mice. She doesn’t just catch them on our property either; she spends hours hunting down in the wash a quarter mile away. She has, however, learned that we do NOT like it when she brings them home. She discreetly leaves them just outside the yard or takes them away when we find her carrying one in… Eek! However, gates are now going up so in future her hunting will be limited to the yard! Curiously, I have no problem with anything eating my plants now 😉
    That search for the floorboards is impressive – as the final result will be, I’m sure!

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 10:03 am - Reply

Oh crikey, I didn’t know dogs did it as well. But if she was abandoned in the desert for any length of time hunting must have become second nature.

29. Beth @ PlantPostings January 7, 2015 at 2:25 am - Reply

I had to chuckle at your comments about cats. That would be my fix, too. You might be surprised at how they scare the mice away–even before the mice enter your home. We have two cats, and we’ve never had mice inside. We do occasionally have mice up at our cottage–a much tighter house, but no cats live there. Anyway, your floor is going to look fabulous when it’s done! Congrats on finding the matching boards!

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 10:08 am - Reply

I don’t have anything against cats, it’s just that I wouldn’t want one of my own. I love meeting up with feline companions in friends’ houses! Maybe we’ll have to rethink it if the mice continue to be a problem.

30. Suzanne January 7, 2015 at 3:17 am - Reply

That’s the trouble in winter. They can’t be outside eating your bulbs so they have found a nice warm place to vacation for a few months.
    We too have had an influx of the little beasts. We lost an outbuilding to a fire in November and all the dreaded creatures that scurried out there came in the house to find shelter. I have bought those electrical what nots that emit high frequency sounds that the mice hate. I thought they worked but just this evening I and the terriers heard the scratch,scratch chew in the living room wall.
    Only one thing worse than rodents in the house. Terriers that know there are rodents in the house.
    I hope you get several more chalk marks soon.

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 10:17 am - Reply

The outhouse fire sounds a bit dramatic, I hope you were able to save whatever was inside it at least. Yes, I could imagine that would drive the dogs crazy. And how will you get the mice out?

• Suzanne January 8, 2015 at 1:57 pm - Reply

I will get another one of those electronic things for the living room. Hopefully it will drive the little bugger back out the way he came.
        The out building was as large as our house. It was a garage, storage, music room and a room my son lived in. We were able to save the cars, motorcycles and some tool boxes on wheels. Everything else was lost including the structure. No one was hurt and we can move on. It was just stuff, all replaceable.

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 6:30 pm - Reply

A fire that big must have been terrifying and I’m sorry for your loss. The important thing is that you are all safe.

31. Jayne Hill January 7, 2015 at 8:38 am - Reply

Congrats on sourcing the timber, that’s an excellent result. As for the rodents – like us, you are never going to completely eradicate the problem (sigh), but at least indoors you don’t have to worry about hiding the traps under flowerpots! (which I must start doing again, there must be a whole commune of the little buggers living near the bird feeders)

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 10:28 am - Reply

Funnily enough, I’d just been thinking about the flowerpots again. There are more entrance holes appearing in the terrace beds. Going to run out of chalk mark space at this rate. Might need to get a bigger board!

32. CJ January 7, 2015 at 10:56 am - Reply

Eek, But on the positive side, you’re making a beautiful job of that floor, I can tell it will be gorgeous and very well worth all of the effort. CJ xx

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 10:32 am - Reply

Thanks CJ. I hope so, it was such a nice surprise to find the floor under the carpet. It’ll be great if we can restore it back to its former glory.

33. Joanne January 7, 2015 at 11:23 am - Reply

I’m so glad you found your boards, it must of been very frustrating for you. The floor will look wonderful when completed.

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 3:24 pm - Reply

I did think it was going to be hard matching them up, so we got the best we could in the circumstances. Once they are sanded and stained they should look a whole lot better.

34. Jenny January 7, 2015 at 11:27 am - Reply

Well done on finding the boards – sounds like you went on quite an adventure to find them, and ending up with older wood will hopefully help them settle in really nicely with your originals.

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 3:27 pm - Reply

I hope it means they will be less inclined to warp as well, but the beam wasn’t completely under cover so letting them dry out over Christmas has been no bad thing.

35. Jo January 7, 2015 at 12:35 pm - Reply

Oh no, you don’t want them invading the house now, they’re bad enough in the garden. Glad you managed to find the boards you needed, it’ll look fab when it’s done.

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 3:37 pm - Reply

They are bad enough in the garden, it looks like they’ve been trying to dig the bulbs up but so far the cages have stopped them!

36. woolythymes January 7, 2015 at 2:13 pm - Reply

you WILL be victorious!!!! I just know it!!!!

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 3:40 pm - Reply

I wish I was as confident!

37. Cathy January 7, 2015 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Love hearing your adventures, Jessica! If you are looking for any reclamation stuff in the future do email me as I can check in our friendly ‘yard’ for you. On the moose front, I woke up a week or two before Christmas to hear a rustling in our bedroom and knew immediately a visitor had found the chocolate coins destined for Christmas stockings!

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 3:45 pm - Reply

Thanks Cathy, I will! I’m writing from the passenger seat of a big white van on the M5 with three old doors in the back… It’s getting addictive.
      It has to be the nuclear option when they start stealing chocolate..

38. Vera January 7, 2015 at 3:56 pm - Reply

We get the patter of little feet quite frequently. Last week we had a visitor, and I was soooo irritated by the nuisance of having to put poison down again, that I yelled at full voice something like: “get out of my house you ‘orrid ******* thing”, and then banged the shelves behind which the mouse / rat was parked with an old metal saucepan. Seemed to work. Must have given it one hell of a fright because we haven’t heard it since! Love those floor boards. They will be worth all the effort.

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 3:53 pm - Reply

It seems to be part of the price we pay for living out in the sticks Vera. Just as well there are other compensations.

39. rachel January 7, 2015 at 4:11 pm - Reply

I’ll watch your progress with great interest, Jessica – we have hugely damaged boards in this house, with patches of nasty soft modern planking or acres of bouncy plywood – such a disappointing discovery when we took up the swirly beige nylon carpet! I fear our budget won’t stretch to proper restoration – there comes a point with these old houses when it is cheaper to move – but I do yearn for a beautiful old floor! Good luck with yours.

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 4:01 pm - Reply

The rest of the upstairs seems to boarded with more modern wood, another reason I wanted to rescue this floor if we could. It’s as well to know when to stop, I saw a beautiful front door today for almost £1000, we could spend an absolute fortune on renovation and never get it back when we move.

40. islandthreads January 7, 2015 at 4:18 pm - Reply

oh dear Jessica, my like for this post is the success with the floorboards not the moose, I marvel are your patience in tracking floorboards, there isn’t one here but I think the thing with salvage yards is right place right time, it is always going to be pot luck, glad you found some wood suitable, hope the mice are just a couple of strays looking for winter lodgings and you get the other one, Frances

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 4:08 pm - Reply

It’s quite fun poking around the yards though, amazing what you find. It could become quite a hobby. The other mouse seems to have gone strangely quiet. Perhaps it reads the blog.

41. Anna January 7, 2015 at 4:34 pm - Reply

My sympathies Jessica – we have meeces in the house too – they have been frolicking about in the attic and their presence came to light when we had a new boiler installed in November. I am thankful for small mercies as it could be squirrels. I’m pleased to read that you struck gold with the floorboards. Our dining room floor is made from boards that came from the Liverpool School Of Tropical Medicine. For years I lived in fear that a gigantic poisonous insect might emerge from them.

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 4:16 pm - Reply

It’s good that we’re able to reuse things like this and be able to ponder about all that has happened to them in a previous life.. tropical insects excepted!

42. Cathy January 7, 2015 at 5:50 pm - Reply

Clearly not a cat-lover Jessica! When we arrived here it took just a week for our cats to sort the infestation out. They don’t tend to leave the bodies – they eat them, or I throw them over the balcony. Your floorboards are just lovely … I agree with Rachel above when she says sometimes it seems it would be cheaper to move!

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 4:21 pm - Reply

Cats are fine. I’m sure if I had one I’d get extremely attached to it. That’s part of the problem actually. I hope your own restoration is going well. It could well be cheaper to move, but not nearly as satisfying.

43. Charlie@Seattle Trekker January 7, 2015 at 6:41 pm - Reply

Searching for the special wood for your floor is one of those really amazing journeys. I always find that the people I meet, involved in recycled materials, are always so interesting. Looking back on tasks like your flooring project it is always the people I remember so fondly.

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 4:32 pm - Reply

Always very interesting. It’s fascinating to hear the stories of where some of these objects have come from. One of the places we visited has an actual Russian tank!

44. Sarah January 7, 2015 at 8:02 pm - Reply

The new floor boards look good, we have lots of breeze blocks you could have had! It didn’t take long for the animals to make their presence known in the new year! We have found since moving to the country that there is more unwelcome wildlife in the house and garden. Putting Tavi out a few weeks ago I startled a huge rat sitting close to the back door! Sarah x

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 4:35 pm - Reply

It does seem to be the case Sarah. And given the attitude of all of them I get the distinct impression that it is us invading their territory, not the other way round.

45. threadspider January 7, 2015 at 8:46 pm - Reply

Congrats on your success with the floorboards – it’s going to be good when it’s done. Less good about the mice, though. We have “big mice” this winter – even noisier and creepier. Thinking about the terrier solution. It would help with the mole/rabbit/pheasant problems too..

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 4:43 pm - Reply

I have heard things scuttling about under one of the outhouses that sound like they have very big feet. Oh no, not moles in your lovely lawn! As long as the terrier didn’t dig an even bigger hole in the effort to rout Mr Mole out.

46. elaine January 7, 2015 at 10:22 pm - Reply

I hate those meeces to pieces will be your epitaph. The floor is going to look great when it’s finished – a lot more work to come though.

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 4:45 pm - Reply

Or words to that effect!

47. Sarah Shoesmith January 8, 2015 at 6:48 am - Reply

The floor will be fab! We spent many years pootling around salvage merchants doing up old houses. Thankfully the 16th century farmhouse we did had been left untouched (there weren’t even loos), so that involved no tours of the salvage merchants and the accompanying accidental purchases of pews etc. Good luck with the mice: I believe they are particularly partial to chocolate, although I can’t advise on flavours.

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 4:52 pm - Reply

Love the sound of your old farmhouse, what a find! Chocolate is far too good to waste on a mouse, unless somebody had given me orange flavour. They would be welcome to that.

48. snowbird January 8, 2015 at 11:58 am - Reply

Wonderful that you found those boards, it would have been a shame to have to match up with modern ones. You would think your mice would get the hint wouldn’t you?xxx

• Jessica January 8, 2015 at 6:20 pm - Reply

No chance! I saw one peeping out at me from underneath the boot scraper, right by the back door. Just waiting its moment I’ll bet.

49. Jane and Lance Hattatt January 9, 2015 at 6:01 pm - Reply

Hello Jessica,

How well we remember from our days in the Herefordshire countryside things which went scratch, rustle and bump in the night. So much wildlife to contend with and our two cats had a whale of a time playing with the intruders rather than catching them. We sympathise with your predicament but feel that little mousey and his friends are rather preferable to batty and his band of brothers who lived in our roof.

The floorboards will be wonderful.

Wishing you all peace and joy for 2015. Thank you for the kind messages which you have left for us.

• Jessica January 9, 2015 at 7:44 pm - Reply

You’re very welcome. It’s good to see you back and rested after your holiday.
      Bats pose a different problem again. At least I can take action against the mice.

50. sustainablemum January 12, 2015 at 10:06 am - Reply

They moved into our house one Christmas when we were away for a couple of weeks. Made themselves right at home……..they are in our loft we can hear them, more so in the summer than winter. We have boxed everything of any value up there and just live with them, they are really difficult to get rid of completely!

• Jessica January 12, 2015 at 11:38 pm - Reply

I hope the boxes are strong, they chew through anything. Because of the thatch we were advised to have any electrical cabling replaced with armoured.. It’s not a place you want a fire to start.