Blooming March

Trillium kurabayashii 002 Wm[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=

Trillium kurabayashii

This has to be my favourite woodland plant.

100% increase in flowers over last year.

That means a sum total of..  two.

It may take a while to build up a decent clump, but definitely worth the wait.

Forsythia 001 Wm[1]

Forsythia

For those of us in the UK, this last week has brought Spring sunshine and much needed warmth.

Narcissus 001 Wm[1]

Narcissus

Everything has come on in leaps and bounds and suddenly the garden is full of daffodils. It is still the miniatures and the species that I look forward to most of all, but whatever this (inherited) hybrid is it does have its charms.

Hellebore 019 Wm[1]

Hellebore (Harvington Reds)

This will surely be the last month I will be showing hellebores, but they haven’t done badly since we started in December. New leaves are now emerging on most of the plants, I hope it means they are establishing themselves on the woodland floor.

Epimedium 003 Wm[1]

Epimedium x versicolour ‘Sulphureum’

As the hellebores fade, my growing collection of Epimedium have begun to throw up their delicate yellow sprays.

Muscari 001 Wm[1]

Muscari

Grape hyacinths

Primula 003 Wm[1]

Primula vulgaris

Wild primroses now carpet the garden. And grow up in the lawn..

Camellia 004 Wm[1]

Camellia (inherited, variety unknown)

Saxifraga Touran Lime Green 002 Wm[1]

Saxifraga Touran Lime Green

Erica 004 Wm[1]

Erica

I’m not a great fan of heathers, but love the depth of colour on this one.

Butterfly on Erica 001 Wm[1]

Butterflies have no such concern for fashion.

If you look closely you can see this one feeding, drinking up the nectar with its long proboscis.

Chaenomeles 001 Wm[3]

Chaenomeles

Mahonia 003 Wm[1]

Mahonia

And finally, as has become tradition, this month’s purchase..

Tulip humilis 'Helena' 001 Wm[1]

Tulip humilis ‘Helena’

A diminutive species a mere 15cms high.

Another bulb.

And another cage needed to defeat those wretched mice..

Linking to Carol and Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens, where you will find other March bloomers from around the world.

[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]

2017-10-24T19:32:52+00:00 March 15th, 2014|Tags: |

1. islandthreads March 15, 2014 at 8:20 am - Reply

Jessica a lovely collection of beautiful blooms, Frances

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 6:20 pm - Reply

Thanks Frances. Spring has come in with a bang over the last few days. I just hope we’ve seen the end of winter now.

2. Anna March 15, 2014 at 8:23 am - Reply

That trillium has both stunning foliage and flower colour Jessica – I could look at it all day 🙂

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 6:47 pm - Reply

It is a beauty for sure. I’d have more if I wouldn’t have to rob a bank first.

3. countrysidetales March 15, 2014 at 8:26 am - Reply

We had an identical Camellia to your reddy/pinky one but it seems to have died. The butterfly is a Comma (from the white mark under the wing)- a success story because their numbers are growing. They hibernate as adults and wake up in March, hence the appearance of your one now:-)

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 7:00 pm - Reply

I knew I could rely on you for butterfly ID. Thanks, I didn’t know what it was! The garden seems to be full of butterflies all of a sudden, lots of yellow ones too 🙂

• countrysidetales March 15, 2014 at 7:45 pm - Reply

The yellows will likely be boy Brimstones (they also hibernate as adults). The original ‘butter-fly’ 🙂

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 8:50 pm - Reply

Thanks CT! There do seem to be many more around this year, I guess the mild winter has helped them. Can’t be bad.

4. Mark and Gaz March 15, 2014 at 9:08 am - Reply

What a lovely selection of spring blooms! Trilliums are so slow to bulk in our garden but worth persevering with seeing their beautiful forms in the spring.

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 7:03 pm - Reply

I bought a white one at the same time, but alas that did not survive. I’m thinking of having a go from seed, although I gather they’re tricky.

5. Sue@GLAllotments March 15, 2014 at 9:23 am - Reply

I like heathers in the right place but I haven’t a right place in may garden

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 7:17 pm - Reply

The ones I inherited tumble over the top of walls and look OK, I shall definitely keep them. Although they need a bit of remedial pruning as they’ve got rather untidy.

6. Cumbrian March 15, 2014 at 9:41 am - Reply

Your knowledge of flowers really impresses me.

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 7:21 pm - Reply

Thanks Cumbrian. I am only just learning about woodland plants, but they are fascinating. It’s their best season right now, before the canopy closes over and robs the understorey of light.

7. haggiz March 15, 2014 at 9:46 am - Reply

The trilliums seem almost prehistoric I don’t know if it is how they look or their name. The colour of that camellia is beautiful. I have forsythia in the garden… used to hate it but love it now for bringing indoors with a bunch of daffs I have a couple of bunches around the house this morning x

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 7:24 pm - Reply

It’s not one of my favourites I have to confess. I just loved the yellow against the wonderful blue sky when we took the picture. I have removed one forsythia shrub already. The survivor stands where a sitting area will one day be..

8. Pauline March 15, 2014 at 10:27 am - Reply

Lots of lovely blooms, especially your Trillium. We used to have forsythia, but dug it up when the bullfinches were eating all the flower buds, now we just enjoy everyone else’s!

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 7:28 pm - Reply

I’d much prefer to have the bullfinches to the forsythia.. so hope they didn’t get the hump!

9. Crafty Gardener March 15, 2014 at 12:00 pm - Reply

Finally some well deserved warmer weather for you. The trillium is gorgeous, please show us when it opens. I’ve got bloom envy with all your gorgeous blooms for spring.

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 7:37 pm - Reply

All your Spring delights are still to come. Soon… I hope!

10. Denise March 15, 2014 at 1:30 pm - Reply

I am amazed how quickly the forsythia has emerged in my neck of the woods this year. One day, tight buds – the next day – ‘Pouff! Voila!’ Mind you, we’ve had some smashing sunshine this week. Positively tropical!

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 7:40 pm - Reply

It was very warm indeed today. My gardening trousers are falling apart at the knees. Was tempted to get the scissors out and turn them into shorts..

11. francesca kay March 15, 2014 at 1:54 pm - Reply

Your photographs are wonderful. The colours on the trillium leaves are amazing!

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 7:46 pm - Reply

Thanks Francesca. Those leaves are just wonderful, and look perfect against the brown detritus of the woodland floor. A couple of years ago I never imagined I could get so excited about shade!

12. ournewlifeinthecountry March 15, 2014 at 2:07 pm - Reply

I have the same Narcissus as you, I just call them ‘Scruffy Daffs’, I have no idea what they really are. If you can’t eat it I don’t bother to learn it’s name …. I’m a veggie grower through and through 🙂

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 7:47 pm - Reply

Scruffy Daffs sounds good to me!

13. AnnetteM March 15, 2014 at 3:31 pm - Reply

I love all your photos, but especially the top heather one. Do you use a tripod to get such a sharp image?

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 8:43 pm - Reply

Thanks Annette. Yes, always use a tripod when we can. Some of these images still took many attempts, low light and breeze being the main issues.

14. Dorothy Borders March 15, 2014 at 3:34 pm - Reply

Oh my, such wonderful images. I am very envious – both of your blooms and your photography. Just lovely.

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 8:15 pm - Reply

Thank you Dorothy, and welcome to rusty duck.
      It’s been a harsh winter all round. We are all ready for a bit of Spring weather now. There’s been an explosion of new growth here in the last week, but it’s way to early to say there will be no more frost.

15. Alison March 15, 2014 at 4:18 pm - Reply

That Trillium is really stunning! I love the heather too, but for some reason they don’t do well for me. Happy GBBD!

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 8:21 pm - Reply

The heathers have been blooming for a couple of months now. It is nice to have the colour in the winter I must admit. I am trying to reduce their height, little by little, they have become rather straggly.

16. rachel March 15, 2014 at 4:23 pm - Reply

Beautiful photographs! I can remember the first time I ever saw a trillium – what stunning plants they are.

That warm snap bypassed us entirely – we had very cold fog for two days, while two miles up the road – sunshine! Today I have washing out, and actually drying – feels miraculous.

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 8:26 pm - Reply

Thanks Rachel. It’s been wonderful today. It’s amazing how soil can go from being totally waterlogged to solid and cracking up in such a short space of time. I could have done with a couple of 48 hour days in the middle of last week. The perils of gardening on clay.

17. linda March 15, 2014 at 5:14 pm - Reply

The only word for this…is…spectacular!
    I do envy your spring blooms….very beautiful!
    And…yes…please follow the trilliums progress…I have never seen such great foliage on one…but, would love to see the flower…
    Enjoy your weekend…we are melting….AGAIN!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 8:31 pm - Reply

Well, I just hope you stay melted now! Thanks Linda 🙂

18. CherryPie March 15, 2014 at 5:22 pm - Reply

Oooh! Lots of colour, very inspiring 🙂

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 8:31 pm - Reply

Thanks Cherie. What a difference a week makes.

19. elaine March 15, 2014 at 6:32 pm - Reply

Trilliums are very other-worldly aren’t they. A lovely collection is spring flowers.

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 8:37 pm - Reply

They are. It really needs a big clump of them to get the full effect, which I saw in a garden in Cornwall last year. One day..

20. Chloris March 15, 2014 at 6:42 pm - Reply

Lovely spring flowers and excellent photos. Is that gorgeous Trillium really early or does it always bloom at this time of the year? Mine are no where near ready to bloom.

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 8:39 pm - Reply

I looked back at last year’s March Bloomers and it was out then too, so it must be its normal time.

21. Wendy March 15, 2014 at 7:37 pm - Reply

Beautiful photos of your spring flowers. It’s good to hear that so many are spreading, too. And the photo of the comma is wonderful.

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 8:47 pm - Reply

Thanks Wendy. I snapped many photos of the comma. It seemed quite happy to carry on feeding, even with my camera lens stuck in its face!

22. CJ March 15, 2014 at 9:01 pm - Reply

Trilliums are so exotic looking, wonderful. I love the camellia as well. I’ve got a couple of tiny plants that I’m hoping will do well, both white. You always have such a beautiful selection of flowers, at all times of the year. Your garden really is so full of interest.

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm - Reply

If you stood and looked at the garden your overall impression would be of green. And brown. And weeds! The jewels are there but there’s a lot more work to do. I have tried taking cuttings from camellias, to increase my two plants. Dismal failure so far..

23. Cathy March 15, 2014 at 9:19 pm - Reply

Great photos, Jessica – I really need to pull my photography socks up!

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 9:51 pm - Reply

Thanks Cathy. I think it’s because I changed the format of the blog and made the photos bigger. Perhaps too big now, there’s no half way house unfortunately.

24. angiesgardendiaries March 15, 2014 at 9:36 pm - Reply

I read every single word, studied every image – apart from the first one that is! I think I’ve lost my one and only – no sign of it 🙁
    Good to see that everything is moving in the right direction Jessica. That’s a very pretty Epimedium – one I’ll need to look out for. Happy Bloom Day 🙂

• Jessica March 15, 2014 at 9:59 pm - Reply

I lost a white Trillium, despite having protected it (above ground) with a chicken wire cage. A real bummer because it was lovely. And expensive.
      Epimediums were my obsession last year, still are. Hard to resist when I see them at plant fairs.

25. woolythymes March 16, 2014 at 12:52 am - Reply

i can’t believe all that beauty is around you already!!! my hellebores are just barely peeking out of their dead debris. In fact, I’m so starved for spring blooms that i broke down today and KNIT some. (That’s desperate, my friend!)

• Jessica March 16, 2014 at 9:44 pm - Reply

Given how skilled you are I’m sure they are perfect. And practical too… nothing eats them (well, maybe Freddy) and you can enjoy them all through next winter!

26. SeagullSuzie March 16, 2014 at 9:48 am - Reply

Oh your garden is full of beautiful flowers. Like you heathers are not my favourite but the bumble bees love them and it was a source of food before other things had really started.

• Jessica March 16, 2014 at 9:45 pm - Reply

The bumble bees do love them, they were buzzing all round when I took the picture.

27. Jane @Hoehoegrow March 16, 2014 at 1:50 pm - Reply

Fabulous photos ! I love the forsythia against that blue, blue sky! The Trillium is spectacular, there is something very special about them as they are so fleeting.

• Jessica March 16, 2014 at 9:48 pm - Reply

I love trilliums. Maybe if I were to get one new one a year that wouldn’t be overly excessive?

28. Dorothy March 16, 2014 at 6:27 pm - Reply

It looks as though spring has arrived in your garden! The colors look so fresh, especially the forsythia and narcissus. I don’t know if triillium would grow here because our climate is so dry, but I love the woodland look of the plant. Bulb season is just finishing up here, and I’m anxiously waiting for the roses and clematis to come in to bloom. Happy Bloom Day!

• Jessica March 16, 2014 at 9:52 pm - Reply

You are well ahead of us Dorothy. I’ve only just pruned the roses, so it will be awhile yet. I shall look forward to seeing yours!

29. Jo March 16, 2014 at 7:03 pm - Reply

What a wonderful collection of blooms for March. I love native primroses, so delicate looking, simple and pretty.

• Jessica March 16, 2014 at 9:53 pm - Reply

They are beautiful aren’t they. The Devon banks are beginning to turn pale yellow now!

30. Amy at love made my home March 16, 2014 at 7:35 pm - Reply

Everything looks beautiful! Here’s hoping for a trillion trilliums next year! xx

• Jessica March 16, 2014 at 9:55 pm - Reply

Thanks Amy. I’d happily have a trillion trilliums, but the garden might look a bit boring for the rest of the year!

31. Caro March 16, 2014 at 7:55 pm - Reply

One bonus of catching up with posts later on is that I get to read all the comments as well – interesting to read that you use a tripod to get your splendid photos – it takes perseverance to get really good shots, a quality you’ve obviously got in spades! Epimedium flowers are so tiny but really pretty, never noticed that until recently … and, whooops!, there’s a plant fair coming up at Wisley soon!

• Jessica March 16, 2014 at 10:00 pm - Reply

Oooh, I do miss living close to Wisley. Luckily there’s a Spring plant fair at Rosemoor too..
      I don’t enjoy the faffing about with the tripod, especially if you have to get to inaccessible places, but it does make a difference.

32. Em March 16, 2014 at 8:09 pm - Reply

Sp pleased you’ve increased the picture size; it makes such a difference. They look absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Very envious of the Trillium and if you’re very lucky you might have three next year. x

• Jessica March 16, 2014 at 10:04 pm - Reply

Last year the Trillium kept going quite a while.. you may get to see it? Although Ptolemy has found it already, so maybe not. It could work for you, they like shade.

33. Helen Johnstone March 16, 2014 at 9:35 pm - Reply

Lovely pics. I have a trillium which has managed two flowers over three years, very slow but still a thrill

• Jessica March 16, 2014 at 10:12 pm - Reply

They do seem to be very slow growing. I am tempted to try seed. It may also take a while, but the chance of building up a decent clump.

34. Helene March 17, 2014 at 1:02 am - Reply

Your spring garden looks lovely, Your two Trillium kurabayashii are beautiful, a bit of patience and they will soon get lots of babies 🙂 I bought a Trillium grandiflorium a few weeks ago, I hope it will spread a bit quicker than my cuneatums have done, but in 10 years I now have a good size clump.
    Your double narcissus are lovely, every year I see them on people’s blogs and think I will buy some in the autumn – and then I forget about it.

• Jessica March 17, 2014 at 10:53 am - Reply

Thanks Helene. I am the same with dwarf irises, every year I forget!

35. julieadolf March 17, 2014 at 2:22 am - Reply

Oh, trillium…my absolute favorite. Ours, too, seems to take forever to establish, but I love them so much. We seem to be about on the same schedule with our blooms, and I’m anxiously awaiting the species tulips I planted in the fall. Beautiful photos! Happy Bloom Day to you!

• Jessica March 17, 2014 at 11:37 am - Reply

Hi Julie, thanks and welcome to rusty duck.
      I have a feeling there will be more trillium introductions, they are rather hard to resist!

36. Suzanne Dutchess County, NY, USA March 17, 2014 at 3:00 am - Reply

Lovely shots! That trillium is very nice. Love the foliage on that one and the deep color on the flowers are so decadent. Still snow lingering here and unusually cold. The birds have begun to come back.
    Soon it will warm, I hope.

• Jessica March 17, 2014 at 11:39 am - Reply

The birds usually gauge it pretty well, I hope you get some warm weather too. Soon! It’s been a long hard winter for you guys.

37. Sigrun March 17, 2014 at 6:25 am - Reply

Wonderful spring impressions – I love the trillium, whereever I see it.

Sigrun

• Jessica March 17, 2014 at 11:54 am - Reply

Hello Sigrun, thanks and welcome to rusty duck.
      I think trillium and hellebore are the highlights of my year, perhaps also because they arrive at the start of it and there’s so much more still to come!

38. Linda@arichtapestry March 17, 2014 at 12:50 pm - Reply

I’ve enjoyed catching up on developments in your garden in early March. I’m envious of the variety of plants and quality of photographs. So much to appreciate this season with the promise of more to come, despite battles with your visiting creatures!

• Jessica March 17, 2014 at 6:45 pm - Reply

Thanks Linda. It’s my favourite time of year for just that reason. The promise of more to come, not the creatures!

39. Marian March 17, 2014 at 7:31 pm - Reply

O wow, so much bloom in your garden already! So great you have Trillium. That blue sky was really something after the grey and wet winter wasn’t it? I enjoyed it as well. Saxifraga in bloom already? Amazing! Love the variety in your garden. I wish…. but I have to do with what wants to thrive here and that isn’t much I’m afraid. Still I’m very happy with every little flower that appears 😉
    Marian

• Jessica March 17, 2014 at 9:46 pm - Reply

It’s been an awful winter Marian. Mild yes, but very grey and wet. And stormy. Every little bit of blue sky helps a lot! It won’t be long before I am envying your roses again. They don’t do well for me at all.

40. snowbird March 17, 2014 at 8:06 pm - Reply

What a woodland delight you are building…so many gorgeous blossoms to delight my tired eyes….just shows how a little sunshine brings them on. Oh you poor thing, fancy having to build cages for your bulbs….those mice eh….xxx

• Jessica March 17, 2014 at 9:47 pm - Reply

Those WRETCHED mice..

41. wherethejourneytakesme March 17, 2014 at 10:35 pm - Reply

Hi Jessica -my woodland walk at the cottage is definitely a few weeks behind you. Probably because we are so much further north. We were up there this last weekend and I have a few primroses, daffodils and crocus out but everything else is just on the verge of opening up or just pushing through the surface. I spent all day Saturday grovelling around in the undergrowth uncovering lots of new shoots and reducing the amount of pink campion (and yes sometimes you can have too much!)
    You have lovely pictures – my Camelia is an unknown pink one too!

• Jessica March 18, 2014 at 9:32 am - Reply

Pink campion is very good at seeding itself around… I’ve removed loads!

42. Natalie March 18, 2014 at 12:00 pm - Reply

That trillium is exquisite in every way! I just love it. Thank you for the beautiful spring flower photos. It gives me hope! This has been the longest, coldest winter in decades and it’s hard to believe spring will ever come. -21C this morning, and another 10 cm of snow on the way tomorrow. Much as I like winter, I’ve had enough. This post was a breath of fresh air!

• Jessica March 18, 2014 at 7:26 pm - Reply

I’ve only experienced that sort of temperature while on holiday in Scotland one year (-24C) and I know you’ve had it a lot lower than that. It’s time for Spring now. I hope your garden plants are similarly tenacious.

43. willisjw March 19, 2014 at 10:20 pm - Reply

I really like the detail in your photographs. That Saxifrage is a beauty and I’ll have to look for it. The full screen display is great for showing off the flowers.

• Jessica March 19, 2014 at 11:24 pm - Reply

Hi jw, thanks and welcome to rusty duck.
      The Saxifrage is a plant best appreciated through close inspection, I love the red flecks in the buds which I hadn’t noticed until this year. By lucky chance I put it on the top of a wall, at eye level, and I go back to it time and again!