Work In Progress

Partially Hidden Wm

It’s coming on.

The carcasses of the bookcase are done. The most difficult part of the job. It hasn’t been without trauma. But this morning we’ve started to re-assemble the sections and free up space in the room. In the nick of time too. The makeshift ‘spray booth’ was beginning to part company with the ceiling, although it’s done the job well.

Before the rain yesterday, Mike made a start on the shelves.

An end is in sight.

Priming shelves Wm

Maybe he’ll need some new jeans though, once the job is done?

2017-03-04T17:16:25+00:00 February 8th, 2013|Tags: |34 Comments

1. Em February 8, 2013 at 2:51 pm - Reply

As long as the spray booth isn’t bringing the ceiling down with it you’re doing well!

• Jessica February 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm - Reply

It doesn’t bear thinking about… !

2. haggiz February 8, 2013 at 3:02 pm - Reply

It looks a really good finish, well worth the trouble. Julie x

• Jessica February 8, 2013 at 3:09 pm - Reply

I hope so, thanks Julie x

3. Sue February 8, 2013 at 3:35 pm - Reply

Oh it will be so worth it, when all your books are lined up neatly in rows.

Love the jeans you would pay good money for some like that 🙂

• Jessica February 8, 2013 at 10:08 pm - Reply

Or cut them down and he can wear them again in the summer?

4. Vera February 8, 2013 at 5:29 pm - Reply

Great job!

• Jessica February 8, 2013 at 10:08 pm - Reply

Thanks Vera.

5. Anne February 8, 2013 at 6:35 pm - Reply

You could probably recoup the cost of the bookcases by selling the jeans on ebay!!

• Jessica February 8, 2013 at 10:09 pm - Reply

Hmmm. Perhaps we should sell them…

6. elaine February 8, 2013 at 10:45 pm - Reply

Looking forward to seeing them full of books.

• Jessica February 9, 2013 at 9:29 am - Reply

Me too.. and the job done. The house is in such a state!

7. Judith February 9, 2013 at 7:41 am - Reply

This is a real labour of love. I’m so impressed. Just waiting for mine to start on the kitchen chairs on his ” to do ” list.

• Jessica February 9, 2013 at 9:32 am - Reply

It’s certainly that. I’m sure the kitchen chairs will be the same. And worth the wait!

8. Vintage Jane February 9, 2013 at 8:40 am - Reply

It will all be worth it when he has finished. At lease you know he is doing the job properly, unlike the ‘epic’ builder that has just left us and my hubby is now sorting out all the things he didn’t do properly!

• Jessica February 9, 2013 at 9:39 am - Reply

Oh no. Reminds me of the plumber who just left us mid job, with pipes sticking out of the wall. Mike had to finish that off too. Where are the reliable tradesmen these days?

9. BadPenny February 9, 2013 at 9:09 am - Reply

oooh looking good !
    Husband has two pairs of jeans – work & home. Sometimes he wears the home ones to work… and gets nagged when he comes home !
    I talked to our painter about sticking a transfer on my kitchen wall. He pointed out that if I positioned it badly & needed to peel it off & start again… it would probably bring the plaster down with it !

• Jessica February 9, 2013 at 9:44 am - Reply

Be careful! This place has woodchip paper on virtually every wall (and some ceilings) which will do likewise. Every decorating job is going to be a nightmare. Plus the plaster is lime (or should be). We’ve considered going on a lime plastering course so we can do it ourselves and reduce some of the cost!

10. Rosie February 9, 2013 at 9:38 am - Reply

Looks like it has all been worth the extra work, they are going to look wonderful full of books. I bet you can’t wait for it all to be finished now:)

• Jessica February 9, 2013 at 9:46 am - Reply

You would bet right!!!!!

11. Wendy February 9, 2013 at 11:52 am - Reply

I’m guessing you’ll be pleased to get your bookcase finished when you’ve so many other projects to do in your house. It’ll be satisfying to tick it off the list!

• Jessica February 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm - Reply

It certainly will. The boxes full of books in front of the dining room fireplace can be shifted at last… and will clear the way for the next job. The fireplace is covered in black paint, and just to make life even more difficult, polyurethane varnish on top of that.

12. steph February 9, 2013 at 3:38 pm - Reply

my heart is with you—having JUST gone through a major painting venture!!! Not easy—-SOOOOO worth it!!! Can’t wait to see those books all lined up!

• Jessica February 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm - Reply

It isn’t easy is it. The pictures of your house in chaos felt oh so familiar! But yes, it will be worth it!

13. Simone February 9, 2013 at 4:35 pm - Reply

It’s been a mammoth task but it will all work out in the end!!!

• Jessica February 9, 2013 at 7:28 pm - Reply

It certainly has. But it is looking really good now, carpet back in place today. Just the rest of the shelves to do and I can start to get organised again!

14. Annie @ knitsofacto February 9, 2013 at 9:46 pm - Reply

I thought of you today, as I contemplated whether to commission the Mr to build the shelves in my new studio or take a trip to IKEA … I know, I know, but I’m impatient and I’m in a hurry!

And then I thought of you again as I tried to fit too many books into not enough bookcases having found a box of unshelved books when clearing the store room that will be my studio.

Can you tell I’m envying you the marvellous bookcases you are going to have!

• Jessica February 9, 2013 at 9:59 pm - Reply

I looked back today, on the blog, to when this all started. October 9th. Many, many times since I’ve thought of IKEA. On top of that there’s been the mess. And the dust. And the less than loving words… could you just go back and buy another one? Jx

15. Viv February 10, 2013 at 9:58 pm - Reply

Looking good and glad to see he has the good sense to wear some well ventilated jeans whilst using that spray gun he has obviously been reading the label on the tin – ‘use in a well ventilated place’
    Can’t wait to see the finished picture.

• Jessica February 10, 2013 at 10:27 pm - Reply

And in the process I have also discovered a brand new variety of snowdrop. 27 Parma Gray.
      Thanks Viv x

16. CherryPie February 10, 2013 at 11:33 pm - Reply

It sounds like everything is begining to come together 🙂

• Jessica February 11, 2013 at 9:31 am - Reply

Final push this week…

17. Josephine February 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm - Reply

Smooth as a baby’s bottom !
    A perfect finish, it’s all so ….lovely .

• Jessica February 11, 2013 at 9:32 am - Reply

Thanks Jo, just can’t wait to see it done now!