Riveting

Isn’t it always the way. I’d just finished making another curtain. And now they’re going to take a jackhammer to the floor directly behind it. The door into the lobby leads straight off the kitchen. It makes it difficult to get the room to feel cosy at night. So I decided to remedy the problem by covering it up, purchasing more of the fabric I’d used for roman blinds.

Blind Wm

Curtain Heading Wm

The curtain needed to be contemporary and minimal if it was going to fit in so I used rivets to hold the simple pleats in place.

It’s not as easy as it looks. The bruised fingertips prove it, but I think it does the job.

Curtain 2 Wm

Riveting

pin it?

2017-03-04T17:23:56+00:00 January 25th, 2013|Tags: |36 Comments

1. Em January 25, 2013 at 3:15 pm - Reply

Wow – what a fabulously neat job. I’m very impressed. Lovely fabric too – it looks great.

• Jessica January 25, 2013 at 6:36 pm - Reply

Thanks Em!

2. Susan Tattersall January 25, 2013 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Wowee – care to give a few hints on how to make Roman blinds like those.

• Jessica January 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm - Reply

A lot of internet research! There are plenty of sites that give instructions, so I combined what I thought were the best techniques from a few of them (I have a thing about not having stitching visible on the front of the blind). I also used a kit for hanging the blind, which includes all the rods, weight bars and cord.

Happy to help with more details if you have a particular project in mind. They’re relatively easy to make yourself and it saves quite a bit of money too.

3. Cumbrian January 25, 2013 at 3:54 pm - Reply

Brilliant solution.

• Jessica January 25, 2013 at 7:07 pm - Reply

Thanks Cumbrian!

4. Simone January 25, 2013 at 4:26 pm - Reply

A lovely neat finish to your curtains. I still haven’t started mine!!!

• Jessica January 25, 2013 at 7:09 pm - Reply

You must Simone, that fabric will look wonderful when it’s made up.

5. Anne January 25, 2013 at 4:42 pm - Reply

I love the rivets! I have two Roman blinds to make for my son and his girlfriend, and a cushion with a badger face (!) to make for one of their friends, so I guess the scrappy piecing will be put to one side next week. At least the work tables are clear ……

• Jessica January 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm - Reply

You are so lucky having a workroom Anne, clear or otherwise! I have a big piece of MDF on the dining room table. I hope you’ll publish a photo of the badger..

6. Denise January 25, 2013 at 4:57 pm - Reply

Oo Ihave just ordered some eyelet curtains
    oooooooh! What did you use? I will have to do something like this as the window is quite narrow. B&Q????????? Tell me more you trendsetter you!

• Jessica January 25, 2013 at 7:24 pm - Reply

If only it WAS B&Q!
      There is a metal prong that protrudes from the curtain ring into each pleat, and the rivets attach the curtain to it. I have to confess, the rings aren’t cheap. £9 each. Perhaps not so bad if you don’t need too many!
      This is the manufacturer’s link. They don’t sell direct, but there are suppliers on the internet.

7. Vera January 25, 2013 at 6:11 pm - Reply

Very elegant, and clean too! My full length door curtains are damp, muddy, and getting a bit tatty due to the puppy and adult dog traffic that keep pushing through them!

• Jessica January 25, 2013 at 7:33 pm - Reply

I’m not sure how long it’ll stay clean. This one is on a main thoroughfare too…

8. BadPenny January 25, 2013 at 6:18 pm - Reply

Wow ! really professional looking !

• Jessica January 25, 2013 at 7:33 pm - Reply

Thanks Penny!

9. starproms January 25, 2013 at 6:30 pm - Reply

The blinds look great and so is the curtain. Did the rivets come with the pole? If not, they are a perfect match. All coming together nicely just as we here are in the throws of a disaster! We had a leak behind the cupboard in our kitchen and it caused a lot of damage underneath our new linoleum floor. Luckily we are insured. Lots of work to be done.

• Jessica January 25, 2013 at 7:39 pm - Reply

We did get the pole from the same manufacturer, but the rings can come separately.
      Oma, I feel for you. It was bad enough when it happened to us in the old kitchen, but under a new floor many times worse. I hope the insurance and the work gets sorted out soon. Jx

10. CherryPie January 25, 2013 at 6:46 pm - Reply

It certainly looks very nice 🙂

• Jessica January 25, 2013 at 7:39 pm - Reply

Thanks Cherie!

11. Rosie January 25, 2013 at 9:52 pm - Reply

Your blind and curtains are lovely and look very warm and cosy, I like the soft colours and the rivets:)

• Jessica January 25, 2013 at 10:35 pm - Reply

The kitchen is a lot cosier now! Especially this evening – the wind and rain has reached us. Thanks Rosie.

12. elaine January 25, 2013 at 10:50 pm - Reply

Fab-u-lous – you clever girl you

• Jessica January 26, 2013 at 9:21 am - Reply

Thanks Elaine!

13. where the journey takes me January 25, 2013 at 11:44 pm - Reply

Hi Jessica…You’ve certainly made a good job of these – We are thinking of Roman blinds in our home office / craft room as they are simple and neat looking – I might just shout when I need help in finding a good technique.

• Jessica January 26, 2013 at 9:22 am - Reply

No problem Viv.

14. Josephine January 26, 2013 at 1:01 am - Reply

You are so talented, both the blinds and now the curtain, they look like a professional seamstress has created them !
    Just perfect, you clever girl you 🙂
    ~Jo

• Jessica January 26, 2013 at 9:24 am - Reply

Thanks Jo! It’s only the brute force needed to snap together the rivets, otherwise it’s really not too difficult!

15. haggiz January 26, 2013 at 8:04 am - Reply

I am so impressed with the curtain and blind. Lovely fabric too. It looks very professional. Julie x

• Jessica January 26, 2013 at 9:26 am - Reply

The most challenging bit is finding a large enough space to work. I started off on the floor, did my back in, and ended up with a very large piece of MDF on the top of the dining room table.

16. shaz January 26, 2013 at 9:26 am - Reply

Very stylish, I am always amazed how much difference a curtain over a door makes to the heat of the room

• Jessica January 26, 2013 at 9:42 am - Reply

It certainly does. A draught excluder hidden behind the curtain works wonders too.

17. Heda January 26, 2013 at 9:27 am - Reply

Perfect!

• Jessica January 26, 2013 at 9:43 am - Reply

Thanks Heda!

18. Annie @ knitsofacto January 26, 2013 at 9:50 pm - Reply

Looking good! I’m impressed by the rivets, minimalist yet very industrial chic!

I’ve added Rusty Duck to my new blog roll, hope that’s okay Jessica. And thanks for the get well wishes 🙂

• Jessica January 27, 2013 at 10:25 am - Reply

That’s great Annie, thank you! I hope you are well and truly on the mend now, Jx