And There’s More..

Blistering Wall Wm

Not a moonscape. Nor a desert seen from the air. Blistering paint.

In the rush to get the kitchen done before Christmas we’d been left with no option but to paint damp plaster. There’s one particular place where it still isn’t dry. Indeed, it seems to be getting worse.

And so the builder is back, rooting around in a rainwater gully that runs along the outside of the kitchen wall. There is much tut-tutting and scratching of heads but the diagnosis is really quite simple. Water left to pool in the gully is seeping up the wall.

The solution, however, isn’t simple at all. They need to create a better ‘fall’ to allow the water to drain properly and then install a new storm drain to carry it all away. But there’s a rub. There’s only one direction the proposed pipework can run. It’ll mean digging a trench right through the back lobby that lies beyond the kitchen door. Down through the concrete floor.

Oh good. The jackhammer returns.

2017-03-04T17:28:25+00:00 January 23rd, 2013|Tags: |30 Comments

1. Sue January 23, 2013 at 4:47 pm - Reply

You love it really.

• Jessica January 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm - Reply

The lobby needed painting. Positive thoughts.

2. 1gus1 January 23, 2013 at 5:04 pm - Reply

Oh, what joy! We have, on occasions, had toadstools growing on the ceiling – gross! We tracked down the leak (I say ‘we’ – it should be ‘he’) and all was well, until the next overflow from receptacles.

I hope the paint mask is effective – and the plastic sheeting, of course.

• Jessica January 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Oh crikey! Here, there were mushrooms on the floor, before the leaks were fixed and it was relaid. I resisted putting them in an omelette..

3. Jill Chandler. January 23, 2013 at 5:39 pm - Reply

You’ll get there, at least you can off load on us!

• Jessica January 23, 2013 at 6:01 pm - Reply

Cheaper than a therapist, Jill! And probably far more effective.

4. Anny January 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm - Reply

No consolation I’m sure, but friends of ours in a relatively new build are having their floor dug up in various places to locate a leak in the central heating – I think it was the decision to have wall to wall carpets that brought it on.

• Jessica January 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm - Reply

Oh lord. I hope, at least, they can get it done under the NHBC.

5. Simone January 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm - Reply

Jessica, you have the patience of a Saint! All of the problems you have with your house put mine into perspective. My rotting conservatory doesn’t seem so bad now!!!

• Jessica January 23, 2013 at 7:26 pm - Reply

You would need to ask Mike about the patience. I have a feeling I know what he would say… !

6. elaine January 23, 2013 at 6:22 pm - Reply

Oh my – jackhammer you say – hope you’re out whilst they are doing it.

• Jessica January 23, 2013 at 7:28 pm - Reply

Several pressing engagements already in the diary.. and by the time I get back they’ll have cleared up all the mess too??

7. Em January 23, 2013 at 7:13 pm - Reply

The familiarity of your story gains strength with every post. I find myself eyeing people’s new-builds with envy but then imagine living where they are and think again. I feel for your blistering.

• Jessica January 23, 2013 at 9:47 pm - Reply

This problem has the same cause as so many others. TOO MUCH RAIN!!!

8. Vera January 23, 2013 at 7:27 pm - Reply

Oh B*****r! There’s always something isn’t there! And has the ‘spraying of the shelves’ commenced yet? And what was that that you wrote over on Denise’s blog (Much Malarkey Manor) about wishing you had an Ipad so you could do vids as well. Nonsense! I have got a Samsung camera bought from Argos before we came here, which is an absolute nuisance because takes ages to get it working for a variety of reasons, and frequently is almost thrown into the ditch by my frustration of it, but I can’t afford a new camera so have to make do. You take lovely photos, better than any I do. Does your camera also record on video? If it does, then have a go at doing a vid. Would love to see you try. You have a very good way with words, and can capture in a few sentences the essence of whatever it is you are speaking about. I can’t do that. I can’t write short pieces, so I admire your ability to do so. My camera is not a video camera, just a camera which has a button which takes moving pictures, which I suppose is a type of video camera after all!
    Carry on with the renovation fight, it is a plod, it is expensive, and ‘nasty’ surprises tend to happen when there is a no money available to sort the surprise out, but hey ho! Renovators are a grand club to belong to! x

• Jessica January 23, 2013 at 10:17 pm - Reply

Mike is still working out how to best protect the sitting room. Today taken over by infuriating computer problems (more wine needed), so no progress.
      I’ll have a look at our camera, see what it can do! And thank you for your kind comments. I’m not sure I could write a book, but I’m greatly looking forward to reading yours. Jx

• Vera January 24, 2013 at 5:27 am - Reply

Write a book? Of course you could if you wanted to! All it takes is dogged determination and the ability to write 3000 words then delete 2, 990 of them as absolute rubbish! If you need any help about self publishing, then just ask (veracoe@aspectsofself.com). If you need help with writing, just ask. If you need any help with the camera, don’t ask as I haven’t got a clue! And any vids are best uploaded to YouTube which can then be linked to the blog. Vx

• Jessica January 24, 2013 at 9:19 am - Reply

It’s something I’d like to do and will give it some thought. Thanks Vera.

9. Anne January 23, 2013 at 8:05 pm - Reply

Oh dear – it’s just never simple, is it!! We have a very complicated system to pump the waste water from the utility room sink up into and across the loft, then out the back of the house and into the drains coming from the bathroom …….

• Jessica January 23, 2013 at 10:19 pm - Reply

No! These things are wonderful if they work!!

10. Rosie January 23, 2013 at 10:07 pm - Reply

Heavens above, what next? That does sound like a messy, noisy job to put up with in the middle of winter, hope it gets done quickly:)

• Jessica January 23, 2013 at 10:24 pm - Reply

I shall seal up the kitchen door with the duct tape we seem to have a lot of, and leave them to it!

11. where the journey takes me January 23, 2013 at 10:10 pm - Reply

When I first saw your photo I thought you were going to say Mike was under all that paint after doing his spraying and that bump might just be his eyeball poking through LOL!
    Sounds like you are going to have a nice moat running outside your kitchen door – my brother has one just the same in his lobby immediately inside the front door – he dug his out only 25 years ago – he even had to carry his new bride over the trench (I did tell him it is normally just the threshold). They have been married 10 years and even the most hardened nagging hasn’t got it filled in yet!
    PS Have the bookcases been ‘shelved’ for a while then? x

• Jessica January 23, 2013 at 10:32 pm - Reply

Good grief. Isn’t that grounds for divorce? It would be here. Irreconcilable differences over a trench.
      The bookcase is not shelved. Back on the case (!) tomorrow.

12. CherryPie January 23, 2013 at 11:26 pm - Reply

Oh no!! Drilling and indoor paint spraying at the same time.

You need to lock yourself up in that small room with your computer and turn the music up LOUD!!

• Jessica January 24, 2013 at 9:12 am - Reply

VERY loud!

13. haggiz January 24, 2013 at 9:19 am - Reply

When I first glanced at your photo I thought you finally had some snow (it was first thing in the morning and takes my eyes a while to focus!). Sorry to hear of your next trial, I’m sure you’d be really bored living in a new build! Julie x

• Jessica January 24, 2013 at 9:26 am - Reply

We did have some snow yesterday! But it was really wet stuff and not photogenic like all the other lovely pics I’ve seen. Deep and crisp and even, not. And completely gone within an hour or so when it turned back to rain.

14. BadPenny January 24, 2013 at 3:38 pm - Reply

When I say I know EXACTLY who you feel I mean… I know EXACTLY how you feel !

• Jessica January 24, 2013 at 6:33 pm - Reply

Having seen your post today I believe you. I hope it turns out to be something simple, Penny, I really do. Jx