Fight Back

Mouse 4 Wm

The replacement parts for the chainsaw and the leaf blower have arrived at the agricultural equipment store. Mike plonked both machines down on the counter. As the chap behind the desk inspected the nibbled ‘bubbles’ the hint of a smirk played out across his face. “Can I interest you in a mousetrap, sir?”

The store is packed to bursting with every type and model of land management kit known to man. It’s a specialist dealer. Agricultural machinery is all they sell. And mousetraps. Nocturnal gnawing of chainsaw parts not an uncommon problem, it would seem.

So. Now that the freshly repaired equipment is back in the fold, just how to protect it?

Fear not. Mike is the original Blue Peter* child. He disappeared into his shed and emerged an hour or so later proudly waving a device constructed from a piece of an old electrical socket back plate and an offcut from one of my mother’s curtain poles. This unlikely combination fits perfectly, apparently, over the chainsaw’s priming bubble and is therefore our next line of defence against Apodemus sylvaticus.

But it doesn’t end there. Oooh no. The protection for the leaf blower is even more devious..

Blower & kit Wm

Enter the plastic dispenser from a bottle of laundry gel. It doesn’t quite fit. But it can be modified..

Blower & kit 2 Wm

And then secured in place with duct tape.

I have been instructed to never again throw away a bottle of Fairy Gel without first handing over the dispenser.

* For readers outside the UK, Blue Peter is a long running children’s TV programme. Back in the 70s the presenters were renowned for their ability to construct a variety of dubious objects from the inside of loo rolls, cut down liquid detergent bottles and the then ubiquitous ‘sticky-back’ plastic.

Fight Back

pin it?

2017-03-04T17:36:18+00:00 January 16th, 2013|Tags: |40 Comments

1. rachel January 16, 2013 at 4:14 pm - Reply

Ah, duct tape. The housewife’s friend. My old dishwasher and tumble dryer lasted for years longer than their intended expiry date because of the judicious application of duct tape…..
    Let’s hope mice don’t enjoy it.

• Jessica January 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm - Reply

We seem to have a fair bit of it around here too..

2. Denise January 16, 2013 at 4:20 pm - Reply

I bought Jon a great book for Christmas…”50 sheds of grey!” He loved it.
    lol!

• Jessica January 16, 2013 at 7:06 pm - Reply

I’ve seen excerpts from it.. !
      Mike has one shed. Brown.

3. Cumbrian January 16, 2013 at 4:56 pm - Reply

Sounds like you need a cat.

• Jessica January 16, 2013 at 7:16 pm - Reply

I’m too much of a softie Cumbrian. I need to exhaust the non-fatal possibilities first.. time will tell though.

• Cumbrian January 17, 2013 at 2:53 pm - Reply

I don’t think there are any non-lethal ways, at least I don’t know any.
        Mousetraps really do work if you can’t stand the thought of them getting eaten, it’s an instant kill method.
        Clear them frequently, I know it’s the early bird that gwts the worm, but it’s the second mouse that gets the cheese.

• Jessica January 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm - Reply

I fear we will have to look at it Cumbrian. If it were just a few I’d leave them be and learn to live with them. But a few will become very many, I know.

4. Susan Tattersall January 16, 2013 at 5:00 pm - Reply

The trouble is they look so damned sweet don’t they that is until they move in. We had mice in the loft two or three years ago now, we could hear them doing the tango above us when we were in bed. Mike seems a very resourceful chap. I think he has got their number.

• Jessica January 16, 2013 at 7:17 pm - Reply

I think he enjoys the battle of wits as much as the mice do…

5. Josephine January 16, 2013 at 6:12 pm - Reply

He reminds me of myself, with his ingenuity, give me a bit of duct tape and a plastic bottle and I can fix almost anything 🙂
    I’d say you need some cats, several of them, otherwise those mice will have your guts for garters.
    ~Jo

• Jessica January 16, 2013 at 7:20 pm - Reply

It’s certainly worrying that they manage to outsmart us at every stage… only small brains, but a lot more of them!

6. where the journey takes me January 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm - Reply

I always thought it was called Duck Tape!!! Whatever… it is pretty handy stuff…and I just love Blue Peter. I have a bit of a reputation at work for being a Blue Peterist. I have concocted bookcases out of cardboard boxes and made pen holders for the newcomers before now from whatever is handy. I am always the one that has hammer, screw driver, picture hooks and sandpaper in her drawers (I just thought it was normal – but I’m told no not really most girls have nail varnish and cup-a-soup!!)

• Jessica January 16, 2013 at 7:37 pm - Reply

And think it’s known by both names, ‘duct’ being the more well known abroad. That’s me trying to be a global blogger!!

• where the journey takes me January 16, 2013 at 10:58 pm - Reply

I always wondered why someone might want to tape up a duck! I could understand those pesky mice in your case!

• Jessica January 17, 2013 at 9:56 am - Reply

When we lived with ducks Mike always threatened to tape up their beaks to stop the quacking. I think he was joking. If not, he would have discovered yet more uses for duck/duct tape..

7. John January 16, 2013 at 7:28 pm - Reply

Duct tape?
    Naw

It’s sticky backed plastic!

• Jessica January 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm - Reply

That will explain why Mike has so many rolls..

8. haggiz January 16, 2013 at 8:02 pm - Reply

I hope the mice don’t gang up with the squirrels, your days will be numbered. I loved Blue Peter and was very excited when told Peter Purves bought one of my notebooks I make in one of the shops in Suffolk that sells my stuff (The shop owner was much younger than me and didn’t get why I was quite so excited!) Jx

• Jessica January 16, 2013 at 10:07 pm - Reply

Hey, well done you!
      The wildlife rule here, I am under no illusions. We share their valley, not the other way round!

9. BumbleVee January 17, 2013 at 6:15 am - Reply

hahahah….. this is very funny …and here I am trying to muffle giggles because Mr. BV has long since gone to bed and I’m trying to be quiet……. I’ll have to read it to him tomorrow … for more giggles and entertainment…. love Mike’s ingenuity …

• Jessica January 17, 2013 at 9:59 am - Reply

I just hope it works, otherwise I might have to lock him back up in the ‘think shed’ until he can come up with something else.. 😉

10. Rosie January 17, 2013 at 9:10 am - Reply

Blue Peter tactics one – Mice nil, me thinks! Very ingenious:)

• Jessica January 17, 2013 at 10:05 am - Reply

They have gone very quiet. Maybe because it has got colder. Or maybe they are just studying the Fairy Gel top from every angle, to determine its point of least resistance.. ?

11. Em January 17, 2013 at 2:19 pm - Reply

The last time our car was in for its service we are absolutely convinced one of the mechanics nicked the fuel line. The very next day, the car ground to a halt in the middle of the town ‘square’ (it’s pretty small!). The garage said it had been eaten through by mice and we couldn’t prove otherwise. I’m beginning to wonder if we were too quick to doubt them!

• Jessica January 17, 2013 at 3:06 pm - Reply

It does seem a bit of a coincidence. But, mice will stop at nothing to get at petrol. They seem to love it for some inexplicable reason.

12. Judith January 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm - Reply

OMG-just discovered your lovely blog via Welsh Hills Again and recognised the mouse and petrol scenario immediately. Now I have stopped laughing, I’m off to check the shed for gnawing and cupboard for gel tops!

• Jessica January 17, 2013 at 3:58 pm - Reply

Hello Judith and welcome to rusty duck!
      What IS it about petrol?? Maybe they would say the same about me if they knew about the Pinot Grigio..

13. starproms January 17, 2013 at 4:31 pm - Reply

I quite like one mouse but more than one mouse and it’s an invasion. Fortunately my cat takes care of matters for me! I advise you do the same.

• Jessica January 17, 2013 at 5:02 pm - Reply

They look so sweet and innocent don’t they.. butter wouldn’t melt!

14. CherryPie January 17, 2013 at 11:23 pm - Reply

Very ingenious!!

I am looking forward to learning how the mices get over that one!

• Jessica January 18, 2013 at 9:33 am - Reply

It reminds me of the programme that used to be on TV years ago, setting squirrels all manner of obstacles to overcome to get to the nuts.

15. Simone January 18, 2013 at 8:37 am - Reply

It’s a good job that Mike watched the educational Blue Peter and not Magpie!!!

• Jessica January 18, 2013 at 9:35 am - Reply

I’d forgotten about Magpie… that takes me back!

16. Vera January 18, 2013 at 8:58 am - Reply

Ingenious! Will be interesting to see how the mice ‘solve’ these obstacles!

• Jessica January 18, 2013 at 9:37 am - Reply

I’m collecting Fairy Gel tops, we have one spare as a replacement if needed..

17. Natalie January 19, 2013 at 1:02 am - Reply

Oh dear, and here I’m only worrying about mice in the walls! 🙂

• Jessica January 19, 2013 at 9:53 am - Reply

Mice in the walls is bad enough! Must drive the cats mad…

18. ropcorn January 20, 2013 at 1:22 pm - Reply

Duct tape – works for everything. Hehe 😉

• Jessica January 20, 2013 at 1:52 pm - Reply

Where would we be without it??!