Locked Out!

This year is not starting well. How can something so small cause so much trouble? It was a blue one, to be precise. For want of one of these:

The car cannot be unlocked. Well, not without that old fashioned thing called a key. (Whatever was wrong with them?) And then only the driver’s door. The passenger therefore, and there can only be one, has to climb in across the driver’s seat and up over the centre console. Then back out the same way.

The indicator will only wink once. Rather than its customary three times.

The radio turns itself off at will.

And, worst of all, the petrol filler cap will not open. There appears to be no provision for an emergency way in. Not according to the manual anyway. Did we have enough fuel to drive to the dealer and purchase a new fuse? Just. But it was touch and go.

2017-11-07T19:59:17+00:00 January 9th, 2013|Tags: |

1. Sue January 9, 2013 at 1:38 pm - Reply

An example of how modern technology sometimes too clever for its own good.

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 5:33 pm - Reply

Not that modern either. The car is nearly six years old – today’s version must be even more dependent on electronic systems!

2. Susan Tattersall January 9, 2013 at 2:01 pm - Reply

Hmm only good if they work. I have a huge pile of washing to do, switched on machine as you do and walked away. It is one of those new fangled jobs with an alarm that rings when it gets to the end of a cycle. it did. I opened the door to a pile of very wet washing, cue wringing of hands, lots more washing to do! then I realised I had put it on a pre-wash setting by mistake. Duh.

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm - Reply

Oh lord. You need a degree in Domestic Appliances to get anywhere these days!

3. haggiz January 9, 2013 at 2:20 pm - Reply

Oh dear! At least the sun is shining today! Julie x

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 5:39 pm - Reply

It’s been absolutely glorious! I hope you haven’t been stitching ALL day, and got a chance to get outside.

• haggiz January 9, 2013 at 5:58 pm - Reply

No spent a bit of time in the garden, but was working in the conservatory with sun shining in so best of both worlds really Jx

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 6:27 pm - Reply

Perfect!

4. Vera January 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm - Reply

Technology is supposed to make things easier, but I think that it makes things more complicated. Glad you got your fuse, hope you own personal fuse did not explode!

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 5:41 pm - Reply

Got the fuse… and a few spares!!!

5. Sue January 9, 2013 at 3:10 pm - Reply

Technology good stuff – til it goes wrong.
    Luckily our 4×4 is a basic model and we do need a proper key to get in, we also have to wind the windows down manually something I hadn’t done for years!

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 5:47 pm - Reply

A 4×4 is definitely something for the wish list, especially living where we do. We can leave the car at the top of the drive, but there’s still all the hills around us with their narrow ungritted roads.

6. Anny January 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm - Reply

I think we’ll add a new circle of hell for the designers of car electrics.

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm - Reply

We got away lightly, at one point they were talking about new electrical components costing hundreds of pounds.

7. the veg artist January 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm - Reply

Fancy car electrics can be very dangerous things – and very expensive to repair as well. Maybe they suit a suave type of individual who wants to impress, but I prefer the idea that I’m in charge of a car, not the car in charge of me!

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm - Reply

Quite. There’s been a few video clips lately of self driving cars. Ghastly. Bring back the model T!

8. Simone January 9, 2013 at 4:38 pm - Reply

All very stressful and we are only into week 2 of the new year!!!

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 6:12 pm - Reply

And also only 2 days into my new ‘wine at weekends only’ routine. It’s being tested already..

9. Anne January 9, 2013 at 5:28 pm - Reply

Oh – we can sympathise – we were woken up in the middle of the night some months ago by the horn on Malcolm’s new car sounding continuously. As we live in the middle of nowhere it was pitch black outside as he tried to get it to stop – eventually he had to pull the fuse out. The Green Flag man couldn’t fix it the next day, the dealer (an hour’s drive away) couldn’t find the fault on Malcolm’s first visit, and in the end the car had to go for 2 days before they finally diagnosed that a wire had shorted out.

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 6:21 pm - Reply

It’s all just got so complicated, electrics can be a nightmare for mechanics too. Even with all the fancy diagnostic kit at their disposal.

10. Jill Chandler. January 9, 2013 at 5:52 pm - Reply

See – I told you – new technology RUBBISH.

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 6:23 pm - Reply

I never doubted you for a second Jill!

11. where the journey takes me January 9, 2013 at 5:54 pm - Reply

I saw the photo and didn’t even recognise they were fuses LOL – until I read your story I thought perhaps they were some kind of useful builders bits or a new mouse deterrent or possibly even an unusual Lego set for Christmas!
    I never go anywhere near the car if its broke – that’s why I got myself a husband (oh and for the DIY of course!) and full breakdown cover just in case – I am certainly no feminist where cars or their maintenance are concerned I will stick to my kitchen I am safer there!
    Glad you are all sorted x

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 6:27 pm - Reply

Nope, me neither. Put the bonnet up and look helpless. Best way every time.

12. BadPenny January 9, 2013 at 6:49 pm - Reply

I hate those point and shoot open car doors thingamies – bring back keys ( which get lost ! )

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm - Reply

Ours is a unit that gets carried about on a keyring – so equally likely to get lost!

13. Mise January 9, 2013 at 7:50 pm - Reply

Yes, those blue ones are the most pernicious of all. I’m glad you may return to your ladylike self after all that clambering, and suggest trading the whole thing in for a nice Kitchenaid food-mixer for fear of recurrence.

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 10:04 pm - Reply

Knowing my luck with technology Mise, it would chop when it was supposed to knead..

14. knitsofacto January 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm - Reply

I wonder, did the mice eat the one that failed?

• Jessica January 10, 2013 at 5:18 pm - Reply

The thought occurred to me too. They would have had to get well into the engine compartment, to right behind the glove box. Could they do it? Probably.

15. Rosie January 10, 2013 at 9:17 pm - Reply

It seems that with cars the smaller means the more troublesome! Think a soothing glass of wine is needed:)

• Jessica January 10, 2013 at 10:24 pm - Reply

I think you’re right! 🙂

16. Heda January 11, 2013 at 10:28 am - Reply

Woo Hoo. We will always rise above those tedious technological creations that think they are sooooo smart!

• Jessica January 11, 2013 at 11:32 am - Reply

We will certainly try! It would help if there could be acknowledgement now and again that maybe the wonderful creation might just go wrong..?

17. CherryPie January 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm - Reply

I used to have a car where the key only opened the passenger side door, leaving the driver having to do all the clambering in and out.

• Jessica January 12, 2013 at 6:05 pm - Reply