“Are You Sure..?”

Bear Wm

Over the last couple of months we’ve been clearing stuff out of my mother’s bungalow.

A lot of it has been going to a local auction house. We went in to see them the day before Christmas, while they were setting up ready for the next sale. Some questions were answered and we were about to leave. One of the company’s valuers walked with us to the door. “Did you notice the bear?” In fact I’d spotted it as we came in. Threadbare and disconsolate, perched on the top of an old wardrobe. Only a marginal improvement on its previous existence, in the far reaches of an attic, stuffed in a box. “Are you sure you want to include it in the sale?”

It might have been something in her voice. It might have been something in her eyes. But whatever it was, something didn’t seem right. Enough for me to pause for a second. “No, it’s OK, we’ve got enough bears.” I saw Mike breathe a sigh of relief.

We got out of the door and all the way back to the car, battling to avoid being swept into the river by the driving rain and howling gale. It was such a relief to get under cover and we sat for a while in silence. It wasn’t the end of the story and Mike knew it. “We’re going back for it, aren’t we?”

Returning to the car, for the second time, he looked thoroughly bedraggled. The rain had got harder if anything.

The bear though, it was safe and dry under his coat.

Are You Sure.._

pin it?

2017-03-04T18:10:14+00:00 December 28th, 2012|Tags: |40 Comments

1. Natalie December 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm - Reply

Awwww… that bear needed to go home with you!

• Jessica December 28, 2012 at 2:02 pm - Reply

He is now sitting in the bedroom window. He could watch the sunrise… if it weren’t always covered up in cloud!

• Natalie December 29, 2012 at 1:49 pm - Reply

Does he want to visit Canada and go snowshoeing with me? 😉

• Jessica December 29, 2012 at 2:29 pm - Reply

I hope you’ll be posting pics…
          He would love to. Thing is, he’s a bit nervous about travelling all that way on his own. I would have to come with him 😉

2. Sue December 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm - Reply

He looks exactly like my bear who is pushing 50 and lost his growl decades ago.

• Jessica December 28, 2012 at 2:05 pm - Reply

There is something metallic in his back. Perhaps a squeaker, or one of those mechanisms that produces a growl when he is turned over? If that’s the case then he is now silent too.

3. Mary December 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm - Reply

You will never regret taking the bear home. A few years ago we went through this, preparing my parents’ home and contents for auction and I do have some regrets.
    Mary

• Jessica December 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm - Reply

Hello Mary & welcome to rusty duck!
      It’s been a very tough job to do, so many memories. I don’t envy anyone having to take on this task. If we had the space, I would have rescued a whole lot more.

4. Rosie December 28, 2012 at 1:37 pm - Reply

Oh, he’s just like my bear! When I was collected from hospital aged 7, after having my tonsils taken out my bear was sitting in my seat in the back of the sidecar (yes we had a motor bike and sidecar in those days) waiting for me. I’m so pleased your bear came home with you:)

• Jessica December 28, 2012 at 2:26 pm - Reply

That’s nice. I got a felt mouse for having four teeth out as a kid, which I still have somewhere. But tonsils are obviously worth considerably more!

5. Sue December 28, 2012 at 3:23 pm - Reply

He just had to come home with you didn’t he !

So glad he is watching out for you from the window, the perfect spot.

Sue xx

• Jessica December 28, 2012 at 6:58 pm - Reply

It wouldn’t have been right to leave him behind.

6. Jill Chandler. December 28, 2012 at 4:16 pm - Reply

Oh! Memories, that is my bear! Well very like. So glad you didnt leave him, bears are special.

• Jessica December 28, 2012 at 7:03 pm - Reply

This one has been through a lot at some point in his life. His arms and tummy are almost bare in places. He certainly has character!

7. John December 28, 2012 at 4:48 pm - Reply

Now THAT was my Christmas story x

• Jessica December 28, 2012 at 7:07 pm - Reply

A Christmas rescue story.

8. Simone December 28, 2012 at 5:18 pm - Reply

Mike knows you so well!!!

• Jessica December 28, 2012 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Yep. Anything fluffy or feathery has my name on it. Even stuffed!

9. haggiz December 28, 2012 at 7:31 pm - Reply

He looks like he belongs on that window sill x

• Jessica December 28, 2012 at 8:17 pm - Reply

He does. But in that south facing window I feared he might fade, so after Mike took the picture I moved him to somewhere shadier. He still looks out over the garden though!

10. Vera December 28, 2012 at 8:30 pm - Reply

For some reason, I felt a lump in my throat as I read your blog Jessica. Glad the bear is home with you. For some reason it seems important that this should be so. x

• Jessica December 28, 2012 at 9:56 pm - Reply

It feels important to me too Vera. He will be loved once again, tatty and grubby though he may be.

11. brismod December 28, 2012 at 9:34 pm - Reply

You won’t regret keeping that bear. I regret that we didn’t save a lot of things when Jason’s Nana went to a home. She died last year. There were a lot of her childhood books from the 1920s which someone in the family should have kept. They had initially put all the books in garbage bags for the bin. I couldn’t bear for them to be thrown out and sorted and donated them to charity. I still kick myself that I didn’t keep one of the books which had a hand written inscription from Nana’s mum. xx

• Jessica December 28, 2012 at 10:09 pm - Reply

It’s the hardest thing, putting someone’s life into a bin bag. Like you, we gave the books to a charity shop. I wish I’d kept so much more, but somewhere you have to draw the line. Thanks xx

12. elizabethm December 28, 2012 at 10:37 pm - Reply

Ah yes, there are things you simply shouldn’t leave behind.

• Jessica December 29, 2012 at 10:16 am - Reply

Shouldn’t and couldn’t!

13. CherryPie December 28, 2012 at 11:41 pm - Reply

Somehow bears seem to hold the memories that are dear to us.

He looks so at home sitting in the sun on your window ledge 🙂

• Jessica December 29, 2012 at 10:21 am - Reply

Yes, what is it about bears?

14. domesticali December 28, 2012 at 11:59 pm - Reply

His eyes say ‘just as it should be’.

• Jessica December 29, 2012 at 10:23 am - Reply

🙂

15. Em December 29, 2012 at 11:38 am - Reply

Definitely the right decision and I speak as one who very much likes de-cluttering! Some things just have to stay though.

• Jessica December 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Me too on the de-cluttering – almost minimalist, as you saw from the kitchen. But a house has to have some soul too.

16. BadPenny December 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm - Reply

He’s just like my big brother’s bear who I keep safe at my house !

• Jessica December 29, 2012 at 6:01 pm - Reply

I wish I knew more about this one, how he came to be in the state he is in, and how long he’s lived in the attic!
      I hope you’re having a great time in Scotland, Penny.

17. knitsofacto December 29, 2012 at 5:23 pm - Reply

You can never have too many bears. (And it’s no coincidence my husband is called Ted!)

• Jessica December 29, 2012 at 6:07 pm - Reply

We have been trying to think of a name. Mike has come up with a number of suggestions, not all of them appropriate.. Cedric is the best one so far.

18. BumbleVee February 19, 2013 at 7:08 pm - Reply

Aww…I’m so glad you changed your mind…. I, too, say you can never have too many bears….. I would have changed my mind too if I had tried to leave one at auction…

• Jessica February 19, 2013 at 9:49 pm - Reply

He is still sitting happily on my bedroom windowsill. I have not regretted bringing him home.

19. Jane and Lance Hattatt August 25, 2014 at 10:55 pm - Reply

Simply love him – and we have not even met!!

• Jessica August 25, 2014 at 11:05 pm - Reply

I couldn’t get over how similar Bear and Edward are, even down to the head tilted over to one side!