Tis Done

Kitchen 3 Wm

Old Kitchen Wm

Before

To increase the feeling of space in the kitchen, we put all the ‘tall’ things in a ‘wall’ of units across the narrow end of the room. Placing the hob, working area and sink on an island means I’m always facing into the centre of the room. I can knock up a stir fry and watch TV at the same time, or hold a conversation with Mike, ideally with a glass close by!

Kitchen 2 Wm[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=

Old Kitchen 4 Wm

Before

There was no space for the farmhouse table that I would love so we opted for a modern café style table for everyday meals. When the dining room is sorted out (ho ho), we can entertain in there.

I started out looking at flat pack cabinets but given the small size of the room, and the particular configuration I was after, I couldn’t make it work. But getting the cabinets made to fit has led to economies elsewhere. We used our existing washing machine and dishwasher and just built a cupboard around them. They are hidden away from view to the left of the café table. The end wall of units was tailored to incorporate our existing fridge freezer too.

I’ve committed two cardinal sins. Although we did a lot of the work ourselves, and got some great deals, we did spend more than originally intended. Between the kitchen and the water treatment plant the renovation budget is now pretty well used up and there’s still the rest of the house to do. It will be even more a case of DIY from now on. The other sin is in designing the kitchen in a style that is perhaps very particular to me. This will not be our ‘forever’ home, although hopefully we will be in it for a good few years yet. But I can’t envisage climbing 84 steps to get the post everyday when I’m 89, as our predecessor did!

Kitchen 1 Wm

Old Kitchen 3 Wm

Before

Well, I think I’m now ready to wind down for Christmas. To put my feet up in the sitting room and relax.

Sitting Room WIP Wm

Hmmmm.

Tis Done

pin it?

2017-03-04T18:13:21+00:00 December 19th, 2012|Tags: |50 Comments

1. Em December 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm - Reply

It’s gorgeous! I love the before and after pictures. I’m intrigued about the steps….I need to go back through your posts to find some pictures I should think….

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 6:36 pm - Reply

Hi Em & thanks.
      We’re on the side of a hill, about halfway between the road (and garage) at the top, and the river at the bottom. The steps are here.

2. Jill Chandler. December 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm - Reply

I think that can really be termed as WOW pictures. I wouldnt sit in the sitting room, I would be in the kitchen, glass of wine, and just grinning like the proverbial cheshire cat.

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm - Reply

Wine has become something of a necessity lately… New Year’s resolution pending! Thanks Jill.

3. haggiz December 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm - Reply

You may think it’s a style that is “particular to you” but it will appeal to an awful lot of people. Just WOW! Julie x

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 7:05 pm - Reply

I hope so Julie..

4. Simone December 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm - Reply

Light, airy, fresh, contemporary. You have done a great job in a short space of time. I am sure you will do a wonderful job in the sitting room too! Enjoy Christmas and don’t worry about the rest of the house until the New Year!

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 7:16 pm - Reply

It felt like a long time in the planning, but the actual work got shoehorned into a short space of time because everyone wanted it done by Christmas. Thanks Simone.

5. Anny December 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm - Reply

No, I was right – definite kitchen envy. Looks brilliant – big pats on the back all round.

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm - Reply

Thanks Anny. It’s a relief to get the ‘big one’ out of the way. Onwards…

6. Vera December 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm - Reply

Well done Jessica. It looks lovely.

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 7:19 pm - Reply

Thanks Vera. One room down.

7. john December 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm - Reply

bloody hell
    ( in a good way)

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 7:21 pm - Reply

No excuses now. I’ll have to get my pinny on..

8. Ali December 19, 2012 at 7:47 pm - Reply

My word – your new kitchen is a thing of very great beauty. My own bears more resemblance to your sitting room!

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 8:30 pm - Reply

Thanks Ali.
      It won’t take long. However good my intentions, I am not one of life’s most tidy people..!

9. CherryPie December 19, 2012 at 9:04 pm - Reply

It looks fabulous and I am sure you will enjoy using it very much.

I am still enjoying my new kitchen which a had done at the beginning of this year.

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 9:27 pm - Reply

It’s a huge job, isn’t it, but worth it in the end. Thanks, Cherie.

10. Modern Country Style December 19, 2012 at 10:14 pm - Reply

Wowee, your kitchen is GORGEOUS! What a brilliant makeover – and such good before pictures too!! The contrast is unbelievable!

Sarahx

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm - Reply

Thanks Sarah, I did hope that you would like it. The style that you portray through your own blog has inspired me a lot.

11. Cumbrian December 19, 2012 at 10:27 pm - Reply

Looks really good.
    As you say though, It would break my heart to leave it.

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 11:12 pm - Reply

We originally looked at this cottage as a ‘do up and sell’, albeit when the market picked up a bit. But over the months the timescale has got longer and longer. I now hope we will be here until the terrain makes it impossible to cope, which I know will come at some point. Thanks Cumbrian.

12. elaine December 20, 2012 at 7:19 am - Reply

Wow – what a difference – worth all the hassle – just in time for Christmas as well.

• Jessica December 20, 2012 at 8:59 am - Reply

Thanks Elaine. It was all worth it in the end.

13. Sue December 20, 2012 at 7:30 am - Reply

Wow, absolutely gorgeous. It should appeal to lots of folk so don’t worry about the future and saleability at the moment. I’d buy your house in a flash!!

If I was you I’d just shut the door on the living room and live in the kitchen!! 🙂

Well done to you both,and as for using up all the renovation budget, at least it’s on the main two items…not the end of the world.

• Jessica December 20, 2012 at 9:05 am - Reply

Re the budget. That’s the way I look at it too. With the possible exception of the bathroom and some other heavy duty plumbing, most of the rest we can just chip away at over time. No doubt we’ll be learning a lot along the way. Lime plastering for a start! Thanks Sue.

14. BadPenny December 20, 2012 at 8:38 am - Reply

This has the WOW Factor for sure ! You must be so pleased & relieved ! Enjoy your lovely new kitchen

• Jessica December 20, 2012 at 9:08 am - Reply

Thanks Penny. It’s a huge relief to get it done.

15. shaz December 20, 2012 at 9:48 am - Reply

Another wow thats a huge makeover in a short space of time …..stunning

You have set the bar really high for the rest of the house now!

• Jessica December 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm - Reply

It probably took about six months, taking all the planning and research into account as well. The rest of the house will seem easier by comparison. I hope! Thanks Shaz.

16. rachel December 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Fabulous. Just fabulous.

Oh gawd, I want to do another makeover now……

• Jessica December 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm - Reply

I’m looking forward to starting on the next bit.
      It is addictive. But usually at this point.. when you have an end result and have already forgotten all the pain of getting there! Thanks Rachel.

17. Anne December 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm - Reply

It looks fabulous, so much bigger, lighter and airier (is that a word?!) Malcolm (who has refitted 5 kitchens!) was very impressed too!!
    I prescribe candlelight and wine to improve the lounge for Christmas!!

• Jessica December 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm - Reply

Thanks Anne & Malcolm. I did have some doubts as it was being built. But it’s great to have everything so close to hand while preparing food at the far end.
      Your prescription is spot on!

18. Denise December 20, 2012 at 6:59 pm - Reply

LOVE it! LOVE it! Love the photos – must take some photos at this end – it always makes me tidy up! lol!

• Jessica December 20, 2012 at 7:29 pm - Reply

I think my photos must have had the opposite effect, you should see it today!! Thanks Denise.

19. Mise December 20, 2012 at 11:04 pm - Reply

It looks ever so swish, and timelessly swish at that. Your wall of high things works perfectly and balances the space. I wish you many glasses of wine stirring sauces and feeling justifiably proud of yourselves.

• Jessica December 20, 2012 at 11:18 pm - Reply

Thanks Mise. I wish I could have fitted in an Aga, but twas not to be. This time..

20. Josephine December 21, 2012 at 3:23 am - Reply

Absolutely beautiful, clean lines and modern, you’ve both done a fantastic job of your kitchen remodel.
    Now time for a few days of Merriment 🙂
    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, dear friend, from our home to yours.
    ~Jo

• Jessica December 21, 2012 at 9:45 am - Reply

Thank you Jo, and a Very Happy Christmas to you and your family too. Jx

21. where the journey takes me December 21, 2012 at 9:37 am - Reply

Hi Jessica and glad to see you have made it at last and can enjoy it for Christmas. It certainly has the WOW factor and you have done a great job with the space I love all of it.
    Just go and enjoy it now and never mind the living room doesn’t everyone have a few tools scattered around?

• Jessica December 21, 2012 at 9:48 am - Reply

Hopefully I can get it cleared this weekend, and put the tree up. Have a lovely Christmas Viv. Jx

22. Rosie December 21, 2012 at 9:52 am - Reply

Well, all your hard work has paid off – you new kitchen is fab! I’m sure you will enjoy cooking and eating in there over Christmas:)

• Jessica December 21, 2012 at 11:37 am - Reply

I’m still afraid to use it! No, seriously it will be great. Thanks Rosie. You have a great Christmas too.. Jx

23. knitsofacto December 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm - Reply

It really does look amazing!

• Jessica December 23, 2012 at 10:02 am - Reply

Thanks Annie.

24. Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden December 24, 2012 at 11:21 am - Reply

You clever things. It looks fabulous. I hope it works as you want it too. Fantastic to have it finished in time for Christmas I imagine, Happy Christmas to you too (It’s aready Christmas Day here!) Love Jeneane

• Jessica December 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm - Reply

OMG. It can’t be Christmas yet, I haven’t done the mince pies… 🙂 Thanks Jeneane.

25. Brismod December 27, 2012 at 11:27 am - Reply

Kitchen love! How have I missed this? You must be thrilled but I know what you mean about the going over budget…at least you will enjoy having a great place to cook. xx

• Jessica December 27, 2012 at 2:38 pm - Reply

I think I would have regretted it more if we hadn’t spent that little bit extra and got it right. Hopefully it will be here for many years to come. Jx