Kitchen: The Nifty Bits

Shelves Wm

It’s almost done.

There’s still some sorting out of stuff into cupboards, but the structure is pretty well there.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time scouring the internet for the stylish items I wanted, but at a competitive price. There are some pretty good deals to be found. We had to employ a builder to do the re-plastering and lay the floor. A cabinet maker for the units. And an electrician for rewiring and to fit the lights. But the project management, design concept, initial demolition, some of the plumbing (!), decorating and soft furnishing we did ourselves. I spent money on just a few big ticket items, such as the appliances, but pared back on many others such as the tiles on the floor. Most of the items shown here are in fact relatively inexpensive, but they add a ‘wow’ factor (I hope) that belies their cost.

Light Switch Wm

These lighting dimmer controls, as well as being so neat, are an absolute delight to use. The lightest touch is all that is required.

Ceiling Lights Wm

Radiator Wm

Another triumph for Mike with the radiators. And his plumber, as it turned out. The tails were in the right place.

Power Sockets Wm

Where do you put the power sockets if most of your work surface is away from the wall? These pop-up units are flush with the granite when not in use.

Steam Oven Wm

The steam oven is one of the big ticket items, but the vegetables that come out of it have to be tasted to be believed. Even the humble frozen pea. There’s just one thing I forgot. And given a science based education it’s pretty unforgivable too. When steam cools down it condenses back into water. Quite a lot of it as it happens. Maybe not entirely the labour saving device I’d envisaged, it needs mopping out after each use, but when we start to produce and cook our own vegetables it will really come into its own.

Kitchen_ The Nifty Bits

pin it?

2017-03-04T18:14:16+00:00 December 17th, 2012|Tags: |36 Comments

1. haggiz December 17, 2012 at 3:17 pm - Reply

Looking really stylish I love it! Very perturbed by the books in the first picture though! Where are the shelves??!!! x

• Jessica December 17, 2012 at 3:35 pm - Reply

It’s such a simple idea, Julie. I really wish I’d thought of it. The bottom book is the shelf, slipped over an L-shaped bit of metal screwed to the wall.
      It just pays to choose a book that you don’t use very often to go on the bottom…!!

2. Sue December 17, 2012 at 3:48 pm - Reply

Sleek and stylish.

• Jessica December 17, 2012 at 4:51 pm - Reply

Thanks Sue.

3. Vera December 17, 2012 at 3:51 pm - Reply

Very sleek Jessica, and glad that you are getting sorted out in time for Christmas. Which room are you going to do next?

• Jessica December 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm - Reply

The sitting room bookcase. Mike is building it from scratch. You should see the mess…. a week before Christmas. Arrrgh!

4. Anne December 17, 2012 at 4:14 pm - Reply

Can I please come and live in your kitchen!!?? I love the bookshelves, I want your radiator and the pop-up sockets are brilliant!!

• Jessica December 17, 2012 at 5:16 pm - Reply

I thought the bookshelves a bargain at £15! They are at full capacity though… any more books and I wouldn’t like to be sitting underneath!

5. Jill Chandler. December 17, 2012 at 4:59 pm - Reply

OOOOER!

• Jessica December 17, 2012 at 5:23 pm - Reply

🙂

6. BadPenny December 17, 2012 at 8:27 pm - Reply

I thought your books were floating on a Magic spell !

Love love the idea of pop up sockets …would stop many a trip in my kitchen !

Looking great !

• Jessica December 17, 2012 at 9:45 pm - Reply

I first saw the sockets at one of many recce trips to kitchen showrooms. If you’ve got the time, it’s well worth it to get ideas then source the various bits separately. You can find almost anything on the internet these days.

7. Rosie December 17, 2012 at 9:16 pm - Reply

Wow! It looks so stylish. I love the dimmer controls and the hidden away power sockets. A steam oven sounds like a wonderful idea and worth a quick mop out after use to have such tasty home grown vegetables:)

• Jessica December 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm - Reply

The steam oven can also be used as a conventional oven, or a combo of both. Need to experiment. Just done rice in it, which was superb.

8. where the journey takes me December 17, 2012 at 9:34 pm - Reply

Wow! Seems like everything is falling into place and just in time for the big day next week! You and your team have done a great job.

• Jessica December 17, 2012 at 10:46 pm - Reply

Thanks Viv.

9. Sue December 18, 2012 at 7:06 am - Reply

A kitchen in time for Christmas – perfect.

Can you put a large shallowish tray at the bottom of your steam oven to catch the water, then you could carefully tip it away?

It all looks lovely, those shelves are a nice touch.

• Jessica December 18, 2012 at 11:38 am - Reply

I wish, Sue. The bottom of the oven is where the steam is generated – it has a large depression in it, full of water which boils furiously!

10. Simone December 18, 2012 at 8:03 am - Reply

Lovely job. Quality fixtures and fittings make all the difference don’t they?

• Jessica December 18, 2012 at 11:45 am - Reply

Thanks Simone. What I tried to do is get a House & Garden look without a House & Garden budget!

11. Anny December 18, 2012 at 10:14 am - Reply

I have kitchen-envy…

• Jessica December 18, 2012 at 11:49 am - Reply

Hold on until you see the complete look, it’s a bit ‘different’.. while it was being built I was panicking a bit.

12. knitsofacto December 18, 2012 at 10:46 am - Reply

I’ve seen something similar to your bookshelves before … my host was greatly delighted at my bemusement and took her time explaining how they worked!

It is all looking very sleek … puts my kitchen to shame. Well done Jessica and Mike 😀

• Jessica December 18, 2012 at 11:58 am - Reply

They’ve certainly caused a stir here too..
      The old kitchen was really not liveable in, especially with all its damp and condensation problems. The cost of replacement was included in the negotiation of the house purchase price. Otherwise it wouldn’t have been a deal!

13. john December 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm - Reply

am loving the shelves but if we had them albert would be up em like a rat up a drainpipe

• Jessica December 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm - Reply

And down again even quicker.. books and kitty in a heap on the floor!

14. Denise December 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm - Reply

WOW! Love it!
    When do you want me to come round and sample the steamed vegetables my dear? Oh tomorrow? I’ll get my coat!

• Jessica December 18, 2012 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Obviously, you’ll need to bring Bing..

15. Josephine December 19, 2012 at 1:29 am - Reply

I am besoted by the pop-up power sockets, my island needs those !
    Love the whole look and feel of the kitchen, very stylish and modern.
    One more off that remodel list !
    ~Jo

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 9:43 am - Reply

Thanks Jo.
      If you have power to the island already, and could make a hole in the worktop, you could possibly retrofit. They are really nothing more than glorified extension leads – they just plug into a power point underneath the unit.
      One room done, most of the budget spent, all the rest to do!

16. CherryPie December 19, 2012 at 1:44 am - Reply

It seems as if you are nearly there, it is looking good.

I love those book shelves 🙂

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 9:44 am - Reply

Thanks Cherie.

17. ropcorn December 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm - Reply

Wow! That is a very nice kitchen. My faves are the dimmers and those cool power sockets. Hehe. Always fun with surprises. ;p

• Jessica December 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm - Reply

Thanks Alex!

18. Lana May 17, 2016 at 1:24 am - Reply

Love the pop up power sockets. Where did you purchase them?