The Christmas Tree

A self seeded tree, growing in an awkward place at the front of a border..

Amazing what the prospect of a cup of coffee can achieve..

We had some supervision..

Not a bad rootball..

Perfect.

It’ll stay in the shed for a couple of weeks to recover. Then I’ll bring it in and decorate it on Christmas Eve. A tree for free. Maybe even for next year too?

Nature’s version

2017-11-07T18:47:51+00:00 December 10th, 2012|Tags: , , |

1. Denise December 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm - Reply

We had a real one outside the entrance last year but we are in such a windy area it was quite a chore…our indoor tree needs replacing as it is over 20 years old – saw some amazingly realistic ones today – £200!!!!!!!!!!! Watch this space!

• Jessica December 10, 2012 at 6:02 pm - Reply

Good grief! But given the cost of cut (real) ones these days, it won’t take long before it’s worth it. And so much ‘greener’..

2. domesticali December 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm - Reply

How perfect! And love your supervisor in his hi-viz jacket.

• Jessica December 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm - Reply

He’s lovely isn’t he. Sat up there issuing instructions all the while. We gave him some seed to thank him for his contribution.

3. Julie December 10, 2012 at 6:39 pm - Reply

That’s the kind of tree I like, hopefully should keep if you only bring it in on Christmas Eve. Beautiful photos, love Mr Robin x

• Jessica December 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm - Reply

That’s what I’m hoping Julie. I’d like to get it established in its pot so it will be a bit bigger for next year.

4. Em December 10, 2012 at 7:20 pm - Reply

It’s a really gorgeous shape; I’m very jealous. Much nicer than our B&Q one!

• Jessica December 10, 2012 at 7:55 pm - Reply

I suspect your B&Q one is a little bigger Em!
      Thankfully we have some quite small baubles so can create something proportionate!

5. CherryPie December 10, 2012 at 7:39 pm - Reply

That is a lovely tree, I hope you show us what it is like when it is decorated too.

• Jessica December 10, 2012 at 8:09 pm - Reply

Thanks Cherie. I did find a bigger one, but it looked good where it was growing, so we left it be.

6. Sue December 10, 2012 at 8:00 pm - Reply

Absolutely perfect.

• Jessica December 10, 2012 at 8:13 pm - Reply

Thanks Sue. Loved your post today.. exactly what Christmas should be.

• john December 10, 2012 at 10:23 pm - Reply

A LOVELY ROOTBALL INDEED

• Jessica December 10, 2012 at 10:46 pm - Reply

A few roots broke off, that’s the problem.

7. Simone December 10, 2012 at 10:33 pm - Reply

That is a wonderful tree! The picture of Mr Robin is perfect; maybe you could get him to sit on one of the tree’s branches. He would make a lovely living decoration!!!

• Jessica December 10, 2012 at 10:52 pm - Reply

He was sitting in the acer (bottom) just before we took the photo, and on the fork handle before that.

8. Natalie December 11, 2012 at 1:28 am - Reply

The tree is great but OH! I LOVE THE ROBIN! Just love those beautiful little English robins. Sigh…

• Jessica December 11, 2012 at 9:55 am - Reply

They are beautiful, and very tame. This one hops around about six inches from my hand when I am weeding, waiting for any grubs. Or he’ll sit on an overhanging branch and give me a serenade.

9. Josephine December 11, 2012 at 2:25 am - Reply

Perfet !
    I love the shape, and lots of room between the branches for baubles and beeds 🙂
    Your little Robin is precious such sweet little birds.
    Of all the English birds, they are my favorite.
    ~Jo

• Jessica December 11, 2012 at 10:15 am - Reply

The Robins are very sweet, they’re one of my favourite birds too.

10. elaine December 11, 2012 at 7:26 am - Reply

How lucky you are to have a free tree and such a nice shape as well – hope it survives for next year.

• Jessica December 11, 2012 at 10:19 am - Reply

Ideally I should have potted it up much earlier in the year, but with a bit of TLC I hope it will be OK.

11. Anny December 11, 2012 at 10:34 am - Reply

My parents bought a potted tree one year, by the time we sold their house, it was the biggest tree in the garden – pretty impressive though. I’m thinking of doing the same this year. I can’t quite bring myself to see Christmas trees as a crop any more – am I being hypersensitive?

• Jessica December 11, 2012 at 11:37 am - Reply

This tree would have been dug up anyway next year, because it was growing in the wrong place. I just thought I’d use what I already had. Not the perfect conditions for it to re-establish under though.

12. Rosie December 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm - Reply

That is a wonderful tree and free too! I love the way robins come close to see what you are up to in the garden. It is always such a treat to see them:)

• Jessica December 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Yes, and their lovely cheery song too!

13. ropcorn December 11, 2012 at 4:39 pm - Reply

Stunning images! Especially of that lovely bird, love the colors she/he has. Thank you for sharing. 🙂

• Jessica December 11, 2012 at 5:28 pm - Reply

Thanks, Alex. It’s been very cold today. They’ve been hopping about on the bird table, fattening up on seeds.

14. wherethejourneytakesme December 11, 2012 at 6:07 pm - Reply

Perfect little tree – make sure you check for hidden squirrels before you bring it inside remember the Griswold Xmas Tree!

• Jessica December 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm - Reply

I’ll give it a good dousing down with the water pistol first.

15. BadPenny December 12, 2012 at 8:29 am - Reply

How lovely & special. Enjoy your dear little gift from nature !

• Jessica December 12, 2012 at 9:21 am - Reply

Thanks Penny.

16. Sue December 13, 2012 at 9:09 am - Reply

Beautiful,,,, and all your own too, what could be better.

• Jessica December 13, 2012 at 9:36 am - Reply

It’s still looking OK, so far. I hope it can cope with its time indoors. Thanks Sue.