Fingers To The Bone

I now know what a pincushion must feel like. And the nail on my left thumb is split down to the quick. Ouch.

Mike had two pairs of silk plaid curtains in the study of our previous home. They were too short for any of the windows in this house but it seemed a real shame to let them go. So I bought a couple of metres of contrasting silk and decided to extend them.

I didn’t want it to be too obvious, just what I’d done. So I put the new border at the top of the curtain. And added a band of the plain colour a little further down. The pleats are hand stitched. Hence the sore hands. So many layers: silk, lining, the thickest interlining I could find and buckram. Ouch again.

We’ve still to decorate the landing. Strip the beam, remove the woodchip wallpaper… and that damn plug! I’ll also pull up the carpet, then sand and wax the floorboards that lie underneath.

A more contemporary stair rail..

And the windows. Oh the windows..

But all that is for another day. For now there are two pairs of curtains in the house. Only another 16 pairs to go.

2017-11-07T14:17:57+00:00 December 4th, 2012|Tags: |

1. Vera December 4, 2012 at 5:23 pm - Reply

Oh but those curtains look lovely. 16 to go, you say? Crikey. Good idea about putting an extra piece at the top and making a band. Would think those curtains look better now than they were in their original state.

• Jessica December 4, 2012 at 6:09 pm - Reply

Thanks Vera. Yep, 16 pairs to go. Still no bedroom curtains either.

2. Susan T December 4, 2012 at 5:48 pm - Reply

Well it might have be a slog, but my goodness it was worth it, the curtains look fabulous. I also like the sound of th remaining work you have planned, you do know your new home is going to be very beautiful don’t you, worth every bit of blood, sweat and tears you have put in.

• Jessica December 4, 2012 at 6:18 pm - Reply

I really hope so Susan, thank you for the kind words. The blood stains generally come off if you can get to them quickly enough!

3. elaine December 4, 2012 at 6:58 pm - Reply

The curtains look great – you can turn your hand to anything it seems.

• Jessica December 4, 2012 at 7:18 pm - Reply

I can’t cook Elaine. I try, repeatedly. But I don’t have a feel for food and most things fail dismally.

4. knitsofacto December 4, 2012 at 8:08 pm - Reply

They look wonderful! I don’t envy you the battle but my goodness you are going to have a covetable home!

• Jessica December 4, 2012 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Thanks Annie.

5. wherethejourneytakesme December 4, 2012 at 9:03 pm - Reply

I love how you have created some new curtains in a way that looks ‘meant to be’. That silk is gorgeous – such beautiful warm jewel colours. If you have 16 pairs to do for the rest of the house you will be quite an expert curtain maker!
    PS How is that ‘damn plaster’ coming along?

• Jessica December 4, 2012 at 9:43 pm - Reply

Thanks Viv. We have started painting it, because the units arrive in two days! So far, so good. Luckily the worst damp bits will not be covered up, so we can work on them later if needs be.

• wherethejourneytakesme December 5, 2012 at 11:28 pm - Reply

Lucky you that Santa is coming early and bringing a brand new Kitchen for Christmas!

• Jessica December 6, 2012 at 12:25 am - Reply

And then it will be socks… for the next ten years, at least!

6. ournewlifeinthecountry December 5, 2012 at 8:46 am - Reply

Wow!! They are beautiful. Look every inch the expensive designer curtains and they look lovely in situ, they seem to make everything else look extra posh too.

It will be worth the sore fingers, in a day or two when the blood has dried and the pain subsided you’ll be ready for the next set!!

Well done.

Sue xx

• Jessica December 5, 2012 at 9:22 am - Reply

Thanks Sue. And at a fraction of the cost!

7. BadPenny December 5, 2012 at 9:23 am - Reply

They are gorgeous & lovely warm colours. It’s going to be stunning – lovely to see your progress.

A friend just did this with some chintz curtains donated to the charity shop which were too short for her bedroom. She added a piece in plain fabric & they look stunning.

We have no curtains – just blinds or bare windows ! The kitchen window had slatted wooden venetian blinds which broke & I’ve never replaced them & the lounge has French windows with twinkly lights over them. No one can look into the lounge as there is a field behind & the kitchen window is well shielded by shrubs in the garden so I don’t feel too open to all & sundry !

• Jessica December 5, 2012 at 9:55 am - Reply

Love the sound of your twinkly lights!

Having lived with bare windows for several months now, I do like the extra space and light. Although in the bedroom at 4.00 a.m. light was not quite so welcome!

The kitchen will have roman blinds – my next job. But I haven’t done them before so hope they turn out OK…!

8. Heda December 5, 2012 at 9:57 am - Reply

Well worth the effort. They look gorgeous.

• Jessica December 5, 2012 at 10:20 am - Reply

Thanks Heda, and welcome to rusty duck.
      Next time I’ll make it a bit easier on myself…!

9. john December 5, 2012 at 10:03 am - Reply

an OCD persons……heaven

• Jessica December 5, 2012 at 10:33 am - Reply

Had I known what I was getting into I might never have started it.

10. Denise December 5, 2012 at 11:01 am - Reply

My neighbour is good with anything like this! I make sure I keep in with her. lol! Yours look lovely – really warm on such a cold day like today. Dx keep warm

• Jessica December 5, 2012 at 11:45 am - Reply

Even colder tonight Denise. Those chickens will be huddled up again.. thanks.

11. Rosie December 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm - Reply

Ouch indeed but worth all your sore fingers as your curtains look so beautiful, you have got lots of hard work ahead but you must feel so pleased to have made such a wonderful start with the first two.

• Jessica December 5, 2012 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Thanks Rosie. The next ones will be a lot easier though because (hopefully!) I will have enough fabric. No patchwork!

12. simone December 5, 2012 at 6:43 pm - Reply

You have done a fantastic job! I am still too scared to cut into the fabric to make my curtains!

• Jessica December 5, 2012 at 7:30 pm - Reply

I hope this helps rather than confuses… It’s best if you can clear a big bit of floor and spread it all out, then you can line up pieces as you cut them and make sure that the pattern matches up.

• simone December 5, 2012 at 10:56 pm - Reply

Thanks Jessica!

• Jessica December 6, 2012 at 12:10 am - Reply

No worries. I’ve emailed you too.

13. Josephine December 5, 2012 at 9:50 pm - Reply

They look so warm and inviting, yet not the heavy feeling of those thick winter curtains.
    Your cottage is just gorgeous, I know you have a master plan in mind for the final look, but I could happily live there forever after, right now !
    Well done on the fiddly sewing bits !
    ~Jo

• Jessica December 5, 2012 at 10:08 pm - Reply

Thanks Jo. I wish I could pick it up and move it to Tennessee – I could do with your weather, right now!

14. CherryPie December 6, 2012 at 10:16 pm - Reply

The curtains look fabulous. Forget about your sore fingers, concentrate on being proud of yourself 🙂

• Jessica December 6, 2012 at 10:53 pm - Reply