The Damn Plaster’s Not Drying!

Dreadful.

There is so much moisture trapped in the walls, from the accumulated water leaks of the past, that the new plaster refuses to dry. The cold, damp weather is not helping. Two fan heaters have worked the patch relentlessly for the last four days. The electricity meter numbers are turning over so fast they will have reached the national deficit before the week is out. But every time the heaters take a rest break the damp areas return.

In less than a week the cabinet maker arrives. Painting the walls has not even begun..

Deciding on the colour scheme was easy enough. Living in a dark brown cave for the last few months has permanently affected my psyche.Β Bright and airy neutrals are the new order of the day. Safe? Yes. Boring? Possibly. But light reflective and space enhancing? Definitely.

We visited the stone merchant a few weeks ago to see the granite arrive. The centre island piece will come from the upper right part of this slab. The floor is being laid in limestone of similar tones. It will be a warm off-white for the ceiling and the units. And just a couple of shades deeper for the walls.

Right. Best go and turn up the heaters some more…

2017-11-07T14:16:25+00:00 December 2nd, 2012|Tags: |

1. Em December 2, 2012 at 1:41 pm - Reply

That limestone is lovely. When we moved into this house, the entire place was new plaster. It was only after two years that the place felt truly warm and I’m sure that was down to the fact that it takes months and months for it to dry out properly…..don’t want to depress you or anything! It took the paint fine but underneath it was still drying out. It’s all going to look gorgeous by the sound of it. Can’t wait to see the pictures. There’s nothing wrong with safe!

• Jessica December 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm - Reply

Thanks Em. It’s good to know that the plaster will take a coat of paint. We are left with little choice!

2. simone December 2, 2012 at 6:10 pm - Reply

It never rains but it pours doesn’t it? You should invite Mike’s plumber to come around to spout his hot air – that should get the walls drying!!! I think light neutrals are a good choice as you can add colour and pattern with furnishings and pictures. The wall is just a backdrop after all!

• Jessica December 2, 2012 at 6:52 pm - Reply

Mike’s plumber will be back soon enough πŸ™
      Especially in a working area, like a kitchen, you can’t go wrong with neutrals, can you? And they will stand the test of time.

3. BadPenny December 2, 2012 at 7:06 pm - Reply

Trying to dry out wet dog as I type… I love your colour scheme & I really hope it starts to dry out for you ( she says as the damp climbs her walls …..)

• Jessica December 2, 2012 at 8:30 pm - Reply

For you and me both! And the dog..
      It makes me think about all the people who have been flooded, who will have this problem on a much greater scale.

4. Cumbrian December 2, 2012 at 8:55 pm - Reply

Rule of thumb for wet walls is they dry out at the rate of one month for each inch of thickness.

• Jessica December 2, 2012 at 9:39 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tip, Cumbrian.. it takes an awful lot longer than I thought!

5. CherryPie December 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm - Reply

I always go for bright and airy neutrals, they lift my spirits and help my creativity.

I find them inspiring not boring πŸ™‚

I have more than my fair share of leaks over the years. I hope you plaster dries out soon, I know how frustrating wet and damp patches are…

• Jessica December 2, 2012 at 9:43 pm - Reply

Thanks Cherie.

6. rachel December 2, 2012 at 11:33 pm - Reply

When I had the utility room’s (old garden) wall ‘tanked’ a year ago, with a thick layer of plaster, we had an industrial dehumidifier running day and night for days before the first coat of paint could go on, and I was told that I would need a hot dry summer for it to dry out thoroughly. And is it dry? Of course not…..

• Jessica December 3, 2012 at 9:37 am - Reply

This year’s weather has so much to answer for, Rachel.

7. JOsephine December 3, 2012 at 3:24 am - Reply

Good luck with the drying out bit, every time we have a hard rain, we have to dry out the garage, you’d think after twenty five years we would have it sorted, but no…..

• Jessica December 3, 2012 at 9:59 am - Reply

Thanks Jo. The garage sounds like one of those things you have just come to live with!

8. Rosie December 3, 2012 at 8:55 am - Reply

Bright and airy neutrals sound just the ticket for lifting your spirits as you can add colour in other things later if you want to. Good luck with the drying out process:)

• Jessica December 3, 2012 at 10:03 am - Reply

Thanks Rosie. Some splodges of colour somewhere to make a statement I thought!

9. Sue December 3, 2012 at 12:39 pm - Reply

Neutralsa work best every time,I usually gofor creamy shades, but this time Lovely Hubby persuaded me to go for white, I thought it would be stark and cold, but no it just makes everything else we’ve got look wonderfully colourful and soothing.

I hope your walls dry out soon, will the paint you’ve chosen still let them breathe?

Sue xx

• Jessica December 3, 2012 at 1:42 pm - Reply

The kitchen is in a ‘modern’ brick built extension. So we’d bought modern emulsion for here. When we get to the rest of the house, where the walls are cob, I’d like to use distemper. It has a lovely chalky texture, better suited to old walls as well as allowing them to breathe.

10. shaz December 3, 2012 at 4:11 pm - Reply

The granite is lovely and the paint will look fab

we recently bought one of these to help with a condensation issue it sucks the moisture out a a hell of a rate and they deliver next day not cheap but well worth the money for us it meant we dryed the wall out enough to save having to get it replastered

• Jessica December 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm - Reply

That’s a really useful link Shaz, thank you very much.

11. Sue December 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm - Reply

Sounkds like a very good plan.

Sorry for any mistakes, I’m on Lovely Hubby’s ancient laptop today, it’s just too cold in our office, our main computer is loading too slowly, but this one is hysterical the pound sign is missing, and the @ is above teo teo and the speech marks above the apostrophe, there are more keys that I’ve not been able to find yet oh and the letter D pops off each time I press it πŸ™‚ !!

I can’t wait to see your finished kitchen.

Sue xx

• Jessica December 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm - Reply

And there was me thinking you were still hungover from Friday night… πŸ™‚

I have a very old laptop that Other Half insisted I used when I first started blogging back in June. I do remember spilling coffee in it once when I was using it as my only laptop. So now j k l and ; all make a peculiar crunching sound when I press them… I can never find @ or any punctuation marks. As yet, no letters have fallen off though..

12. Sue December 3, 2012 at 4:39 pm - Reply

πŸ™ I give up!!

• Jessica December 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm - Reply

Please don’t. I would miss you! Jx

13. john December 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm - Reply

oh to have a lovely kitchen…..
    it WILL be worth it! E V E N T U A L L Y !

• Jessica December 3, 2012 at 5:09 pm - Reply

That’s what I keep telling myself, John. Over and over..

14. Denise December 3, 2012 at 11:27 pm - Reply

Love it! We have granite worktops and seeing the granite in it’s hugs state prior to cutting up is quite awesome! We are now “finishing off” ………..hmmmmmmmmmmm a year later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jessica December 3, 2012 at 11:54 pm - Reply

Thanks Denise, although I don’t think I will have my sanity if we are still doing the kitchen in a year’s time…

15. wherethejourneytakesme December 4, 2012 at 12:04 am - Reply

My daughter had same drying out problems with their bathroom – that is one of the reasons the 3 weeks turned into 10 months! Hope you manage to get it sorted – we have a damp patch on the chimney breast at the cottage that comes and goes so we have left it bare of paint until we get the new roof hopefully this next year. Water is such a difficult thing to deal with it seeps everywhere given a chance. Keep us posted.

• Jessica December 4, 2012 at 12:55 am - Reply

Oh, I hope the new roof sorts it out. The West Coast, north or south, attracts an awful lot of rain!

16. Julie December 4, 2012 at 9:06 am - Reply

It will be worth it when it’s done. We renovated a house once, so you have my sympathies. Once we’d finished we moved to something brand new! I’ve forgotten how awful it was now and would love to do it again! I’ll keep following you it might make me stay where I am! Julie x

• Jessica December 4, 2012 at 9:48 am - Reply

Oh dear, I wouldn’t want to put anyone off! This is our second total renovation. It is easy to forget after the event how difficult it all is but, yes, I hope it will be worth it in the end!

17. Modern Country Style December 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm - Reply

Oooh, I’m loving your colour choices! And the stone is BEAUTIFUL! I’m so excited to see it all come together…once the plaster dries! You must be sooooo frustrated.

Sarahx

• Jessica December 5, 2012 at 9:43 pm - Reply

It’s a case of carrying on regardless now Sarah, and hope for the best. Thanks!

18. Natalie December 11, 2012 at 1:34 am - Reply

That stone is gorgeous!! Good luck with the plaster issues. Dampness, ugh….

• Jessica December 11, 2012 at 10:08 am - Reply