Trouble In The Tool Shed

In last week’s gales several large tree branches came crashing down. A further limb was left dangling, partially severed, perilously close to the steps that we use daily to go up to the garage or to collect the post. Mike decided that he would finish off the job. That was until he went to get the chainsaw. The mice have chewed off its rubber priming bubble. It’s a bit that apparently has a crucial role to play in getting petrol to the engine.

Creatures in the garden tend, by their nature, to be mine. ‘Wife’s woodpecker’, ‘Wife’s owl’, you get the drift. And never more so than when they have dropped me in it in some way. As now. It will be a week before we get the chainsaw back, £35 the poorer. And that’s without the cost of the two 30 mile round trips to the nearest agricultural equipment dealer.

Those mice are starting to become a serious liability.

Trouble In The Tool Shed

pin it?

2017-03-04T18:22:40+00:00 November 28th, 2012|Tags: |32 Comments

1. simone November 28, 2012 at 5:20 pm - Reply

………….and creatures in the house tend to be Mike’s. Mike’s plumber for instance! You have certainly had your share of trials and tribulations since looking for a quieter life!!! I hope that things settle down soon for you.

• Jessica November 28, 2012 at 6:04 pm - Reply

I’m beginning to wonder if life can EVER be quiet..!

2. BadPenny November 28, 2012 at 8:55 pm - Reply

Yes the plumber certianly belongs to Mike … does he know ? I’d always side with the critters…..

• Jessica November 28, 2012 at 9:48 pm - Reply

He knows. So would I.

3. Mise November 28, 2012 at 9:40 pm - Reply

What an utterly charming shed, and what are those I see hanging on it? Some sort of cutting implement?

• Jessica November 28, 2012 at 9:58 pm - Reply

I would guess some sort of sythe. But don’t hold me to it. They came with the house.

4. elaine November 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm - Reply

Perhaps you should start feeding the mice then they may leave the other stuff alone – just a thought

• Jessica November 28, 2012 at 10:18 pm - Reply

I’ve got to do something Elaine. I’d like to live with them in peace, but the situation is getting desperate..

5. CherryPie November 28, 2012 at 10:23 pm - Reply

I think I much prefer the woodpecker and the owl over the plumber. And I suspect the mouse was making a statement due to the wrong choice of plumber 😉

• Jessica November 28, 2012 at 11:08 pm - Reply

Mice are smarter than they look.

6. wherethejourneytakesme November 28, 2012 at 10:52 pm - Reply

Oh the joys of living a quiet life in the country!

• Jessica November 28, 2012 at 11:20 pm - Reply

I have it on good authority that Yorkshire mice are even worse. And the further north you go…

• wherethejourneytakesme November 29, 2012 at 11:28 pm - Reply

The Yorkshire mice are very noisy because of their clogs and I think our talented Scottish mice wear kilts and play bagpipes!

• Jessica November 30, 2012 at 9:19 am - Reply

Ha Ha! Ours are just too busy multiplying..

7. Ali November 29, 2012 at 6:44 am - Reply

The things those furry rodents decide to find tasty. I learned my lesson about our garage when I left a car seat in there for a few days and they stripped it of stuffing. Boy their nests must have been warm that year.

• Jessica November 29, 2012 at 10:16 am - Reply

They certainly know how to make themselves at home! Little devils.

8. Anny November 29, 2012 at 8:28 am - Reply

A few years ago, my husband decided to take his rust heap (Triumph Spitfire) to store in a friend’s barn. As he started it up – for the first time in about five years – I gagged at the smell of petrol and asked him why liquid was spraying around the engine… We survived, but no thanks to those mice who’d nibbled through a fuel line. All part of their evil plan for world domination.

• Jessica November 29, 2012 at 10:32 am - Reply

Hello Anny, and welcome to rusty duck.
      What IS it about mice and petrol? Good grief, you had a lucky escape. And I totally agree with you. Mice will inherit the earth.

9. Rosie November 29, 2012 at 9:15 am - Reply

What a super shed! No wonder the mice have made their home there! Isn’t it weird what those little creatures will nibble at. I’ve never heard of rubber priming bubbles before but obviously they are quite a delicacy for the mice. Just be careful of the squirrels nibbling the electric wires around your buildings, I know a couple of folks who had that happen:)

• Jessica November 29, 2012 at 10:44 am - Reply

Thanks Rosie. I can hear those damn mice scuttling about in the roof whenever I’m in that shed! I dread to think how many of them there are about the place. Certainly they outnumber us many many times over.

10. Em November 29, 2012 at 10:10 am - Reply

I love your shed and clearly, so do the mice!

• Jessica November 29, 2012 at 10:52 am - Reply

Thanks Em. It’s the only ‘rustic’ outbuilding we have and one day I’d like to make more of it. It’s way down the list of priorities, but I’m thinking potting shed, as it has a window. It will need damp proofing and, of course, eviction of current tenants!

11. Vera November 29, 2012 at 3:18 pm - Reply

OOOhhh dear! Living in the country, well, there is always something happening isn’t there! Love that shed. Shame about the current residents!

• Jessica November 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm - Reply

Sharp frost here last night… perhaps they will be thinking about hibernating soon?

12. finlaygray November 29, 2012 at 5:06 pm - Reply

I so want your shed!
    its lovely

• Jessica November 29, 2012 at 5:15 pm - Reply

Thanks John!
      Supper for Albert included..

13. knitsofacto November 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm - Reply

The mice in these parts have scoffed the innards of a computer that was stored in my mother’s loft … the only bits they didn’t eat were the metal parts, and the mouse!

• Jessica November 29, 2012 at 10:32 pm - Reply

Oh no! Did they ask for vinegar to go with their chips?

14. Josephine November 30, 2012 at 12:18 am - Reply

They tend to take over if left to their own devices.
    My husband’s truck once had a nest of them living in the engine compartment, needless to say, we make sure it is started up every week or so.

• Jessica November 30, 2012 at 9:21 am - Reply

It sounds like your mouse problem is even worse than mine, Jo!

15. Natalie November 30, 2012 at 2:07 am - Reply

I can’t believe the mice damaged the chainsaw. Well, I can believe it but it’s appalling! :0

Love your shed.