Down In The Woods

A number of our trees are Ash.

Ash dieback has not reached us yet but it is probably only a matter of time. The landscape is constantly changing. Things come and they go. Gaps will appear in the woodland and perhaps we’ll get a better view of the hills on the opposite side of the valley. No doubt I’ll have the opportunity to replant with something new. But it will still be a very great shame to have to witness their loss.

2017-03-04T18:27:38+00:00 November 14th, 2012|Tags: |24 Comments

1. BadPenny November 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm - Reply

Oh that would be awful. I live near the New Forest. No poorly Ash there so far either.

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 5:29 pm - Reply

Let’s hope it stays that way!

2. Em November 14, 2012 at 6:12 pm - Reply

Not here either but I can’t see how it’s to be avoided now. It’s like watching a VERY slow car crash and not being able to stop it.

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 6:21 pm - Reply

That’s a good analogy, Em.

3. Sue November 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm - Reply

It is a terrible situation isn’t it, and as usual the Government are only just starting to react. Seemingly they were warned ages ago.

Sue xx

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 6:32 pm - Reply

Why am I not surprised. Now a lot of scrabbling around to find a ‘cure’ before it’s too late.

4. simone November 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm - Reply

That is really sad Jessica. I remember my Dad talking about trees with ‘Dutch Elm disease’ many years ago, and of how very sad he was at the loss of trees. Fingers crossed that your trees will not be affected. x

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 6:59 pm - Reply

I don’t remember much about it either, apart from through my parents. This time it will be different.

5. Vera November 14, 2012 at 7:24 pm - Reply

I remember Dutch Elm disease, and it really did change the landscape in the countryside. No news of any problems with Ash down here in SW France. Our small woodland has a lot of Ash in it, so fingers crossed that it doesn’t get down here. Hope it does not get to your woodland either.

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 7:34 pm - Reply

The biggest problem is for the birds. Our woodpeckers and nuthatches spend an awful lot of their time in the Ash trees.

6. CherryPie November 14, 2012 at 9:16 pm - Reply

It is a shame that such magnificent trees get diseases in this way. I noticed earlier this year that the Oak trees in Attingham Park were diseased and they were wondering how to deal with it:

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 9:26 pm - Reply

That is scary stuff, Cherry. Oaks and Ash..

7. starproms November 14, 2012 at 9:37 pm - Reply

Hmmm! so sad. Here in Bedfordshire we have problems already, but I hope it isn’t in my own wood. Good luck to you down there!

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 10:09 pm - Reply

Let’s hope the science will provide a solution. Thanks Oma.

8. john November 14, 2012 at 9:47 pm - Reply

ITS ONLY A MATTER of time
    the most chilling sentence known to man

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 10:21 pm - Reply

The 2nd law of thermodynamics. Entropy rules.

9. Natalie November 15, 2012 at 12:12 am - Reply

I hate it when trees die! We lived in British Columbia six years ago, just when the Mountain pine beetle was decimating the pine population. It was so sad to see acres and acres of dead pine trees all across the mountains. Hope your ashes somehow manage to survive!

• Jessica November 15, 2012 at 8:23 am - Reply

Sometimes it’s hard to be a nature lover. Glad you had a good holiday Natalie.

10. elaine November 15, 2012 at 7:25 am - Reply

The loss of any trees is very sad and fairly catastrophic but I am sure they will return – ash seedlings grow quite prolifically – my garden is full of them.

• Jessica November 15, 2012 at 8:30 am - Reply

I hope so Elaine.

11. ropcorn November 15, 2012 at 11:58 am - Reply

Though I am not sure what Ash is, from reading some of the comments here it seems to be a disease. So I sure hope the forest, trees, recover soon. Never fun when anything/anyone is sick.

• Jessica November 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm - Reply

During the 1970s/80s virtually every Elm tree in England was lost to Dutch Elm disease. There is now another disease that threatens to do the same to our Ash trees.

12. Rosie November 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm - Reply

There are ash trees the other side of our holly hedge at the top of the garden and their seedlings take root all over especially in the raised beds, I haven’t noticed so may this year as last. It seems that there is a problem with Oak trees as well as Ash trees. I love trees and hate to think of losing them:)

• Jessica November 15, 2012 at 3:34 pm - Reply

Yes, me too. The countryside would be a very different place.