Demolition!

At last. Some progress to report on kitchen works. A crowbar ripping out that old cupboard partition marks the start of something I’ve been looking forward to for quite some time.

It may only be a small cupboard, but look at the difference its absence makes to the proportions of the room.

Before

The pantry (behind the fridge) was demolished too.

The kitchen units, apart from the sink, have been removed and scrapped. They were rotting at the base from the water pipe leak. A temporary kitchen has been bolted together in the hall and the fridge now resides in the dining room. It’s far from ideal but signifies progress and that is good enough for me.

But perhaps the most remarkable difference comes from the light. Those cork tiles were not easy to get off. But boy, was it worth it. Even if it has just revealed another job. Now I’ve got wallpaper to strip as well!

2017-11-07T13:57:22+00:00 November 12th, 2012|Tags: |

1. Vera November 12, 2012 at 11:00 am - Reply

Jessica, camping out in the hallway will be worth it, I promise you. Will give you an excuse not to have to cook much! Love your kitchen windows, and those cork tiles. I remember them when they were in fashion. Liked them then, would not now. Looking forward to seeing how your kitchen turns out. It will be finished long before mine will be!

• Jessica November 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm - Reply

Hi Vera, the thing I hated most about the cork was how dark the room looked. So much lighter now. Hope your work is going well too.

2. simone November 12, 2012 at 5:34 pm - Reply

The extra space certainly lets more light into the room doesn’t it? You have been very quiet on the squirrel front Jessica! Has the new bird feeder been successful?

• Jessica November 12, 2012 at 6:39 pm - Reply

It’s a completely different room, Simone.
      On the squirrel front, so far so good. Certainly they have not been around as much this week. But they may be plotting..

3. Denise November 12, 2012 at 6:15 pm - Reply

Oh I am going to love this – we were there 2 years ago and still have a couple of finishing off jobs to do – but sitting here on a cold night feeling a warm Rayburn glow is wonderful and well worth the upset. Dx

• Jessica November 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm - Reply

I’m so envious of your Rayburn. We debated long and hard and decided in the end that we wouldn’t have the space. But in the future we may extend the kitchen (it’s been designed in modules with that in mind), and then definitely!

4. john November 12, 2012 at 6:44 pm - Reply

I would love not to cook for a few months…… knowing my luck I would put on 4 stone in weight

• Jessica November 12, 2012 at 7:02 pm - Reply

You and me both, John!

5. rachel November 12, 2012 at 8:49 pm - Reply

Oh, how I love a bit of domestic demolition! And to get rid of cork tiles – even better. Looking forward to seeing the finished kitchen.

• Jessica November 12, 2012 at 9:30 pm - Reply

We are trying to do as much of the work as we can ourselves, to keep the costs down. But sometimes it can be cathartic as well!!

6. Rosie November 12, 2012 at 9:16 pm - Reply

Those tiles were all the rage at one time but are the very devil to get off the walls. Your kitchen looks very light and airy now such a difference:)

• Jessica November 12, 2012 at 9:35 pm - Reply

It took me ages working away with a scraper. A few holes in the plaster to fill as well 🙁 But definitely worth it. Thanks Rosie.

7. CherryPie November 12, 2012 at 9:53 pm - Reply

I am looking forward to seeing the transformation. I had my kitchen units replaced and added to earlier this year and I am loving it 🙂

• Jessica November 12, 2012 at 10:23 pm - Reply

Your house must be looking really smart now, with the bathroom as well. 🙂

8. Sue November 13, 2012 at 7:38 am - Reply

Wow…what a difference, I did this many years ago, knocked a small pantry down to gain back the space in the kitchen and it is amazing how much extra space you get.

And it looks soooooo much better without those awful cork tiles, I guess they were put up as a insulating/decorating trick many moons ago. How relieved your walls will be to be able to breathe again.

Sue xx

• Jessica November 13, 2012 at 8:41 am - Reply

Pantries are coming back into fashion, I know. But there needs to be space and here there isn’t. The larder cupboard we’ll put in instead is a much better option for now.

9. BadPenny November 13, 2012 at 8:10 am - Reply

Those cork tiles bring back memories ! What a wonderful space you have to play with now & how lovely your kitchen will look.

• Jessica November 13, 2012 at 8:44 am - Reply

Right for their time, eh? I hope it will look even better when it is painted one (light!) colour.

10. elaine November 13, 2012 at 11:31 am - Reply

Whoever invented cork tiles for walls wants shooting. It just looks so much lighter – can’t wait to see the end result.

• Jessica November 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm - Reply

I have probably over compensated now. Everything going back in will be very light or light reflective. Thanks Elaine.

11. BumbleVee November 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm - Reply

ohhh, poor you ….renovations. I know it well. I am still living in the basement … it all began around her in mid July….and it continues today and for at least a few weeks more.
    We have done many renos ourselves..but, t his one we hired a contractor …a good one with a great reputation and whose work I have seen before ……..and still so many things have not gone swimmingly….. each of the trades left some disaster or other . I can’t wait to see the end of it all.
    My cabinets are the stumbling block at the moment…. not one panel or opening was right for any appliance …and are being re-done.. so…..we …….wait………………..

I wish you luck with yours…. everybody keep saying it will be great in the end…but, I’m not so sure ……

• Jessica November 13, 2012 at 5:16 pm - Reply

Hello BumbleVee, and welcome to rusty duck!
      I am beginning to think that disasters and things not going to plan just goes with the territory. Have reno, have grief! But we have done a major one before as well, and it does usually come right in the end. How much it has shortened my life is another matter altogether!

12. BumbleVee November 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm - Reply

ps…our fridge is out in the garage….and it is now getting to minus digits…last week it was -18C …. not quite that inside …but darn cold….I hated going out there for milk or whatever. …. I want my fridge back inside and I want it in here NOW!

• Jessica November 13, 2012 at 5:21 pm - Reply

I’ve just had a peek at your lovely blog… good grief! I hope it isn’t going to be a bad winter, UK or Canada.

13. knitsofacto November 13, 2012 at 10:32 pm - Reply

Gosh, that looks a million times better doesn’t it … all that light! I hope we’re going to get lots of pics of the steps along the way 😀

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 10:21 am - Reply

It does. I was going to balance it a bit, rather than bombard people with lots of partly constructed cupboards. Just the highlights and, undoubtedly, the lows!

14. Elaine November 14, 2012 at 8:23 am - Reply

hi, many thanks for your comment- alas, bumblehead that I am, by the time I’d read all your past blogs and weighed-up the pros-and-cons of keeping the wallpaper in the kitchen, I’ve forgotten what you said!
    Doh.
    We’re back to Trull in Fenruary, and North Cadbury in March…

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 10:30 am - Reply

Happens to me all the time Elaine! I’ll make a note of Trull.
      Thank you for stopping by, and welcome to rusty duck!

15. Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden November 14, 2012 at 8:48 am - Reply

Cor, What a difference. Your demolition exercise prompts me to think seriously about ripping out my dark wood grain veneer cabinetry and rotting mdf kitchen sink unit …

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 10:43 am - Reply

It has made a difference but be warned, ripping out a kitchen is VERY disruptive. Last time we did it we moved rooms, so could keep the old one going during the process. This time… aaarrgghh! The old units were seriously rotting. There were at least two pipe leaks, which hopefully we’ve managed to cure. But by the look of it they had been leaking for years.

16. katlorienKath November 14, 2012 at 9:46 am - Reply

You have my sympathy, I have lived on a building site most of my married life and was without a kitchen for 9 months where we live now!
    I shall enjoy watching your progress.

• Jessica November 14, 2012 at 10:46 am - Reply

Thanks Kath. It’s one of the ‘joys’ of buying an old house isn’t it? The perpetual building site!
      Welcome to rusty duck!

17. ropcorn November 15, 2012 at 11:46 am - Reply

I love seeing before and after pics! Hehe. So I look forward to seeing how it all turns out. :p

• Jessica November 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Thanks Alexandra. The room looks so much better already.

18. Natalie November 15, 2012 at 11:52 am - Reply

Wow, what a job!! Who thought corking the walls was a good idea?! I remember cork tiles being “in” back in the 70s. It must have felt great getting them off, and knocking down those walls!

• Jessica November 15, 2012 at 3:01 pm - Reply

The whole kitchen was of that era. Nay, the whole house is. The guy we bought it from was 89.