Bird Feeder, Mark III

From deep within the workshop, something has been stirring. Or hammering.

With due ceremony, Mike’s latest upgrade to the bird feeder emerged. It still has the industrial strength mesh on the front. The wooden sides and back have been completely replaced. The only original part now is the already nobbled top. But there will be no more nibbling around the sides of the extra strong mesh. Oh no. Mike has used pieces of aluminium sheeting recovered from the ‘scrap yard’ at one end of the garden.

It reminds me of the construction of a Securicor van.

Or, for any Star Trek fans out there, something that has been partially assimilated by the Borg.

Rustic? No.

Will it work? Watch this space.

Bird Feeder Mark III

pin it?

2017-03-04T18:29:43+00:00 November 7th, 2012|Tags: |28 Comments

1. Sue November 7, 2012 at 11:41 am - Reply

A borg birdfeeder – I like it. Good luck.

• Jessica November 7, 2012 at 11:50 am - Reply

We’ll need it. Thanks, Sue!

2. BadPenny November 7, 2012 at 4:19 pm - Reply

Perhaps you could patent it ?!
    I don’t put out peanuts as the birds leave them & they go mouldy ! So it’s seeds, bread, fat etc on the bird table & fat balls in a feeder. I get about five woodpigeons daily & masses of young starlings. When they’ve all finished, the smaller birds get a look in !
    No squirrels though…

• Jessica November 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm - Reply

Or sell some! We will need to establish Proof of Concept first. I wonder if your cats keep the squirrels away too.

3. Vera November 7, 2012 at 5:11 pm - Reply

Oh thankyou for the smile that is on my face as I read your blog. I am taking a few minutes off from big jobs in the house, feel tired, feel as if I shall never get the house straight again, thought I would have a look in blogland as a respite, and there you were, Jessica, giving me smile! Can’t give any comments about the bird feeder though! Hope it works!

• Jessica November 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm - Reply

Thank you Vera, and for all the smiles I get from your blog too. Jx

4. john November 7, 2012 at 5:43 pm - Reply

if that is a borg feeder
    that makes you 7 of 9

• Jessica November 7, 2012 at 6:09 pm - Reply

Of course, I look just like her…

5. simone November 7, 2012 at 7:18 pm - Reply

I am so looking forward to an update!

• Jessica November 7, 2012 at 8:08 pm - Reply

What will they make of it now I wonder..??

6. Josephine November 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm - Reply

I place my bet on the squirrels, they’ll finish the wood off. The squirrels ate my potting shed vents right out of the wall, made out of steel, although I have a sneeky feeling it was not the best grade.
    I admire your determination !

• Jessica November 7, 2012 at 11:00 pm - Reply

I have to match the determination of the squirrels Jo. I don’t care how long it takes… I can’t remove them (more will come in from the woods), but I can make it friggin’ hard!

7. wherethejourneytakesme November 7, 2012 at 11:16 pm - Reply

My dad had squirrels and he battled with them for years inventing one contraption after another – needless to say they overcame everything he did – I think it became a game in the end. Guess who won!! I wish you every luck with your armoured bird feeder but I suspect you may well have to put it inside a Securicor van to keep the squirrels out!!

• Jessica November 7, 2012 at 11:43 pm - Reply

You’re so right – it is a game with them. They know we’re coming after them, they always make sure they’re just that little bit out of reach! But I’m not giving up..

8. BadPenny November 8, 2012 at 8:59 am - Reply

Where my mother lives in a row of twelve cottages with all retired lady tennants there are are a lot of rules. No dogs & no bird tables ! Well one tennant has a dog & one has a bird table ! Mum hangs her bird feeders on her hedge & chucks out crusts & seeds on to the grass. There are very tall trees all around & the squirrels come for the scraps. It annoys some of mum’s neighbours !

• Jessica November 8, 2012 at 9:09 am - Reply

What on earth is wrong with bird tables? The only thing I can think of is that they might encourage mice and rats, but the pleasure they give is enormous. Especially if people are not able to get out and about as much as they did.
      In my mother’s nursing home I’ve seen transparent feeders that stick to the outside of the window.

9. Rosie November 8, 2012 at 11:56 am - Reply

That does look as if it will repel all squirrel type borders! Hope it works:)

• Jessica November 8, 2012 at 1:51 pm - Reply

They spend a long time trying to gnaw through the strong mesh, and do get some small pieces of nut. But no signs yet that the metal is wearing through. Eventually they get fed up and the birds get a look in!

10. Natalie November 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm - Reply

If a squirrel can get through that, I’d award him a medal!

• Jessica November 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm - Reply

It may need to be posthumous, given how much aluminium he will have ingested by then…

11. knitsofacto November 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm - Reply

Now I hate to be negative about this but those pesky squirrels will find a way, trust me (see my comment on your last post 😉 )

• Jessica November 8, 2012 at 5:34 pm - Reply

It has become a battle of wits… and we’re so far in now, carrying on is the only option..

12. Molly November 8, 2012 at 8:36 pm - Reply

It looks squirrel proof sure enough. They’ll certainly have to sharpen their teeth to get the other side that one. Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting.

• Jessica November 8, 2012 at 8:57 pm - Reply

I can only hope, Molly. Welcome to rusty duck!

13. CherryPie November 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm - Reply

Very ingenious, I hope it works…

If it does you need to patent it 😉

• Jessica November 8, 2012 at 11:29 pm - Reply

Hmm. Might need a bit of attention from the marketing men first!!

14. Sue November 9, 2012 at 12:58 pm - Reply

I see a squirrel lurking in the undergrowth….is that a tin opener clutched in his little paw?

Lol!!

Good luck.

Sue xx

• Jessica November 9, 2012 at 1:07 pm - Reply

Sue, I wouldn’t be in the least surprised !!!!!