[layerslider id="5"]

Mature trees look so stately in summer. Come October the leaves start to turn yellow and bronze and we ooh and arrh at the sheer beauty of it all. But then they start to fall. Just how many leaves does your average oak or beech tree have? They are probably only about 25% down and already we are inundated.

Don’t try this way down in the dark. Or laden with grocery shopping bags.

The peace is shattered by the firing up of yet another motorised toy. But this Stihl, hopefully, won’t get us into quite as much trouble as the last.

Some of the leaves could be blown into the woods, to rot back naturally into the soil. The compost bin got filled to the brim. But we’ve still barely scratched the surface.

This year, regrettably, there’s only one way to go.

For next year I’ll construct a leaf bin. A very large one indeed.

2017-03-04T18:42:19+00:00 October 28th, 2012|Tags: , |

1. wherethejourneytakesme October 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm - Reply

We have just the same problem – especially how to get them off the lawned area so it doesn’t ‘leave’ us with bare patches next year! Our worst spot is the problem pond – it must have been installed by the previous owners before they planted the wood (as you would definitely be mad to put a pond under so many trees).

• Jessica October 28, 2012 at 4:39 pm - Reply

Your previous owners get about. We have a ‘pond’ under the trees as well. But it leaks, hardly lives up to its name anymore, and will be a problem for another year. If I can reinstate it though, it will give me a place for the ducks.. 🙂
      Hope you had a good time in Shrewsbury.

• wherethejourneytakesme October 30, 2012 at 6:50 pm - Reply

I hadn’t thought about ducks but we couldn’t have ducks in Scotland while we are in Yorkshire! I really do not like Frogs so my pond is not very wildlife friendly at the moment but I do like ducks – what do they eat (and don’t say Frogs!)

• Jessica October 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm - Reply

They do eat frogs… but I’m hoping they might find slugs somewhat tastier.

2. simone October 28, 2012 at 6:26 pm - Reply

Poor you! I spent ages filling up our green waste recycling bin with leaves raked up from my lawn. Next morning it was as though it had all been a dream and the grass was covered in leaves again! I have heard that leaf mulch makes a very good compost just to make you feel better!!!

• Jessica October 28, 2012 at 6:36 pm - Reply

It does indeed, which is why I want to try and save more leaves next year. Poor you too!

3. CherryPie October 28, 2012 at 9:50 pm - Reply

There are still leaves in my garden from last fall. The tree I call ‘My Oak Tree’ likes to give me gifts 🙂

• Jessica October 28, 2012 at 10:28 pm - Reply

I fear it’s the same for me. Plenty of organic matter for the soil!

4. Lyn October 28, 2012 at 10:10 pm - Reply

Not quite so many in our garden as we has way too many conifer type trees. Next year you will have the makingof great leaf mulch. Thank you for leavinga lovely comment on my blog today. X

• Jessica October 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm - Reply

I hope so, Lyn. Welcome to rusty duck. Your blog is great, and I will be back.

5. Sue October 29, 2012 at 8:04 am - Reply

We cleared a huge stretch of our 2 acre field yesterday, inside and outside chicken world and piled it into my ‘found’ large metal crate (about the size of a large pallet boxe), as we were doing it more leaves were raining down on us if we hadn’t been having so much fun we would have cried.

But it is worth it in 18 months we will have some wonderful usable leaf mulch compost for the veggie patches.

Back to it again today another 2 acres to do 🙂

• Jessica October 29, 2012 at 9:03 am - Reply

It has rained hard here overnight. Wet stuff and more leaves. Wet and mushy leaves. 🙁

6. BadPenny October 29, 2012 at 8:38 am - Reply

I raked leaves from our path yesterday bringing a lot of gravel with it ! Also cleared some from the grass but carefully as it was newly sewn grass in the summer and still very fine & patchy.
    What a task you have – a leaf compost heap sounds a good idea !

• Jessica October 29, 2012 at 9:09 am - Reply

Yes, I regret having to burn so many this year. Leaf compost is great stuff. Sounds like you have quite a task too.
      Our newly sown grass is also patchy, and the ground waterlogged! Not sure how it will cope over the winter. I think we may be seeding again in the Spring.

7. jabblog uk. October 29, 2012 at 4:35 pm - Reply

Love the robin on one of your rusty ducks:-)

The trees are beautiful but the fallen leaves can be so treacherous when they’re wet. In our garden they just get trodden into the quagmire. Four dogs galumphing round solve many problems – and create many more;-)

• Jessica October 29, 2012 at 5:23 pm - Reply

Hi jabblog, thank you and welcome to rusty duck. I laughed at your dogs’ contribution to house restyling on your lovely blog. The quagmire I can identify with. Oh yes!

8. starproms October 29, 2012 at 8:18 pm - Reply

I won’t have that to do this year because my neighbours have just pruned all their trees! Now that makes me sad because I was looking forward so much to watching the leaves fall and now I can’t. I also noticed this morning that one of them blocked out the sun and stopped it shining in my eyes so now I have to put the blind halfway down at the window. Bother!

• Jessica October 29, 2012 at 11:09 pm - Reply

Oh, that’s a shame. But maybe you will have more sun in the garden now?

9. Vera October 29, 2012 at 8:38 pm - Reply

Most of our oak trees still have their leaf, but when they do fall we shall let them stay where they are, although when I have time I am going to try putting them in to plastic bags to rot down. Can’t remember exactly what I need to do but will post up an Internet search to find the info. Lovely photos by the way!

• Jessica October 29, 2012 at 11:16 pm - Reply

That’s a good idea Vera, and I will try it too. I think all you do is put the leaves in a bin bag, together with a shovel full of soil (to provide some bacteria). Then tie it up and punch some holes in it. Maybe give it a shake every so often.

10. Natalie October 30, 2012 at 1:17 am - Reply

Beautiful photos! Our leaves all blow away across the fields. Easy disposal.:)

• Jessica October 30, 2012 at 9:27 am - Reply

Thanks Natalie. We are on the side of a valley, so quite sheltered. But it also makes us leaf collection point for the county, or so it seems!

• Natalie October 30, 2012 at 12:02 pm - Reply

You are the Bermuda Triangle for leaves!

• Jessica October 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm - Reply

Exactly how it feels! Should I ever disappear, without a trace, please tell them to look under the leaves…

11. Rosie October 30, 2012 at 8:59 am - Reply

Our lawn is covered again today after yesterday’s clearing. When i walked into town the pavements were covered in leaves, it looks as if the council aren’t blowing them away this year, which is ok if you like crunching through them as I do but the first signs of rain and they become slippy and as dangerous underfoot as ice.

• Jessica October 30, 2012 at 9:42 am - Reply

Quite. We have the additional problem of algae and moss making all our steps and paths slippery. Mike has been constantly cleaning that away too, but with all the summer rain it just keeps coming back. I often get the feeling I’m living in a primeval forest. Moss grows on everything, and ferns grow on tree branches. Even our roof has gone green. 🙁