For Want Of An App..

We had a second day out last week. Well, the weather is about to get colder. And, as you may recall, we’re a bit behind the curve on National Trust value for money this year. We decided to head for Trerice, near Newquay in Cornwall. Yours truly was responsible for navigating AND finding a place for lunch.

Picture the scene if you will. I have set up the route on my aged iPhone and in spite of the occasional breaks in signal we seem to be doing OK. Lunch is a different matter entirely. The full web version of the Good Pub Guide is taking FOREVER to download. And Newquay is coming up fast. With pressure mounting to nominate the required exit off the A30, I’m still having to toggle between the map and yet-to-be-determined location for lunch.. and tempers are starting to fray.

The pub that eventually appears at the top of the list gets the Good Pub Guide seal of approval. Before the signal dies again I catch three things to tick my boxes: 16th century former coaching inn, contemporary décor and Farrow and Ball pastel shades. I have found my spiritual home: The Plume Of Feathers. It has the most wonderful airy conservatory, fantastic food and, believe it or not, there was even a 5 litre tin of F&B propping up the bar when we arrived. Off season is obviously a good time for running repairs.

Trerice is a small, and perfectly formed, Elizabethan manor house. It’s far more intimate than the likes of Lanhydrock, which we visited over the summer. And, as such, it feels more ‘lived in’.

The Great Hall is the only place in the house where photos are allowed and then not with flash.

It’s a beautiful house in a gorgeous location.

This is Watergate Bay, a lovely stretch of beach just north of Newquay.

And Mawgan Porth, another 5 minutes or so further north again..

There was even time for a toffee ice cream in Padstow, or Padstein as it’s lately come to be known. Rick does have a big presence in the town but it’s none the worse for that. It makes a lovely place to wander for an hour or so, around the harbour and the narrow shopping streets. A moment to watch the tide coming in, before heading back towards home.

For Want of an App

pin it?

2017-11-06T22:06:47+00:00 October 26th, 2012|Tags: |

1. simone October 26, 2012 at 4:40 pm - Reply

Didn’t you have wonderful weather? I don’t think it is toffee ice cream weather today however, more like toffee pud!!!

• Jessica October 26, 2012 at 5:12 pm - Reply

This year we’ve taken advantage of the good days as they’ve presented themselves – few and far between!
      You’re right about today. Time to get the thermals out!

2. wherethejourneytakesme October 26, 2012 at 5:00 pm - Reply

I don’t have any of these modern techie gadgets – even my basic mobile is hardly ever charged – so we have to go everywhere by old fashioned map and a wadge of leaflets re: coffee shops etc that I have collected. We nearly always get lost as I am not the best map reader and there always seems to be more junctions and roads in reality than there are on my map – but I do like getting lost – we have found some delightful places this way!! Looks like you had a lovely day out and those same brilliant blue skies that we had at the weekend. It is a very picturesque corner of the world – we once stayed down the road at Perranporth and St Agnes Bay. Have a good weekend. x

• Jessica October 26, 2012 at 5:20 pm - Reply

Even the gadgets can get you lost, and spectacularly so. I never used to finish up in farmyards when reading the old fashioned map!
      You have a good weekend too, and a great time in Shrewsbury.

3. Denise October 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm - Reply

Aye the weather is turning – got my new boots on today and my thermal tights – and yes I saw somebody with flip-flops on!

• Jessica October 26, 2012 at 5:28 pm - Reply

Yep, down here too. I’m all bundled up in countless layers and there’s people walking around in strapless tops!

4. BadPenny October 26, 2012 at 6:25 pm - Reply

Padstein ha ha ! what a beautiful part of the world.

I am so awful at map reading that I am grateful for Sat Navs & aps. We gave my niece a Sat Nav as she got terribly lost one visit.. we programmed in our address so she could find us the next time !

• Jessica October 26, 2012 at 6:35 pm - Reply

They are wonderful when they work. The one on my phone seems to be partially reliant on signal (for the maps). This is less than helpful down here. Suddenly the blue spot that is tracking our progress disappears into a big black hole!

5. Rosie October 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm - Reply

The last photo with all the different seaside blues in it is stunning and Trerice looks wonderful, I too like the smaller more homely properties. Lunch out and a toffee ice cream sounds perfect:)

• Jessica October 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm - Reply

Thanks Rosie. I don’t suppose there will be too many more days like this for a while, so we made the most of it!

6. elaine October 27, 2012 at 7:45 pm - Reply

I wonder why I have to fill in all my details every time I try to leave a comment on your blog – are you trying to tell me something? Anyway it looks like you had a lovely day. I particularly like your last photo it looks so peaceful. Navigating and me don’t go together – if it wasn’t for the satnav we would get nowhere. Hallelujah for technology.

• Jessica October 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm - Reply

Oh Elaine, I don’t know what is happening here. I have just got Mike to try to leave a comment on his computer.. and it did ‘remember’ his details from the last time he tried. Does anyone else have this problem? Please let me know. I’m keen to try and fix it.

We were once stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in Wales. Then someone ahead of us turned off onto what looked like a single track road. Assuming he had used his satnav, an awful lot of people followed him, large lorries as well. The lane was so narrow it took ages to get through. Especially as one poor soul was coming the other way..! In one small hamlet everyone came out of their homes to see what was happening. But we did all get through, and back on the route.

7. Anne Dickens October 28, 2012 at 11:11 am - Reply

Oooh I say, Trerice looks truly lovely, I shall have to pay a visit next time I am in Cornwall. Loved the picture of Padstow, I reckon you must have been standing almost on the same spot that I stood a couple of months ago. Did you eat at one of Rick Stein’s eateries in the end?

• Jessica October 28, 2012 at 11:39 am - Reply

Not this time, Anne. But we’ve eaten at The Seafood Restaurant in the past. We stopped for lunch on the way to somewhere else. Stupid. This is not a place to be rushed. It is exquisite.

8. Natalie October 30, 2012 at 1:19 am - Reply

England, so beautiful! I’m due for another visit.

• Jessica October 30, 2012 at 9:30 am - Reply

There are many beautiful places, yes. But also in Canada, which I’d love to visit one day.