Deluge

We’ve had a bit of rain. It’s been raining all summer, I know. But the last couple of days it has reached almost biblical proportions.

It started on Thursday. Just overcast at home, but by the time we reached town the rain was torrential. Water poured out of drainpipes and gutters overflowed. Streets and pavements literally did become rivers. What astounded me was the speed at which it all happened. By the time I reached the hairdresser, less than 1/4 mile from the car, my sweatshirt and jeans were soaked through. And that was with an umbrella.

Further up the coast in Clovelly it was considerably worse. There, the hill is much steeper and the cobbled path narrows towards the lower part of the village, funneling the water as it goes. It made the national evening news.

Mike took these pictures yesterday, braving ground that has turned into a bog. The river at the bottom of the garden.

2017-03-05T18:07:18+00:00 October 13th, 2012|Tags: |14 Comments

1. Simone October 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm - Reply

Nice weather for geese?

• Jessica October 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm - Reply

And ducks. But maybe not rusty ones 🙂

2. BadPenny October 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm - Reply

Beautiful photos. The power of that water is scary !

• Jessica October 13, 2012 at 4:35 pm - Reply

It’s sounding pretty scary too… and it’s still raining!

3. john October 13, 2012 at 6:09 pm - Reply

I am begining to hate the rain almost as much as I dislike Jimmy Saville
    ( and I can say that because I have met him twice)

• Jessica October 13, 2012 at 6:26 pm - Reply

Yes, of course.. Spinal injuries. Just as unpleasant off camera, it seems.

4. Vera October 13, 2012 at 6:50 pm - Reply

We could do with some rain down here in SW France as we have not had any for weeks and weeks and could do with a drop or two. Have given up with trying to plant any winter veg as the ground is too hard, but there’s always next year, and at least the tomatoes have kept growing, so swings and roundabouts. Hope you stay in good spirits, and that you have a good weekend.

• Jessica October 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Thanks Vera. If it carries on like this, I will be coming down to join you. I’ve also given up planting for the year. No point in a quagmire! Next year I hope.

5. Josephine October 14, 2012 at 8:35 pm - Reply

There is a LOT of power in water, we found out just how much, when the entire city of Nashville, and surrounding counties, were deluged with a monumental thousand year flood in 2010.
    I have a whole new respect for raging creeks and rivers.
    Hope the sunshine comes out soon 🙂
    ~Jo

• Jessica October 14, 2012 at 9:16 pm - Reply

I worry that we will have a whole load more extreme weather in years to come, wherever we live.

6. Rosie October 15, 2012 at 11:29 am - Reply

That does look like a deluge! I saw Clovelly suffering from it on the news. I remember visiting there when I was a child. Although we haven’t had the amount of rain you have had our lawns are squelching and we try not to walk on them. No chance of a final cut this year before winter sets in. I think in most cases I’ve seen and heard of flooding over the last few years it is the quickness it happens that everybody remembers:)

• Jessica October 15, 2012 at 12:07 pm - Reply

Yes, like you there is a lot I wanted to do by way of autumn clearing. But there’s just no way at the moment. Very soggy leaves piling up everywhere!

7. ropcorn October 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm - Reply

Great photos! The river looks so mysterious somehow… Hope you have had some sun by now. 🙂

• Jessica October 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm - Reply

Gloriously sunny this weekend. Hurray!