Boxes

The last ones to go.

They’re mostly full of books. And there’s a similar stack on the other side of the dining room too. In our rented cottage they were stored in an attic room so the contents haven’t seen the light of day in years. Getting some bookshelves is the obvious solution. But with the kitchen coming up the budget is getting tight. So the plan is to make them ourselves.

They are going here, up against the modern (straight!) stud wall. As it’s not a solid wall the floor will need to carry all the weight. I want to recover the sofas at some point too, probably when we do the main redecorating work on the room.

The TV screen is in urgent need of a proper support.. perhaps a rustic cupboard to hide it away completely?

And then there’s that pair of chairs in the making too.

We’ll need a lot of wood. But I’m hoping it might end up looking something like this:

How many weeks till Christmas?

2017-03-05T18:09:29+00:00 October 9th, 2012|Tags: , , , |24 Comments

1. Simone October 9, 2012 at 11:38 am - Reply

That’s a lovely plan! It is good to see that you are making use of the recently purchased computer package!

• Jessica October 9, 2012 at 11:51 am - Reply

I am hooked on it, Simone! But it needs a few workarounds, being fairly cheap and inflexible. I had to ‘build’ the fireplace from its component parts: a bit of wall here, a beam there, to make it work.

But that’s still the easy bit. Actually constructing the bookshelves will be a whole new ball game.

2. Denise October 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm - Reply

Ooooooooooooooooh upholstery? You do that? WOW! We have a new TV console table coming on Thursday for our snug – we are now in there for the winter it would seem! Just getting 2 new cushions made for the settee too – then there’s some finishing off to do in the kitchen – a bit of tiling – floor tiles to finish and then a tad of painting – that should keep us sorted until Christmas – oh and there’s the bathroom!

• Jessica October 9, 2012 at 1:07 pm - Reply

To say I did upholstery would be a tad premature.. this is my first ever attempt! And I thought my task list was long…!

3. john October 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm - Reply

am loving that bookcase…
    we have a similar one in the bedroom
    its my favourite feature

• Jessica October 9, 2012 at 4:37 pm - Reply

Thank you John. Just ordered the wood.. no going back now.

4. BadPenny October 9, 2012 at 8:01 pm - Reply

Wow – the design looks fab ! The whitewahed walls remind me of when we lived in Spain. Love your TV table !

• Jessica October 9, 2012 at 9:31 pm - Reply

Thanks Penny. Very envious of living in Spain.

5. Rosie October 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm - Reply

The planned bookcase is great and it will look wonderful along the wall in your lovely room:)

• Jessica October 9, 2012 at 9:50 pm - Reply

Thanks Rosie. It’s a lot of work.. we’ve not attempted anything quite so ambitious before.

6. where the journey takes me October 9, 2012 at 10:49 pm - Reply

My dream would be to have a Library just like you would find in any National Trust house – failing that a wall of books like yours would be perfect. I was looking at your chairs with the pile of springs and just think OMG – I wish I was brave enough to attempt something so challenging – I will be waiting to read the posts when you get the re-upholstery to decide if I dare have a go with my retro Parker Knoll.

• Jessica October 9, 2012 at 11:23 pm - Reply

The upholstery is one big experiment… Mike said I should have started with a footstool. He’s right. But I’ve always been the same. Straight in at the deep end. But isn’t this whole house like that? I will post progress, c*ck ups and all!

• where the journey takes me October 10, 2012 at 11:18 pm - Reply

I will hold off ringing around my long list of upholsterers and wait to see how you get on -then I will know if I dare attempt mine!

• Jessica October 11, 2012 at 8:51 am - Reply

I too have a long list. One of Mike’s aunts suggested I go on a course. I thought I’d attempt one chair, see if I enjoyed it/still have any fingers left, and then go on the course armed with a long list of questions. Watch this space.. it’s my first winter project! Jx

7. starproms October 10, 2012 at 2:40 am - Reply

Ooh clever you. It’s going to look lovely. Doesn’t look too bad now though I understand about the books. It will be nice to see your books again won’t it!

• Jessica October 10, 2012 at 7:13 am - Reply

I’ve almost forgotten what’s in there, Oma!

8. BadPenny October 10, 2012 at 8:02 am - Reply

our TV table is from IKEA several years ago – I had baskets to put in as draws which fitted perfectly – I think I’d used them for cat beds before but cats will always find their own beds ( Billy has taken over the ironing basket not that I iron much ! ) Living in Spain was idyllic but I have never regretted moving back.

• Jessica October 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Thanks for the info. The baskets look really good!

9. Josephine October 10, 2012 at 6:26 pm - Reply

I confess to having several of those surprise boxes, still lurking in the attic, when we made our last move…..twenty six years ago !
    I love, love, love your open fireplace, how nostalgic….
    You seem to be adapt at using your CAD program, it promises all kinds of different ideas.
    ~Jo

• Jessica October 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm - Reply

Ah yes, the attic ones… out of sight out of mind!
      The fireplace with the boxes in front of it is covered with black paint and then a clear lacquer on top of that. How much fun am I going to have getting that lot off??

10. elaine October 11, 2012 at 2:23 pm - Reply

The room should look lovely – you can’t beat books to make a room look homely – looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

• Jessica October 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Thanks Elaine, that’s exactly what we thought too.

11. Natalie October 12, 2012 at 12:59 am - Reply

Oh I do love your home!! I can relate to the boxes of books. We are getting some bookshelves built soon. I hope the upstairs doesn’t collapse from the weight of all the books. 🙂

Love those ceiling beams!

• Jessica October 12, 2012 at 9:38 am - Reply

Thanks Natalie. Yep, ours have to stay on the ground floor!