Water In The Works

It was raining hard again last night.

Mike woke early and tried to switch on a downstairs light. Nothing. Fumbling around with the fuse box before six in the morning, he discovered the trouble lay with the outside lights. The power had been off for sometime. The freezer display now reads -8. It should be -18. Our new water treatment plant had come to a halt. The alarm clock would not have gone off.

The outside lights were one of the bonuses I’d discovered, the day that we bought the house. We’d expended enough energy by nightfall to justify a slope off down the pub. The lights are placed at low level, all down the drive and up the steps to the road. The effect is quite magical. Reminiscent of hotels on tropical islands, where the rooms are thatched cabins spread out through the grounds. It will be a while before we get to see one of those places again!

And so, in the meantime, the task is to find which one of our lights has a problem. There’s about 40 of them in total and half as many junction boxes again.

Harsh reality is getting closer. What is it going to be like, down here in our isolated valley.. when the winter weather really starts to set in?

2017-03-05T18:12:52+00:00 October 3rd, 2012|Tags: |18 Comments

1. Sue October 3, 2012 at 11:07 am - Reply

Goodness me, it doesn’t sound much fun. Entertaining to read about though if that’s any comfort.

• Jessica October 3, 2012 at 11:32 am - Reply

Thanks Sue! Must see if Nigel Slater has ever covered cooking on a log fire..

2. Penny October 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm - Reply

I do like those lights nestling in the moss. Finding the faulty ones reminds me of trying to find the one faulty bulb on the Christmas tree lights!
    What sort of winter are we in for ? wet most likely -. where abouts are you ?

• Jessica October 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm - Reply

I did hear a forecast of a hard winter, but then they said that last year! Down here in the West Country I gather it tends to be generally milder and wetter. But before last year, there were two exceptionally harsh winters here too.

3. starproms October 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm - Reply

You’ll have to watch your step I suppose, in the dark especially. What a shame. I’m sure they look very magical shining out from the flowers!

• Jessica October 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm - Reply

The man is on the case as we speak. Except that it looks like it’s about to rain. Again!

4. Simone October 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm - Reply

You have definitely got your work cut out for yourselves that’s for sure! Try to treat it all as a romantic adventure!!!

• Jessica October 3, 2012 at 5:47 pm - Reply

An adventure for sure, in never knowing what is going to happen next!

5. elaine October 3, 2012 at 7:25 pm - Reply

We are always getting power cuts here – so I have emergency candles, bottled gas cookers and rations as we never know when the next one will hit. Luckily we have a wood burning stove to compensate for when the heating goes off. Oh the joys of winter in the country.

• Jessica October 3, 2012 at 7:36 pm - Reply

Quite! We bought a small back up generator from our predecessor, but no idea how it works. Better find out I think!

6. Rosie October 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm - Reply

The pathway lights sound wonderful, when working of course, not so when they don’t I expect. I do hope you find the problem light soon. Also hope your freezer contents are ok:)

• Jessica October 3, 2012 at 8:52 pm - Reply

It’s totally black out there at the moment. Torch in one hand, brolly in the other.. freezer OK (I think). Thanks, Rosie.

7. Josephine October 4, 2012 at 12:40 am - Reply

I love outdoor landscaping lights, they certainly do make the paths and landscaping
    magical.
    Hope the ‘fix’ is simple, and not number 39 !
    Aah, the joys of being off the beaten track, nothing compares 🙂
    ~Jo

• Jessica October 4, 2012 at 9:17 am - Reply

I’d totally agree with the last point right now, and hope I still do come next spring!

8. young at heart October 4, 2012 at 9:25 am - Reply

oh my…….. tread carefully and good luck!!

• Jessica October 4, 2012 at 9:47 am - Reply

Hello young at heart, thank you, we will need it. Welcome to rusty duck.

9. where the journey takes me October 4, 2012 at 7:15 pm - Reply

I love your lights but hope you don’t wake up one morning to find an aircraft has landed on your driveway!! We could do with something similar at our cottage as in the winter we are plunged into darkness as no street lights nearby. We are always going to the pub at the top of the lane and forgetting to take the torch with us for our return. I am sure with a bit of careful planning you will weather the winter – stock up with tin foods and a camping stove – you can pretend you are in an Enid Blyton adventure!

• Jessica October 4, 2012 at 7:49 pm - Reply

Fear not, they’re still not fixed..