[layerslider id="5"]

So, our first box has a tick.

As all that sophisticated equipment continues to whirr away happily in its hole in the drive we now come to terms with the reality of biomass. My standard model of household routine has gone out of the window. Although there wasn’t that much to go out if I’m brutally honest. But our enforced embracing of ‘green’ does have its implications. Product labels have to be scrutinised. (And why is the small print always so ridiculously small?) Cleaning agents with the greatest capability of engendering bacterial genocide have to go in the bin.

Little and often seems to be the general rule. No longer can I store up a fortnight’s worth of laundry to do on one day. Nor whirl around the house with copious quantities of Harpic and Dettol Multisurface Cleaner as the visitor’s car still negotiates its way cautiously down the drive.

Loading the machine with its single wash of the day my thoughts turn back to the kitchen.

The onset of autumn has improved our circumstances not a jot.

But we have been making progress. I’ve found a local cabinet maker to work up the initial idea. At the beginning of the month Jon came round to measure up. To do it properly he wanted us to make a hole in the partition that separates the main kitchen space from the pantry. Worktop level would be ideal. I didn’t need any persuading and took a chisel to the brown ceramic tiles with relish. Mike bashed an opening through the plasterboard and from that point on there was no turning back.

The Dualit placed in front of the hole will do it for now.

2017-03-05T18:15:36+00:00 September 27th, 2012|Tags: , |

1. john September 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm - Reply

I love glimpses ( even tiny ones) into other people’s houses

• Jessica September 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm - Reply

Next time you see it, it will be quite different. I hope.

2. Simone September 27, 2012 at 6:41 pm - Reply

It will all be worth it in the end!

• Jessica September 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm - Reply

I do hope so, Simone! I’m itching to get a scraper behind those cork tiles..

3. where the journey takes me September 27, 2012 at 10:58 pm - Reply

Familiar scenes – I hope your renovating moves along faster than ours is going – we have had our new bathroom suite for the cottage since 2005 and still waiting for it to be installed. I can’t even remember what it looks like!
    PS The cork tiles are like one giant notice board but great for pinning pictures up – we had some in the 70’s in our house in Cheltenham – very retro!!!

• Jessica September 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm - Reply

If it were the West Country I’d say you had a contractor who said he’d do it ‘dreckley’. I don’t know what the Scottish equivalent is.! I hope I don’t have cork tiles for 7 years. There’s retro.. and there’s retro!

4. Josephine September 28, 2012 at 12:47 am - Reply

I admit to being one of those lavender products lovers…bleach included.
    We have only had one backup in twenty five years, but that one was enough !
    Your kitchen looks so much bigger, it’ll be a lot of work, but well-worth it.
    ~Jo

• Jessica September 28, 2012 at 9:26 am - Reply

It is amazing what removing one small stud partition can do. If it looks anything like the ‘artists impression’ I will be well chuffed.

5. Rosie September 28, 2012 at 8:49 am - Reply

Looks like another huge undertaking for you. We took out the kitchen units here a few years ago and replaced them with a new kitchen – the worst thing was replacing the tiles on the floor as the people who fitted the previous units had tiled up to them instead right up to the walls behind. Good luck with the project:)

• Jessica September 28, 2012 at 9:23 am - Reply

Replacing a kitchen is so disruptive. One of the reasons (apart from the obvious) why I wanted to get it done first. Thanks Rosie.

6. Natalie September 29, 2012 at 2:54 pm - Reply

I feel your pain. We’ve been dealing with renos since April and it’s not over yet. I keep telling myself it will all be worth it in the end!!

We have a septic field and a septic tank and I try to be careful about what ends up there. I like baking soda for cleaning the bathtub and sinks, and I’ve found a good laundry detergent that is ennviro-friendly.

Your kitchen will look great when it’s done!

• Jessica September 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm - Reply

I used to joke that this house is a ten year project (with the garden as well). I think I underestimated. But it is worth the effort. Keep smiling..

7. Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden October 3, 2012 at 10:54 am - Reply

And you do know what antibiotics do to the flora in your tank? Apparently a cup full of sugar will sort that out. What can you say to a guest who comes to stay and is on a course of antibiotics?

• Jessica October 3, 2012 at 11:01 am - Reply

Yes, I hadn’t thought about that..