I’ve Started..

..so I’ll finish?!

Remember that chair I showed you a few weeks ago? Since then I’ve stripped it right back down to the frame (that was the fun bit) and started to build it back up.

The webbing has been replaced with new and the springs attached. Despite appearances, I didn’t buy the wrong size! They are in fact the original springs which, given their reasonable condition, I’ve re-used. They’ll reduce in height when I ‘lash’ them down at the next stage. Each layer of stuffing and hessian will then compact them further and of course once the end result is sat upon the springs will compress, giving that lovely feeling of sinking into a well upholstered chair. I hope.

As a work in progress, the chair currently resides in my study and workroom. It’s a bit cramped. It’s extremely cramped. But it has a decent view out over the garden and will be a warm and cosy place to work once winter sets in. It’s getting quite exciting!

2017-11-06T20:45:10+00:00 September 13th, 2012|Tags: |

1. brismod September 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm - Reply

You are so brave to reupholster that chair! It is so elegant. I’ll look forward to seeing how it goes! xx

• Jessica September 13, 2012 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Hi, thank you for popping by. Like you, I love picking up vintage things for my home. If I can repurpose or restore something, so much the better. But this is a big one.. deep breaths!

2. Simone September 13, 2012 at 6:34 pm - Reply

I look forward to seeing the finished result! I bet you will do a lovely job!

• Jessica September 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm - Reply

You’re very kind Simone. But it may not be quick. I’ve already done the webbing twice…

3. Josephine September 14, 2012 at 10:56 pm - Reply

It’s a lovely old piece, and will be just like a new chair once you have put it all back in place.
    Quite a big project to undertake, you have vision 🙂
    ~Jo

• Jessica September 14, 2012 at 11:27 pm - Reply

Now that it is sitting here in my study it will haunt me until it is done.. and then there’s its twin. Which needs to be EXACTLY the same. OMG.

4. starproms September 15, 2012 at 12:12 am - Reply

I’m sure it will turn out just fine and I’m looking forward to seeing it as it comes along. Clever girl!

• Jessica September 15, 2012 at 9:36 am - Reply

Thanks Oma.

5. Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden September 15, 2012 at 10:55 pm - Reply

You are clever. What a stunner it will be when you have finished, but I like it sitting – a work in progress – with a view over the garden.

• Jessica September 16, 2012 at 10:23 am - Reply

And it’s very tempting to leave it that way, Jeneane! But this blog will be an incentive to keep things moving.