Don’t Stop Me Now

It’s a tomato. With ambition.

Above and beyond the greenhouse roof.

But assuming it fruits before it is frosted, how are we going to pick it?

2017-11-06T20:41:05+00:00 September 6th, 2012|Tags: |

1. Josephine September 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm - Reply

With a ladder and a pair of garden shears, and you’d best be quick, otherwise those pesky squirrels will claim it as their own πŸ˜‰
    ~Jo

• Jessica September 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm - Reply

You’re right about the squirrels – hadn’t thought about them. I had thought that at least my tomatoes would be safe from the mice up there??!

2. Mise September 6, 2012 at 9:52 pm - Reply

Ah, Jessica, of course you have an airer; now that I’ve read about your house it’s clear that it wouldn’t be complete without one. I’m looking forward to some interior photos when the darkening evenings turn your attention from the outdoors.

• Jessica September 6, 2012 at 10:44 pm - Reply

Hi Mise, thank you for stopping by. Love your blog. Indoors is a horror story. But yes, you’re right, I can’t put it off forever!

3. starproms September 7, 2012 at 2:58 am - Reply

How did it do that? I am impressed. You’re going to need a step ladder to reach it, aren’t you? Can you be bothered I wonder?

• Jessica September 7, 2012 at 9:52 am - Reply

It depends how much of a glut I have INSIDE the greenhouse. So far, it’s only flowering. It will probably be frosted before any fruit ripens. 4 deg C crossed a weather man’s lips a couple of days ago. You are in the right place! Hope you had a good flight.

4. Rosie September 8, 2012 at 4:48 pm - Reply

It must have been determined to get out into the open air to struggle in between the metal and glass like that!:)

• Jessica September 8, 2012 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Or I need a new greenhouse?

5. Simone September 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm - Reply

Are you sure it is a tomato plant and not a giant beanstalk?!!! You could try climbing it. You may find a hen that lays golden eggs at the top!

• Jessica September 8, 2012 at 6:00 pm - Reply

Now that would be one useful tomato plant!

6. Amy December 4, 2014 at 11:35 pm - Reply

Like Simone, I think this must be the stuff of fairy tales πŸ˜‰ I am also curious as to what marvelous tomato food you may be using…!

• Jessica December 4, 2014 at 11:51 pm - Reply

One of the plants did it again this year too… just to prove it wasn’t a fluke! I have been feeding the tomatoes but perhaps it also says a lot about the state of the greenhouse roof!

7. annamadeit November 4, 2015 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Oh, that’s funny! You have to admire the perseverance of plants – they want to thrive so badly, no matter where their roots happen to be. πŸ™‚

• Jessica November 4, 2015 at 10:12 pm - Reply

It never did bear fruit, as I recall, the frost got to it first.

8. Laura Heldreth November 5, 2015 at 2:14 am - Reply

That’s too cute! Thanks for the smile.

• Jessica November 5, 2015 at 10:31 am - Reply