Trug

Gardening’s got so complicated of late.

Planting a new acquisition used to require just two things. The plant. And a fork. Perhaps a handful of chicken manure to throw into the hole. And maybe a pair of gloves to protect what I laughingly call my nails.

But not any more.

First, there were the wire clippers that I’ve mentioned before (here). And the latest development? Plumbing. We’ve decided to install a garden irrigation system. Yes, I know. It’s been the wettest summer in England and Wales for 100 years. The days it’s been dry enough to get out on the land can be counted on my fingers and perhaps a couple of toes.

Does this mean that we got the kit cheaply? No. Time controlled from a computer fixed to the outside tap, water will flow automatically to six different circuits in turn. It’s supposed to liberate the hours spent running around with a watering can to tend to vulnerable new plants.

By the time summer returns I’ll be ready. To sit down of an evening, Pinot Grigio in hand. Even if summer only happens in March.

2017-11-06T20:40:03+00:00 September 4th, 2012|Tags: |

1. Justine September 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm - Reply

Goodness, that does look impressive/professional/expensive!
    On the (very few) days when I’ve lugged a watering can around the greenhouse I’ve longed for an in-built watering system!

• Jessica September 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm - Reply

Hi Justine. It’s a LOT of work to set it up, so I am desperately hoping it is going to be a time saver in the long run. And yes, expensive. We are having to spread the cost by doing bits of the garden as we go round it. I just hope the manufacturer doesn’t discontinue any of the parts before we finish!!

2. Simone September 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm - Reply

We had a watering system when we moved into our home many years ago. I forgot it was there amongst the overgrown shrubs and cut through the cable on more than one occasion! Good luck with yours. They are great when they work!

• Jessica September 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm - Reply

I’ve done it already. I’m told the pipes must be buried, but then how to remember where they all are?!

3. john September 5, 2012 at 3:36 pm - Reply

love the “homes and antiques” choreographed photo
    quite lovely

• Jessica September 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm - Reply

Damn it, you caught me out. I could hardly photograph the normal black plastic job now could I?

4. Josephine September 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm - Reply

You’ll so enjoy the convenience.
    I wish we had irrigation, instead we have soaker hoses, controlled by a timer. They save hours of luggung the hose and watering can around.
    Love your garden trug, so very English, I thought for a minute you might have a custard tart tucked away in there 🙂
    ~Jo

• Jessica September 5, 2012 at 10:31 pm - Reply

Most of the garden is on clay – we just need a couple of hot days amidst all the rain and it bakes solid. So, even this year, irrigation isn’t as crazy as it sounds! I usually use the trug for collecting in the veg, so it’s not very clean. Shame, custard tart would be a much better idea. Hope your ankle is getting better. Jx