Do Mice Hibernate?

Mesh Wm

If they do, ours have still to get the hang of it. They spent a quiet Christmas in the tool shed where, en famille, they managed to overcome several layers of duct tape and gnaw through the chainsaw’s priming bubble – AGAIN! Worse was to follow. It occurred to Mike that the chainsaw is not the only tool in the shed with a bubble. The leaf blower is similarly endowed. Or… was. Unlikely as it may seem, petrol filled ‘bubbles’ are mince pies with brandy butter to a mouse.

Once he had calmed down, a bit, Mike made a call to put the parts on order. I could only hear one side of the conversation but it was clear that the man at the Stihl dealer thought it was quite funny… which, as you can imagine, did little to improve the general mood.

And did it end there? No.

There’s also the Flymo. Only this time it’s a bit more problematic. Our Flymo is very old, so old in fact that petrol ones aren’t made any more. Parts, bubbles included, fall into the antique category. It may be a long hard slog to find one, even with all the power of Google. And once again I am left with the feeling that it is somehow all my fault. “Wife’s Wildlife” have dropped me in it. Again.

Do Mice Hibernate_

pin it?

2017-03-04T17:39:39+00:00 January 7th, 2013|Tags: |28 Comments

1. Denise January 7, 2013 at 2:16 pm - Reply

We discovered a mouse which had found its way into the motorbike and managed to sleep under the seat next to the waterproof trousers stored there!

• Jessica January 7, 2013 at 4:16 pm - Reply

Good grief! Is there anywhere safe from them???

2. John January 7, 2013 at 2:55 pm - Reply

To answer your question ……..and given the amount of bodies Albert brings in …I would say no

Having said this I was once asked by a fellow nurse

” do seals have bones?”

• Jessica January 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm - Reply

Maybe if it gets colder the mice will slow down a bit… maybe??
      Do seals have bones?

3. Rosie January 7, 2013 at 4:31 pm - Reply

I think they hibernate in your shed and just wake up for three meals a day!! Years ago we found a mouse behind the washing machine, it took us a while to grasp why the cats kept watching the machine going round! It looked as if it had been there for days and had filched a few cat biscuits to eat. I dread to think what it felt like when the machine was running!:)

• Jessica January 7, 2013 at 5:29 pm - Reply

If it was still alive when you found it, it would have been very shaky and stone deaf I imagine!

• Rosie January 7, 2013 at 6:51 pm - Reply

It was – alive that is – that’s what had attracted the cats:)

• Jessica January 7, 2013 at 7:08 pm - Reply

🙂

4. Simone January 7, 2013 at 4:52 pm - Reply

Words fail me!!!

• Jessica January 7, 2013 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Unfortunately, Mike did have plenty to say about it at the time..

5. Vera January 7, 2013 at 5:43 pm - Reply

Yes, mice do hibernate. They just come into the ‘hotel’ we run here. Why would they want to stay down a damp old hole when they can romp around inside our walls! Hope all the bubbles are acquired.

• Jessica January 7, 2013 at 6:17 pm - Reply

I suppose that’s why they like the tool shed. Apart from the bubbles, that is.

6. the veg artist January 7, 2013 at 5:43 pm - Reply

You need cats, preferably farm cats. They tend to have a very strong work ethic!

• Jessica January 7, 2013 at 6:26 pm - Reply

🙂
      You’re right, of course. It’s the thought of the ones that get brought in (plus the birds) in varying states of health and composition that puts me off!

7. Anne January 7, 2013 at 7:22 pm - Reply

If you want to catch the little rotters, my late father-in-law swore by liquorice allsorts as bait!! Oh no, now that I have mentioned them I am going to have to eat some from the box Malcolm gave me for Christmas!!

• Jessica January 7, 2013 at 7:45 pm - Reply

I was going to say… I would be very tempted to eat them on the way to the mousetrap.

8. where the journey takes me January 7, 2013 at 11:42 pm - Reply

Hibernate…who told you that? The only hibernation our Scottish mice do is come into the warm shed and gnaw at the grey foam pipe lagging leaving it as little foam chips which obviously drop straight off the pipes!! I think you have mice with AHAD have you tried Ritalin to calm them down a bit? …or maybe just give it straight to Mike…it sounds like he needs something! 🙂

• Jessica January 8, 2013 at 9:52 am - Reply

Oh dear. I was hoping the winter cold might slow them down a bit!

9. CherryPie January 8, 2013 at 12:54 am - Reply

We have had those little mices but next doors numerous cats wiped them all out… :-/

• Jessica January 8, 2013 at 9:55 am - Reply

I fear it is something we will need to live with… being surrounded by woodland, even if we managed to get rid of the ones we have now, more would just move in!

10. haggiz January 8, 2013 at 7:38 am - Reply

Our little beggars in the garage don’t seem very sleepy! Julie x

• Jessica January 8, 2013 at 9:56 am - Reply

Those little black eyes are looking very shiny and perky here too..

11. Em January 8, 2013 at 10:06 am - Reply

I think they just amass more bedding in winter from whatever they can gnaw on in our sheds. In our case, my son’s foam swimming float would now service an elf and the pony’s rugs are getting a lace trim!

• Jessica January 8, 2013 at 11:42 am - Reply

It’s just amazing what they will eat isn’t it??? Shame about the pony’s rugs though.. That sounds expensive.

12. Ann January 9, 2013 at 6:16 am - Reply

I’m no fan of mice…
    Oh maybe just Mickey and Minnie 🙂

I’m so scared of mice.

• Jessica January 9, 2013 at 9:55 am - Reply

Hello Ann & welcome to rusty duck!
      I know what you mean about mice… touching wood and keeping everything crossed, they are not in the house at the moment. I think I would feel differently about them if they were.

13. Marvin Roman April 3, 2013 at 3:39 pm - Reply

I found this website in looking for an answer to mice hibernation, and I can only confirm that I believe it’s true that they do NOT hibernate and do slow down in cold weather. I am still trying to locate all possible locations where they get in to the attic from the ground. I’ve had the problem of them getting into the walls and dying and smelling. I haven’t actually seen any get into the house for the three years I’ve lived in this house. For the last 3 months, I have been checking mouse traps that I’ve set up in the attic. I’ve caught eleven, but I do notice that they are small mice, which leads me to believe that it must be a small entry point in the house and I’m catching them before they get larger. Oh, well, after trying to plug all entry points around the house, I just noticed another possible entry point that I’m going to cement closed today. Anybody have any ways to detect possible entry points, let me know…..

• Jessica April 3, 2013 at 5:43 pm - Reply

Hi Marvin, thank you for your comment and welcome to rusty duck!
      I think you’re right, they do just slow down in cold weather. All through winter there have been signs of activity in the outhouses. I’ve heard them in the attic too, and I’ve no idea how they get in because the walls are solid and over two feet thick. I can only assume they climb up pipework and external wiring and in under the roof. Real pests!